2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I know this thread is just for fun, more or less, although some here take it seriously, and very seriously. smile

In the past, some here have said that comparing a piano to an automobile is not an apples to apples, or logical comparison. However, I myself have used some analogies comparing pianos and autos, but mostly when discussing marketing, sales strategies and tactics.

Also, some members here, who live in the larger, metropolitan cities, do not currently own a vehicle, because public transit is so available and convenient, and they just don't need one.

That said, I will admit that I have not owned all that many cars/trucks/autos, but I have owned a few. Not sure how to compare pianos to cars, because both can be expensive, and even the most expensive cars and pianos can break and need periodic maintenance.

That said, part II, the last new vehicle I purchased had an MSRP of $49K. After discounts, taxes and fees, I paid over $35K.

So, I guess my Chevy Silverado Crew Cab is comparable to my Yamaha grand piano, which didn't cost near as much, but I bought it preowned. smile

Bottom line! If you got the money to buy expensive and exotic cars, (and wrist watches wink ) and high-dollar pianos, go for it! We only live once...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
rickster
I don’t think anybody begrudges anyone who can buy an expensive piano and expensive cars and expensive wrist watches. But The threads original purpose was to get some descriptive examples a piano comparisons to cars. It is not necessary for the thread to drift off into “this is my expenditures on luxury items’. That can certainly be a new thread and expanded to include yachts and airplanes if anyone wants to add those.

Originally Posted by dogperson
rickster
I don’t think anybody begrudges anyone who can buy an expensive piano and expensive cars and expensive wrist watches. But The threads original purpose was to get some descriptive examples a piano comparisons to cars. It is not necessary for the thread to drift off into “this is my expenditures on luxury items’. That can certainly be a new thread and expanded to include yachts and airplanes if anyone wants to add those.

Sorry, dogperson, but I agree with Lady Bird here...

These kinds of threads always morph into "my piano is better than yours, and my car is better than yours or my wrist watch is better than yours, or my house is better than yours, and I'm better than you, cause I'm rich and can buy anything better than you can buy, and you're from the wrong side of the tracks, and you don't really belong here, cause your piano and your car, and your wrist watch and your house ain't as nice as mine".

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Rickster
rickster

These kinds of threads always morph into "my piano is better than yours, and my car is better than yours or my wrist watch is better than yours, or my house is better than yours, and I'm better than you, cause I'm rich and can buy anything better than you can buy, and you're from the wrong side of the tracks, and you don't really belong here, cause your piano and your car, and your wrist watch and your house ain't as nice as mine".

Rick

Rickster
The OP, ladybird and myself all asked that the thread drift stop s long time ago ... and yet it hasn’t.

I am suggesting that if anyone feels the need to discuss their personal assets it should be on another thread. I personally don’t care about what expensive cars someone else may or may not own and I don’t want to read it. The car that someone owns should not be on this thread.... and certainly not what they paid for it.
This is a Piano forum. This is not an asset comparison forum. I think this will clarify it since you seem to have missed the earlier post asking people to stop

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Old thread called

(link)
Which Car is this Piano?

Last edited by Sir Lurksalot; 08/16/20 12:11 PM.
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Sometimes one just has to accept that things don’t go the way we imagine they should and not waste too much time or emotion on a truly trivial issue.

rickster

Rick

Rickster
The OP, ladybird and myself all asked that the thread drift stop s long time ago ... and yet it hasn’t.

I am suggesting that if anyone feels the need to discuss their personal assets it should be on another thread. I personally don’t care about what expensive cars someone else may or may not own and I don’t want to read it. The car that someone owns should not be on this thread.... and certainly not what they paid for it.
This is a Piano forum. This is not an asset comparison forum. I think this will clarify it since you seem to have missed the earlier post asking people to stop

You are absolutely right, dogperson.

Not all threads here are meant to be inclusive of all members, because some members have difficulty relating to the topic of the thread. I never should have participated in this thread, because I don't have a clue how to compare a piano I've never seen to a car I've never seen, nor ever will. smile

As for keeping threads here on topic and on track, good luck with that!

Rick

Originally Posted by dhull100
Sometimes one just has to accept that things don’t go the way we imagine they should and not waste too much time or emotion on a truly trivial issue.

Great advice, dhull100.

Rick

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dhull100

Great advice, dhull100.

Rick
I do not know much about a cars Rick .To me its a blue car or a silver blue car. My husband laughs at me .Sometimes I a see a really stunning car and I will try and see what it is. My husband of course is very different of course.Someimes he jokes about
buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini .(not possible) So we have always had fairly modest cars. We seldom use it although on a Saturdays we go somewhere out of our local vicinity.
Did you realise nobody even mentioned what Sauter would be equal to. I am not going to worry because I would have to check how good the car is............anyway I suppose its a fun thread ?

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by blueviewlaguna.
[...]
Apologize for the thread hijack wink

... or was that a carjack!

Cheers!

grin ha

Baldwin M

BMW M Roadster
Jeep Wrangler

I never apologize for a thread jack (because all the best threads get derailed)! wink

The OP and Lady Bird have both expressed feelings about this hijack. I’ll add myself to the request this not continue.

My jocular comment above notwithstanding, I don't see the who-owns-what query as being a hijack. The responses describe concrete real-world data that relate directly to the relationships that the OP wants to understand. The OP himself has contributed bits to this thread that are far more tangential (one he even characterizes himself as a "side comment").

When people apologize to me for taking one of my posts off-topic, I always say something to the effect of, "don't worry about it, because all the best threads get derailed" (and it's true). Hence my follow on to the pun above about carjacking. But, again, who owns what kind of pianos and cars is not a hijack IMO, because "piano-car comparisons" is the overarching topic, and who owns what types of both can certainly be considered a comparison.

A forum topic is analogous to a conversation. Conversations evolve. They ebb and flow, bob and weave, etc. I'm not gonna go review the forum rules, but I think one of the analogies used is of a community clubhouse where people meet to exchange views. Treating each other with respect is also mentioned, and being friendly. So far, dogperson, your contributions to this thread have not informed the piano-car relationship at all. Only attempts to police what some others post. "Enforcing" the topic is not on-topic, let alone friendly or respectful.

Let me add a request of my own: please leave moderating to the moderators. As always, you can report any post you don't like.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I was not the only one who made this REQUEST, But since you are directing your post to me alone I will reply. It was not an attempt to moderate the post. Otherwise, I would have reported it to a moderator. It was a request, which I will continue to do when I so consider it to be appropriate.

IMHO. I don’t consider the thread drift respectful.

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
My jocular comment above notwithstanding, I don't see the who-owns-what query as being a hijack. The responses describe concrete real-world data that relate directly to the relationships that the OP wants to understand. The OP himself has contributed bits to this thread that are far more tangential (one he even characterizes himself as a "side comment").

When people apologize to me for taking one of my posts off-topic, I always say something to the effect of, "don't worry about it, because all the best threads get derailed" (and it's true). Hence my follow on to the pun above about carjacking. But, again, who owns what kind of pianos and cars is not a hijack IMO, because "piano-car comparisons" is the overarching topic, and who owns what types of both can certainly be considered a comparison.

A forum topic is analogous to a conversation. Conversations evolve. They ebb and flow, bob and weave, etc. I'm not gonna go review the forum rules, but I think one of the analogies used is of a community clubhouse where people meet to exchange views. Treating each other with respect is also mentioned, and being friendly. So far, dogperson, your contributions to this thread have not informed the piano-car relationship at all. Only attempts to police what some others post. "Enforcing" the topic is not on-topic, let alone friendly or respectful.

Let me add a request of my own: please leave moderating to the moderators. As always, you can report any post you don't like.

Well said Retsacnal!

2021 August Förster 215
S
Soojin Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Oh mine, talk about thread drift worthy of a Tokyo drift. Now we are talking about Piano Forum moderation!!

I am sorry I was so serious in my reply to blueviewlaguna (and I am now being the ever apologizing Canadian :)). I fully understand that conversations evolve, respect people's freedom to say what they want on this open forum (and find everyone respectful so far), and that I, as the OP, don't "own" the thread.

What I intended to say, and should have stated more explicitly, was (1) to reinstate my original intent, which was to request for help for a quick *popularly understandable* car-piano comparison - one doesn't have to have driven or played the stuff to contribute; and, (2) to absolve myself of the impending drift into sharing ownerhip of cars and possibly other assets, which I still think has the potential of being perceived as showing off and alienating some members, without being all that relevant to the Piano Forum's main purpose. I, however, was not going to comment on people who would continue to share their car brands after that intervention (after all, not even my kids listen to me ;-)), but I still do intend to keep being my serious self and actually compile the comments in an Excel and report back with our collective car-piano comparison list later, when I get a chance.

(As a TMI background, I am internally still processing whether a grand piano is a luxury item or not - to me, to others, to society, and may share what I conclude, if/when appropriate, but that's for another thread and another day.)

@blueviewlaguna: Thanks for accepting my comment so graciously. You seem to know A LOT about fine cars AND pianos. I'd love to hear what you think of other brands, if you get a chance. BTW, I am super flattered that you compared my C2X to a Lexus GS350 F sport (which I had to look up), still within the larger Toyota family, as I understand. You bet I will be using that analogy with my friends to explain! Thank you.

@Sir Lurksalot: Thanks for resurrecting that older thread - will read and compile that thread's input, too, and report back.

@j&j: Thanks for the contribution. You are still full of life. I hope you and I get to try many more fine pianos and cars in our lives. smile

@Rickster: I appreciate your humour and lightheartedness. We need more of that in this strange time.

Thank you all. Please feel free to keep contributing your car-piano comparisons!

Last edited by Soojin; 08/16/20 04:04 PM.

Public servant by day, pianist and choir conductor by night
Yamaha C2X (2020) and Yamaha P120 (2019)
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
T Bell
Obviously you have never seen or played a Sauter or you are just actually trying so hard to be humorous !

To show a picture of an old rusty car on a Beach which clearly has seen better days is however unnecessarly offensive.
I see you do not say what piano you own , so perhaps its just envy or "sour grapes" or perhaps the condition your piano is in
and it resembles the the condition of that car.

Either way there is no reason for rudeness surely ? Actually I am beginning to see Richters point far more clearly now especially when someone does this kind of thing so deliberately.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/16/20 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Because someone has an unusual brand , and is quite active on the forum, actually talks quite passionately about that brand ,it is obvious they will be hurt when someone who is too timid to compare a number of brands except a few ,then posts
an ugly picture of a car and says "there's your brand"
I mean if you want to try to spit at me ,please try it in person !

Perhaps I should be as forward as Blueviewlaguna since we are talking brands and just say SAUTER - MERCEDES , PORSCHE, since we are just talking brands ! ( and since they are the same rating in Fine's Piano Buyer )

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/16/20 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I can’t tell if TBell was trying to be funny but I’m going to say it wasn’t very funny.

Why would anyone compare a piano, like Sauter, to an infamous car model that was known for (associated with) blowing up and killing its occupants upon being rear-ended? And furthermore, where the company decided not to recall those faulty cars because, based on calculations, it would cost less money to compensate victims’ families for the deaths than to recall the defective cars?

I think the comment was in poor taste.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 08/16/20 06:37 PM.

Kawai K500
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks WeakLeftHand so much for that and to others who have sent me messages of support as well. Actually I understand the brand is not well known or as popular on this forum as it used to be.
Perhaps if we all knew each other in real life and this was not all online we may respect each other a little more.

R
R
Different age groups and different cultural backgrounds have different ideas of what is respectful and what is not. TBell's post might have been a bad joke but I did get a slight chuckle out of it. Then again, to me, the Pinto is just an infamously bad car and an obviously poor comparison to make to any piano. Never figured the joke to be deep or thought out enough to imply anything about Sauter.

These type of forum environments are fun in part because it brings people from all different walks of life together on a single shared interest. But because of that, certainly there will be some friction and misunderstanding. Even in my short time here, there's already been posts that I could say felt like an unjustified "disrespectful" attacks on me, but that's par for the course in an online forum, especially one so diverse. Going back to the golden rule of the internet, just ignore comments that you find offensive. Don't feed the trolls, and don't get worked up over passing comments from faceless strangers.

Car vs Piano is a fun comparison and one I've tried many times in the past to do but I always gave up because it's too difficult for me to find common ground between the two. The target and pricing models of car brands is just too different than the piano market. Watches I can seen being an easier comparison. Bicycles and Motorcycles can match up relatively well too. But for me, automotive brands are too generalized and mass produced to really make any accurate feeling comparison to a workmanship focused artistic product like pianos.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by rkzhao
[...]Going back to the golden rule of the internet, just ignore comments that you find offensive. Don't feed the trolls, and don't get worked up over passing comments from faceless strangers.
[...]

Those wise enough to follow this dictum can surely benefit from it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
V
V
Sauter -> Porsche.

Sauter is an excellent piano built by a company which was started well before any of the car company known today. Since it is a German piano well built, durable and reliable, it can be matched with Porsche, not because of its status, but because Porsche is known to be more reliable than Mercedes or BMW. As a matter of fact Sauter can also be matched with Lexus because it is again a well built, good quality car which is very reliable when it is compared to Mercedes, BMW, Italian cars or American cars.

VuongMinh Duc
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission