2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (deadlymajesty, Ampersand, anotherscott, briangmoore, chopinetto, Bill McKaig,RPT, c++, Carey, 12 invisible), 478 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
T
T
Maybe it's all a part of their marketing strategy. Release or leak just a bit of info to disrupt Yamaha's new releases so everyone holds off to see what Kawai is going to release! Thankfully I have time to wait! :-)

In the market for a new digital piano
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by TexasBear
Maybe it's all a part of their marketing strategy. Release or leak just a bit of info to disrupt Yamaha's new releases so everyone holds off to see what Kawai is going to release! Thankfully I have time to wait! :-)

Their social media accounts do not have enough penetration to do something so tactical.

Overall I don't believe what's left of the Piano-Fandom with Actual-purchasing-power are young enough to bother with social media.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Otavio
if digital piano industry doesn't die first.

Our greatest fear. but it's piano in general, too damn hard for an impatient generation.

T
T
Maybe there will be a new generation of pandemic players! I thought that NY Times article was neat about skyrocketing piano sales going on right now.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Granyala
Only reason to delete threads would be if s/o spilled the beans on data that is under an active NDA.

Who is under NDA in this case? Piano world? PW isn't liable as a publisher for what a user posts, and all standard NDAs require carve-outs for 3p disclosure.

Is a user under NDA with the manufacturer? Then that user may be in beach of the terms of the NDA as a contract, but what obligation does PW have to remove it in that case? There is no recourse under contract for a non-party.

In either case, it would be a mere request on a manufacturer's part to request removal, and a voluntary act on the part of PW to comply (perhaps PW has a policy against posting nonpublic material, which is their own thing).

I would absolutely expect that James would ask for removal as a representative of Kawai and it's within Kawai's rights to do so (though I'll take his word is he denies ever doing this). But I don't expect PW is any way compelled to do so, for reason of NDA or otherwise.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by TexasBear
Maybe there will be a new generation of pandemic players! I thought that NY Times article was neat about skyrocketing piano sales going on right now.

But the sad part is even with this uptick in piano sales most students quit after a year or two.
I'm hoping with the digital pianos that students can practice with headphones now the trend will change but I don't think it will frown

I always find the conversations in a religious forum that the church needs to go back to more organ music. The folks that usually complain about this have no idea how long a good organist trains and how much money it costs. Not to mentions how much money a good Organ cost.

As jeffcat mentioned piano really is long-term and most want instant gratification.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
[...]Indeed, bigger better processors and RAM would do nothing for a piano.
Adding more of those would be like adding sand to the Sahara. There's just no need.
It's true that on a DP you don't need much RAM, being that the samples usually are stored on some Flash Roms, but consider that more resonance effects (damper resonances, undamped strings resonances, cabinet resonance, duplex scale resonances), surround effects, better quality reverb, more polyphony, etc., means you need a more powerful sound processor. And more realistic and high quality is the effect, more processing power is needed. The SK-EX Rendering Engine used in top-range Kawai DPs, for example, is much more demanding compared with the previous HI-XL engine (some users on this forum noticed a reduced maximum polyphony when using "Pianist mode" on a CA78/98. That mode uses the features of the new engine).

T
T
EPW, I know. I was surprised at how much our Lowrey organ cost (thankfully it was donated). We had it for a while before I even realized what it was. I can only imagine what the higher end pipe organs cost, and how difficult they must be to learn!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Originally Posted by Otavio
if digital piano industry doesn't die first.

Our greatest fear. but it's piano in general, too damn hard for an impatient generation.
Most musical instruments are hard to learn. But this doesn't mean the market of musical instruments is dead or that it will die soon. To make music you have to play an instrument. To compose music you have to play (at least) an instrument (and the piano is the best candidate for a music composer, because its large tonal range).

And IMHO digital instruments will continue to grow in popularity, because they are small, light, cheap, they can be played with headphones, they can reproduce multiple instruments in just one object, etc.
And, very slowly, but steadily, they improve in the quality of the sound generation.

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
I hope you're right magicpiano. I know that I will be staying with a Digital Piano as an acoustic piano is not in the cards with my work schedule.

My niece wants to learn piano but her parents are not to keen on getting her started. My SIL took lessons and stopped after a couple of years and thinks that will be the same as her daughter. I told them to buy a decent slab piano and at least give her a shot.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
I hope you're right magicpiano. I know that I will be staying with a Digital Piano as an acoustic piano is not in the cards with my work schedule.

My niece wants to learn piano but her parents are not to keen on getting her started. My SIL took lessons and stopped after a couple of years and thinks that will be the same as her daughter. I told them to buy a decent slab piano and at least give her a shot.
I think that learning to play an instrument is always a beautiful experience, and even if she stops after some years, after some time she may want to try again, maybe with greater conviction.

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yep those are my thoughts too. My two brothers stopped lessons one after two years the other after 5 years. I was the one who stayed with it until I finished High School. I knew I was never going to be a concert level but heck I play a mean Rock Piano.

T
T
I think it's totally worth it to encourage them in lessons and make sure all kinds of instruments are available. You never know when interest may be revived. I started taking lessons when I was in 4th grade or so, with an ancient upright piano that my parents purchased. I acted like I hated it, I secretly enjoyed it very much. But since I was the only boy I knew who was taking lessons I didn't want anyone to know I liked it! When I got a cheapo Yamaha Portatone keyboard, I really started to get engaged in learning. Don't discount the technology aspect. Anything that will attract or help a student learn is worth it!

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yep I wish the technology was around when I was young. But nope being 50+ I missed that scene as a lad LOL. I got into DAW's in the 90's and have been messing around in them ever since. For how cheap boards are now I think it is a good idea to have your kids give it a whirl. My parents agreement was 2 years of lessons. They did hold fast to that rule and my brother quit after that time.

Anyway I'm hijacking this thread and I hope the new Kawai models will be out soon to see what they have done.

T
T
EPW, Oh yes, I forgot about the Kawais! I've never played one, but maybe some new models will be released in August like the title of the post says. What was the original post about? Kawai posts being deleted or something? grin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by impossiblejj
Thread deleting on James request is nothing new here.

Just to clarify, I've never requested that a thread be deleted, nor have I requested that a fellow user be banned.

A UK-based Kawai dealer recently included information about unannounced products in their online brochure. I informed a colleague at Kawai UK, who contacted the dealer requesting that this information be removed from their brochure, and they kindly cooperated.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by kimby
I guess all that is to say, a smaller percentage of old folks like me might be on the TwitterGrams and buy DPs, and a smaller percentage of the young folk can afford/need a good DP (and they're also on the TwitterGrams). I suddenly feel the need to draw out some bell curves to find the area underneath their intersection!! smile

I mean, I get it, Kawai is keeping up, they can't do-nothing, and that's why they pay the marketing department. It just feels like the wrong target audience.

Please note that the DG30 teaser campaign was led by Kawai America (not Kawai Japan), and I believe my colleagues in the US were happy with the level of engagement that it generated.

Maybe they aught to get their gear to tech influencers like linustechtips. They've got a large crew, surely at least a few of them plays piano.

Thank you for the suggestion. I watch LTT a fair bit, and enjoy their content. I don't personally believe the channel's target audience wishes to watch Linus talking about pianos, but I agree that there is often a cross-over between technology enthusiasts and digital piano fans - indeed, there are several users with a computer engineering background on this forum.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I think that learning to play an instrument is always a beautiful experience
I'd say trying to learn an instrument is as much an exercise in frustration tolerance than it is fun.
Depending on your nature it might even be more frustrating than enjoyable.

EG: my ears are Nazis and it's difficult for me to not only listen to the flaws I produce.

I can understand most people quitting after a year or two. Seems to be the time when you hit the first wall and the rapid early improvements come to an abrupt halt.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
M
M
I can understand most people quitting after a year or two. Seems to be the time when you hit the first wall and the rapid early improvements come to an abrupt halt.
I started half a year ago and I am hitting walls every week...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I think that learning to play an instrument is always a beautiful experience
I'd say trying to learn an instrument is as much an exercise in frustration tolerance than it is fun.
Depending on your nature it might even be more frustrating than enjoyable.

EG: my ears are Nazis and it's difficult for me to not only listen to the flaws I produce.

Learning to play an instrument is not much different from most other things in life. If you want to achieve good results you have to work hard. If you want to achieve VERY good results you have to work VERY hard. There is no easy way. If you dedicate just 1-2 hours a week and you don't have much willpower and motivation, I would not be surprised if you cannot go much further than "Little Little Twinkle Star" and you'll think piano is boring.

But when you've learned to play decently a nice piece, the feeling of satisfaction amply repays you for all the efforts made, and you will start to really enjoy trying to improve the way you play that musical piece to get the expressiveness you would like to achieve.

IMHO a trick to not stopping learning piano playing is to learn pieces that you like very much and that are just a little more advanced than your current skills. Motivation is very important. wink

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,431
Posts3,084,688
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission