2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
44 members (36251, EPW, CLM Piano Learner, EVC2017, cmb13, bounced, ElaineAllegro, Craig Richards, 12 invisible), 429 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Roland FP-30 WAV volume vs keyboard volume
#3014003 08/14/20 10:57 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello, all! I recently surprised my wife, who is a REAL piano player (I'm just a hack), with a Roland FP-30 digital piano, as a gift. She seems really thrilled with it. We have an old, nothing-special acoustic piano (my wife says it's not a particularly nice piano, but it's something to play at least) at what used to be our home, but now we've move to what used to be our vacation home, which doesn't really have a good place for a full-size piano. Hence, the digital piano purchase.

My wife is not a particularly "techie" type, so she is mostly just setting the piano in grand-piano-3 mode, and playing songs. Ever so often I show her some feature of the piano that I think might interest her (I'm an electrical engineer, the "techie" type). So, last night I converted an MP3 file I had ripped from a CD years ago (remember CDs?) to WAV format, put it on a USB drive, put it in the back of the FP-3, and played the WAV song, attempting to play along with the song on the keyboard. What I found was the the WAV file from the ripped CD was playing at an insanely louder volume than the keyboard volume, such that even when I banged the keyboard as hard as I could I could just barely hear the keyboard over the WAV file.

I looked through the user manual to see if I could find a way to adjust the keyboard volume with regard to the WAV file volume, and found nothing. I tinkered around with the keyboard, trying to find a way to make the keyboard louder with respect to the WAV file (or the WAV file softer with respect to the keyboard), and was unsuccessful in my quest.

Does anyone out there know if there is a way with the FP-30 to adjust the volume level of the FP-30 keyboard with respect to the WAV file volume, or am I going to always need to pull any WAV file into Audacity to dampen its volume significantly before using it with the FP-30? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Roland FP-30
Re: Roland FP-30 WAV volume vs keyboard volume
Richard Bruer #3014021 08/15/20 12:31 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Try [FUNCTION key] C5 / D5. I think that's the Song Playback Balance. (C#5 might be the reset)

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Groove On #3014306 08/15/20 05:01 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Groove On
Try [FUNCTION key] C5 / D5. I think that's the Song Playback Balance. (C#5 might be the reset)

I figured it out. Searched for "balance" in the user manual PDF, and found "Mix Balance" in the section about playing back internal songs, but it also works for playing of songs from the USB drive. You hold down the Play/Stop button, then C5 / D5. C5 turns down the song volume with respect to the keyboard, and D5 turns the song volume up with respect to the keyboard. Holding Play/Stop and pressing C#5 resets the mix to default.

Roland FP-30
Richard Bruer #3014434 08/16/20 04:15 AM
O
O
Originally Posted by Richard Bruer

I figured it out. Searched for "balance" in the user manual PDF, and found "Mix Balance" in the section about playing back internal songs, but it also works for playing of songs from the USB drive. You hold down the Play/Stop button, then C5 / D5. C5 turns down the song volume with respect to the keyboard, and D5 turns the song volume up with respect to the keyboard. Holding Play/Stop and pressing C#5 resets the mix to default.

It's been a while since I used the PianoPartner2 app, however I believe that many functions are on there and it's far easier to access them using a visual interface. Something to try when she's not hogging the new piano? 😆

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
Richard Bruer #3014468 08/16/20 08:02 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Richard Bruer

You "figured it out" ?????

Does
Groove On
get any credit ?

wink

Last edited by dmd; 08/16/20 08:03 AM.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Mackie MIX 5 Compact Mixer.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Favorite mass?
by chopinetto - 09/23/20 06:51 PM
Dilemma-help
by Cutec - 09/23/20 05:35 PM
Vose & Sons Serial Number(s)
by piperbill - 09/23/20 05:03 PM
Buying first piano - Kawai 506n
by hmm2135 - 09/23/20 03:45 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,783
Posts3,006,179
Members98,650
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission