2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (chasingrainbows, Back Room Studio, 36251, AZNpiano, ando, adamjh, 10 invisible), 413 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Time for new stage piano?
#3013747 08/14/20 09:41 AM
T
OP Offline
T
When is it time to consider replacing a stage piano? I know the average lifetime of a computer is about 5 years before it's time to consider upgrading it. I am aware that technology is constantly improving. I currently have a Roland RD 700nx and am considering upgrading to a Kawai MP11SE. Will I experience a significant benefits from upgrading?

Re: Time for new stage piano?
Ted Pettis #3013873 08/14/20 03:44 PM
D
D
Hi Ted,

I'm sure you'll be receiving more advices than you'll know what to do with, but let me start by asking a couple simple questions:

Are you unhappy with your current keyboard?
If yes, what are unhappy about? The action? The piano sound? Other sounds? The speakers? The lack of certain features? Portability? Simplicity?... Once you've narrowed everything down, you'll know what you need to look for, if anything at all.

What type of music do you play most of the time? Do you gig with this keyboard? Do you play a lot of non-piano sounds...

I've bought (and sold) 8 different digital pianos in the past 15 years because I kept searching for the "perfect" action. I have a MP11se now that I use for pianos & digital pianos only. I use other keyboards for organ, synth... and a Casio PX-560 for gigging. If you play mostly piano, want a good action, and don't mind external speakers, the weight, a stand... the MP11se is a great choice.

If you're enjoying your current keyboard, there's no need to buy something else. If your current keyboard lacks something that is keeping you from playing, practicing, improving... figure out what "it" is so you'll know what to look for.

Ted Pettis #3013891 08/14/20 04:30 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I'm not totally satisfied with the piano sounds on the Roland RD 700nx. The G above middle C occasionally sounds tiny. I watched a Youtube video of the Roland RD 2000 where the reviewer experienced a similar issue. The action is OK but the MP11SE action sounds like a major improvement. I play mostly classical but am also interested in Ragtime and other music. I have some Adam speakers that I recently bought that I am very happy with. I don't gig or plan to gig. I like the stage piano because of being able to practice with headphones.

At this time a stage piano is the most convenient option for me. I considered Nord but concluded that the action may not be as good as the Kawai. I also considered the CP88 and thought the sounds might be a little brighter than I would find pleasing and the CP88 doesn't have a 3 pedal unit.

It would be interested to know if the consensus of readers would feel that the action and piano samples in the available stage pianos today have improved to a point where I would be happy with the upgrade from my RD 700nx. I regularly upgrade my MacBook Pro computer laptop at least every 5 years because that technology is improving at such a fast rate.

I do plan to keep the Roland RD 700nx as a practice instrument in another room of our house.

Ted Pettis #3014039 08/15/20 02:10 AM
D
D
Have you had a chance to play the MP11SE? It may check all the boxes for you!

I bought mine after trying out countless Yamaha and Kawai digitals/hybrid. I liked the NV10 the best but since I'm still considering buying a Kawai 7' acoustic grand in the next couple years, the NV10 doesn't make sense. The MP11SE is cheap enough that I would just keep it in another room (or next to the grand).

You should be able to pick one up for under $2500, including tax and shipping.

Ted Pettis #3014164 08/15/20 10:13 AM
P
P
I own an MP11, the older version, for use in my home studio. Best in class keybed. Used mostly for exercising the fingers and driving VSTs.

But, although it is named a ‘stage piano’ the weight of the unit really makes this an impossible keyboard for gigging.

Ted Pettis #3014304 08/15/20 04:53 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ted Pettis
When is it time to consider replacing a stage piano? I know the average lifetime of a computer is about 5 years before it's time to consider upgrading it. I am aware that technology is constantly improving. I currently have a Roland RD 700nx and am considering upgrading to a Kawai MP11SE. Will I experience a significant benefits from upgrading?

Depends.

What do you use the RD700NX for?
How much functionality do you use?

I would not advise buying without first trying.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Ted Pettis #3014720 08/16/20 10:31 PM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
MP11 and SE both have soft key bottom that some people dislike, so it's really necessary to try it out before buying.

I don't think here will be a consensus that SE blows out 700NX. 700NX is still a good keyboard. They are quite different. You may like SE better, because it is more geared towards classical music.

Ted Pettis #3014988 08/17/20 08:57 PM
Online Content
I recommend that you focus on action first and sound second since sound can always be modified, and in fact well and easily modified by hooking up the keyboard to a laptop and using any decent VST. My own experience is that with a VST, your sound possibilities are endless and the quality (again in my own experience) has been better than any inner sound of the digital pianos that I've tried, including several Rolands, Casios and a Kawai.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
Doug M. #3015003 08/17/20 10:24 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Doug M.
What do you use the RD700NX for?
How much functionality do you use?

I would not advise buying without first trying.

+1. An upgrade is always fun, and the MP11SE is a quite a nice piano-centric stage piano. But the question isn't a matter of time, it's what's you're looking for in an upgrade (what do you want to be better? What does your current stage piano not do or have that you'd like to improve?).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Ted Pettis #3015126 08/18/20 10:22 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments!! When I got the Roland 700nx I was fascinated by the many sound combinations. Now at this point I am more interested in being more piano-centric.

The issue at the current moment is that the MP11SE isn't easily accessible to either try out locally or buy. One major online seller informed me that he expected a shipment in September. So I have time to weigh options.

Ted Pettis #3015133 08/18/20 10:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ted Pettis
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments!! When I got the Roland 700nx I was fascinated by the many sound combinations. Now at this point I am more interested in being more piano-centric.

The issue at the current moment is that the MP11SE isn't easily accessible to either try out locally or buy. One major online seller informed me that he expected a shipment in September. So I have time to weigh options.

Hi Ted,

Whilst the MP11SE is less common in stores, you can always try out the piano action and sound by plugging headphones into a model of the same era with the same action.
Looking at it, the best bet is to try the CA67. It has the Grand Feel II action but same sound. Whilst the action is subtlety different from the Grand Feel 1 action, you'll get the idea.
Also, you might want to try the CA99 and get an idea of how the Grand Feel action has evolved (GFIII).

I suggest you test these against the following models:

Kawai MP7SE / ES8
Roland RD2000
Yamaha P515

All of these have great actions and it would help you get a feel for the relative differences, as well as allow you to find out which fit's your current motivations best.
Be interesting for you to also try the NV5, NV10 and Avant Grand N1X, N3X, so you can feel how good the Hybrids are.

I don't know whether you've tried the Casio GP510, but that's also worth playing just to get a full scope of some of the best digital actions.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Last edited by Doug M.; 08/18/20 10:42 AM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Favorite mass?
by chopinetto - 09/23/20 06:51 PM
Dilemma-help
by Cutec - 09/23/20 05:35 PM
Vose & Sons Serial Number(s)
by piperbill - 09/23/20 05:03 PM
Buying first piano - Kawai 506n
by hmm2135 - 09/23/20 03:45 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,783
Posts3,006,179
Members98,650
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission