2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3016634 08/22/20 12:26 PM
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Musician joke - A conductor needed to get a sub for their clarinetist in orchestra. Vendor told him the only person available is a jazz clarinetist. Conductor was reluctant, but they had four rehearsals so decided to give the musician a try. The first rehearsal didn't go very well but after clarinetist had chance to practice the second and third rehearsals went much better. On the last practice the clarinetist nailed the music. After rehearsal was over the conductor went out of his way to praise the clarinetist for his ability to learn the music. The clarinetist then thanked the conductor and orchestra and said, too bad I can't make the performance. wink

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Too true

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
The punchline wooshed me. Is there a thing with jazz musicians flaking on gigs?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I liked it LOL

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Gombessa

I'm also not sure.

There are a few other options

1. The clarinettist just wanted to play with an orchestra

2. The clarinettist thought the rehearsal was a gig. Maybe they already paid for his rehearsal time.

3. The conductor is not smart enough to first ask if someone can play that evening?

4. The conductor is too narrow minded to even consider that the clarinettist would not put everything aside ?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Jazz players can be known to sub-out if a better paying gig comes their way or if a new gig comes their way that has better players.

P
P
Originally Posted by 36251

Jazz players can be known to sub-out if a better paying gig comes their way or if a new gig comes their way that has better players.
Not in my experience. Yours?

36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I was hipped to real version at other forum site:

Here's the full version. It's about Jazz musicians:

The Jazz Player's Reputation
A conductor who is preparing for a performance is having trouble finding a good clarinet player. He calls a contractor who tells him, "The only guy I've got available is a jazz clarinetist."

"I can't stand working with jazz musicians!" says the conductor. "They dress shabbily, they're always late, and every one of them has an attitude problem." "He's all I've got," says the contractor. "OK," says the conductor, "I'm getting desperate, so I'll take him."

The conductor arrives early for the first rehearsal and sees the jazz clarinetist wearing a suit and tie, a pencil rests on his stand, and he's practicing his part. During the rehearsal, he plays the part sensitively and writes down all of the conductor's suggestions. At the second rehearsal, the clarinetist plays even better. At the final dress rehearsal, the clarinetist plays his part flawlessly.

During the rehearsal break, the conductor tells the orchestra, "I've got an apology to make. I was really dreading having to work with a jazz musician, but I must say that our clarinetist has proven me wrong. He's always neatly dressed, comes early to rehearsal, and he really listened to me and learned his part very well."

Turning to the clarinet player the maestro says, "I just wanted to tell you that I truly appreciate your effort and dedication."

The clarinetist replies, "Hey man, it's the least I can do since I can't make the gig."

36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoMan51

Not in my experience. Yours?

Yes, for background jazz in hotel lobbies or functions. I wasn't the leader, so I went with the flow. They always got good subs since they were Berklee students.

I think this story uses creative licence to say the clarinetist would of done that after such a commitment.

Hey, bottom line, it is a joke and I liked how it was set up. Kind of like a good jazz solo.

Last edited by 36251; 08/22/20 09:07 PM.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Musician joke - A conductor needed to get a sub for their clarinetist in orchestra. Vendor told him the only person available is a jazz clarinetist. Conductor was reluctant, but they had four rehearsals so decided to give the musician a try. The first rehearsal didn't go very well but after clarinetist had chance to practice the second and third rehearsals went much better. On the last practice the clarinetist nailed the music. After rehearsal was over the conductor went out of his way to praise the clarinetist for his ability to learn the music. The clarinetist then thanked the conductor and orchestra and said, too bad I can't make the performance. wink

In what respect is this funny?

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax

In what respect is this funny?

tough crowd smile

T
T
I didn't get it. But I'm not really a concert "professional" like so many of you! In person, I probably would have laughed with the pros because I'm a little slow anyway! laugh

Instruments at Home or Office | Pianos: Yamaha Clavinova CLP-795, Wurlitzer baby grand, Winter & Co. baby grand, Everett studio | Keyboards: Korg Grandstage, Roland Fantom, Yamaha PSR-275 | Organ: Lowrey Prestige

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission