2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (accordeur, 36251, Abdol, Alfred La Fleur, butchkoch, Beansparrow, Bob Roberts, adamcz, 19 invisible), 1,116 guests, and 380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Very few software pianos can be recorded in their standalone players. You can't record in Kontakt either, and that's a lot of virtual libraries.

You can record as audio in Garritan CFX, and audio and MIDI in Pianoteq 6, which is actually one of Pianoteq's biggest strengths, so big I almost forget how it sounds, when I think of it. cool

It's not fair comparing software pianos to physical digital pianos, when it comes to recording features. Digital pianos are designed to be standalone instruments, with everything a pianist needs for practising and recording.

On the other hand, virtual instruments are geared towards those who seek better piano sound, and for studio work, and those who are into that, all use DAWs anyway, and all sorts of high end equipment.

Although performances can be recorded in Garritan CFX, I have never used that feature. It's too limited in my opinion, for example there's no metronome. What's wrong with using a DAW?

Thanks for this info. It seems I’ve been spoiled by the readily available recording capabilities of the pianos I’ve used to date.

I may have to venture into the world of DAWs. I struggle with such technologies. It seems I must be several generations behind. Even when a digital technology vendor tries its best to give me the layman’s, watered down, tech for dummies explanations, the simplest terms employed are tech terms that I also don’t understand. It’s like I got dropped in the Urals, needing assistance from the locals for everything. We have no common language, so, we can’t communicate.

I need “DAWS for the dumbest of dummies.”

Are there simple DAWS?

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Are there simple DAWS?
You can try Cantabile if you are Windows guy. This is not a DAW, but a VST host.
Very easy and has everything you may need as virtual piano player.
Free version can't record audio and MIDI though, but Solo is not that expensive, and there is 30-day money back guarantee.
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/compare

Another option is free Cakewalk - it is full blown DAW for Windows, but it has much longer learning curve.

Last edited by VladK; 08/10/20 09:32 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Update.... I could no longer take it, I purchased Modern U... credit card... came right down, no problems. You have to log into iLok to activate it. No issues.

Wow, they did a great job on this piano. I already started tweaking it.... amazing set of controls. The biggest negative for me was I thought the weight was a bit light in the lower registers. I get it, it is an upright. But I just bumped up the bass a tad. Nice.

The other issue for me was the pedal noise was a little too prominent so I turned that down a bit.

But overall, this is a great sounding and playing piano. Full disclosure, the only VSTs I own are VILabs.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thinking of grabbing Ravenscroft with the sale. How does ILOK work? Do I need to purchase a dongle from somewhere?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
I need “DAWS for the dumbest of dummies.”

Are there simple DAWS?

I purchased Ableton. Many years ago I used Cakewalk. In short, they are not all that easy to deal with. There is a whole way of thinking about recording tracks (audio and MIDI) and such, and I am not sure you can short cut it too much.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 20/20 Vision
Thinking of grabbing Ravenscroft with the sale. How does ILOK work? Do I need to purchase a dongle from somewhere?

No dongle.... I can't remember the exact procedure, but you need to set up an iLok account. It is free. I believe the licensing is paid for via your Ravenscroft fee. When you purchase a VI Labs piano, you have to log on to your iLok account and activate it. Again I don't remember the details but somehow your VI Labs account is linked to the iLok account. It is pretty simple, but you need to manage two different account IDs and passwords. Then you iLok grants you license to use your piano on three different computers.... I have no idea how it tracks but it does, so work the accounts on the PC you will connect to the piano.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08/10/20 10:46 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You would need to provide your iLok id to VI Labs during the purchase, it will be also stored in your VI account if you bought directly from them. VI Labs will store your purchased license in iLok database mapped to your iLok ID.
You also have to install iLok License Manager (software), and login there with the same iLok ID. License Manager will show all your available licenses, and let you activate any of those - it will link the license to either iLok dongle (USB key), or to your computer, whatever you choose. I prefer dongle.

Last edited by VladK; 08/11/20 12:34 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Have any of you had need to, or success at increasing the sustain of your VI Labs piano. My German Grand has extremely short sustain above the middle of the keyboard. Audible sustain in the mid to upper octaves is about 5 seconds max with very rapid decay. Playing anything slow imposes an irresistable urge to hurry to the next note just to overcome the silence. Slow melodies are next to impossible.

Last edited by Ralphiano; 08/11/20 01:22 AM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
That is very much how the German grand is. You can add some reverb and that helps a bit, but it isn’t the same.

Mostly I find that the German grand is lovely for specific pieces but as you say anything slow is not what it is good for.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
The German Grand is just not acceptable. I’m going to see about exchanging it for a different VI Labs piano that actually behaves like a piano.

The sound of NY Steinways is pleasing to me. Can any of you share your experience with the VI Labs American Steinway?

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ralphiano, sorry for a late reply, but regarding simple DAWs, I don't think Reaper falls into that category, but it's free to try for 60 days, and actually keeps working after that, without restrictions.

There are lots and lots of instruction videos on YouTube about Reaper, explaining everything from simple to advanced stuff.

Things like recording as MIDI, rendering as MIDI, and getting a digital piano to work inside Reaper, along with finding all the virtual instruments you use, are not that hard.

The hardest part about the last thing, or the part where many fail, is registering all the folder paths for VSTis in the settings. For those who own a lot of VSTis, they can be spread into many different folders.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, generally, a DAW use needs the following steps :

- audio and MIDI settings, (once for all)
- VST settings (define the different paths, and ask for a rescan), (Once for all)
- create an instrument track with a VST
- press record
- press stop
- File/export or render to MP3.

That’s it. (Ok, we can go further !!) Different DAWs have different names (Cubase likes to name “VST anything” even items which doesn’t deal with VST instruments), but you have a rough step list which applies to all DAWs.

You can on some DAW save your empty track in a template which can render easier to ask it later.

The Reaper videos are quite nice to have a good view of this program. It has also a PDF document. Then why not try it ?

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/11/20 04:54 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

No dongle.... I can't remember the exact procedure, but you need to set up an iLok account. It is free. I believe the licensing is paid for via your Ravenscroft fee. When you purchase a VI Labs piano, you have to log on to your iLok account and activate it. Again I don't remember the details but somehow your VI Labs account is linked to the iLok account. It is pretty simple, but you need to manage two different account IDs and passwords. Then you iLok grants you license to use your piano on three different computers.... I have no idea how it tracks but it does, so work the accounts on the PC you will connect to the piano.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Thanks, Bruce.

Originally Posted by VladK
You would need to provide your iLok id to VI Labs during the purchase, it will be also stored in your VI account if you bought directly from them. VI Labs will store your purchased license in iLok database mapped to your iLok ID.
You also have to install iLok License Manager (software), and login there with the same iLok ID. License Manager will show all your available licenses, and let you activate any of those - it will link the license to either iLok dongle (USB key), or to your computer, whatever you choose. I prefer dongle.

Thanks, Vlad. If I choose to use a dongle, is there a specific one I need to purchase? or would any usb key work?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
With Ilok, there are two ways :

A web site of your product (here VILabs) ask you your Ilok login and register directly your product. Afterward, the Ilock manager see the available licence and can associate it with your PC.

From the iLock manage, you click on the ... button. It will ask you a serial number code, you enter It, and then you can associate it with your PC.

You have to apply what is communicated to you (in an email).

USB dongles are quite specific. You need an iLok key if you want to put your licence on it (not a flash drive, nor a eLicensor which is the equivalent for Cubase or VSL products). I prefer this way, then if my PC is out of order, I can easily shift my licence from one PC to an other.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 08/11/20 06:50 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Thanks, Vlad. If I choose to use a dongle, is there a specific one I need to purchase? or would any usb key work?

You need PACE Anti-Piracy iLok3 3rd-Generation USB Software Authorization Key.
2nd generation is also fine, but it is less reliable.

Vlad,
Adult beginner
i think the modern u is a good vst, but for me it is the only vst i have problems with.

all works fine, no cpu or latency problems.

but the sound is far away form what i would expect.

i think the problem is the velocity curve, but i can‘t find the right balance.

in all youtube videos the sound is bright and clear.

Last edited by klausi6; 08/14/20 07:47 AM.

RD 2000 , VSL BI,Garritan,Noire,Modern U , Grandeur , Bechstein Digital, Addictive Keys, Pianoteq , Ravenscroft, Ivory 2 ACD etc.
monitors: iLoud MTM headphones: AKG702,DT990 pro,Sure215 etc.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by klausi6
i think the modern u is a good vst, but for me it is the only vst i have problems with.

all works fine, no cpu or latency problems.

but the sound is far away form what i would expect.

i think the problem is the velocity curve, but i can‘t find the right balance.

in all youtube videos the sound is bright and clear.

Interesting..... I agree. Now that I am playing Modern U more, I find myself banging a bit harder on the keys than the Ravenscroft... to get it to pop....and I want the same feel. I still love the Modern U... but I guess I have such a soft touch, that I want the machine to be more expressive... kind of multiply my force for me. The Ravenscroft does this perfectly. The good news is the piano is so configurable, I am sure I will get it to where I want it to be.

So here is the rub.... we are all different.... so it is hard to trash or praise these things... a reader has to consider carefully. So, while some may say the piano should be perfect out of the box... yea, OK, but we humans are not perfect out of the box either. Configurability is good and Modern U has this in spades.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08/14/20 09:19 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, you do not expect a regular 130cm upright to be as loud as 275 cm concert grand, right? So yes, you need to hit keys harder for authenticity wink
Or play dirty by amplifying more...

Vlad,
Adult beginner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, you do not expect a regular 130cm upright to be as loud as 275 cm concert grand, right? So yes, you need to hit keys harder for authenticity wink
Or play dirty by amplifying more...

Good point... I am OK with that. My stated goal is pure authenticity... then, I strive to make something I like. I don't see a contradiction here.

Did you ever walk into someone's home, someone who is proud of their decoration talents, only to run to the toilet and barf? Did you notice everyone here has an opinion... fine but I would also like to see their living rooms.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08/14/20 10:25 AM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning and strong emotions...
by CianistAndPomposer - 09/16/21 06:21 PM
Gift Piano from Elton John?
by JohnSprung - 09/16/21 04:54 PM
Kawai ES520 user's own thread
by 36251 - 09/16/21 04:11 PM
For those who love Martha Argerich...
by AaronSF - 09/16/21 03:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,142
Posts3,132,721
Members102,747
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission