2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3018032 08/26/20 05:15 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone,

I’m currently considering purchasing an upright piano. I’ve pretty much narrowed this down to a used Yamaha SE132 or a brand new Yamaha YUS5 (not much difference in the price between the two.

I’m interested in people’s views on these two pianos, and if there is anything else for similar money I should consider, and why? I definitely want something 130cm or taller.

Thanks for your help

Jazzer

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hee's a recent PW thread on this issue.....

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2832433/yamaha-se-series-upright-pianos.html

How "used" is the SE132?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
The YUS line, as far as I'm aware, is made more or less to the specs of the CFX concert grand in terms of the strings, soundboard wood quality and felt used in the hammers.

It is pretty much the best upright piano available today.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
Carey #3018063 08/26/20 07:20 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Carey, thanks for the reply.

I had read through that thread before posting. I think the general thrust of it is that you don’t get an awful lot more for your money with the SE132. I was looking at an SE132 that was 2 years old for the same money as a new YUS5. It’s gone now, so trying to decide if I should wait it out for another one to come up, or just go for the YUS5.

I may give a Kawai 800 another go and I quite like my parents Petrof 125, though I’d like a bigger frame.

Interested i what folk think about any of these and if it’s worth the wait for a used SE132 to come up. Can’t afford one new smile

D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Be sure to play the YUS you consider buying. I was underwhelmed by one example I’ve tried but liked the other.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
The YUS line, as far as I'm aware, is made more or less to the specs of the CFX concert grand in terms of the strings, soundboard wood quality and felt used in the hammers.

It is pretty much the best upright piano available today.

I am not sure exactly what criteria are used to find "the best" piano. There is probably some subjectivity involved in such a designation. For some, it may indeed be the best upright available, if one chooses to ignore the offerings from Sauter, Bechstein, Steingraeber, Förster etc.

JG
J
OP Offline
J
Does anyone have any thoughts on a Sauter Masterclass 130?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Jazzerno1

I have never played or seen One

Having said that - I’ve read & heard Great things about Them, from people whose opinions I value

It’s said They are well made, powerful, have a clear sound & the action (RR, double-repetition action) is very precise & responsive

They are had to find. However, I have located One, and was planning to see & play It this week. Now, looks like that might happen next week

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 08/27/20 05:40 PM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
The YUS5 bigs me the way the music desk/front panel pops out. Silly perhaps, but oh well.

I would rather have the SE

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
WBLynch #3018693 08/28/20 03:55 PM
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by WBLynch
The YUS5 bigs me the way the music desk/front panel pops out. Silly perhaps, but oh well.

I would rather have the SE

I love that feature! That bugs you? I mean, I don't have the piano yet, but I hate those low, little music desks that are attached to the inside of the fallboard. Also, the YUS5's desk, when pulled out, exposes a tone panel. I can't wait to hear it when open.

Last edited by LarryK; 08/28/20 03:55 PM.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Originally Posted by Jazzerno1

I have never played or seen One

Having said that - I’ve read & heard Great things about Them, from people whose opinions I value

It’s said They are well made, powerful, have a clear sound & the action (RR, double-repetition action) is very precise & responsive

They are had to find. However, I have located One, and was planning to see & play It this week. Now, looks like that might happen next week

~Lucubrate
All the 122 and 130 Sauter uprights have double repetition and the most of the uprights I have played have a creative tone and a sensitive response .The models fall under the Classic , the Peter Maly and the Masterclass. The 130 pianos are my favourite. Also in other German uprights ,130 is a good size.
I did try 46 inch Bluthner which was very nice as well.
You just may find a used Sauter which would be nearer to the
price of the used SE132.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
On Brand Profiles I only see the Yamaha SU7 and not the SE132 .I am not sure what the difference is between these models ?

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Looking at the videos for the SE 132, they seem primarily in Europe? YouTube limitations noted but they sound nice.

David

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
All the 122 and 130 Sauter uprights have double repetition and the most of the uprights I have played have a creative tone and a sensitive response .
Just a few words of correction. I think what is meant is double escapement. (Double repetition conjures up visions of bobbling hammers)
However, there is no actual double escapement in Sauter upright actions. Indeed, there are only very few examples of true double escapements in verticals, most of which never went into production.
Numerous companies have incorporated designs featuring springs and magnets to improve touch and repetition, Sauter among them. But this is not double escapement.

JG
Supply #3018881 08/29/20 01:20 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Supply
All the 122 and 130 Sauter uprights have double repetition .Most of the uprights I have played have a creative tone and a sensitive response .
Just a few words of correction. I think what is meant is double escapement. (Double repetition conjures up visions of bobbling hammers)
However, there is no actual double escapement in Sauter upright actions. Indeed, there are only very few examples of true double escapements in verticals, most of which never went into production.
Numerous companies have incorporated designs featuring springs and magnets to improve touch and repetition, Sauter among them. But this is not double escapement.
Well yes an extra auxiliary spring .Most people by now know
that Sauter has a much quicker repitition than many other uprights.They have been providing uprights with this action for a long time.The piano feels very much Ike a grand.
I find it strange that that you seem to think I am deliberately
providing false information !!!
Is this just more nastiness about Sauter. Perhaps its jealousy or its to try and promote other pianos. Personally I find it pathetic !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/29/20 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is this just more nastiness about Sauter. Perhaps its jealousy or its to try and promote other pianos. Personally I find it pathetic !

Wow! Where does all this come from? Let's all relax!
First off, I am a huge Sauter fan. I have visited the factory twice and I am "per Du" with Ulrich Sauter, with whom I have had quite a few one on one conversations.
I have no intention of promoting other pianos; my intention is promote factual information and the correct use of terminology.
Surely no one can take offense to that?

JG
Supply #3018892 08/29/20 02:24 AM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L

Wow! Where does all this come from? Let's all relax!
First off, I am a huge Sauter fan. I have visited the factory twice and I am "per Du" with Ulrich Sauter, with whom I have had quite a few one on one conversations.
I have no intention of promoting other pianos; my intention is promote factual information and the correct use of terminology.
Surely no one can take offense to that?
OK I am sorry . Sauter has had this action for quite a long time.
Double Repetition has always been Sauters and Ulrich Sauters description not mine .This other thread of a Sauter MC has just knocked me sideways for the time being.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
For what is it worth I was in the Coach House yesterday morning trying out the Sauter Masterclass 122 as the 2000 Special limited edition had created a lot of interest. The latter has been sold but someone else insisted that they wanted that one and have apparently persuaded Sauter to make another. Anyway I tried the actions on the Sauter Masterclass and that was probably the best compared with a Yamaha SE which was the heaviest, a Kawai K300 which may have been the lightest, the Steingreiber & Sohne 130 and the Sauter 2000 special edition.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Double Repetition has always been Sauters and Ulrich Sauters description not mine .This other thread of a Sauter MC has just knocked me sideways for the time being.

I would really appreciate it if you would edit your original post and remove the ad hominem attack on me. That post is a stain on your otherwise brilliant reputation here.

JG
Supply #3019016 08/29/20 12:49 PM
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member

I would really appreciate it if you would edit your original post and remove the ad hominem attack on me. That post is a stain on your otherwise brilliant reputation here.
So 'OK I am sorry', as said by LadyBird, is insufficient for you?
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission