In the thread "N3X 2.0 Wish List" I mentioned that I've read an interview script of the Yamaha AvantGrand project lead. Just found the link here
. This one
is also quite interesting.
1. The original designer and project lead of the first-generation AvantGrand is a lady Hiroko Ohmura, who turns out to be an executive member at Yamaha now.
2. The R&D process started in 2007 and lasted about 2 years. It was a combined effort between Yamaha's digital division and acoustic piano division. Ohmura brought these two departments together and held hundreds of meetings.
3. The CFIIIS sample in the first-generation AvantGrand was a sample dedicated to AvantGrands. Yamaha utilized piano robots instead of their Disklaiver to sample the CFIIIS in a soundproof lab.
4. The word "hybrid piano" first came out since the debut of the AvantGrand. Now it also includes Disklavier, Silent Piano and Transacoustic.
5. Yamaha had 10 Japanese and foreign pianists monitor the AvantGrand and they gave feedbacks to Yamaha.
6. It seemed like the distribution of digital pianos and acoustic pianos from Yamaha were separated before the introduction of AvantGrand.