2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Just noticed this:

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/news/must-visit-piano-shops-in-the-usa/

Fun that 3 of the 4 shops listed have active members on the forum. Have visited all and enjoyed my time there!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Nice article, I've been to Pianoforte. Surprised they didn't mention Pianoland, they always have a wide range of interesting used pianos they're selling and rebuilding.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
While it's been a while since I've been there, I am so glad to see Cunningham Piano ("... one of America's oldest and most respected ...") on the list of the four "Must Visit Piano Shops in the USA." Congratulations, Rich, and your team.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Nice to see Both Sam and Rich's shop on the list.

Congrats gentlemen.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
A
A
If only the nearest of these was closer than a 10 hour drive for me. 😕

T
T
Bummer, no West Coast shops!

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Congrats to PianoWorks, PianoForte and Cunningham! I was very happy to see this.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
Nice to see Both Sam and Rich's shop on the list.

Congrats gentlemen.

Congratulations as well! Nice job!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Friends:

The above shops are very worthy and well-chosen, but certainly not the Chicago concern. It's not within hailing distance of the other shops. However, James Reeder's shop in Lansing, Michigan, IS worthy to stand with the others.
Hope that the above is not too blunt but I could say more, more in praise of Rich, of Keith, and of Sam, and of Mr. Reeder. There is a big difference between a slick retailer charging top dollar and shops that CAN and DO support artists with painstaking work.
Of course, one could name a small number of truly superb boutique shops. One thinks of Ed McMorrow, of Peter Grey, of Dale Erwin, and the fabulous Jim Iallegio, all of whom have enviable reputations.
Neither of these lists is definitive but the above certainly represent the creme de la creme.

Not intended to incite violence, demonstrations, or crushing rejoinders.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY
(born in rural Michigan)

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I think we should keep in mind that the author of the article, Ellie Palmer, is not necessarily a "known quantity" nor do we know what her qualifications are nor how she did her research.
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Friends:

The above shops are very worthy and well-chosen, but certainly not the Chicago concern. It's not within hailing distance of the other shops. However, James Reeder's shop in Lansing, Michigan, IS worthy to stand with the others.
Hope that the above is not too blunt but I could say more, more in praise of Rich, of Keith, and of Sam, and of Mr. Reeder. There is a big difference between a slick retailer charging top dollar and shops that CAN and DO support artists with painstaking work.
Of course, one could name a small number of truly superb boutique shops. One thinks of Ed McMorrow, of Peter Grey, of Dale Erwin, and the fabulous Jim Iallegio, all of whom have enviable reputations.
Neither of these lists is definitive but the above certainly represent the creme de la creme.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY
(born in rural Michigan)

I think we should keep in mind that the author of the article, Ellie Palmer, is not necessarily a "known quantity" nor do we know how she did her research.

Her bio: on Pianist

I'm Ellie - Online Editor for Pianist! I graduated from Leeds College of Music before joining up with the Pianist team. I'm thrilled to be able to share my expertise with you and hopefully help you improve your playing. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me through my email above.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I think we should keep in mind that the author of the article, Ellie Palmer, is not necessarily a "known quantity" nor do we know what her qualifications are nor how she did her research.
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Friends:

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY
(born in rural Michigan)

I think we should keep in mind that the author of the article, Ellie Palmer, is not necessarily a "known quantity" nor do we know how she did her research.

Her bio: on Pianist

I'm Ellie - Online Editor for Pianist! I graduated from Leeds College of Music before joining up with the Pianist team. I'm thrilled to be able to share my expertise with you and hopefully help you improve your playing. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact me through my email above.

Regards,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Karl. I haven't been to any of these shops, but I was surprised not to see some others, maybe only because I have my own list of destination shops I'd like to visit. Beethoven Pianos comes to mind, but it may be changing since Carl Demler passed... As with the other shops you mentioned, we all have our own critieria for visiting. For example, I'd be probably more interested in stomping around in Beethoven's warehouse than the showroom! smile Same as I'd probably choose Cunningham's factory over their showroom! (and nothing wrong with showrooms, of course). I have relatives in Lansing, so I'll have to add Reeder's shop to my list for next time I'm up that way.

But yeah, "criteria." Without specifying why these are "must see," it's sort of meaningless (not that I disagree with the choices...three are on my own list). Highlighting the four this way tacitly suggests that others are not worth seeing! For example, is there nothing on the west coast worth seeing?

My gut feeling, and as BruceD sort of hints, I suspect that these are just 4 places the author enjoyed visiting. Clearly, she's on the mark with some of her picks, but perhaps in totality it's a little misleading.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Funny aside...

I almost checked PianoCraft off the other day. As I posted elsewhere, I need caster cups for my project console. When I was waiting for my Baldwin M to be delivered years ago, I just bought some cups at a nearby shop, but the other day I almost leapt into my car and bolted across town to PianoCraft. I've been wanting to go, and also remembered they carry the new Baldwins.

Then it occurred to me that they're by appointment, iirc, certainly in this Covid-19 season. And yeah, "covid" in general. sick I think that's fueling my cabin fever. The other reality check was that it's 45 minutes each way (not including traffic and construction, of which there's a surprisingly large amount these days).

So, I did the "sensible" thing and ordered some online.

btw, it also occurred to me that PianoCraft may not sell something as mundane as caster cups, but I guess I just wanted an excuse to go. To get out of the house. Normalcy... sigh.

Anyway, one of these days.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Funny aside...

I almost checked PianoCraft off the other day. As I posted elsewhere, I need caster cups for my project console. When I was waiting for my Baldwin M to be delivered years ago, I just bought some cups at a nearby shop, but the other day I almost leapt into my car and bolted across town to PianoCraft. I've been wanting to go, and also remembered they carry the new Baldwins.

Then it occurred to me that they're by appointment, iirc, certainly in this Covid-19 season. And yeah, "covid" in general. sick I think that's fueling my cabin fever. The other reality check was that it's 45 minutes each way (not including traffic and construction, of which there's a surprisingly large amount these days).

So, I did the "sensible" thing and ordered some online.

btw, it also occurred to me that PianoCraft may not sell something as mundane as caster cups, but I guess I just wanted an excuse to go. To get out of the house. Normalcy... sigh.

Anyway, one of these days.

Please feel free to make an appointment or call me with any piano needs you may have or just to talk pianos. Yes, we have always been by appointment and are quite strict now with covid but we are also very accommodating and it would be great to have you visit.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Retsacnal - You've never been to PianoCraft?
You've got to be kidding, it's so close!
(I mean, you have to deal with Keith, but the pianos are pretty darned nice)

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I was at PianoCraft with SiFi for a piano recital and met Keith! thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
It is nice to see shops that do serious rebuilding listed.

Larry Fines publications never seem to give innovative rebuilders any coverage any more. Perhaps because we don't advertise?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Please feel free to make an appointment or call me with any piano needs you may have or just to talk pianos. Yes, we have always been by appointment and are quite strict now with covid but we are also very accommodating and it would be great to have you visit.

Wait.... is this true? I have been trying to make an appointment with Keith for YEARS but he will never set one up for me. Next time I will try telling him I need caster cups. Maybe THAT will do it. thumb 😂😀

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Keith.

I actually missed a couple opportunities to visit in the last year or so. One was the concert Tyrone mentioned. I don’t recall why, but if it was on a Tuesday or Thursday evening, then I was teaching the last two semesters. The other was a DC PTG meeting hosted at your shop. I think those are usually Monday’s, but I only go if the tech session sounds interesting. They seem to alternate between the Yamaha and Steinway dealers. In this case I wanted to go specifically because it was at Pianocraft, but again there was some conflict. Probably a staff meeting or research seminar. It’s a pretty long slog over, especially at rush hour, so I tend to drive over mid afternoon and find a coffee shop or somewhere to work until the meeting time. If I can’t get away at a reasonable time, I don’t go.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Yeah, crazy I know. I don’t know why, but until recently I thought his place was closer to Baltimore, but it’s definitely in suburban DC. Still, it’s a long haul. 45 minutes if traffic is light (which is rare). It’s usually closer to 90, and that’s just one way. frown

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Wait.... is this true? I have been trying to make an appointment with Keith for YEARS but he will never set one up for me. Next time I will try telling him I need caster cups. Maybe THAT will do it. thumb 😂😀

Caster cups are important! Weight capacity and dispersal; plastic, wood or glass; color; sound dampening properties; color; etc. They really merit a sub forum of their own, if not an entire website.

www.castercupworld.com thumb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission