2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
63 members (AaronSF, chopinetto, accordeur, CharlesXX, Chemblue, bwv872, astrotoy, 3x4rt, 13 invisible), 475 guests, and 435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 76 of 81 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 80 81
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel?
Sarah65 #3012592 08/11/20 09:36 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
For those who don't know yet, there is also a "Piano Marvel Users group" on Facebook. PM employees, for example Josh Mills, Heidi Garner and Suzette Moyer, also visit them occasionally. For technical problems it is still best to send an email to support, but it is nice to hear those people's vision.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PianoMarvelUsers/

Piano Marvel level 4C and everything I like smile
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Sarah65 #3012812 08/11/20 07:01 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I miss the group, but given all the shenanigans going on with Facebook, I deleted my account. The PM users group was probably the only thing worth being on Facebook for, but it wasn't enough to get me to stay.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Sarah65 #3013510 08/13/20 04:19 PM
J
J
Question on sight reading:

I just started Piano Marvel 2 weeks ago and I've been taking the SASR daily but my numbers haven't improved (I'm a beginner struggling to hit 200).
I've put in plenty of hours and finished all lessons up to 2A within 2 weeks. But here's the thing: when I go back to 1C, 1D, 1E it takes me 3 or 4 attempts to get a 100% score on most of those exercises. So obviously I'm not that good at it. But the problem is that if I keep doing the 1C-1E exercises I have it memorized (just like some of the SASR tests), and thus it's not really helping me with my sight reading (and my SASR scores). Any idea how to improve this using Piano Marvel tools/exercises?

JM77 #3013516 08/13/20 04:51 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JM77

I just started Piano Marvel 2 weeks ago and I've been taking the SASR daily but my numbers haven't improved (I'm a beginner struggling to hit 200).
I've put in plenty of hours and finished all lessons up to 2A within 2 weeks. But here's the thing: when I go back to 1C, 1D, 1E it takes me 3 or 4 attempts to get a 100% score on most of those exercises. So obviously I'm not that good at it. But the problem is that if I keep doing the 1C-1E exercises I have it memorized (just like some of the SASR tests), and thus it's not really helping me with my sight reading (and my SASR scores). Any idea how to improve this using Piano Marvel tools/exercises?

The problem is that you just started piano about two months ago, so you should not expect yourself to be able to sightread quickly or with a high degree of accuracy. If you are human, like the rest of us, you are still learning where a note on the staff is played on the piano. This just takes time to engrain and can’t be rushed.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #3013524 08/13/20 05:00 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by dogperson
The problem is that you just started piano about two months ago, so you should not expect yourself to be able to sightread quickly or with a high degree of accuracy. If you are human, like the rest of us, you are still learning where a note on the staff is played on the piano. This just takes time to engrain and can’t be rushed.

Thanks for the candid feedback. In terms of efficient practice, is it okay to keep repeating the same exercises over and over again (1C-2A)? Or is it important that I try out new material?

Also, do you think it's a problem to take the SASR too often since I may start (involuntarily) memorizing the tests and may artificially start getting higher scores?

JM77 #3013531 08/13/20 05:16 PM
Maybe try looking at some level appropriate bootcamps or other library selections for some more variety in your practice. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. Enjoy the process.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

JM77 #3013533 08/13/20 05:19 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the candid feedback. In terms of efficient practice, is it okay to keep repeating the same exercises over and over again (1C-2A)? Or is it important that I try out new material?

Also, do you think it's a problem to take the SASR too often since I may start (involuntarily) memorizing the tests and may artificially start getting higher scores?

Please quit focusing on the scores! If you practice these so much that you find yourself memorizing, use different music. Gidget’s reply is spot on!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

dogperson #3013542 08/13/20 05:41 PM
S
S

Please quit focusing on the scores! If you practice these so much that you find yourself memorizing, use different music. Gidget’s reply is spot on!

You will always eventually learn/memorize a bunch in SASR but the good thing is there's so many pieces at all levels that it'll still have plenty that are true sight reading testing. For example, as you progress you may see a 1D pieces for first time and get 80%+ so you'll have plenty to still "test" you on your skills and see improvement. I have done a few long streaks where I take it 1-4x daily for a week or more as I like to practice sight reading with it versus picking random scores. I don't think there is any harm in taking it as much as you want just make sure you don't use all your practice time on it as you still want to develop other areas. But if you're enjoying it keep at it and I agree @dogperson the score is great for long term measurement but don't stress and think "I must hist 250 today". Also what the SASR doesn't do is teach sight reading methods you might want to look at some sight reading books those could be a fun addition and it'll teach you to get very familiar with the staff and notes too.

Sarah65 #3013546 08/13/20 05:53 PM
J
J
Thanks Gidget, Dogperson and Sebs. You are right - I'm just so consumed by PianoMarvel and I'm also getting obsessed with this SASR metric. I need to just focus on the Method and Techniques and enjoy the journey.

Sarah65 #3013559 08/13/20 06:32 PM
T
T
I treat the SASR test purely as a test of my sight reading.
In six months, I think I’ve done it about 4 times.
I’ll only do one if I feel that my sight reading has improved from doing other exercises and even though it’s a bonus if my score has increased, it’s more important that I feel an improvement inside.
Personally I think that my music reading is okay for my level but I feel that I will get very little benefit from spending vast amounts of time improving it unless my other playing abilities also improve exponentially.
There's no point in me being able to read music quickly if I am simply unable to physically play it. I’d rather spend the time practising playing.
I feel that with every new piece my reading improves a little and right now, that’s good enough for me and hopefully it will continue to improve but at this moment, sight reading is low on my priority list.

When I start a new piece in piano marvel it probably takes 20 minutes before the fact that I’m not a great sight reader is no longer holding me back but it still takes another 3 days for my other abilities to improve enough for me to be able to play it.

treefrog #3013569 08/13/20 07:12 PM
S
S
Thanks Gidget, Dogperson and Sebs. You are right - I'm just so consumed by PianoMarvel and I'm also getting obsessed with this SASR metric. I need to just focus on the Method and Techniques and enjoy the journey.

Originally Posted by treefrog
but at this moment, sight reading is low on my priority list.

I think that's very common with piano marvel and nothing wrong with it. I'm all for whatever keeps you motivated and playing. While @treefrog says Sight Reading is low on their list right now, for me, it's been my main focus for the last month. When I get hooked on something and am loving it I will soak it up as much as I can because who knows if I will still be that motivated with that topic. I still practice other stuff it just ebbs and flows what I practice the most. I think one day I did SASR for a good 30+ min and some might say that's waste but it's what I was feeling at the moment so just kept at it. I also am working with Super Sight Reading Secrets and Sight Reading and Harmony and am really enjoying those books too.

JM77 #3013680 08/14/20 04:59 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Try this. You can find it in the library. "Piano Marvel Sight-Reading" (try to get 100%) There you will find all SASR exercises arranged by level. A little more variation than always repeating the method. And whatever you do, you always learn. Have a little patience, I got stuck at 200/300 for over 1 year. And also try to start in "intermediate" in the SASR test, as soon as you are in level 3 method, your score will increase well. Good luck smile

Sarah65 #3013712 08/14/20 06:50 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65

Try this. You can find it in the library. "Piano Marvel Sight-Reading" (try to get 100%) There you will find all SASR exercises arranged by level. A little more variation than always repeating the method. And whatever you do, you always learn. Have a little patience, I got stuck at 200/300 for over 1 year. And also try to start in "intermediate" in the SASR test, as soon as you are in level 3 method, your score will increase well. Good luck smile

Sarah
Do you realize he has been playing the piano about two months?

dogperson #3013732 08/14/20 08:04 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sarah65
[quote=JM77]Question on sight reading:
Sarah
Do you realize he has been playing the piano about two months?

Yes I did, it starts at level 1 also available as bootcamp, its fun to do. And intermediate SASR can be done once you are at the end of level 3. Your score already starts at 200 ... nice lead smile

Sarah65 #3013936 08/14/20 06:13 PM
J
J
Just getting started on 2B and running into a fundamental issue with the "D position":

So far (1A-2A) it was all about the C position. I had my eyes glued to the iPad (NEVER looking at the keyboard) and thus I've wired my brain that the RH thumb is C, forefinger is D, middle finger is E and so on. And that's how I got all the way to 2A. And now I'm being introduced to the D position which completely tosses all these finger associations out of the window.

I guess now I'm supposed to teach my brain that when I'm in D position the RH forefinger is supposed to be E, middle finger is F and so on? Is that the right way to learn this? Or am I missing something and is there a different approach to learning this?

JM77 #3013941 08/14/20 06:33 PM
S
S
Just getting started on 2B and running into a fundamental issue with the "D position":

So far (1A-2A) it was all about the C position. I had my eyes glued to the iPad (NEVER looking at the keyboard) and thus I've wired my brain that the RH thumb is C, forefinger is D, middle finger is E and so on. And that's how I got all the way to 2A. And now I'm being introduced to the D position which completely tosses all these finger associations out of the window.

I guess now I'm supposed to teach my brain that when I'm in D position the RH forefinger is supposed to be E, middle finger is F and so on? Is that the right way to learn this? Or am I missing something and is there a different approach to learning this?

You'll get used to knowing what position you're in, this is a normal part for the process, especially when so much is in C position to start with. Another approach is learning/seeing interval relationships. Such as, you know your RH finger 1 is on D and you need play F think of playing a third instead of a certain finger.

Sarah65 #3013946 08/14/20 06:45 PM
J
J
Thanks Sebs. So I guess there's nothing wrong in teaching my brain that when I'm in D position the RH forefinger is supposed to be E, middle finger is F and so on? Is that the way it's supposed to be done (besides the interval trick that you mentioned)?

JM77 #3013961 08/14/20 07:20 PM
S
S
Thanks Sebs. So I guess there's nothing wrong in teaching my brain that when I'm in D position the RH forefinger is supposed to be E, middle finger is F and so on? Is that the way it's supposed to be done (besides the interval trick that you mentioned)?

I would think of them as numbers and it'll help when you see a finger marking "2" you'll quickly think forefinger on whatever note has a "2" on it. As you'll notice scores often have suggested fingerings as numbers above/below notes, doesnt mean you must use that finger but for starting out you'll usually want to follow them.

JM77 #3014134 08/15/20 06:46 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Be sure to read the PDF at the top of each level and watch the video if there are any ... then a lot is clearly explained. Just a reminder, many start enthusiastically in method and technique and forget this. wink

Sarah65 #3014365 08/15/20 06:59 PM
_
_
Is it very confusing/frustrating that all the minor scales are in their harmonic form when you are learning them in the Tecniques?

And then you go to practice a song in that key from the library and it's in the natural form. What a bunch of mental gymnastics to jump through. Normally it come up when trying to learn a song in a minor or major key that i haven't learned yet, but I know it's relative Major/Minor. Then there is the extra work to convert them over.

Page 76 of 81 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 80 81

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Recording device - Recommendations
by Kinimod - 11/24/20 02:52 PM
Your opinions on my digital mixer setup
by Abdol - 11/24/20 02:37 PM
Thumb under for bluesy tunes
by AntonAnton - 11/24/20 12:45 PM
To Hanon or not to Hanon
by ZanderChicago - 11/24/20 12:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,022
Posts3,026,755
Members99,360
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission