2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
39 members (DSC, floknot, Digitalguy, 36251, Animisha, Ercmnrln, clothearednincompo, Andrew_G, Anglagard44, 8 invisible), 364 guests, and 355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lessons with Mark Harrison
#3013233 08/12/20 09:16 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was interested in taking lessons with Mark Harrison to start working towards my goal of playing pop. It seems like he is very experienced in teaching and pop also sounds like he primarily teaches adults. Would it still be beneficial to continue lessons with my traditional classical teacher? I learn a lot from her and enjoy the lessons. Or do you think it's better to have one teacher and just work your primary goals?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Lessons with Mark Harrison
Sebs #3013298 08/13/20 03:34 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Sebs

IMHO you need to have one primary goal, and one teacher. Whichever you choose, you can still practise the other discipline for fun.

The amount of practise time required, and the cost, make 2 teachers out of the question for most people.

But you may have a lot of time and be a millionaire!

Cheers

Simon
Yamaha CLP535, Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yanagisawa AW10 (alto Sax)

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

Simon_b #3013334 08/13/20 07:21 AM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Hi Sebs

IMHO you need to have one primary goal, and one teacher. Whichever you choose, you can still practise the other discipline for fun.

The amount of practise time required, and the cost, make 2 teachers out of the question for most people.

But you may have a lot of time and be a millionaire!

Cheers

I was leaning towards this. Reason being I really want to get god at pop and have no desire to learn classical so don't see the point to keep putting times and money into an area I'm not enjoying. Playing pop has always been my primary goal and I definitely put in the time and energy to the point where I believe I should have a dedicated teacher in the area I want to study.

Sebs #3013404 08/13/20 11:18 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Hi Sebs,

I’ve read a couple of your threads and I can tell you really want to learn pop. If you have no desire to play classical, I’d say that you should quit your classical teacher and go learn with someone like Mark Harrison.

Classical is a very good foundation but it’s difficult to concentrate on both genres. If I were you, I’d concentrate on pop.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
WeakLeftHand #3013465 08/13/20 03:22 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Hi Sebs,

I’ve read a couple of your threads and I can tell you really want to learn pop. If you have no desire to play classical, I’d say that you should quit your classical teacher and go learn with someone like Mark Harrison.

Classical is a very good foundation but it’s difficult to concentrate on both genres. If I were you, I’d concentrate on pop.

Thanks for the advice and support. I was thinking similarly as I'd probably get more out of it and work even harder focusing on my goals. I learned a ton with her and developed a lot. I imagine this a common to switch over after getting a solid foundation. I love classical I just have no desire to learn to play it except maybe an occasional basic piece.

Last edited by Sebs; 08/13/20 03:22 PM.
Sebs #3016681 08/22/20 02:03 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think it would be so cool to have lessons with Mark Harrison! Does he teach online?

To your question, OP, from reading some of your comments (tho not all) in the other thread and this one, I would say you need to get a new teacher who's more in line with your goals. Learning classical piano is not good preparation for playing pop music. It is good preparation for being a well-rounded pianist, but it will take a very long time to get to the point where you can add pop into your playing unless you are specifically working on a curriculum that preps you for pop.

Having said that, if you had enough money and were careful about how you structured your time, you could have two teachers and work on classical and pop curricula simultaneously. But you would have to treat it like two separate subjects, and (for ex.) practice on your classical stuff for an hour/day, and on your pop stuff for an hour/day.

Most people don't have the money or the self-discipline to do that (that sounds like a criticism, I don't mean it as such...)

Anyway, if you start taking lessons with Mark Harrison, do let us know!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sebs #3016685 08/22/20 02:09 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I super curious about how much Mark Harrison charges for a 30/45 minute lesson....

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sebs #3016686 08/22/20 02:19 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I think it would be so cool to have lessons with Mark Harrison! Does he teach online?

!!
mark@harrisonmusic.com

(818) 887-8870

https://www.harrisonmusic.com/store/c23/Online_Private_Lessons.html

ShiroKuro #3017993 08/26/20 03:34 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S

To your question, OP, from reading some of your comments (tho not all) in the other thread and this one, I would say you need to get a new teacher who's more in line with your goals. Learning classical piano is not good preparation for playing pop music. It is good preparation for being a well-rounded pianist, but it will take a very long time to get to the point where you can add pop into your playing unless you are specifically working on a curriculum that preps you for pop.

Having said that, if you had enough money and were careful about how you structured your time, you could have two teachers and work on classical and pop curricula simultaneously. But you would have to treat it like two separate subjects, and (for ex.) practice on your classical stuff for an hour/day, and on your pop stuff for an hour/day.

Most people don't have the money or the self-discipline to do that (that sounds like a criticism, I don't mean it as such...)

Anyway, if you start taking lessons with Mark Harrison, do let us know!!

Yes, he does teach online. Thanks for the advice and I did switch teachers and have dropped the classical teacher and have had a few lessons with Mark. So far they're going great. I do find classical work very enjoyable just not aligned with my ambitions or goals. I'd like to spend some time with classical to continue to develop technique but even for that I would not have continued with my other teacher as she spent WAY TOO much time on things. I know it takes time, I'm patient but 8 weeks on a minuet, etc. it was way too long, and she always said don't worry about time... but we only have so much time to learn what we want. I don't want years to pass and be like I did some minuets, some czerny, and technique...

I super curious about how much Mark Harrison charges for a 30/45 minute lesson....

I'm sure rates vary depending on how many lessons, duration, etc. but roughly $85/hour which I think is a fair rate for seasoned credible teacher. My other classical teacher was $80/hour.

Sebs #3018252 08/27/20 09:53 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Sebs
... she spent WAY TOO much time on things. I know it takes time, I'm patient but 8 weeks on a minuet, etc. it was way too long, and she always said don't worry about time...

It is very possible/probable that now that you have "jumped ship" that 10 years from now you will be saying … "I should have listened 10 years ago".

It has been my observation that those that stay with a teacher and just keep pluggin' along … end up with the strongest set of piano skills and can play the most beautiful music.

Good teachers help you build a solid foundation of basic piano skills ...,. slowly but solidly.... so adding more high level skills down the road is doable.

This takes slow and steady progress and reinforcement of those basic skills.

10 years ago, I did not know that.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Mackie MIX 5 Compact Mixer.
dmd #3018303 08/27/20 12:08 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by dmd
... she spent WAY TOO much time on things. I know it takes time, I'm patient but 8 weeks on a minuet, etc. it was way too long, and she always said don't worry about time...

It is very possible/probable that now that you have "jumped ship" that 10 years from now you will be saying … "I should have listened 10 years ago".

It has been my observation that those that stay with a teacher and just keep pluggin' along … end up with the strongest set of piano skills and can play the most beautiful music.

Good teachers help you build a solid foundation of basic piano skills ...,. slowly but solidly.... so adding more high level skills down the road is doable.

This takes slow and steady progress and reinforcement of those basic skills.

10 years ago, I did not know that.

I understand that it takes times but there needs to be a balance. I believe there is a point of diminished return in the work at hand. I could only take playing assigned pieces where I had 0 interest in for so long. Being an adult learner I don’t think the same approach always works where I feel most teachers just use the same stuff for kids, adults, etc.

Yes I could look back and say ‘I should have...’ but may also look back and say ‘I’m so glad I switched...’ I actually put a lot of thought and time in the decision so I’m confident in it and I can always change again if I need to.

Sebs #3018399 08/27/20 04:44 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
dmd, if someone is with a teacher who doesn't teach them what they want to play, there's no point in staying with that teacher. And, not all teachers are created equal, some teachers are not particularly effective. Plus it's not like Sebs is "jumping ship" to go learn by themselves using synthesia piano videos on YouTube...

Sebs, thanks for the details, that lesson does seem reasonable (given the teacher!)

After you've had a few more lessons, please share you reflections again!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 08/27/20 04:45 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3018505 08/27/20 10:28 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
dmd, if someone is with a teacher who doesn't teach them what they want to play, there's no point in staying with that teacher. And, not all teachers are created equal, some teachers are not particularly effective. Plus it's not like Sebs is "jumping ship" to go learn by themselves using synthesia piano videos on YouTube...

Sebs, thanks for the details, that lesson does seem reasonable (given the teacher!)

Will do! I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. Already I feel great about it but need a handful more to have a better opinion and once I do I'll definitely let you know. Thanks for the support and feedback.

Sebs #3018616 08/28/20 11:42 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
If you don’t try, you won’t know. Go ahead with positivity!

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
ShiroKuro #3020689 09/02/20 07:52 PM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S

I finished up my first month of lessons with Mark. I'm really enjoying it and we're working on voice leading, inversions, and a few other things and it's much more challenging than it looks, like most, actually all things with piano. I'm pleased I did move from classical teacher to a pop teacher because it sure is much different already. While I'm sure my classical teacher was good I was too comfortable as we did the exact same technique exercises, Such as work on these 10 things in this key and play them for me that would go for months and months then we would do new key for months and months. So I'm excited to be outside of my comfort zone. I look forward to seeing where it takes me and thankful for the support here too.

Sebs #3021131 09/04/20 08:47 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sebs, that's awesome!!

So can you explain what one of your practice sessions (not lessons) looks like now? What do you work on in any one session?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3021146 09/04/20 09:47 AM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sebs, that's awesome!!

So can you explain what one of your practice sessions (not lessons) looks like now? What do you work on in any one session?

Of course! This might be long winded.

From Pop Piano Book: (roughly 30-45 min)
Scale contour exercises. To get the shape of the scales down you just play all 8 notes together. I work on this in chromatically up and down and in other variations.

Major and minor inversions in root, first, second around circle of fifths. The goal here is learning the shapes too. Such as, first inversion use RH pinky as guide drop it on C, then F, etc. and just work to retain the shape and not search for the other two notes.

From Piano Fitness Book:(roughly 30 min)
A few voice leading exercises. Hands alone and hands together, etc.

All exercises above from his books I also use metronome once I get it down a bit. That way we can measure and work in time and see improvement. i.e I was doing 60bpm now I can 63, etc. Doesnt matter how slow/fast it's just to make you look ahead and work in given time.

Sight Reading/technique (roughly 30-45min)
I also work on sight reading which I have been doing on my own before lessons with him and he said to just keep at it as it's going to be useful for our work. I use two books, "Sight Reading and Harmony" and "Super Sight Reading Secrets". I also use Piano Marvel SASR pretty often to see how I'm progressing. Then a variety of other technique, scales, chromatic scales, arpeggios, etc.

I have pieces on hold at the moment until get a better pop foundation as soon enough we'll work on music from lead sheets which I'm excited to do. If you have any questions or want to discuss in more detail I'm happy to. Do you play pop? Are you thinking about lessons with him or using his book?

Sebs #3021160 09/04/20 10:35 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
Sebs ,what exercises do you get to develop a sense of rhythm (and reading it)?

Nahum #3021166 09/04/20 10:55 AM
S
Sebs Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Nahum
Sebs ,what exercises do you get to develop a sense of rhythm (and reading it)?
Previously I was doing a fair amount of counting out loud with various scores and using 'dummy' notes. This was something I was just doing on my own as my previous teacher never assigned any rhythm only specific work. However, with my current teacher I imagine we'll have plenty rhythm work coming up soon. If you have any you suggest please feel free to share.

Sebs #3021188 09/04/20 11:41 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
N
. If you have any you suggest please feel free to share.
Instead of being divide tune's rhythm in a one-and-two-and-three-and ..., it is better to divide the melodic rhythm on rhythmic patterns, and then verbalize them using rhythmic languages: Scat, Konnakol, Takidimi.

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...xercises-with-metronome.html#Post3002034

Pronunciation of the funk rhythm pattern.
https://yadi.sk/d/Ydm1rB2p7KCQfQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland Integra 7 , kc600
by dss862 - 09/19/20 04:31 AM
Is Casio PX-S1000 a right choice for me
by lehinsun - 09/19/20 12:02 AM
2 week layoff...
by AmyKaye - 09/18/20 08:53 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,702
Posts3,004,442
Members98,592
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission