2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (24000rpm, 1957, Animisha, brennbaer, Beowulf, A. Lucato, Boboulus, 9 invisible), 466 guests, and 397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
L
L
Would agree with the suggestion to post this question to one of the different forums, possible the Adult Beginners forum. I'm sure others are interested...
In a nutshell, you first you need to be able to determine the key a song is in, and from there start working out the melody and chords. This comes from ear training to recognize intervals, and a basic understanding of chords/harmony. You also at least need to know the major scale in different keys, as chords are built from scale degrees and triads. With time you can pick out common chord sounds (minor/major/7th/diminished etc.) and what they represent relative to the key (4th/5th etc.). Also, there are many chord patterns that recur frequently (1-IV-V etc.).

Former professional keyboard player and organist
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the responses, I won't derail the tread further and investigate your suggestions.

Initially I merely wanted to disagree with @magicpianos romanticised view of learning an instrument, since I think that any productive hobby that tries to teach an old dog new tricks always contains both: fun and frustration. Key point is not letting the latter get the better of you.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Granyala
Originally Posted by magicpiano
IMHO a trick to not stopping learning piano playing is to learn pieces that you like very much and that are just a little more advanced than your current skills. Motivation is very important. wink

Yeah.. would be nice if such pieces exist.
The kind of music I like is years beyond my skills. laugh
Well, I'm 100% sure there are pieces that you like and you could learn. The music produced in the last few centuries is so vast that it's simply impossible to not find something you like and you could learn at your level, whatever this level is. Of course you have to learn to walk before running, so if you, for example, like very much Hungarian Rhapsody N.2 from Liszt, and you are a beginner or slightly more than a beginner pianist, it would be very wrong to start from that.

Initially I merely wanted to disagree with @magicpianos romanticised view of learning an instrument, since I think that any productive hobby that tries to teach an old dog new tricks always contains both: fun and frustration. Key point is not letting the latter get the better of you.
I'll say it again: learning to play an instrument is a beautiful experience and it's even a very educative one, being that in life you have to work hard to get good results, whatever you're doing. There are no shortcuts. This is not a romantic view, it's a practical one. Moments of frustration during learning should be amply rewarded by moments of pleasure in playing with expression a composition you like. If that hadn't been the case, I would have long since given up playing the piano.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Labtech
Originally Posted by Gary001
Originally Posted by 9190
Yes, there is some news. For example, some discussion threads for future models have been removed from this forum. )

A thread discussing upcoming models was removed from the forum?

I'd understand that action if the thread poster was the one directly breaking their NDA, however, if information was posted elsewhere (for example the UK distributor KawaiJames referred to) and then discussed here and that thread was then deleted, then I'm quite appalled.

Can someone clear up exactly what happened here as I'm questioning my membership of this forum based on what I _think_ happened, and given that might not be the case, I'd like to be sure before I come to any incorrect conclusions.

The thread contained a direct image (I believe was hosted by this site) that showed the brochure in question. Likewise, that thread was the first Google result when searching for "Kawai ES920". I'm sure Kawai caught on and asked them to remove it, as they did with the UK distributor.

Classic example of ''loss aversion''...

Kawai: Sorry, our partners showed you the picture of our new piano by accident, and now we've stopped you from seeing that picture so our marketing plans aren't ruined, and asked for the thread to be deleted...
Users: "Appalling, how dare take away something we had no right to see in the first place!"

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doug M.
...[Kawai] asked for the thread to be deleted...

Just to clarify once again, to the best of my knowledge, nobody from Kawai requested that the thread be deleted.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Not publishing/removing leaks from piano companies is a good strategy for a website wanting to sell ad space for piano companies.

I get it and I can deal with it.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
Close the book. Play by ear. Hands will follow. Put on a uTube tune you like and jam along. Improvise. Get out of the box.
Interesting suggestion, I have a lot of pieces I like but no sheet music available. Always shied away from playing by ear because I never managed to find a point of entry

There are only 12 notes. Pick one of them. I'd say "smoke some weed" but that may not be your thing. I'll quote Nancy Regan: "just do it"! Lots of free ear training apps, uTube courses, etc. Work on your EAR. Sheet music is a crutch. Good luck!

I study with this cat in real life. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GspUTUL5F-o

Last edited by Skyscrapersax; 08/27/20 08:09 AM.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by Doug M.
...[Kawai] asked for the thread to be deleted...

Just to clarify once again, to the best of my knowledge, nobody from Kawai requested that the thread be deleted.

Kind regards,
James
x

oh, let me clarify: I totally believe you on this, and in no way am I suggesting Kawai asked pw for anything..

I am suggesting only that this 'conspiracy theory' is in the heads of the users accusing Kawai smile and openly mocking them (with my tongue firmly in my cheek) for blowing this all out of proportion.

Kind regards,

Doug.

P.S. at least it shows how excited people are for the new Kawai portables smile

Last edited by Doug M.; 08/27/20 09:04 AM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
L
L
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Not publishing/removing leaks from piano companies is a good strategy for a website wanting to sell ad space for piano companies.

Yeah, even if they did ask, I don't see what the big deal is. Business is business, and maintaining good relations is a strong priority.

And let's not pretend that rumors, whether true or not, do have an effect on the market. For example, I had every intention of waiting for the Kawai ES920. However, when I saw the specs on the leaked brochure, I completely changed my mind because I didn't see much difference from its predecessor. In my case, my decision was beneficial to Kawai, as I went with the more expensive MP11SE. But perhaps another person decided to go with Yamaha or Roland... or Williams. And what if the specs were false or incorrect?

It's one thing for users to speculate and gossip about upcoming models. It's another for them to post leaked vendor images and spread potential misinformation. The differences between the two ideologies may be insignificant for folks like us, but perhaps these companies see otherwise.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Labtech
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

Yeah, even if they did ask, I don't see what the big deal is. Business is business, and maintaining good relations is a strong priority.

And let's not pretend that rumors, whether true or not, do have an effect on the market. For example, I had every intention of waiting for the Kawai ES920. However, when I saw the specs on the leaked brochure, I completely changed my mind because I didn't see much difference from its predecessor. In my case, my decision was beneficial to Kawai, as I went with the more expensive MP11SE. But perhaps another person decided to go with Yamaha or Roland... or Williams. And what if the specs were false or incorrect?

It's one thing for users to speculate and gossip about upcoming models. It's another for them to post leaked vendor images and spread potential misinformation. The differences between the two ideologies may be insignificant for folks like us, but perhaps these companies see otherwise.

Yup, notice the sx3000 casio never went out of stock, when all the other popular models of the price group did. It was reviewed by you know who, black leather. That said, the action does have a really short pivot.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/27/20 11:17 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The title of this thread is "New Kawai models in August". But of what year? laugh

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by magicpiano
The title of this thread is "New Kawai models in August". But of what year? laugh
You're not thinking 4th dimensionally -magicP, It will be released in 2030 when the United States pandemic is finally over, but Kawai James will piloting the dolorean @ 88 Miles per hour to bring it back to us in September 2020.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/27/20 04:30 PM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Yup, notice the sx3000 casio never went out of stock, when all the other popular models of the price group did. It was reviewed by you know who, black leather. That said, the action does have a really short pivot.

And I returned it because of that really short pivot.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Me too

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present).
Kawai ES110. Mason & Hamlin acoustic.
J
J
New to the forum, but have some hot of the press specs for kawai latest offerings:

AVAILABLE
SEPTEMBER 2020

Kawai ES-520 portable digital piano
- Responsive Hammer Compact Il action
with grade-weighted keys
- Progressive harmonic Imaging, 88-key sampling
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX grand piano sound
- 34 voices, 192 note polyphony
- 20W+20W amplification,
2 x (8 x 12cm) speakers
- Bluetooth connectivity
MIDI in/out, USB to HOST, USB to device
- Power supply included.
- Bench and stand not included

AVAILABLE
SEPTEMBER 2020

Kawai ES-920 portable digital piano
- Responsive Hammer Ill action with Let-Off
- Harmonic Imaging XL, 88-key sampling
- Shigeru Kawai SK-EX grand piano sound
- 38 voices, 256 note polyphony
20W + 20W amplification,
2 x (8 x 12 cm) speakers
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Power supply included.

M
M
Originally Posted by Jdjboz
New to the forum, but have some hot of the press specs for kawai latest offerings:

AVAILABLE
SEPTEMBER 2020

Kawai ES-520 portable digital piano
- Responsive Hammer Compact Il action
with grade-weighted keys
- Progressive harmonic Imaging, 88-key sampling
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX grand piano sound
- 34 voices, 192 note polyphony
- 20W+20W amplification,
2 x (8 x 12cm) speakers
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Power supply included.

AVAILABLE
SEPTEMBER 2020

Kawai ES-920 portable digital piano
- Responsive Hammer Ill action with Let-Off
- Harmonic Imaging XL, 88-key sampling
- Shigeru Kawai SK-EX grand piano sound
- 38 voices, 256 note polyphony
20W + 20W amplification,
2 x (8 x 12 cm) speakers
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Power supply included.

Any idea of price? is there a third model coming out?

looks good.

http://www.scoreexchange.com/profiles/NigelFletcher

Dexibell P7 Kawai ES110 Yamaha PSR-S770
V
V
These are the same spec lists that were already "leaked" before and never confirmed or denied by kawai James.

Jdjboz: are you a bona fide first-time poster unaware of the previous threads that were removed, or are you just stirring the water to test if this thread is also deleted? In my humble opinion PW does not need more drama on this issue...

J
J
I wasn't aware of any removed posts, just sharing some info with people who are interested.

J
J
Price to be confirmed, only found listings on these two, also my local dealer confirmed 2 new models are due next month with new brochures being sent out as we speak, so it looks like that's it for now.

Last edited by Jdjboz; 08/28/20 02:13 PM.
V
V
In that case I suggest you take a look at the 10 posts before yours...

Last edited by vagfilm; 08/28/20 02:13 PM.
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Built in speaker or external steron peakers
by Jojovan - 04/18/21 07:09 AM
Heintzman at the White House?
by Retsacnal - 04/18/21 12:43 AM
Yamaha p45 vs YDP 144 vs Roland rp102
by Shortshoppy - 04/17/21 11:48 PM
Action Regulation on 1982 Steinway B
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 11:34 PM
Estonia pianos though the years?
by PeterV73 - 04/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,370
Posts3,083,696
Members101,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission