2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
Hi
There was a massive rain in my area and extra-ordinarily big wind at the same time. My Roland FP30 stands near the window, which, unfortunately, was opened. It started raining so suddenly that 2 minutes was enough time to make my piano keyboard get wet all over the A5 - C7 keyboard part. I cleaned it with a towel and left it to dry. After a couple of hours i turned it on and checked if all the keys were alright - they were. But when 3 hours later I turned it on in order to play, I noticed that my C6 (and B5 to some extent) barely work. It's mute unless you click it on specific places with a specific pressure. Is there anything I can do to help my FP30 recover?
Do I need a new piano?

Last edited by kostek525; 08/09/20 06:57 PM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
You shouldn't have turned it on.

But the good thing is, most of it should be ok. If the water got in only on the keys, at worst the key's sensor board would be damaged.

In this case, disassemble immediately, remove and allow the sensor board to dry, It's likely got water under the silicone cup contacts that go over the board.

You have to take it apart to ensure drying and such, there's no alternative, you can not blow into it from the outside.

Disassemble it with the keys facing up, this will be bothersome, but it ensures what's left of any water in any cavities won't swivel around and hit the main mother board / other components, whereby you'd be completely out of luck.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/09/20 07:25 PM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
There's a disassembly video of the FP30 on youtube in cantonese, good thing it's a video .

K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by jeffcat
You shouldn't have turned it on.

But the good thing is, most of it should be ok. If the water got in only on the keys, at worst the key's sensor board would be damaged.

In this case, disassemble immediately, remove and allow the sensor board to dry, It's likely got water under the silicone cup contacts that go over the board.

You have to take it apart to ensure drying and such, there's no alternative, you can not blow into it from the outside.

Disassemble it with the keys facing up, this will be bothersome, but it ensures what's left of any water in any cavities won't swivel around and hit the main mother board / other components, whereby you'd be completely out of luck.
How do you want me to dry it? Should I use haridryer?
And what do you mean "keys facing up"? So leave it like normally or upside down?

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Paper towel , then air dry. avoid any Hot Air. hot air bends plastic.

K
OP Offline
K
Paper towel , then air dry. avoid any Hot Air. hot air bends plastic.

https://i.imgur.com/vNhV4Yt.jpeg

This is what I should dry, right?
I've got into this and there's some amount of water. In the space between silicones and motherboard which is under them.

Last edited by kostek525; 08/09/20 09:14 PM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Yea, that's the place.

Look for any dampness on metal.

Check under that piece of shiny tape as well, if there's copper under there you'd have to dry that too. but you're on the right track.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/09/20 09:24 PM.
K
OP Offline
K
Yea, that's the place.

Check under that piece of shiny tape as well, if there's copper under there you'd have to dry that too. but you're on the right track.
can i roll up the sillicones and shiny tape? it won't break?

Last edited by kostek525; 08/09/20 09:29 PM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by kostek525
Yea, that's the place.

the shiny tape I don't know, but the silicone shouldn't break, either way, you have to do alot more disassembly than in the video, because water can follow the board underneath. and those metal weights can rust if they're wet, That whole main mounting is a steel plate, it's coated, but again, water = rust.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/09/20 09:34 PM.
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by kostek525
Yea, that's the place.

the shiny tape I don't know, but the silicone shouldn't break, either way, you have to do alot more disassembly than in the video, because water can follow the board underneath. and those metal weights can rust if they're wet, That whole main mounting is a steel plate, it's coated, but again, water = rust.
Yeah. It looks like there is still some amount of water at the bottom of the whole case, but I don't feel technically skilled enough to dig at the very bottom.
There's no water under sillicone but it looks like there is quite a bit of it under the tape. I feel insecure about scrapping off all the tape, though

Last edited by kostek525; 08/09/20 09:47 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Guys ... I think it's not advisable to suggest do-it-yourself repair to anyone not known to have the necessary skills.

@kostek525: Since you've already opened it up, I'd suggest getting the service manual before going further.
I've not seen Roland manuals before, but I know the Yamaha manuals have **detailed** instruction on disassembly and parts replacement.

You fear messing with these "tapes"? I don't blame you. I'd want to know more before proceeding.

It'll all seem easy the SECOND time you do the work. But the first time is fraught with the possibility of damage.

I think a three-step is in order: Learn. Plan. Then do.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I'm not sure waiting is the best plan in this specific case, because water collecting inside a board could lead to trace rot. That's fixable too, but arguably a higher difficulty than attempting to dry the machine quickly.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I think given the urgency of your situation, you might try using isopropyl alcohol and paper towel to help displace as much water as possible. You can use an eye dropper or syringe to first suck up as much water as possible, then "flood" a small area with alcohol, then use the same dropper or syringe to suck up as much alcohol/water mixture as possible. Then put the edge of a paper towel near the remaining moisture and let it wick into the paper towel. I wouldn't take anything apart other than what you need to in order to get visible access to the water.
Wow, this was really an unlucky break. I guess it's a reason I never thought of for why using a key cover is a good idea.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
K
OP Offline
K
https://imgur.com/a/KkwQ73c
I rolled up the tape and silicones like picrel and cleaned up with paper towel. The only issue left is the one I mentioned, on the second photo you can see reflection on the little amount of water just at the bottom, between that white hammer and the board. I definitely don't feel confident enough to keep going of the case. I do think that the worst issue is behind me (the water under tape and sillicones, which I guess corresponds for key pressure etc)
Now I let it dry.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
That sensor board is probably 1 sided, but just in case, I'd check under it as well. especially if the cabling is down there, and the water followed the cabling down.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If you live in a dry climate, you could put a fan blowing on the open case to help dry things out. If it's damp where you live and you have a dehumidifier, put the piano in a room with the dehumidifier and a fan blowing on it and leave it running until you can't find any more evidence of water. Then cross your fingers and turn it on.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
K
OP Offline
K
Okay. Thank you all for help, especially @jeffcat

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission