2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
55 members (EBerlioz, Brian Hagen, David B, CyberGene, ee375, bobrunyan, ando, AlphaBravoCharlie, 12 invisible), 485 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Novus NV-10 problems
#3013829 08/14/20 01:59 PM
N
OP Offline
N
I just took a delivery of a Novus NV-10 purchase from a dealer in San Antonio, TX. I had high hopes for the instrument but it was a big disappointment. The instrument was transported from the dealer assembled without the boxes. There was no user manual or any documentation or accessories. Headphone hook is missing. The instrument has collected dust especially in corners and areas hard to clean which made me think it is likely a display or a used unit. There was no plastic covering on Kawai logo, and the plastic cover on the touch screen was clearly reattached. The sustain pedal is unrealistically heavy. Firmware version 1.0.2. The bench I received is different from what you see in picutures from other users and somehow they forgot a remote control for a PianoDisc plus inside it. To make things worse, there is annoying buzzing sound coming out of one of the top speakers when notes from the middle of the keyboard are played

The dealer denies this is a used unit and claim they assemble all pianos before transport to make sure nothing is broken. Also when I played the buzzing sound on the phone he said he can not hear anything wrong but offered to transfer me to the technical support department.

What do you think I should do next? Is it normal to ship a new instrument in this condition? Is there a way to find out when was the instrument made from the serial number? What do you think about the buzzing sound?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Novus NV-10 problems
nice2care #3013832 08/14/20 02:05 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I hear a big buzzing by the end in your video. Not normal. The pedal is a factory issue but is easily adjustable by the dealer on warranty with a new or modified spring -- I got used to mine.

What did the dealer have to say about all your concerns, missing manual, headphone hook, dust, discarded remote, etc? Not acceptable.

Personally I insisted that my Novus be shipped to me in the boxes and assembled onsite... and it was.

Can you ask for an exchange? Document. Please get Kawai involved ASAP.

nice2care #3013835 08/14/20 02:08 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you paid with a credit card you can open a dispute with the merchant. Given your description of the situation I think I would do that, or perhaps give the merchant another chance and tell them you intend to dispute the charge if they don't resolve your complaint.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
nice2care #3013839 08/14/20 02:15 PM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Once assembled and outside the packaging, these black polished things get dust as magnets. It’s just unbearable and I can never dust off mine so that when I finish one side and start the other one the first one stays clean... Black polish is a nasty finish so they may be right it was brand new and assembled before shipped.

As to the buzzing, I believe that was fixed in a firmware update. Make sure you’re on the latest.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
CyberGene #3013993 08/14/20 10:24 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Once assembled and outside the packaging, these black polished things get dust as magnets. It’s just unbearable and I can never dust off mine so that when I finish one side and start the other one the first one stays clean... Black polish is a nasty finish so they may be right it was brand new and assembled before shipped.

As to the buzzing, I believe that was fixed in a firmware update. Make sure you’re on the latest.

Yep, ain't that the truth.

Also, the policy at my dealership was to assemble at the store for function testing and then deliver the assembled unit. However, I opted to pick mine up at the dealers (still in the factory boxes) and assemble it at home myself. I did this to save money on delivery and because I'm OCD and wanted to make sure the 16 or so screws required for assembly has just the right amount of torque. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Completed
Duane Shinn Praise and Gospel Course; In Progress
Duane Shinn Pro Secrets Course; On Hold
nice2care #3014009 08/14/20 11:20 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello nice2care,

I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your NV10.

Please allow me to respond to some of the points that you have raised:

Originally Posted by nice2care
I just took a delivery of a Novus NV-10 purchase from a dealer in San Antonio, TX.

May I ask where you are based? Is this your local dealer?

The instrument was transported from the dealer assembled without the boxes.

Did the dealer inform you that this would be the case prior to purchasing the instrument?

There was no user manual or any documentation or accessories. Headphone hook is missing.

This is not acceptable. Even if the instrument arrives pre-assembled, this items should definitely be included. You should request that the dealer send these items to you.

The sustain pedal is unrealistically heavy.

The damper pedal weight was changed on later production units. Unless this is an older instrument, I believe all new models use the lighter damper pedal weight.

Firmware version 1.0.2.

The version shown at the bottom of the System menu will be v1.0.2 - this is the touchpanel software version.
However, there is also a system firmware version that can be displayed by pressing and holding the centre+right pedals simultaneously, then turning on the power. The latest firmware version is currently v1.0.2k. If your instrument is not using this version, I would recommend updating the system firmware (the touchscreen update can be skipped), available from the Kawai Global website.

The bench I received is different from what you see in picutures from other users

The official bench for NV10/NV5 models sold in the US is the WB-161EP, visible here. NV models (indeed, Kawai pianos generally) sold in Europe do not include a bench, therefore the dealer will often provide an alternative bench. May I ask which bench you received, and which bench you were expecting?

and somehow they forgot a remote control for a PianoDisc plus inside it.

Where was this? Inside the NV10? The NV10 does not feature any PianoDisc functionality, so there should be no reason to include a remote control with the instrument.

To make things worse, there is annoying buzzing sound coming out of one of the top speakers when notes from the middle of the keyboard are played

As CyberGene notes, the speaker buzz issue was fixed with a firmware update a while ago (maybe v1.0.2f, if my memory serves me correctly?) - please check that you're using the latest version, and if not, update.

What do you think I should do next? Is it normal to ship a new instrument in this condition? Is there a way to find out when was the instrument made from the serial number?

If you are not satisfied with the support provided by the dealer, my recommendation would be to seek assistance from Kawai America directly.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
nice2care #3014030 08/15/20 01:39 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Nice to see that you are looking into this James.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T
nice2care #3014136 08/15/20 07:53 AM
F
F
It's really sad to hear that, I would definitely request a replacement unit.

Learux #3014176 08/15/20 10:44 AM
He's not looking into this at all.
Originally Posted by Learux
Nice to see that you are looking into this James.
He's offering advice on what the owner should do.

nice2care #3014215 08/15/20 12:02 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I've got your back on this one. Based on your description and photos, I do not believe you received a new, out-of-box unit that only unpacked and assembled just for delivery.

I've had the experience of both fully-delivered and in-box home-assembed NV-10s, and neither was in the condition you showed. I can't speak to the plastic film (though both of mine were in better shape on the LCD and had the film over the Kawai fallboard logo). But the dust! Especially in the back at the music rest prop, that is about a year's worth of accumulation! No way it's just out is the box. Well, if you had it shipped cross country in the back of a moving truck over 2 weeks, maybe? But they should have it covered for that kind of move. Kawai's packing is meticulous, each piece is pristine and individually packed/covered/taped with styrene sheets. It doesn't arrive dusty with wipe marks in hard to find areas.

As to the seat, that doesn't look like the one that came with mine. Mine looks like the one KJ posted, is polished ebony finish like the piano and is padded. Here it is in front of the Andexinger I use now:
[Linked Image]

Note it's a smallish (normal?) bench, about 22" wide, and non-adjustable. My Andexinger is 30" wide. Is yours padded? Is it new? Maybe what you got is actually better than the Kawai one? But it's not the one that has shipped with the NV-10 for the last couple of years. Btw, the fact that the wrong bench was sent also supports the idea that the piano was an in-store demo unit. If they built it a year ago and didn't need the bench, it could be lost somewhere in the back of their shop. Most shops only have a couple of benches on the floor that they just moved from piano to piano as the customer tries different ones.

I would echo what others say about the buzzing, make sure you are on the latest firmware. The pedal is what it is, but can be regulated like a regular acoustic so imo that's not a big deal.

If you can get the buzzing fixed, would you be satisfied with the NV-10 as is? I think you are entitled to get what was represented, but if everything else is ok, you might try getting a discount from the dealer (return some money, plus maybe send you the right bench if you care) to save everyone the hassle of a return and re-delivery. Up to you, but IMHO you are fully justified in taking some action if you desire, assuming the dealer did tell you this was a brand new in-box unit.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Kawai James #3014262 08/15/20 02:26 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello nice2care,

I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your NV10.

Hey James. Thank you for your reply

May I ask where you are based? Is this your local dealer?

I am in south Texas. Alamo music is the nearest Kawai dealer that sells NV-10. Still 4 hours drive away from me. I bought the instrument on the phone and paid with a credit card.

Did the dealer inform you that this would be the case prior to purchasing the instrument?

No he did not, and I really stressed on the phone that I want a new instrument in the original box. This has happened to me before so I made it clear that I will not take a display or a used unit.

This is not acceptable. Even if the instrument arrives pre-assembled, this items should definitely be included. You should request that the dealer send these items to you.

It is clearly not a new instrument. The assembly screws are loose, and there is dust and debris in areas hard to clean

The damper pedal weight was changed on later production units. Unless this is an older instrument, I believe all new models use the lighter damper pedal weight.

It is probably one of the older models. Is it possible to find out from the serial number?

The version shown at the bottom of the System menu will be v1.0.2 - this is the touchpanel software version.
However, there is also a system firmware version that can be displayed by pressing and holding the centre+right pedals simultaneously, then turning on the power. The latest firmware version is currently v1.0.2k. If your instrument is not using this version, I would recommend updating the system firmware (the touchscreen update can be skipped), available from the Kawai Global website.

The firmware version was v1.0.2f. I updated it to v1.0.2k.

The official bench for NV10/NV5 models sold in the US is the WB-161EP, visible here. NV models (indeed, Kawai pianos generally) sold in Europe do not include a bench, therefore the dealer will often provide an alternative bench. May I ask which bench you received, and which bench you were expecting?

The bench they send me is different (you can see it in one of the pictures above). I don't care much about the bench but I don't want a used instrument.

Where was this? Inside the NV10? The NV10 does not feature any PianoDisc functionality, so there should be no reason to include a remote control with the instrument.

It was inside the bench. One more reason to think this is a display unit

As CyberGene notes, the speaker buzz issue was fixed with a firmware update a while ago (maybe v1.0.2f, if my memory serves me correctly?) - please check that you're using the latest version, and if not, update.

I updated the firmware and can't hear the buzz now.

If you are not satisfied with the support provided by the dealer, my recommendation would be to seek assistance from Kawai America directly.

I am really not happy with instrument. I will call him again on Monday and request a replacement or a refund.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you James. This was really helpful.

Gombessa #3014269 08/15/20 02:43 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I've got your back on this one. Based on your description and photos, I do not believe you received a new, out-of-box unit that only unpacked and assembled just for delivery.
I've had the experience of both fully-delivered and in-box home-assembed NV-10s, and neither was in the condition you showed. I can't speak to the plastic film (though both of mine were in better shape on the LCD and had the film over the Kawai fallboard logo). But the dust! Especially in the back at the music rest prop, that is about a year's worth of accumulation! No way it's just out is the box. Well, if you had it shipped cross country in the back of a moving truck over 2 weeks, maybe? But they should have it covered for that kind of move. Kawai's packing is meticulous, each piece is pristine and individually packed/covered/taped with styrene sheets. It doesn't arrive dusty with wipe marks in hard to find areas.

Thank you Gombessa for backing me up on this. The instrument I received does not look new at all. I have a 3 years old LX-17 and it looks newer than Novus I received.

As to the seat, that doesn't look like the one that came with mine. Mine looks like the one KJ posted, is polished ebony finish like the piano and is padded. Here it is in front of the Andexinger I use now:

Note it's a smallish (normal?) bench, about 22" wide, and non-adjustable. My Andexinger is 30" wide. Is yours padded? Is it new? Maybe what you got is actually better than the Kawai one? But it's not the one that has shipped with the NV-10 for the last couple of years. Btw, the fact that the wrong bench was sent also supports the idea that the piano was an in-store demo unit. If they built it a year ago and didn't need the bench, it could be lost somewhere in the back of their shop. Most shops only have a couple of benches on the floor that they just moved from piano to piano as the customer tries different ones.

My bench is not padded and there is a lot of scratches on the top surface. Also I found a PianoDisc plus remote control inside it.

I would echo what others say about the buzzing, make sure you are on the latest firmware. The pedal is what it is, but can be regulated like a regular acoustic so imo that's not a big deal.

If you can get the buzzing fixed, would you be satisfied with the NV-10 as is? I think you are entitled to get what was represented, but if everything else is ok, you might try getting a discount from the dealer (return some money, plus maybe send you the right bench if you care) to save everyone the hassle of a return and re-delivery. Up to you, but IMHO you are fully justified in taking some action if you desire, assuming the dealer did tell you this was a brand new in-box unit.

I was pretty sure one of the speakers is defective, but the firmware update seems to fix the buzz issue. Still I am not happy with the instrument. I will call the dealer again on Monday to see if I can get a replacement.

nice2care #3014276 08/15/20 03:02 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
nice2care, I think you've done everything by the book, and given all the photos and what Gombessa wrote -- I agree, you essentially got a used unit.

Please get Kawai America involved as quickly as possible.

navindra #3014353 08/15/20 07:21 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by navindra
nice2care, I think you've done everything by the book, and given all the photos and what Gombessa wrote -- I agree, you essentially got a used unit.

Please get Kawai America involved as quickly as possible.

Thank you navindra. That will be my next move if the dealer is not going to help me.

Buzz again
nice2care #3014641 08/16/20 05:58 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Today I had some time to play on the (new) piano. I immediately heard the Buzzing sound again. It is much less after the firmware update but still easily identifiable. As before it is coming from the same top speaker and it is more noticeable with certain notes. It is hard to capture the buzz sound with my phone but if you hear carefully with earphone you will be able to hear it. I don't think this is a firmware or any software issue. It is a problem with the speaker itself.

Re: Buzz again
nice2care #3014647 08/16/20 06:05 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Try pressing down on different spots on the top board, including the speaker grille, while you play the note? I think someone had previously noticed that their buzzing was due to vibration from the speaker? If that's the case, I assume there's a way to adjust or tighten the part a bit.

Gombessa #3014657 08/16/20 06:23 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Try pressing down on different spots on the top board, including the speaker grille, while you play the note? I think someone had previously noticed that their buzzing was due to vibration from the speaker? If that's the case, I assume there's a way to adjust or tighten the part a bit.

This is weired. The buzz sound gets worse when pushing on certain areas of the top board. It is still only with certain notes. If I pull on the top board it will get better but does not disapear. Gombessa do you hear low hum frequency from NV-10 speakers when you increase to volume of the piano?

nice2care #3014666 08/16/20 06:46 PM
T
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Try checking the separate Line-in Volume knob and turn it counterclock wise. Sometimes it's producing a humming sound if the line-in volume is turned up without a connection.

Last edited by Tyr; 08/16/20 06:48 PM.

Kawai Novus NV5 // Yamaha P-115 on Garritan CFX | Pianoteq Standard | Minigrand | VI Labs Modern U
Ex: Yamaha: NU1X, CLP-685, CLP-545, YDP-164, YDP-140 | Kawai: NV10, CA-98 | Roland: FP-30
nice2care #3014683 08/16/20 07:52 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Whether you need to push or pull doesn't really matter I think, it's indicative that part of the bus you hear has to do with vibration in the chassis; presumably you can tighten it up and eliminate the vibration (maybe with some padding or felt between the top and front boards). I recall someone found out that this was the cause of their buzzing back when it was first being discussed.

As to hum, I only hear idle hum at max volume if I put my ear up a few cm away from the speaker cones (or subwoofer). At normal sitting distance I don't hear anything.

As Tyr mentions, you may want to check the line-in knob on the bottom panel, and also the db gain settings in the settings screen.

nice2care #3014692 08/16/20 08:15 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I experienced a buzz, vibration. It sounded like it came from the left speaker. Actually it was caused by the small clock I kept on the piano! Then later, I had an odd sort of tinny rattle noise. It occurred even when the piano was turned off. If I played the keys. I called Kawai service and they found a screw had come loose.

I advise you contact Kawai service (or your dealer who will call them). It is likely an easy fix and nothing to be concerned about.

Kawai NV10
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practice schedule
by Pilotryan - 09/18/20 09:34 AM
Pedal curve?
by MacMacMac - 09/18/20 05:59 AM
achieveable "bucket list" pieces
by Lingyis - 09/18/20 04:05 AM
What are these chords
by ManishP - 09/18/20 03:39 AM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,691
Posts3,004,131
Members98,581
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission