2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
43 members (AndrewJCW, Del Vento, Beowulf, Antho123, c++, chopinetto, 10 invisible), 556 guests, and 544 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: Why Do You Play The Piano?
Piano World #2981656 05/20/20 12:11 PM
M
M
I just LOVE it.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Piano World #2988555 06/06/20 04:44 PM
C
C
Ill keep it simple , because I love making music

Piano World #2989699 06/10/20 11:20 AM
V
V
I'd always wanted to play piano as a kid, had many friends who took lessons (and complained endlessly about it), but we never had the money for things like musical lessons and instruments. I've always loved the sound of the piano; it's such a versatile instrument. Never really had any burning desire to learn another instrument, although I do love the sound of the violin. Acquired a guitar in college, because it was the only instrument I could afford, but my heart was never really in it so I never stuck with it long-term. Finally got a digital piano a couple years ago in my late 30s, when I could finally afford one, and started lessons. My goal in learning is just to be able to play things I like and to enjoy playing them well, although I think it's going to be a very long road given how late I started learning.

Faber Piano Adventures AIO Book 2
Roland FP-30
Piano World #2991688 06/15/20 11:56 AM
C
C
As I advance in age, I'm finding that my mountains to climb are fewer and fewer. Athletic and professional heights have been achieved, love was achieved (thank God, at last!), a child who loves me. And I've owned my beautiful Chickering grand for 42 years. But I am of an age that things seem a bit meandering, toward what we all know we face. Lately I have been inspired by the young, talented and charming pianist Tiffany Poon on You Tube, whose motto is "Be kind and keep striving." This simple motto struck me, since I'm in declining health and because of that I tend to be morose. I want to break this into two parts: 1) Be kind to others always, cheerful and helpful; and 2) Keep striving for "something." I still have some professional life, but the striving also can include (and does) the piano. I'm currently "striving" to prepare for the July Scarlatti event. This is exciting to me! I hope to continue. Thank you Piano Forum for providing additional meaning to my life!

Last edited by cfhosford; 06/15/20 11:59 AM.

1978 Chickering Patrician, 5-feet 8-1/2
Piano World #2991707 06/15/20 12:54 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Hi CFH,

I would add to the be kind to others, be kind to yourself. I would also say that be careful to recognize the joys and rewards that there can still be in life even with declining health, but putting on a cheery face when things are tough doesn't always help. Find the things that give you rewards and joy.

Piano is definitely that for me. I get a reward when I enjoy listening to myself play after many hours of practise. There is something life affirming to that. My joy comes from seeing the success of friends and catching up with them.

Welcome and good luck with your continuing piano journey.

Piano World #2995140 06/25/20 03:36 PM
M
M
Hi,
So, 6 years ago I went to his jazz gig and came out, as so often, thinking "Great! But I really don't understand it".
Then, as anyway I was looking for something to do that didn't require staring as at a computer or jumping out of a plane; I thought I'll learn about jazz from the inside! Given my entire music playing amounted to a year or two of clarinet, aged 10 (around 45 years before) the obvious thing do was to buy an alto sax. Juiced up on some "learn jazz sax" e-lessons & scratched around learning some theory.... For theory it became obvious that a keyboard was a better tool than a sax, so I got a basic Yamaha, then loaded up on pianoforall - because I wanted a chord first approach... And that was it. The piano prompted itself to a fist class pursuit! Upgraded to the FP-30 as well as adding a tenor sax and a clarinet to the stable. And a zoom h2n ... Because, well at least I have to listen to myself even if no-one else will! And I have a K&M 107 Music Stand because I'm 6'4'' but that's a sax thing. And a Nei because I'm not only curious about jazz...
I still can play jazz - but I'm happily trekking through the foot hills & lower slopes. One day...

Last edited by mizmar; 06/25/20 03:42 PM.
mizmar #2995162 06/25/20 04:35 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by mizmar
day...

What a lovely intro to your piano start in life. Welcome and I hope to hear evidence of your progress.

KevinM #2995720 06/27/20 03:53 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by KevinM
Originally Posted by mizmar
day...

What a lovely intro to your piano start in life. Welcome and I hope to hear evidence of your progress.
Thanks. My dream is the record a duet or trio with myself. Some distance yet!!

Piano World #2997713 07/01/20 11:00 PM
P
P
I just spent a couple of hours reading all these "Why Do You Play..." messages and find it all amazing. Thanks to everyone for posting them!

I had some lessons when I was about 7 or 8, and after several I begged my Mom to let me stop. I don't recall the exact reason other than it was probably frustration of some sort. We always had an upright in the house, and her mother also had an upright in HER house, so I would just mess around with simple melodies whenever I'd visit but I never had a yearning to get serious about it. Like many of you here, I got into guitar in the 60s and fantasized being in a rock band but never got serious (Beatles? No, The Ventures!). Played cornet in elementary, jr. high, and high school, and a little in Junior College, but never seriously. Then started collecting a few guitars figuring that if I can't play proficiently, I can enjoy the workmanship on them and still have fun now and then. My wife has been a music teacher for most of her life, and brought a baby grand into the marriage. I never had the desire to play because I was always so frustrated to know that I'd blown the opportunity to learn all those years ago. So, the baby grand has been in our music room all these years without me even touching it.

Suddenly, a few weeks ago, a relative's misfortune caused me to 'inherit' my Great-grandfather's 1908 Steinway Model A2, in solid but very poor condition. I took it in order to save it and keep it in the family, but after a few weeks of studying and reading about the Steinway history and getting professional inspections, I'm seriously mulling over a complete restoration - just trying to figure out how to pay for it. And just having it here in the house with me has given me some inspiration to start learning the basics again. At least I can already read music, but now the hard part... realizing my limitations after all these years and accepting the level I'll start and probably end at. But even with a problem piano, I'm having fun tinkering with basic music and getting ready to do some lessons at the age of 70. And hopefully, in many months from now, we'll have a fully-restored piano that I can enjoy myself, but also listen to friends and family who CAN play well. And I came to Piano World as a result of reading Grand Obsession, by Perri Knize. Wonderful read that also showed me how supportive people like you on this page can be.

Piano World #2997745 07/02/20 02:51 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Piperbill! Welcome to PW and thank you for your interesting story. Once you have accepted the level you will start and end at, and you find yourself applying yourself to the piano, you can find so many lovely small pieces that you can learn to play beautifully and expressively. Kindly ask you wife to teach you, and you'll find that there is a whole world of music waiting for you.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Piano World #3000016 07/07/20 06:41 PM
O
O
Hi! Newbie here; well, sort of. Why do I play the piano? Necessity, and I really don't, yet.

And I'm probably coming in here from about 137 degrees out from most folks! Long story...

So two-thirds the way through the last century, as a youth I took organ lessons for about 8 years. The methodology was simple; melody, chords and bass pedals. I really liked the pedals part, even though I mostly faked it, I never really did even learn the bass clef, but it was very intuitive.

So fast forward to where I was 50. I went to a jam night with a guitarist friend, and the bass player hands me his instrument and says here, you're playing with him. Huh? He says, no, it's easy, it's only three notes, here, I'll show you.

Two weeks later I show back up with my first bass guitar! Move forward again, and I'm now 64, and have been gigging for almost a dozen years in rock and roll cover bands from 20 to 35 times a year! And it was fairly easy to teach myself the bass guitar over those years, I'm sure that background with the pedals 40 years prior helped that a lot. Here I've been a bass player all my life and only now realize it!!!! And a life-long learner, too; I didn't get my bachelor's degree until I was 45, either.

But back up three years; the other two guys in the fantastic band I'm in hear me goofing around, singing at practice. And so they "forced" me to get a mic, and now I sing 20% of our songs, plus backing vocals and lots of harmony! Now THAT was a difficult but fun learning process!!! I still have much to learn in that area.

So we want to add more depth to our music to set ourselves apart, along with a lot of harmony. And not add another band member. Our drummer gets an inexpensive keyboard to do some piano and vocal chorus intros to some songs. But frankly, his playing is fine, except his timing is absolutely terrible, despite being an excellent drummer. OK, here we go again, I decided that we needed a keyboard and it was up to me, at least having some experience.

The problem is obviously; now there's no bass!

This ended up with me getting a Casio CTK7200 that was capable enough to allow splitting the keyboard, so I could play bass with my left hand and "lead", melody and chords with the right using various selected tones (flute, oboe, strings, choral vocals, piano, Hammond/Leslie, synth, etc.) I also completely shut off any key velocity parameters to make it more "organ-like" for ease of playing; the notes are either on or off.

I actually picked right back up on many things, like chord structures and inversions, although now it's with my right hand. I'm slowly learning to play "bass" well on the left split, although it has been difficult.

It's to the point now where I can almost freely switch between bass and keyboard, even while singing on several songs we play out. On one song I even play a flute intro, switch to bass guitar and singing during two verses and choruses, go back to keys for a flute solo and then a piano solo, then back to bass and singing! On some songs I just started tapping the bass line on the guitar (basically "hammering-on" at the appropriate string/fret) while adding fills in on the keys, but that's obviously difficult and coming slowly.

Finally, back to the forum topic, why do I play the Piano? Necessity!!! Well, actually I really don't. But I'd like to start learning to REALLY play the "piano" parts well enough that I can put the key velocity function back on. That will allow missing dynamics in my playing. I didn't have it on the organ keys, but at least there's an expression pedal for dynamics. My bass is also very sensitive to my playing dynamics.

Here we go again, with the learning! Yay!

I'll probably be asking some questions on the adult learner's forum.

Bass player, Vocals and Keyboards for The Feds Band
Piano World #3006330 07/24/20 12:40 PM
O
O
1. I'm getting older and piano is good for the brain.

2. I did an inventory of skills I developed in my life and found some that I started and gained some proficiency but didn't pursue further. (Japanese & Piano) Rather than waste them by leaving them in the past, I decided to pick them back up and actually turn them into expertise.

Yamaha P-515
In the market for an acoustic grand.
Piano World #3014498 08/16/20 08:57 AM
M
M
I had a dream where I played Titanic on the piano and really enjoyed it, it felt emotional and peaceful. Some months later I had the same type of dream and thought that this is a sign to start playing, so I bought a digitalpiano the same week. Now I have been playing for 8months and I love it.

Last edited by Mikael; 08/16/20 09:00 AM.
Piano World #3014499 08/16/20 09:00 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Wonderful, mikael! Welcome to PW
I assume learning to play the theme from Titanic is on your ‘to learn’ list

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #3014504 08/16/20 09:13 AM
M
M
Hi, and thank you dogperson. I can actually play it, it was the first whole piece I learnt. It probably took me at least 2months but I was determined to learn it wink

Mikael #3014701 08/16/20 07:41 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Mikael
I had a dream where I played Titanic on the piano and really enjoyed it, it felt emotional and peaceful. Some months later I had the same type of dream and thought that this is a sign to start playing, so I bought a digitalpiano the same week. Now I have been playing for 8months and I love it.

That dream could have been a warning that you should never go on a cruise laugh

But on a serious note, well done for following your dream and I think that that you will enjoy your journey.

Piano World #3015572 08/19/20 12:40 PM
Full disclosure, I play the piano for the same reason I play bass guitar, and guitar. I'm at the Asperger end of the autism spectrum and music to me is like cash to others. It attracts me, takes me places, immediately takes my mind off of everything, and the nit-picking aspect of my disorder makes me search out/appreciate idiosyncrasies of artists, or unusual sounds/effects. Like the old Mattel Football handheld "touchdown" ring in Supertramp's The Logical Song, or Keith Moon's propensity for flam/cymbal, or the vibra-slap in Never There by Cake, Crazy Train by Ozzy, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Sweet Emotion, and a couple of others. The piano is enigmatically the shortest, most direct route to a song, while at the same time being the "scenic route." If you're familiar with Nocturne in E Flat major (Op. 9, No. 2), by Chopin--no two individuals play it the same--and that's wonderful to me. That piece takes me to the same place as Jimmy Page's guitar solo in Ramble On, where it's just a quiet guitar, bass, and drums. And for what it's worth, the piano in Imagine (particularly at the start/intro) sounds to me like it's being played on the other side of a lake, in the morning where the fog is thick, and the music is fighting to get to the other side.

Last edited by SparkyLB; 08/19/20 12:43 PM.

He not busy being born is busy dying.
SparkyLB #3015582 08/19/20 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by SparkyLB
Full disclosure, I play the piano for the same reason I play bass guitar, and guitar. I'm at the Asperger end of the autism spectrum and music to me is like cash to others. It attracts me, takes me places, immediately takes my mind off of everything, and the nit-picking aspect of my disorder makes me search out/appreciate idiosyncrasies of artists, or unusual sounds/effects. Like the old Mattel Football handheld "touchdown" ring in Supertramp's The Logical Song, or Keith Moon's propensity for flam/cymbal, or the vibra-slap in Never There by Cake, Crazy Train by Ozzy, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Sweet Emotion, and a couple of others. The piano is enigmatically the shortest, most direct route to a song, while at the same time being the "scenic route." If you're familiar with Nocturne in E Flat major (Op. 9, No. 2), by Chopin--no two individuals play it the same--and that's wonderful to me. That piece takes me to the same place as Jimmy Page's guitar solo in I meant to say What Is And What Should Never Be, where it's just a quiet guitar, bass, and drums. And for what it's worth, the piano in Imagine (particularly at the start/intro) sounds to me like it's being played on the other side of a lake, in the morning where the fog is thick, and the music is fighting to get to the other side.

He not busy being born is busy dying.
SparkyLB #3017148 08/23/20 07:09 PM
N
Online Content
N
The piano is enigmatically the shortest, most direct route to a song, while at the same time being the "scenic route."

What a fantastic concept -- I love it! Thanks for that beautiful notion.

p.s. I have an Aspie son.

Piano World #3017573 08/25/20 12:58 AM
When I was a kid, my grandma almost forced me to learn to play the piano. I hated it, but I couldn't refuse her. I understand it now, that it was wrong from her side to do so. But back then I thought that the main problem was the piano.
Anyway, a couple of months ago my friends asked me to play for them, and for some reason I agreed and wow that was amazing! I understand that after almost 10 years of rest my fingers got a little slow, but the vibe was so satisfying. Now I keep practicing once or twice a week and it feels great!

I wanna see you smile
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacement for Kawai MP11?
by Dan Clark - 01/22/21 09:04 PM
How to sound like Scriabin
by pianoloverus - 01/22/21 08:10 PM
Most realistic Piano VST?
by Rickdiculous - 01/22/21 06:13 PM
An exemplary piano quiz
by Withindale - 01/22/21 05:57 PM
First DP -- PC Connectivity Question
by Mikex3 - 01/22/21 03:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,471
Posts3,050,310
Members100,180
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission