2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndrewJCW, Bluthendorfer, anotherscott, bohemiatotal, Abdol, 16 invisible), 852 guests, and 558 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Erick Satie, "Je Te Veux" Grade Level and Advice
#388660 06/09/08 12:17 PM
M
OP Offline
M
After 4-5 years of not playing the piano, I finally bought a digital piano and am beginning to learn Erik Satie's "Je Te Veux." I like the character of the piece, but am struggling a little with it or at least not progressing as quickly as I would like. I've been working on it for 6 days and can play the first page, but am struggling with finger numbering and patterns.

When I stopped playing the piano I was playing at a Grade 3 level but at the same time I was learning Schumann's Aufschung and not a simplified version either. I don't think I'll be able to pick that piece up for a long time.

What Grade level would "Je Te Veux" be considered?

Also, if you have any suggestions for how to practice, learn and play this piece, please advice. If you're familiar with this piece-please tell me all that you know! wink

I can't afford lessons right now, so I'm hoping the more experienced players can help me here.

Re: Erick Satie, "Je Te Veux" Grade Level and Advice
#388661 06/13/08 07:43 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I'm not familiar with this piece and can't answer your question, but I hate to see your post sink into oblivion without any replies. Unfortunately, it's always luck of the draw whether someone with the specific knowledge sought might be reading the message boards at any given time and has time to write a constructive response.

So how long have you had your digital and been playing again? Do you have some specific plans for rebuilding keyboard fluency?

Also, you mentioned in another thread that you have two favorite Chopin pieces that you were uncertain if you might be able to attempt. I wondered what they are, and what you feel your problems to be with technique and theory.

Of course, I'm curious because I'm a Chopin lover! I know nothing about grades and grading systems, but do now that Schumann's Aufschwung is a challenging piece. Perhaps your Chopin goals are reachable with determination, study and practice, after all.

Steven

#388662 06/13/08 11:28 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am familiar with it and have been visiting it for from time to time. My version has no fingering at all, so I can't help you there. I have already recorded Gnossienne No. 1 and am almost finished with Gymnopedie No. 1. I used the term "visiting", because I'm working on so many other pieces at once. I get tired playing the same thing over and over.
Mike

May10April #3013727 08/14/20 07:49 AM
I know this is an old thread, but this is one of my favorite pieces. There are also many versions of it which are different difficulties. I have seen simplified versions (octaves replaced by single notes etc.) and versions that are more of an accompaniment for a singer. Also it seems that Satie wrote this initially as a song with two verses and a chorus, but much later played it as a solo piece with two more lovely themes in the middle. I could not find a version of the score that was both not simplified and also including the beautiful middle section, so I put together my own version of the score using MuseScore.

Most of the piece is really dreamy except for the first theme in the middle section which is a little more grand giving a nice contrast.

1971 Bernhard Steiner U-131 upright
May10April #3013756 08/14/20 09:09 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The piece was initially a song indeed. If you read the text it is a love song on a waltz rythm, quite sensual.

https://youtu.be/p2CzbUABKhk

Here is the link to the composer version for solo piano if you dont have it.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Je_te_veux_(Satie%2C_Erik)

Sidokar #3013768 08/14/20 09:37 AM
B
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The piece was initially a song indeed. If you read the text it is a love song on a waltz rythm, quite sensual.

These versions of the score are what I started with until I heard a rendition that included the extra middle section that Satie added later and I had to have it. If you are interested in the score, you can find my version here:
https://musescore.com/user/28684966/scores/6254386

Alan B #3013810 08/14/20 11:41 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Alan B
B

These versions of the score are what I started with until I heard a rendition that included the extra middle section that Satie added later and I had to have it. If you are interested in the score, you can find my version here:
https://musescore.com/user/28684966/scores/6254386

Well maybe I did not look well, but I do not see any new material vs the version on imslp. I see you added some chords and reinforced the harmony and reordered and shortened the composer version, but that is about it.

Sidokar #3014029 08/15/20 12:34 AM
Well maybe I did not look well, but I do not see any new material vs the version on imslp. I see you added some chords and reinforced the harmony and reordered and shortened the composer version, but that is about it.

The original version is 6 pages, but if one looks carefully, pages 3-4 are the same as pages 5-6. Essentially there are two themes: Theme A - pages 1-2 and Theme B - pages 3-4 and 5-6, and they are repeated A-B-A-B-A. The last repeat has a different ending.

My version has all this music on pages 1,2 and 5. It is just more dense as I omit the extra stave for the voice and since I don't have the words, pages 1-2 of the original (except for the different ending) fit on one page. Similarly pages 3-4 of the original fit on my page 2. On pages 3 and most of page 4 is the new material - I did not add any chords and did not reinforce any harmony as I am no composer. This new material has two themes, the first is the repeat at the start of my page 3 and the rest is the other theme. If we call these C and D, then it repeats as follows: A-B-A-C-D-A. I repeat the first theme on the last page for the different ending. Themes A and B are directly from the versions on, with page 3 and most of page 4 from the other version that I found on the web. The other version that I worked from had a simplified version of themes A and B which is the only reason I combined them.

May10April #3014170 08/15/20 09:28 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I dont know what grade it is, but I find the version on imslp to be mostly sight readable.

Alan B #3014236 08/15/20 12:04 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Alan B
My version has all this music on pages 1,2 and 5. It is just more dense as I omit the extra stave for the voice and since I don't have the words, pages 1-2 of the original (except for the different ending) fit on one page. Similarly pages 3-4 of the original fit on my page 2. On pages 3 and most of page 4 is the new material - I did not add any chords and did not reinforce any harmony as I am no composer. This new material has two themes, the first is the repeat at the start of my page 3 and the rest is the other theme. If we call these C and D, then it repeats as follows: A-B-A-C-D-A. I repeat the first theme on the last page for the different ending. Themes A and B are directly from the versions on, with page 3 and most of page 4 from the other version that I found on the web. The other version that I worked from had a simplified version of themes A and B which is the only reason I combined them.

Hi Alan, I am not trying to be difficult here, but all the music you have on your page 3 and 4 are also present on the Imslp version end of page 3 and page 4. The same keys and same number of bars. When I talk about reinforced harmony is simply the fact that you have doubled many notes like in bar 7, last quarter you doubled the E vs the composer version and this is done quite systematically in many bars of the piece. Nothing wrong with it but it is different from the composer version. So I would say your version is more of an "arrangement" rather than a new material version per se.

May10April #3014249 08/15/20 12:34 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Like Sidokar, I may not have examined the two piano solo versions closely enough to see where new material has been added. The fact that Satie's piano solo version is nearly 100 measures longer than Alan B's does account for the fact that the latter has used a repeat sign for the first section where Satie has written it out. Apart from some doubling in the RH at the outset, I don't see any new material that was not in Satie's transcription.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Sidokar #3014463 08/16/20 06:30 AM
Hi Alan, I am not trying to be difficult here, but all the music you have on your page 3 and 4 are also present on the Imslp version end of page 3 and page 4. The same keys and same number of bars. When I talk about reinforced harmony is simply the fact that you have doubled many notes like in bar 7, last quarter you doubled the E vs the composer version and this is done quite systematically in many bars of the piece. Nothing wrong with it but it is different from the composer version. So I would say your version is more of an "arrangement" rather than a new material version per se.

At last we are on the same page now. I only ever saw the first two scores on IMSLP which are for the song and not the piano solo version. If only I had found that earlier before I went to all that trouble. Still it did enable me to know the score so much better so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

May10April #3015814 08/20/20 06:24 AM
A
A
I love this piece; I've accompanied the original voice/piano version and used the solo transcription a few times in sets for weddings and other events. It's very well-written, fun to play and to listen to, and always effective. And like Sidokar said, the text is very sensual.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

Ainar #3015842 08/20/20 08:55 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ainar
I love this piece; I've accompanied the original voice/piano version and used the solo transcription a few times in sets for weddings and other events. It's very well-written, fun to play and to listen to, and always effective. And like Sidokar said, the text is very sensual.

Yes, i love it too. Both the text and the music are wonderful. It has this early 20th century flavor. There are a lot of melodies by french composers which should be played more often.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
DIY Acoustical Digital Piano - algorithm
by stemPianist - 01/16/21 01:04 PM
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,293
Posts3,047,341
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission