2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
60 / 4 = 15 years of recitals. Wow! A 15th Anniversary. Should we do something special?

Back in Recital #40 (10 year anniversary), a bunch of us decided to revisit the very 1st pieces we played in the ABF Quarterly Recitals. That was fun. Hopefully we had improved!

Of course, anything that we do would not be mandatory in any way. One of the great things about the Quarterly recitals is that you can play any style, any level. The only restriction is one piece per performer.

So how can we make Recital #60 special? Suggestions?

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Get people to submit pieces that have to do with celebrations such as pieces they'd play at weddings, birthdays and other special occasions.

P
P
I've only been a member of these forums for a few months but it seems to me that these recitals are about sharing and a real generosity of spirit. So how about participants - those that wish to of course - submit a piece that they were inspired to learn after hearing it performed at a previous ABF recital? We could even reference the original performance in the comments.

Last edited by psyche23; 08/15/20 08:46 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by psyche23
how about participants - those that wish to of course - submit a piece that they were inspired to learn after hearing it performed at a previous ABF recital? We could even reference the original performance in the comments.

That's a lovely idea!

I would have to submit probably 25 pieces though... grin

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Terrific idea! thumb

I agree - the biggest problem will be deciding which one.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Back in Recital #40 (10 year anniversary), a bunch of us decided to revisit the very 1st pieces we played in the ABF Quarterly Recitals. That was fun. Hopefully we had improved!

That's a good idea. There's a few song I would like to relearn and improve.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have one more idea suggestion cool; . how about.... submit a movie themed piece that you would also coordinate to the recording, a pic /clip of the movie? Even just a pic or 10 sec clip? cool
I'd love to relearn "Lullaby of the Bells " from the original Phantom of the Opera with Claude Raines. If I can find the score somewhere... blush
There'd probably be repeated submits but that could be interesting smile or not so. :(- in reviewing you'd have to compare and contrast with "tasteful" tact. Or make no comparisons at all.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
When I think of any magic with the number 60, I think about Sumerians.

Sumerian Themed Recital!!

laugh

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piano_primo
I have one more idea suggestion cool; . how about.... submit a movie themed piece that you would also coordinate to the recording, a pic /clip of the movie? Even just a pic or 10 sec clip? cool
I'd love to relearn "Lullaby of the Bells " from the original Phantom of the Opera with Claude Raines. If I can find the score somewhere... blush
There'd probably be repeated submits but that could be interesting smile or not so. :(- in reviewing you'd have to compare and contrast with "tasteful" tact. Or make no comparisons at all.

Would love to do this, but probably too complicated for most people. I've always wanted to try my hand at writing my own film score - for piano. TIme's running out!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hawgdriver
When I think of any magic with the number 60, I think about Sumerians.

Sumerian Themed Recital!!

laugh

Minute waltz?

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Would love to do this, but probably too complicated for most people. I've always wanted to try my hand at writing my own film score - for piano. TIme's running out!

Sam
Why not just a movie themed recital without the clips?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

Well, that would just be a themed recital for the themed recital series smile

I'm ok with the "something you learned because you heard it in a previous recital if such a thing exists" idea - it keeps it honoring the quarterly recitals but doesn't impose stylistic or other restrictions, and I like harking back to the quarterly recitals. We could maybe even add "something you wanted to submit to a quarterly but couldn't quite get it together but now you can" laugh

I don't have either of those suggestions, but - the quarterly recitals are wide open on what you submit, so we might get some nostalgia that's fun and still have folks who have never submitted before or are off the beaten track.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur

Well, that would just be a themed recital for the themed recital series smile

I'm ok with the "something you learned because you heard it in a previous recital if such a thing exists" idea - it keeps it honoring the quarterly recitals but doesn't impose stylistic or other restrictions, and I like harking back to the quarterly recitals. We could maybe even add "something you wanted to submit to a quarterly but couldn't quite get it together but now you can" laugh

I don't have either of those suggestions, but - the quarterly recitals are wide open on what you submit, so we might get some nostalgia that's fun and still have folks who have never submitted before or are off the beaten track.

Right, we don't want to have a theme, that's what the themed recitals are for. But if we could find something that performers could do that in some way celebrates the 60th recital, while allowing all skill levels and types of music, that would be good. Suggestions we have had so far that would work:

- replay your first recital piece
- revisit an earlier piece
- perform something inspired by something you heard in the recitals
- perform something you wanted to submit but never could before

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
60 / 4 = 15 years of recitals. Wow! A 15th Anniversary. Should we do something special?

The only restriction is one piece per performer.

Sam

What if for this $60 special recital . Temporarily lift 1 p 1 p restriction for just once?

I mean still 1 submission 1 person. But in 1 submission 1 player can play more than 1 piece , with combined duration still less than 10 mins.

But must play all those pieces together in one recording , better have video as proof .

I just saw some threads of amateur competitions in "pianist corner" . Got inspired .

Actually even in this recital $59 . There's already 1 person 2 pieces .😁

Last edited by selfishplayer; 08/19/20 02:09 PM.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Right, we don't want to have a theme, that's what the themed recitals are for. But if we could find something that performers could do that in some way celebrates the 60th recital, while allowing all skill levels and types of music, that would be good.

I thought about playing something that I was playing when I was 60, but my first recital here was when I was 61 laugh and I may outrank a good number of ABFers in age anyway. And 60 years ago I was playing - oh, dear - Poet and Peasant Overture? - which I can no longer play.

Well, *those* weren't helpful thoughts laugh

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Sam S Online Content OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by selfishplayer

The only restriction is one piece per performer.

Sam

What if for this $60 special recital . Temporarily lift 1 p 1 p restriction for just once?

I mean still 1 submission 1 person. But in 1 submission 1 player can play more than 1 piece , with combined duration still less than 10 mins.

But must play all those pieces together in one recording , better have video as proof .

I just saw some threads of amateur competitions in "pianist corner" . Got inspired .

Actually even in this recital $59 . There's already 1 person 2 pieces .😁

It's always been the case that you can do a "medley". As long as you are less than the file size limit. Just not separate submissions.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If the purpose is to celebrate the 60th, or 15th year, anniversary, could we not each choose our own way to honour this tradition? Some might play something they learned when they were 15 years old, others something they haven't played for 60 years, and yet others something they have wanted to learn for the past 15 years but always kept pushing a bit further into the future. smile

If we each find our own way to celebrate, it could wind up being very diverse and very festive (and feel a lot less restrictive in the process). smile

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
It's always been the case that you can do a "medley". As long as you are less than the file size limit. Just not separate submissions.

Sam

Sounds great . Now I can fix all the 3 fugues I have ever submitted in PW this year in a single recording next quarterly recital. WTC1 fugue n3,4,21 Approxi 2:10 + 4:10+1:25 = 7:45 .maybe add a new one .

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
How about a special 'skin' for the recital page and discussion page? Like bright colors, confetti etc?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
BTW my pieces for coming 2 to 3 recitals are already well prepared and ready for recording. So there's not much flexibility here on what will be submitted except for the order...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission