2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
73 members (AaronSF, 36251, achoo42, astrotoy, adrian4444, AJB, accordeur, anamnesis, 22 invisible), 783 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
I'm 19 and I'm in the market for a new piano. I have an old Chinese baby grand piano that I have used for a while now and I really want to get something better. My tuner did a fantastic job over the years really making it sound the best it can sound–-with voicing and everything, but at this point it is a rather broken instrument with a lot of faults. I'm also interested in maybe recording my piano playing and I just need a better sound and overall experience. I have had a great deal offered to me where I can buy a factory new yamaha u3 for a very nice price (probably because of the pandemic). It is a very established dealer so no it's not a scam. I have played it twice now on two separate occasions and I fear that it might be a little bright. The dealer said he got some voicing done with it, which helped a little but I'm wondering if there is more a tuner can do to get rid of that brightness? I've always had a weird preference for not-bright pianos so I think my judgement maybe a little extreme. Maybe I'm overthinking this? Maybe it would be good to have a brighter piano in the house to get accustomed to? What do you guys think of the idea of a new yamaha u3? Worthy investment? Are all u3s bright? What's your experience with them?

Any thoughts are super helpful right now!

Upright pianos are better to be bright . Due to the limited string length and soundboard structure , it can only be bright(good) vs dull(bad) .

O
OP Offline
O
Oh okay thanks! That's interesting. Never thought that way!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by selfishplayer
Upright pianos are better to be bright . Due to the limited string length and soundboard structure , it can only be bright(good) vs dull(bad) .
I can't agree at all. A tall vertical can have as long strings or soundboard size as a medium grand, and it's not true that all medium grands are bright or dull.

Bottom line: Buying a vertical is definitely not a choice between bright vs. "dull".

I think the OP should see if the dealer is willing to voice the piano beyond what was already done to make it mellower.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 08/11/20 01:36 PM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
The Yamaha upright tend to be bright in general, though some of that can be arranged by voicing. But if you dont like bright piano, then you should buy one that sounds like what you like. It is not because you found a good deal for a piano that you dont like that you should buy it ! The only one i really like is the su118 which sound richer with more harmonics.

Blüthner model 6
I
I
Yes, generally Yamaha is made to be brighter. A good tech can make it sing the way you like most likely. I have a http://www.fandrich.com and love the tone.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
What's the budget??

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
We advised on the Piano Forum but no replies back from Osco.......so...

Online Content
Originally Posted by Sidokar
It is not because you found a good deal for a piano that you don't like that you should buy it !
This is very important. No matter how good the deal or well respected the maker, if you don't like the tone it's not really a good deal.

O
OP Offline
O
Yes! Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'll keep thinking about it. I talked to my tuner and he reassured a lot can be done with voicing the instrument. It is difficult to accurately judge this U3 I think as it is only a couple months old (made in March 2020). With good attention to the instrument's tuning and voicing needs it might be worth it smile

R
R
Originally Posted by OscoBosco
I have had a great deal offered to me where I can buy a factory new yamaha u3 for a very nice price (probably because of the pandemic).

How sure are you that this is actually a great deal?

Realize that depending on your local market, any new piano, including Yamahas can be gotten for significantly below MSRP. Don't get caught up in the dealer's sales pitch about how amazing the deal is. Do your own research and visit other dealers and brands to see if similar deals are available.

The U3 is a great piano. So it can certainly a good choice, but if you don't like the tone, maybe a different piano or different brand could be the way to go. Don't make a purchase purely because it seems like a good deal.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Yes! Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'll keep thinking about it. I talked to my tuner and he reassured a lot can be done with voicing the instrument. It is difficult to accurately judge this U3 I think as it is only a couple months old (made in March 2020). With good attention to the instrument's tuning and voicing needs it might be worth it smile

Pianos get brighter the more they are played. Do you want to be continually voicing your piano
in an attempt to get a sound you like? Wouldn’t be my vote.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]I talked to my tuner and he reassured a lot can be done with voicing the instrument. It is difficult to accurately judge this U3 I think as it is only a couple months old (made in March 2020). With good attention to the instrument's tuning and voicing needs it might be worth it smile

However good your tuner may be and whatever grain of truth there may be in what he has said to you, I would suggest that saying "a lot" can be done with voicing might be giving you false expectations. Yes, voicing can alter somewhat the brightness of the tone, but voicing will not change the essential tonal characteristic of a piano. Moreover, if brightness is what concerns you, as dogperson points out, pianos get brighter with use. So, if this piano is too bright in its current state and if voicing will help initially, it will move towards brightness again as you play it and it will have to be voiced on a regular basis. That can become expensive and can shorten the life-span of the hammers.

A very basic rule of thumb in buying a piano is: Buy the piano you love for what it is, not the piano that you hope it will become.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,159
Posts3,193,204
Members105,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission