2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
83 members (Brahms4, anotherscott, accordeur, Beowulf, AaronSF, ando, austilat01, almo82, 22 invisible), 615 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Would be possible to build a piano that tunnes itself?
#3016615 08/22/20 11:04 AM
U
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
U
I am just imagining.

If the piano has motorized tunnig pins atached to some battery, capable of stretching with high precision every individual string. Plus a microphone, or several, that captures the sound and transfers it to a oscilloscope, so it can determine the rate at wich every string is vibrating, and compares it to the rate at wich it should vibrate, and then orders to the motorized pins to strectch the string as much as necesary. It also should have some device that mutes all the strings except the one being tunned. And maybe a device on the keys, so they can hit the strings without human help, so the owner just presses the Auto tunning button, goes out playing golf, and when is back home, the automatic tunning is done.

What do you think?

Re: Would be possible to build a piano that tunnes itself?
Ubu #3016624 08/22/20 11:14 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
You missed this thread?

Ubu #3016666 08/22/20 12:28 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
There are computers that can correct spelling. They work reasonably well, but they make a lot of mistakes. Tuning pianos is a lot more difficult, and involves moving things which do not want to move all that much compared to moving a few electrons to change spelling. At least with spelling, there are only a few choices to make, although somehow, computers still manage to choose the wrong one. With tuning, there is a continuous range of choices, so an infinite number. So not only do you need a computer that can choose from that range of choices, you need mechanical systems that can make those choices a reality. Even if someone could overcome those obstacles (and Don Gilmore never did), the system could easily cost more than having someone tune the piano for its entire lifetime.

Semipro Tech
BDB #3016670 08/22/20 12:37 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by BDB
There are computers that can correct spelling. They work reasonably well, but they make a lot of mistakes. Tuning pianos is a lot more difficult, and involves moving things which do not want to move all that much compared to moving a few electrons to change spelling. At least with spelling, there are only a few choices to make, although somehow, computers still manage to choose the wrong one. With tuning, there is a continuous range of choices, so an infinite number. So not only do you need a computer that can choose from that range of choices, you need mechanical systems that can make those choices a reality. Even if someone could overcome those obstacles (and Don Gilmore never did), the system could easily cost more than having someone tune the piano for its entire lifetime.

Don't listen to this guy, I believe he is a piano technician. Of course self-tuning piano's would be bad for business. 😛

U3piano #3016675 08/22/20 12:54 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
If you want to try it, knock yourself out. I make more money from semiconductor sales than I do from tuning pianos.

Semipro Tech
spanishbuddha #3016687 08/22/20 01:20 PM
U
Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
You missed this thread?

Thanks!

So it was already invented. But it seems the website is a little bit abandoned. Maybe the system has not had commercial succes? Although it seems the guy has put a lot of effort and intelligence on it. Maybe too much expensive device?

As for automatic tunning vs hand made, i think there's enough technological development in the modern world for creating a very accurate and complete device. About wether it makes commercial sense or not, that's the question.

Ubu #3016692 08/22/20 01:33 PM
R
R
It's certainly theoretically possible to build a self tuning piano, but there are a couple challenges that comes to my mind right off the bat.

First thing is servo strength and durability. The strings are under quite a bit of tension so having the appropriate compact precision actuators may be an issue. It's certainly not cheap.

Second is how all of that equipment sitting in the cabinet might affect the tone or touch.

Lastly, any auto tuner would still have to be a mechanical system on an acoustic piano, which means it would then itself need to be calibrated and maintained. You would then still need a technician for the tuning system and also a piano technician for things like voicing, reshaping hammers, and regulation.

This seems like it would be a fun graduate project (i remember a team actually made a auto guitar tuner when I was in grad school) but for actual practical applications, the business cases might be limited. For similar prices, between an auto tuning acoustic and a acoustic with a silent system, I would pick latter.

Last edited by rkzhao; 08/22/20 01:34 PM.
Ubu #3016723 08/22/20 03:03 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Among the other things that have appeared on this board in the past was someone who had made a web application to test one's ability to hear beats. I tried it out and found that there were discrete areas where although he said that the frequency was changing, the beats were not. I did the math, and realized that he was using MIDI sound, and that the changes in frequency that he was calling for were less than the increments that MIDI was capable of generating, and that the areas that the beats did not change exactly corresponded to the MIDI increments. So without coming up with new ways dealing with frequency, the accuracy will be limited. (This is beside the fact that frequency matching is not the same as tuning.)

Semipro Tech
Ubu #3016868 08/22/20 11:06 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Servo mechanisms powerful enough to turn the tight tuning pins are likely to give off considerable heat. You can easily change the pitch of a piano string just by the heat generated from rubbing your finger up and down it a few times.

(Only experiment with this on the plain strings and only push down not sideways. Wash and dry your hands first and once finished experimenting use a cloth to remove finger residue.)

If you properly assemble an prepare a fine piano, house it in a humidity controlled environment, and have it tuned by a highly skilled professional: after five years of age and regular tunings; the tuning will become remarkably stable.

I just tuned our piano today and it had been over a year since last tuned. It was very close to begin with, with only two obviously, (to me), beating unisons. Most pianists would have thought it was in very good tune and didn't need tuning.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Ubu #3016880 08/23/20 12:27 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
Don Gilmore heated the strings to tune his self-tuning piano. The only video that I saw that demonstrated it was not impressive.

Semipro Tech
BDB #3016923 08/23/20 06:02 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by BDB
If you want to try it, knock yourself out. I make more money from semiconductor sales than I do from tuning pianos.

Just kidding.

I have to agree with your explanation, and can't see self tuning piano's being financially attractive, but I'm sure it would be technically possible.

What are semiconductor sales? My knowledge of the English language seems to let me down here.

U3piano #3016979 08/23/20 10:23 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
Semiconductors are the components of computers and other modern electronics: transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits.

Semipro Tech
U3piano #3017737 08/25/20 04:33 PM
R
Online Content
R
>>Don't listen to this guy, I believe he is a piano technician. Of course self-tuning piano's would be bad for business. 😛[/quote]

Because player pianos made Horowitz obsolete!

Last edited by randymerk; 08/25/20 04:34 PM.
randymerk #3017745 08/25/20 05:01 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Does anybody, maybe in the the Kansas City area, know what ever became of Don Gilmore and his tuning system? He hasn't been seen around here since November 2016. His company, Don Gilmore Devices, LLC, still has an active website, but it doesn't look like it's been updated recently. The Missouri Secretary of State shows that the company is still active and still located on Wyandotte Street.

Larry.

Last edited by iLaw; 08/25/20 05:04 PM.
Ubu #3017755 08/25/20 05:34 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
They already exist. They are called digital pianos.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
Ubu #3018050 08/26/20 05:15 PM
S
S
These methods for making a self-tuning piano (e.g., servo motors, heated piano wires,...) seem too complicated to me and are more likely to end up in the long run being much more trouble and expense than the trouble and expense of occasionally calling in a piano tuner. Doesn't seem like there should be much of a market for these self-tuning piano gizmos except for those of us who really, really, really hate our piano tuners.

Agree with patH. If you don't want to deal with piano tuning, get a digital piano.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MIDI to USB double output
by lukasz-zsakul - 11/30/20 04:57 PM
Chopin's Nocturne op 27 no.2 vs. op.72 no.1
by RhaegarTargaryen - 11/30/20 03:51 PM
back after 34 years
by JerryLouis - 11/30/20 02:44 PM
Roland FP-30 Bluetooth Connectivity Issue
by Yaboku - 11/30/20 01:08 PM
12 year old Yammy glue failure on 60% of the keys
by jkess114 - 11/30/20 12:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,170
Posts3,028,993
Members99,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission