2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
37 members (Boboulus, chrisbell, Bouson, 36251, clothearednincompo, Burkey, Beowulf, Badger1966, 8 invisible), 390 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 36 1 2 32 33 34 35 36
Re: Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course
WBLynch #3015819 08/20/20 07:32 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by WBLynch
Rather than try shortcuts I’m going to try following the 52 Lesson Crash Course to make sure I don’t miss any fundamentals and to allow myself to build that muscle memory I will need. I hope I don’t Crash.

-Bill L.

It will be a fun experience and I'm sure your level of skill will enable you to incorporate the techniques much faster than I did. Keep us posted on your progress. We'll be rooting for you.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
TonyB #3016264 08/21/20 11:57 AM
W
W
Well my materials arrived last evening (thanks Don - dmd) and I’m eager to get started.

I flipped through the books then binge watched the first 8 lessons (!) just to get and idea of what to expect. Duane finally starts making suggestions of things you can do to fill out the music at lesson 8.

So, since I did play some before, I’m comfortable that I will be able to work through those first 8 fairly rapidly. I intend to stay focused and disciplined to not skip steps but as soon as I can play the beginner songs clean and to tempo I will go ahead.

One thing I like about the videos (yes, they are dated) is that he uses a spinet piano (Baldwin Acrosonic?) and not a fancy grand and not some god awful digital keyboard. So you get the feeling you’re taking lessons from a live teacher.

I’ll start my first lesson later this morning.

-Bill L.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
WBLynch #3016287 08/21/20 12:49 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
So, since I did play some before, I’m comfortable that I will be able to work through those first 8 fairly rapidly. I intend to stay focused and disciplined to not skip steps but as soon as I can play the beginner songs clean and to tempo I will go ahead.

Sounds like a good plan. Let the fun and work begin. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
WBLynch #3016307 08/21/20 01:31 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well my materials arrived last evening (thanks Don - dmd) and I’m eager to get started.

Glad to hear everything arrived intact.

Enjoy

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
TonyB #3016752 08/22/20 05:26 PM
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As a veteran of the 52-week (ha ha) course I would like to add a couple of things.

First off, you will never be finished with this process. If you get through it in 52 weeks (shame on you) you will just have an overview.
Second, watch your tempos and timing - use a metronome, start slowly.
Third (OK, three things), you are learning to improvise if you continue to apply the techniques to new songs, especially if you can do it at tempo. One technique at a time, preferably. It comes slowly. See suggestion two.
I'll probably think of more to add later. It's a good course. RIP Duane, he was a good guy.

EP #3016799 08/22/20 07:25 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EP
It's a good course. RIP Duane, he was a good guy.

Amen.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
WBLynch #3018335 08/27/20 01:59 PM
D
D

I flipped through the books then binge watched the first 8 lessons (!) just to get and idea of what to expect. Duane finally starts making suggestions of things you can do to fill out the music at lesson 8.
-Bill L.

It will be a good journey Bill! I got through the first 8-10 lessons in no time, but things have REALLY slowed for me now. I am working through lesson 15. The more in depth the arranging techniques get, the slower I am going. It is very difficult for me. But no pain, no gain. My piano skills are improving each week though and that's the idea. I imagine it will take 3 years to get through the course like it it did David B. But it's a fun journey. There is definitely a sense of satisfaction that comes with playing a song and it actually sounds pretty good haha

Dmoss3 #3018862 08/28/20 11:31 PM
W
W
Originally Posted by Dmoss3
It will be a good journey Bill! I got through the first 8-10 lessons in no time, but things have REALLY slowed for me now. I am working through lesson 15. The more in depth the arranging techniques get, the slower I am going. It is very difficult for me. But no pain, no gain. My piano skills are improving each week though and that's the idea. I imagine it will take 3 years to get through the course like it it did David B. But it's a fun journey. There is definitely a sense of satisfaction that comes with playing a song and it actually sounds pretty good haha

Nice to hear from you David. And I’m glad yo’re sticking with it.

TonyB #3018868 08/29/20 12:08 AM
W
W
Okay, here’s my first week’s report.

Although it has been closer to two decades since I tried playing piano, I got through Book 1 and Supplemental 1 this week. Lessons 1-10 cover both books. So it was more of a refresher for me.

I had some trouble with tricky timing on a few pieces but I was disciplined enough to work on each piece until I could play them cleanly through, to tempo, at least 10 times. The numbers at this stage are very rudimentary and all in the key of C.

I think it’s great course for absolute beginners.

Duane doesn’t start making suggestions for alternate stylings until lesson 8 and by lesson 10 he’ll have two or three per song for you to try. I took notes from the videos so I knew what to practice according to his suggestions. I also noted the time on the video for easy reference.

I should mention that I copied all of the DVD’s to MPG files on a laptop so I don’t have to mess with DVD menus and load delays. It works out perfectly. If anyone has trouble doing that, pm me or email me and I’ll describe my method. It was a pain and took me 10 hours to do. But this is a slow laptop.

A funny happening is the final lesson (#52) has a fault on my dvd and the last half of the lesson fails to play. I’m not worried because I’m sure it’s just congratulatory comments for finishing the course.

So, here I am, ready to start lesson #11 and Book 2. There are some techniques I have trouble with, specifically “tremolos” with octaves in the right hand. I just can’t do them yet and I know it’s a matter of practice and building the skill. I’m not going to sit on “Polly Wolly Doodle” for a month though. I’m sure it will come up a lot along the way and I’ll have plenty of chances to learn that.

My short term goal is to get through lessons 11-13 in the next couple of weeks. That will put me 1/4 through the course. I’m sure it’s about to get hard.

-Bill L.

TonyB #3018870 08/29/20 12:18 AM
W
W
One other note... (sorry so long winded tonight)

One of the pieces is “My Bonnie”. But it’s only the chorus and he offers some alternatives to try. For fun I decided to reconstruct the verses “by ear” and work out the chord sequences on my own. It gave me great satisfaction to be able to do that wihout the written score.

Haha, small victories, huh?

-Bill L

WBLynch #3018871 08/29/20 12:22 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
I should mention that I copied all of the DVD’s to MPG files on a laptop so I don’t have to mess with DVD menus and load delays. It works out perfectly. If anyone has trouble doing that, pm me or email me and I’ll describe my method. It was a pain and took me 10 hours to do. But this is a slow laptop.

A funny happening is the final lesson (#52) has a fault on my dvd and the last half of the lesson fails to play. I’m not worried because I’m sure it’s just congratulatory comments for finishing the course.

I also copied the DVDs onto my SSD for easy access.

I also had a problem with lesson 52 on the DVD. Around the last third of the lesson got cutoff (when he was going through the Fake-book songs). I contacted Duane's office and they sent me a new DVD that did not have the problem. I really wanted to hear Duane's final comments at the end of the lesson to help bring the course to completion.

My short term goal is to get through lessons 11-13 in the next couple of weeks. That will put me 1/4 through the course. I’m sure it’s about to get hard.

-Bill L.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work. It pays off.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
TonyB #3018994 08/29/20 11:28 AM
W
W
Thanks for the encouragement David. I bought my course second hand but I suppose I could try contacting them.

Another note, Duane introduced open arpeggio in the left hand and it’s something I always wanted to know but never learned. It came easier than I thought and with some practice I hope it becomes natural.

What excited me is times when substituting a note in the pattern is a much better choice. (Say a B instead of a D in a G chord pattern). Just from what Duane taught me already I was able to detect where to make the alteration. Yes, it will require a lot of practice and learning but I’m really excited just to be able to hear it.

This is going to be great. My only regret is I never knew about this course when I started. These are the things that would have made me a successful player all that time.

-Bill L.

TonyB #3021151 09/04/20 09:54 AM
P
P
Well...after having bailed out once, got a refund, and a year goes by, I bought the download version now.

I understand a lot more than when I tried this the first time. I have quite a bit more coordination now and I've gotten "somewhat" proficient at using left hand patterns coupled with melody+supporting notes in the right hand so I feel like I'm ready now.

I've downloaded the videos, the printed materials are on their way, let's go!

TonyB #3021252 09/04/20 01:39 PM
W
W
Welcome back Bob

TonyB #3021256 09/04/20 01:46 PM
M
M
I wish you lots of success (and fun!) with this course, Bill L. (WBLynch) and PianoWVBob!

To anyone interested: According to Duane Shinn's today's newsletter, there's a labor day sale – 30% off all products. Coupon code is laborday2020. Expiration date is September 7. Just thought I'd let you know.

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha P-515

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Mickey_ #3021266 09/04/20 02:11 PM
P
P
Yes! I took advantage of that!

WBLynch #3021268 09/04/20 02:11 PM
P
P
Thanks!

PianoWVBob #3021272 09/04/20 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
I've downloaded the videos, the printed materials are on their way, let's go!
So, the online version of the course is only partly online since you are waiting for the books, isn't it?

Enjoy the course!

Jaime CLP-645 😃
Sol Finker #3021274 09/04/20 02:21 PM
P
P
Yes, the DVDS STREAM/download now but the printed materials are still paper

PianoWVBob #3021281 09/04/20 02:41 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob
Yes, the DVDS STREAM/download now but the printed materials are still paper

It's good to know that the online courses are downloadable.

Does anyone know whether they always have a sale around labor day (or at other times)? So far, this is the first occasion I've seen.

Kawai Novus NV10; Yamaha P-515

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Page 34 of 36 1 2 32 33 34 35 36

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,843
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission