2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Do Hanon exercises apply? Are there better more suited exercises for adult learners?

Last edited by onaiplatigid; 08/11/20 01:35 AM.

Yamaha P-515
Kawai K-300
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Personally, I would prever Czerny's opus 599.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Schmitt preparatory exercises are similar to Hanon but much more exhaustive if you have the patience:
http://petrucci.mus.auth.gr/imglnks...57600-Schmitt-_Preparatory_Exercises.pdf

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've done Hanon (only the first twenty) and they are beneficial.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
If you decide to do exercises, the time per day should be limited with the majority of your time spent actually playing music. In addition, all instructions ‘to lift your fingers high’ are Considered outdated and can lead to injury

I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
After many years of experimentation I now understand that the best exercises are the simplest ones. Probably because they develop micro-motions which are used in large range of more complex movements.

This was my first exercise IIRC when I was a kid and I think it's excellent to start with. I play it sometimes now, too.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2753522/re-best-exercises.html#Post2753522

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
In addition, all instructions ‘to lift your fingers high’ are Considered outdated and can lead to injury
I am with you dogperson, but there are still teachers teaching this...

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by dogperson
In addition, all instructions ‘to lift your fingers high’ are Considered outdated and can lead to injury
I am with you dogperson, but there are still teachers teaching this...
In fact it's an excellent exercise, but it must be done properly. The fingers must not be raised and lowered as little hammers, curled, but instead a fairly relaxed, fairly straightened finger must be raised from the "knuckle" joint (MCP joint) and then lowered from the knuckle, too, using mainly the intrinsic hand muscles.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
In fact it's an excellent exercise, but it must be done properly. The fingers must not be raised and lowered as little hammers, curled, but instead a fairly relaxed, fairly straightened finger must be raised from the "knuckle" joint (MCP joint) and then lowered from the knuckle, too, using mainly the intrinsic hand muscles.

Like this?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you're going to do exercises like these, be sure to transpose them too all major and minor keys, same fingerings. You get improved tactile awareness of the keyboard from doing that as well as keeping your mind more engaged.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I

Like this?

Almost. For some reason she lifts not only the finger that is going to play next but other fingers, too. It's not correct. Only the finger that is going to play next must be lifted and other fingers must remain relaxed at that moment (except for 4th finger that always needs a little help from his neighbours).

Last edited by Iaroslav Vasiliev; 08/12/20 02:59 AM.
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
So, I’m not clear on this. It isn’t something my teacher has not ever suggested, she pretty much says to play what’s on the page.

If it’s CDEFGAB, and you’re transposing to G, do you start on G and play GABCDEF#? or do you still start on C but play the F#, so it’s CDEF#GAB?

This is a skill I need to acquire.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If transposing to G then start on G and play GABCDEF#.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MH1963
If it’s CDEFGAB, and you’re transposing to G, do you start on G and play GABCDEF#? or do you still start on C but play the F#, so it’s CDEF#GAB?
You start on G and play GABCDEF#, because only if you start on G, the distances between the keys will be the same. W= whole step, H = half step, and in CDEFGABC you have WWHWWWH. In CDEF#GABC you would have WWWHWWH. The first mentioned WWHWWWH pattern is the same for all major scales.
If this is too technical for you, just play CDEFGAB then play GABCDEF#, and hear that they sound the same, one is just a bit higher. Then play CDEFGAB and then CDEF#GAB, and you'll hear that they do not sound the same.

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks, I understand! That’s a challenge for sure!

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OP - sorry not to have been explicit enough.
You need a little "music theory" to understand.
Major Scales are built of 2 "tetrachords", sequences of 4 ascending notes.
If you look at C major on the piano - the first tetrachord is C-D-E-F, the second is G-A-B-C.
A major scale has just TWO places in which there is a "half-step", or a minor 2nd, depending on the nomenclature you are using.
They are: 3-4, and 7-8. Notice those half-step precede the highest note in each tetrachord.
So... to construct a major scale,
C-D D-E E-F
Tetrachord 1: 1-2 (M2), 2-3(M2) 3-4(m2)

G-A A-B B-C
Tetrachord 2: 5-6 (M2), 6-7(M2), 7-8(m2)

M2 = Major second
m2 = minor second

If you visualize, or look at the piano keyboard, a minor 2nd is built from 2 adjacent keys, a major 2nd has ONE additional key.
Look at the keyboard: E-F (also 3-4 in the C major scale) are adjacent,
C-D (also known as 1-2 in the C major scale) have a key in the middle. It happens to be a black key, but it can just as well be a white key.

You can now build a major scale starting on any key using the method above.
Likewise, you can transpose the exercises into any (major) key using the method above.

Minor scales have a different arrangement of intervals.
I leave that to you to discover as an exercise.

Hope this doesn't confuse you more :-)

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
J
J
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
Do Hanon exercises apply? Are there better more suited exercises for adult learners?

Hanon exercises are not good for you.
Your goal (ultimately) is dexterity / speed, not strength = muscles.
Strength and muscles might seem like a goal, but it's not, those make you slower - think body builder.
And mindless repetition might seem like a good thing, but it isn't, it does nothing for you but build bad habits.
Scales, arpeggios at least have value. There are plenty of other exercises.
Stay away from Hanon.

Let me rephrase some of that.
*some* Hanon makes sense, but stay away from hours or endless, mindless, repetitive Hanon...

Last edited by JohnnyIssieBangie; 08/22/20 11:47 PM.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S

Like this?

I wont comment on the fact that it is usefull or not, but it certainly does not help building muscles of any sort. Playing any type of music, doing scales will be efficient than this. The exercices that develop specifically both finger independance, flexibility and increased control are held notes. There are plenty of variations from very simple to very complex.

Blüthner model 6
J
J
Check Plaidy technical excercises. They are short and in large part meant to be played in all keys. I think Peters edition is better, there is a Schirmer edition available in IMSLP but i think it concentrates too much to C major which misses the whole point of the book i think. (of course you can ignore instructions and play in all keys from number 36 onwards).

I play a little bit every day and after six months i am on page 12, so patience is required wink I think it is more like a brain excercise book than a finger excercise.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission