2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
1 Psyche 23

What a scintillating start! Couldn't be better. Wonderful expression; light, carefree, Vive La/le Paris!

2 Calavera

Super job here on a very dramatic piece of music.

3 Marie J

Einaudi is at his best with orchestral backing. I say backing loosely; his music is backing to a good orchestral lead on occasions. Nicely played, Marie. Very steady atmospheric piece, and a nice piano sound.
I do remember an old pop song which I loved then as now. "We didn't start the fire"

4 Peter Hontaru

Lovely playing! One of the best Chopin pieces I've heard.

5 KevinM

Very nice playing on this sensitive piece! Loved the expression you gave it.

6 Peyton

It gets very lively . . . .not sure if you're chasing something or running away from it, but it sure can move! Well done!

7 Selfishplayer

Take it a bit easier, man! These are really hard; you got all the notes in and that, but you just giving it too much! I don't know how you got through this, it's long; very.
Beyond my capability. Really is! Congrats just the same; a most valiant effort!

8 Ted Jones

Another on the rampage! But it's nice to hear the quieter bits too, Ted. Thought o' doing something similar myself, but with slower harmonies. Reckon it'd send me and everyone to sleep though. . . You'll never do that! I enjoyed it in an abstract sort of way, if that makes sense. Nice job; it does create lively pictures in the mind!

9 SwissMS

Love to hear the sweet depth of that instrument. Bet you love playing that! And a really nice piece I never heard before. Nice nice!

10 RuthCM

I think we all have a go at this; it's not that easy imo. I had an old Broadwood Boudoir Grand (1856) which was great fun, and I remember playing this on it. The easy version.
Difficult to know the right speed for this, but it does require plenty of expression. You gave it that, but a little more light and shade would give it force and drama.
The second part of this piece is just the opposite, and complements it so well, I reckon they should, by law, be forbidden to be played seperately!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
F
I've been listening the recital submissions for a few days now and the overall quality is really great. I must have listened to all performances at least twice and I enjoyed all of them. I have to congratulate everyone involved and give a special thanks to Sam for organizing it. Thank you guys!

I want to write comments for each performance, but I am having a very busy week (month, actually), so I think I will end up commenting only on some of the performances. I will try to write the first comments later on today.

Amy H, Qwerty53, Pianist685, Gary001, selfishplayer, KevinM, Flygbladet, hawgdriver and piano_primo, thank you very much for your kind feedback! Your comments made my day smile

Gary001, to answer your question regarding the recording method:

Originally Posted by Gary001
26. facdo - Nocturne in E minor, Op.72 No.1
... and would be interested in knowing your mic placement and whether you had the lid/front panel open or closed?

I think microphone placement is a bit tricky in an upright piano and what works for me might not work for you. I tried a bunch of different positions before coming up with my current set up. If the microphones and room acoustics were different, that setup might not have worked. I use a couple of AKG P170 small capsule condenser mics and I place them approximately 8'' from the top lid, faced down in a straight angle. The mics are aligned with the front edge of the lid and each one is shifted about 15'' from the corresponding lateral edge (left and right). I keep the front panel closed and the top lid just a bit open, about 2''.

It is kind of hard to explain, but you can check my recordings on YouTube and there are a few older videos that shows the microphone placement. In this one: YouTube - Recital Repertoire, you can see the left microphone position clearly. The other mic is mirrored to the right in a similar way. My current setup uses a slightly different position, with the left mic more to the left and the right more to the right. In the old setup I would have trouble playing the lower notes because of the mic stand position.
Anyway, I hope my explanation was clear enough, but feel free to ask me more questions smile

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.

[Linked Image]

11 JazzyProf

Powerful Gospel hymn tune. Powerfully played! Love these, and other worship tunes. They all point in one direction. The direction of One in whom every life matters.

12 Animisha

I enjoyed this, faultlessly played. Onwards and upward for you!

13 Serge 88

Loved the easy relaxed rhythm o' this! Timeless. Well done!

14 Jason Lenthe

Def. one o' my favourites! So expressive in nature, fine job, lovely sound! I always imagine an old man, perhaps an aristocrat, looking down from an upstairs window, as a very comely lass passes below, maybe just about her duties. She possesses a magical quality, as some do, that bewitches him.
But though he's old, he used to be young. And he then wished. . . Reflections on life. Happens to me down the gym . . .

15 Pianist685

What a classic sound! Superb! Love these oldies; they embody so much of what we play now. And you give it a period seriousness.

16 Lanky Pianist

Good progress, man! Sounds very fluent! Welcome to the Club! There's nothing exclusive about us . . .

17 Edmond Rhapsody

Well done! Sounds just great on your P515. Got one myself; never tried out the rhythm yet though.

18 bSharp (C)yclist

Well do I remember this! Going back over 60 years . . .Thanks for reminding me how old I am . . .Nice job. Sounded great.

19 rwsavory

The first of the Bach 48. I done that one. Only 47 to go! Sounded nice to my old ears. And I'm not in the right mood to sue now. have fun!

20 Rich D

Lovely sound, as if from a large hall; You play very well and expressively. It flows so nicely. A pleasure to hear.

See y'all soon!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by piano_primo
25. thepianoplayer416 - Blue Skies Nice, playing and meaningful piece. Your piano has an authentic acoustic sound .I think, but not sure, maybe needs a little faster tempo, but still - playing. [I like ELO's "Mr. Blue Skies"]
Coincidentally after your vid a player piano video played the same piece...made me wonder if any those greats ever faked it with player pianos being the keys were moving and they only had to have their hands in the right area. Time for me to get a player. LOL

Thanks for your comments. Normally I'd go to the local conservatory and borrow a grand piano for an hour for practice & recording. Since the shutdown early in March, the place hasn't reopened and probably not until the end of the year. I have to be happy with the piano simulation that comes out of a DP.

The tempo on the sheet says "Moderately" with no suggested BPM beside it. It's neither too fast or too slow. A playing version (with no regards for singing) can be speeded up to sound like a fun piece. When the piece was written in 1926, the mood was melancholy (as a slower piece for singing). It was the height of the Roaring Twenties with optimism & boundless prosperity. There was also a sense that the good times won't last forever as in the crash of '29.

To do an authentic but fake player piano version on camera you either need the score or a good ear to reproduce the exact notes and play them at the same tempo. By the time you learned to "fake" the finger sequences, you would have practiced the piece long enough to learn the notes not to have to fake. In a movie you can tell if an actor who can't play faked his / her piano or violin playing when the fingers are not on the right notes.

An enjoyable recital once again with interesting choices of compositions! Congrats to all the performers, and thank you Sam S and Monica K.

Here are some thoughts on the first submissions.

01. psyche23 - Holiday in Paris (to do)
What an enjoyable little piece. I like the gentle and slightly romantic mood that conveys the idea of Paris. When your performance ended, I really thought "Whaaat? Is it already over? I want to hear more!"

03. MarieJ - Elegy for the Arctic (to do)
This already sonds quite polished to me. Your wonderful light touch and subtle expression somehow turn this repetitive composition into riveting music.

04. Peter Hontaru - Waltz in F minor (to do)
This waltz is definitely worth learning, playing and listening to. I like how your playing gives it a gentle allure. Nice work.

05. KevinM - Nocturne No. 20 in C Sharp Minor Post. (to do)
once again you've prepared an eminently competent and possibly flawless performance, KevinM. Fantastic playing with just the right amount of movement and sentiment. Well done!

06. Peyton - Chasing Bliss (to do)
Your composition does have a wistful and brooding sound that you could associate with chasing bliss. Nice piece and nice playing. I'm getting both Einaudi and Tiersen vibes from this.

07. selfishplayer - Keyboard Concerto No.1 in D Minor BWV 1052 1st Movement Allegro Piano Solo (to do)
Consdering the trouble I had recording my 6-minute performance, I think I understand your struggle with this 7-minute recording. I also experienced a couple of "Woohoo this is going pretty well so far... OH NOES why am I playing this like easy part crap????" moments.

More importantly, the end result sounds good, and I'm impressived you can play such a long and challenging piece at this level. Great finish too!

08. Ted Jones - "The prankquean nips a paly one" (to do)
The beginning of the piece is sounds as ominous and mischievous as its title. And then come the lighter, more gentle parts, which are equally enjoyable. Nice work.

09. SwissMS/Doris - Intermezzo in A Minor Op. 76 # 7 (to do)
This intermezzo does sound like a piece which shouldn't just be used as an interlude, and you play it very convincingly. Looks like Brahm was not the only one who managed to find inspiration.

10. Ruth CM - Moonlight Sonata 1st Mvt. (No. 14 in C Sharp Minor, Op. 27 No. 2) (to do)
It says a lot about your performance that I've played and listened to the Moonlight Sonata about a million times before, yet thoroughly enjoyed this submission. This ia an impressively polished performance with perfect expression. Your mum should be very happy with this recording!

Originally Posted by Gary001
02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy X]

" a real treat to play." and to listen to.

How long did this piece take you to learn and polish to this standard?

I'm glad you enjoyed the piece, Gary! I actually don't know how long I worked on this piece. I started learning it over 10 years ago. Then came my long piano hiatus. After my return to the piano, I practised it on and off for some time, until I finally started working on it more diligently and methodically for the last 6 months or so. In the end, I'd say that I gave this piece about the same amount of time that I do most other pieces I consider 'big projects', i.e. 1 practice session/week for a year.

Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy X]
I played through this game. (I also played Final Fantasy 7 and Tactics but none of the others)
I only remember the opening theme and I do hear that in this piece too. Definitely brings back some memories. I don’t really remember the rest.

The reprise of To Zanarkand in this theme is pretty much the icing on the cake for me.

I've replayed Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version) recently and it still holds up wonderfully. In my opinion, it is also the FF entry with the best non-Uematsu soundtrack.

Originally Posted by hawgdriver
02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy X] – Yas! Moar VG musics. I think in a previous recital I mentioned I dragged my family to see/hear the Colo Symphony perform a FF cross-section. What a great experience. FF7 is 1997 for me, a defining game and life experience. I grew up on FF 1-3. I never played 10. I think Uematsu and Fujisawa (Hisaishi) are finally starting to get the recognition they deserve as world-class composers like Brahms and Chopin. Well, for me they are, and for you too it seems.

Thanks for commenting! I definitely remember your post about that FF concert since I felt so envious. A 'champion of Uematsu', huh? I shall gladly accept that title!

Wait, Joe Hisaishi's real name is Fujisawa? I always assumed it was Josuke Hisaishi or something.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Originally Posted by piano_primo
25. thepianoplayer416 - Blue Skies Nice, playing and meaningful piece. Your piano has an authentic acoustic sound .I think, but not sure, maybe needs a little faster tempo, but still - playing. [I like ELO's "Mr. Blue Skies"]
Coincidentally after your vid a player piano video played the same piece...made me wonder if any those greats ever faked it with player pianos being the keys were moving and they only had to have their hands in the right area. Time for me to get a player. LOL

Thanks for your comments....

Either way, Good performance and I thought your playing was very good and the piano had an authentic acoustic sound.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think now I'm in the mood for a fried spaghetti sandwich ha.... more later.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Calavera
Wait, Joe Hisaishi's real name is Fujisawa? I always assumed it was Josuke Hisaishi or something.

Who knew, right? I only discovered it at that time too. I would have preferred to remember only one name...

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
F
F
Another batch
Again. Sorry for language-issues which i partly blame on english not being my first language and partly on writing this on my phone. But mostly due to laziness.

31. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - The Prophet Bird well done. Havent played this myself and admitting that i might have heard this a couple of time before i am somewhat unfamiliar with the song i am not sure i can say anything useful to you except. I liked it and I enjoyed how you olayed it.

32. Tootles - With Star and Wind never heard this ine either. Sounds like a good future go to for some arpeggios. Good work with the sustain pedal. Also kudos on your hand (watching your video) all these will come back and help you later on.

33. AssociateX(Liz) - Etude in F minor Op. 10 # 9
Thank you for your entry. This one truly seems like a challenge. And i understand that you still have some work with this one. But i can hear that you do like it and there is nothing as wonderful as undertaking a challenging piece of music. You and me both have taken up the piano again as adult and its a bit terrfiying isn’t it? Its like your on your own and off the track for so long. I watched the video – and something looked .. tensed when it came to your positioning of fingers and hand? I would have wanted your left hand lifted a bit?

34. JoBert - Genesis never heard this one . You are playing this one well.

35. Jerzyk19 - Nocturne Op.72 No.1 in E minor
I allways been intimidated by Chopin. And you undertake this one after only 4 years experience. And good too. Wow.

36. zsolpyW - Umowilem sie z nia na 9
Thank you for this one. Dont have much to say about this. Maybe not my kind of music but I do think you did well.

37. ShiroKuro - Moments (to do)
Thank you for the entry. Watched the video only. But think you show talent! Your hand seem to be positioned fine. If i would change something i would dared this to be filled with more dynamic phrasing. Sometimes letting it speed away and then slow it down. Woth softer and stronger parts.

38. Mosotti - Scherzo from Sonata in F Major, Hob XVI.9
Injury or not. You did it. And you did it good. A short song but yet very good for a 2 year student.

39. PianoPrimo - My Heart Will Go On Love Theme from Titanic Good work. Not sure if I dare give ylu technical advice. I probably need to try it myself – watching i had some thoughts about the position of fingdrs etc
If you want more feedback I could take a short look at the scores. Msg me.

40. Pathbreaker - op. 39 Waltzes 3 and 5
Never played any Brahms myself. Maybe i should. This was lovely and you did it really good. Great recording good performance.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Calavera
08. Ted Jones - "The prankquean nips a paly one" (to do)
The beginning of the piece is sounds as ominous and mischievous as its title. And then come the lighter, more gentle parts, which are equally enjoyable. Nice work.

Thanks for listening. Yes, I have also noticed an increasingly ominous aspect to my recordings, but as you and others imply, variety and contrast count for much.

Originally Posted by peterws
8 Ted Jones
Another on the rampage! But it's nice to hear the quieter bits too, Ted. Thought o' doing something similar myself, but with slower harmonies. Reckon it'd send me and everyone to sleep though. . . You'll never do that! I enjoyed it in an abstract sort of way, if that makes sense. Nice job; it does create lively pictures in the mind!

All music is abstract to me Peter. You could develop free improvisation yourself to complement your composition, you are obviously not short of ideas. You could also use it as a source of ideas for formal compositions, plenty of composers do that. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Ted; 08/18/20 07:02 PM.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
42. Greta99 - Sonata in E minor, H.XVI No.34 - 3. Vivace molto Very impressive clear and distinct playing of right and left hands .. Enjoyable listen .

43. lvojnovic - Sonata in D major, 2. movement Well this really sounded good , nice acoustic piece that was phrased well. _PS I do the same.. .wait until the last week. frown

44. Purrblast - Sostenuto (KK IVb No. 10) Nice piece and played well. It sounds like it has an electric piano layer ? Anyway short /sweet , nice piece.

45. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Nocturne in C sharp minor, Op. 27/1 Quite a piece to play and learn. This must have been nerve-racking labor in so many ways. But it was awesome! Apparently this piece was a spiritual journey to you. So, you got a sip from the Holy Grail. I think there's more than one way though. But, none-the-less superb playing and recording. But the Grail aspect [I think] has to be found over and over...but what do I know? [would have liked to see the score you use re: M99 [what a significant number too! Symbolizes spiritual perfection/harmony:)] TY for submitting. PS I did have an experience similar to that before, once or twice.... I won't share the details here ...!

46. dumka1 - Arabesque 1 Nicely played and real acoustic sound . . Really enjoyed this visceral rendition and dynamics. Truly beautiful piece. Kudos to you!

47. Brian Moore - Minuet, French Suite 6 Nice sound to this .. i have a preference for acoustic pianos. [I have a Digital ] but I liked this ... good even pace. Video came out good ...I use wmm and sometimes it looks like the old fashioned spy cams. smile And stay strong !

48. Tubbie0075 - Sonata in B minor Kp. 377 Grade 7 ,,, it seems like a 10 +++ Anyway clear clean crisp playing ... Nice distinct lt /rt hands sounding and phrasing.

49. jotur/Cathy Turner - Creole Belles Well I like this ! Good piece solid playing and brought me to another era. [your piano sounds super acoustic] -I'll look into a px 160]

50. Ralphiano - Musette in D Major WOW , really good, nice even playing .... Enjoyed this listen !

51. Tyrone Slothrop - La Caroline, Wq. 117/39, H. 98 Nice steady playing and good choice of a piece. but,,, there was quite a hiss in the recording. No Matter enjoyed the acoustic sound!

52. Qwerty53 - Sentimental Waltz, no. 6 from Valses Poeticos Very pretty unchained kind of melody that I guess the music would refer to person's memory of the waltz and he/she meanders through. Quite pleasing to think of this melody for me in this way. Enjoyed this ... short but somehow filled with a memory of drama piece [suspends time?]. Maybe as in a fantasy or dream?

53. winterflower - escapes/escapades Interesting piece. not sure ... you might look into something like abstract music composition. Or, maybe mix the to improv with known pieces... Anyway enjoyed this .

54. BingoDingo - Prelude No. 22 in G Minor, Op. 87 Well sounds clear and clean ...and like the previous somewhat abstract. Coool! Enjoyed it ... TY

55. Sam S - Sonata K1 that is so fantastic... loved the sound .. Nice harpsichord.. Where'd you steal it form? LOL joking... no seriously really different and creative-feeling time piece. Well played.

Time for a beer ...here ...
i appreciate all the comments I got and hope to be in the next recital .. but might take a break .

Sam I think you may have forgot to close the General recital 59 listings.. I started to post there. {I deleted the post}

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
33. AssociateX(Liz) - Etude in F minor Op. 10 # 9 An overwhelming sense of urgency, culminating in a final sigh of relief … an amazing composition! Great performance.

34. JoBert - Genesis That *was* a dramatic piece, and you brought out its full flavour. So well played, I really enjoyed your rendition.

35. Jerzyk19 - Nocturne Op.72 No.1 in E minor Welcome back, Jerzyk19, and thank you for your selection. That was truly beautiful! Bravo!

36. zsolpyW - Umowilem sie z nia na 9 Another piece which I’m sure is new to me - but various sections seemed to ring a bell which told me I’d heard it before. Well done!

37. ShiroKuro - Moments Wow - Alexis Ffrench’s delicate composition, a beautiful C2, and your sensitive touch. I listened to both versions and found it difficult to choose; I *think* the Zoom version was clearer, perhaps the iPhone version had more reverb. A triple treat - delightful.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
38. Mosotti - Scherzo from Sonata in F Major, Hob XVI.9 The toddler’s liveliness was a good match for the liveliness of your performance. That was fun! I’m glad your wrist improved in time for your recording.

39. PianoPrimo - My Heart Will Go On Love Theme from Titanic You put a lot of creative effort into this: video, Musescore, and other instruments. A very nice result!

40. Pathbreaker - op. 39 Waltzes 3 and 5 I loved both waltzes but #3 was my favourite. Beautiful.

41. Gary001 - Hymn to the Sea from Titanic A lot of variety here, with different ‘voices’, key changes, and dynamics. Thoroughly enjoyable.

42. Greta99 - Sonata in E minor, H.XVI No.34 - 3. Vivace molto A special delight, with your lovely delicate touch, and nicely controlled ornaments and dynamics. I certainly didn't notice any flaws. Congratulations!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thank you to everyone who listened to my recording and thank you all for the very kind comments!!

I am listening slowly through the recital and enjoying every minute of it! I hope to post some comments this weekend.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
28. Tim Adrianson - Where the Rivers Go
I agree with you, Tim. Like a meandering river, issuing from its source and seeking an outlet, this music is very sad and yearning. You expressed it well with your playing—nice job.

29. wouter79 - Prelude KV397 and Fuga Op.822
With all due respect, I disagree with your views of Mozart’s Fantasy K 397. First of all, I think the piece is extremely popular for a reason: it’s exceptional in its entirety, apart perhaps from the last 10 bars that were written by someone other than Mozart himself. Second, I must take issue with your labeling of the piece as a prelude and fugue. While historian’s argue that the Fantasy as Mozart had written it (up to bar 97) MAY have been intended in its entirety to be a Prelude to a future Fugue that Mozart never managed to compose, to the best of my musical knowledge there is nothing like a fugue form within the piece itself as you say there is. I believe your contention is that there is a fugue that begins at that point when the Fantasy changes its mode to D major. If there’s a fugue beginning at that point (measure 55) as you contend there is, would you please specify what is the subject, where are the voices repeating that subject, and where are the episodes that define the fugue you allege?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You would think, being retired, I would just sit around all day and play/listen to music. If you beieve that, then you are not retired!

I am starting at the end and working back, since those of us at the back of the pack always seem to get less comments.

36. zsolpyW - Umowilem sie z nia na 9 Very nice - never heard of this piece or the composer, but I loved it!

37. ShiroKuro - Moments First piece by Ffrench I have ever heard (why 2 fs? One wasn't enough?) Loved it!

38. Mosotti - Scherzo from Sonata in F Major, Hob XVI.9 The video cracked me - perfect for the music. Does that kid ever get tired? Well done!

39. PianoPrimo - My Heart Will Go On Love Theme from Titanic Loved the video - well done. And the playing was great too!

40. Pathbreaker - op. 39 Waltzes 3 and 5 Love these Brahm's waltzes - and I love your playing of them! Thanks!

41. Gary001 - Hymn to the Sea from Titanic (to do) 1050 hours exactly? Cool! Recording: I thought it was good, especially from an upright(?). I loved your version of this piece (which I am not familiar with). Well done!

42. Greta99 - Sonata in E minor, H.XVI No.34 - 3. Vivace molto Just the tempo marking would have scared me off - "Vivace molto!". You did a great job with it - very even and clear. Especially the scales and turns. Loved it!

43. lvojnovic - Sonata in D major, 2. movement Love the Haydn slow movements. They always sound like a men's chorus to me. I can hear the singing in this one. Well done!

44. Purrblast - Sostenuto (KK IVb No. 10) Since you are from Warsaw, I would expect some great Chopin! You didn't disappoint - excellent!

45. Hawgdriver (Leon) - Nocturne in C sharp minor, Op. 27/1 Thanks for tell us so frankly how you feel about this piece - that was a great read. I share your feelings about some pieces. And it is just such a miracle when it all comes together and we are able to play something we love. The hope that I can someday play one of my favorites well keeps me on the bench practicing. Excellent and well done!

46. dumka1 - Arabesque 1 This one is on my bucket list - but everything goes by so fast! You did an excellent job with it! I love the twisting/turning/swirling feeling that you got.

47. Brian Moore - Minuet, French Suite 6 Sorry to hear about your loss Brian, but glad to see you are back at the piano. Keep it up!

48. Tubbie0075 - Sonata in B minor Kp. 377 This would have been great for the Scarlatti themed recital. Don't feel bad - I missed it too. And you are playing from memory. Loved it!

49. jotur/Cathy Turner - Creole Belles I love the swing of this one! Never heard of this. I have been working on a ragtime piece and it is slow going - it may never be recorded at this rate, so i know how hard it is. Well done!

50. Ralphiano - Musette in D Major Long ago, in another lifetime, I played this. And then in piano pedagogy class, it was one of the examples for baroque style. Thanks for the memories! Well done!

51. Tyrone Slothrop - La Caroline, Wq. 117/39, H. 98 I haven't heard this in a long time! Nice choice of pieces - Herr C.P.E. is underplayed. Well done! Love the dynamics. I suppose he would have played this on the clavichord (his favorite instrument?).

52. Qwerty53 - Sentimental Waltz, no. 6 from Valses Poeticos Very nice! I can tell you have worked on it for a long time - it sounds very polished and complete.

53. winterflower - escapes/escapades Pretty cool! You and Ted need to get together!

54. BingoDingo - Prelude No. 22 in G Minor, Op. 87
What an odd piece. It took me a minute to get into it, with all the repetition. Well done!

More to come!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Everyone did a great job! Bravo!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi back, Leon! I miss the Denver piano parties frown I think a couple of us still go to the meetup parties, and I went to one of them, but for me it was more fun with ABF PW posters that I felt like I knew. Maybe after all this pandemic stuff is over I can talk my brother in CO Springs in to letting me host a reunion at this place, if we can find everyone.

piano primo - I have always liked the casio sound, and since I'm not made of money I have also always appreciated their inexpensiveness. I would still prefer an acoustic, but alas and alack that's not in the cards. The privias are pretty light weight, too - the px-160 even more so - and since I sometimes haul them around that's an advantage. The onboard speakers aren't particularly loud, tho, so when I *do* haul it around I also have an external amp/speaker, so that kind of offsets it laugh Glad you liked the piece smile

Sam S - I had thought this would be an easy piece laugh , and note-wise it was. But I found that actually putting in the accents/phrasing/ragtime was more challenging than that. The good news is, as we all learn sooner or later, is that when I go back and play other ragtime pieces that I know not only does the "feel" come more easily, I hear them differently and they liven up more. So it's good that I have some years left to learn ragtime tunes smile

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
More comments - working back to front again.

24. Dani Cohen (Flygbladet) - Caprice, E-major (Op 44 No 12) I have never heard this (not surprising!) Excellent!

25. thepianoplayer416 - Blue Skies I've always loved this song - well done!

26. facdo - Nocturne in E minor, Op.72 No.1 Excellent! Hard to believe you only restarted a couple of years ago.

27. Amy H - Letting It Go I have never heard of this composer - now I am going to have to look him up. Well done!

28. Tim Adrianson - Where the Rivers Go Well played as usual, Tim. But I am not getting intense sadness though. Maybe it's the tonal language that is used, or the constant rhythm/pattern of the accompaniment, but it just doesn't strike me that way.

29. wouter79 - Prelude KV397 and Fuga Op.822 Very good! I have read that this piece was intended as a prelude to some other piece in a concert. It was common practice back then to improvise a prelude between pieces in a concert. That is why it ends on the dominant - it would have led right into the real piece on the program, which could have been anything - but probably not a fugue. In practice, this all would have been improvised instead of written out. Nowadays, preluding is out of style though. I would just play this as is, with the added ending (maybe make up your own!) and not follow it with anything in particular.

30. Snejana - Emerald Gem Not emerald, but blue - strikes me as sad and blue. Excellent!

31. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - The Prophet Bird So mysterious and puzzling, but at the same time satisfying. Wonderful!

32. Tootles - With Star and Wind - the secret is that Tootles is my wife of 40 years!. And that is a Yamaha C3, not a C2. And Tootles does have a severely bent right index finger from arthritis, but she doesn't let that stop her!

33. AssociateX(Liz) - Etude in F minor Op. 10 # 9 Don't know if I will ever tackle a Chopin etude, so you are brave to attempt it. You did a great job!

34. JoBert - Genesis What is that image in the video? Giant paper wasps feeding on a paper warrior skeleton? OK... Loved the piece though - Martha Maier is very popular with one of my piano groups.

35. Jerzyk19 - Nocturne Op.72 No.1 in E minor Very impressive playing - very sensitive!

More to come!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
12. Animisha - Morning Glories
I'm not familiar with this composer. This was a short and very moreish performance. Even if the piece were 10 times as long, I would have enjoyed every minute of your playing.

13. Serge88 - As Time Goes By
A lovely piece with a nice relaxing pace. Good job with this even and delicate performance.

16. Lanky Pianist - Sonatina in G Major 1st Movement (Moderato)
Nice playing. If your next recital submissions are as good as this one, I'd say they're a very welcome addition.

17. Edmond Rhapsody - Korobeiniki
An interesting choice! I grinned as soon as I saw the title appear on my iPod. You sound like you're having a lot of fun with this piece. I don't know if that's what you were going for, but the added background sound emphasizes the video game feel.

18. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - To a Wild Rose (Op. 51, No. 1)
This sounds like a very pleasant piece to play. Nice soothing performance.

20. Rich D. - Preludio En La Noche (Prelude In The Night)
Thanks for sharing this. A fine performance with a dainty mood.

21. QuasiUnaFantasia - Waltz op. 39 no. 15
Your playing sounds pleasantly peaceful and confident. Well done!

22. peterws - Siciliano
A really fine performance. It feels like the high-quality work of a skiled craftsman who toiled away to create an extremely polished product.

24. Dani Cohen (Flygbladet) - Caprice, E-major (Op 44 No 12)
The tempo you chose sounds great. I can hear the waves too. Did you use any VST or is that the P-45's internal sound? If it's the latter, I had no idea the P-45 could sound this good (in the right hands).

26. facdo - Nocturne in E minor, Op.72 No.1
An even performance with a lovely melancholy mood. Nice job with this Chopin piece. Technically impressive too.

27. Amy H - Letting It Go
I looked up Peter Bence out of curiosity and was surprised to find out that this composer is so young. I really like how each repetition in your performance sounds fresh and seems to add something new.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission