2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
One reason why Roland have a 10 year warranty on their pianos. Why buy one that won't last or needs constant repair?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Creeksider
I average something like three hours a day practicing classical.....

With this much use, though, the contact strip seems to last only about 15 months. I've owned it about 3-1/2 years and I'm getting ready to request a third replacement.

I'd appreciate comments from others who make similarly heavy use of a quality digital piano, especially if practicing classical.
I'm really surprised at this.

I've had my V-Piano now for 10 years, and it still plays like new. I practice exclusively classical on it, averaging three hours a day, everyday (when I'm not on my travels) - the pieces I perform in my monthly recital: everything from Bach to Beethoven to Brahms to Busoni to Bartók to Barber to Boulez to Birtwistle. (OK, maybe not Boulez and Birtwistle wink ). And I don't spare it - if I see ffff on the score, I play ffff.

The only things I've had replaced are the white keys: as most people here know, the original "ivory feel" surfaces on the white keys were prone to get abraded, and though it didn't affect the playing, I got them replaced under warranty with straightforward plastic surfaces, because I didn't like the cosmetic result.

The V still plays - and looks - exactly like new, with no sign of wear or key loosening, even on the frequently-played keys.

I do keep the whole thing covered up (draped over with an old polycotton bedsheet whistle - which I wash periodically) when I'm not playing it, to keep the dust and smoke & oils off its surfaces (my kitchenette is just a few feet away, and I'm a lousy cook prone to smokin' my cooking......).

All this about having to replace the contact strip regularly is news to me...........

Now that's really wonderful!!! So does the V Piano also function as a midi controller? Maybe I should look into this for my next upgrade? I'm going to take your word for it, Mac Mac Mac!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by David Lai
So does the V Piano also function as a midi controller?

Well, yes. It has the MIDI in/out/through connectors, so, no reason not to work, though it will require a MIDI-USB converter for you to connect to your computer.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/v-piano/specifications/

The question is price (apparently it is still in production - at least so it looks from reading Roland's page on it). Or, if used, finding one as well cared for as Bennevis'.

Last edited by EVC2017; 07/28/20 05:01 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Creeksider
Thanks for the replies. According to Kawai, the problem is wear, not dust or debris. When the contact strips become worn, individual notes may, more or less randomly, sound at maximum volume although played at normal volume. Also, some notes stick (or fail to repeat) unless fully released, perhaps with a brief wait. I'm inclined to believe the contact strips are good for a thousand hours or so of playing time, which might last several years for many users but only a year or so for someone who practices as much as I do.

In my otherwise misspent youth, I practiced saxophone all day, every day. Ron Carter said he did 7 hours, now just 2 but gets the same thing done.

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I am actually concerned people think 3 hours a day every day is a heavy amount of playing... In my opinion and I would have thought most people heavy playing is 4-6+ a day every day, tbh I would call 6-8 hours a day heavy playing, its what professional pianists practice, minimum i would say 4 hours a day, 6 is probably optimal though.

Personally i dont think there's enough hours in the day to practice everything you want to, its so easy to spend hours and hours playing and practicing as it's all so much fun and satisfying to do so.

S
S
Find out the production date of your Kawai-if pre 2019, there could be contact strip issue and the whole strip would need to be replaced. The new one is blue, apparently. I am interested to know the answer to your question as well as I am in a similar situation-I own Kawai ES8. I used to practice 8 hours a day on acoustic. I play other instruments as well, so not doing that much practice on digital, but wonder what would Kawai do after your 5 years warranty runs out. It won't be cheap then...

-Kawai ES8
-Casio Privia PX330
-Casio Ct-X-800 (fun rhythms!)
- musical washboard and a kazoo
-Sennheiser HD598
C
OP Offline
C
Regarding the contact strip: The entire contact strip has been replaced twice, both pre-2019. It would be nice to learn that they've identified the problem and come up with a solution so that another replacement will upgrade the piano to a contact strip that will endure more hours of play/practice. Otherwise, I was anticipating one more replacement within the warranty period, and then perhaps shopping for another piano, partly to avoid the cost of dealing with this problem and partly because I'll probably feel I'm ready for a new piano by that time.

Regarding hours of practice: I expect people differ in their ability to benefit from additional hours per day. I practice three hours or so mainly because I enjoy that much practice, even if the third hour produces little added improvement. There are days when I wish I could practice six hours.

S
S
could you write your practice repertoire for us, OP? It's give me a better understanding of how much wear your instrument gets. Also, I found Kawai are quite cagey about giving out the production date for your unit. YOu can find the dates for their acoustics online, but not DP. I have contacted Kawai Japan directly with the question about my unit, they first replied asking me for the serial number, but I never heard back from them after I sent it. I only have the word of the retailer I bought it from and nothing else to confirm it. I thought it was quite unprofessional of Kawai Japan to never reply back to me.

-Kawai ES8
-Casio Privia PX330
-Sennheiser HD598
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Bosendorff
On my Korg Kronos I practice at least two hours of advanced classical piano daily and I have no problem with the action or contacts after 3,5 years. Same with my 30 years old Kurzweil MIDIboard (though it doesn't use contacts). In my book, a DP action which start to feel bad after just 15 months is quite ordinary (to stay polite). I got rid of a Kurzweil PC2X for that reason (Fatar keybed).

I'm curious what you think of the Korg keyboard action....

Marcus Valdes

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is a surprise ...
Originally Posted by Siberialina
I found Kawai are quite cagey about giving out the production date for your unit.
On my Clav the label on the underside of the keyboard give model, serial number, and date of manufacture. Is that not the case for Kawai pianos?

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
In your case, assuming you never tire of these habits, Optical sensor pianos is the way to go.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/10/20 08:08 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This is a surprise ...
I found Kawai are quite cagey about giving out the production date for your unit.
On my Clav the label on the underside of the keyboard give model, serial number, and date of manufacture. Is that not the case for Kawai pianos?

I could not find this information on my ES8 either. The packing box has it but who, other than some crazy weirdos wink , keeps the packing stuff?

Last edited by EVC2017; 08/10/20 04:25 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by mivaldes
I'm curious what you think of the Korg keyboard action....
Hi Marcus,

I really like the Korg RH3 action. Certainly not the most sophisticated in terms of specs, but very solid and reliable action (almost 4 years of daily classical stuff on it now and it feels like new). It's also not at all tiring and quite comfortable because the key "stop" felts are of very good quality. I can also play Hammond organ or synth parts easily and as quickly as needed as the RH3 action is also versatile. The only thing missing on it is poly AT but for this I can always use my old MIDIboard.

N
N
The actions in acoustic grands have been developed over two centuries and are now very reliable. Add optical sensors and all you are likely to wear out are easily replaceable felts and foams. So consider the usual suspects from Yamaha and Kawaii.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would assume that in general stage pianos are built to withstand more abuse than any regular DP, but exceptions probably exist.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
S
S
you should contact your retailer, or Kawai office in your area, quite helpful to know the manufacture date of your unit.

-Kawai ES8
-Casio Privia PX330
-Sennheiser HD598
S
S
Originally Posted by NormB
The actions in acoustic grands have been developed over two centuries and are now very reliable. Add optical sensors and all you are likely to wear out are easily replaceable felts and foams. So consider the usual suspects from Yamaha and Kawaii.
would be good to know the names of the "usual suspects" for those not so well informed wink

-Kawai ES8
-Casio Privia PX330
-Sennheiser HD598
S
S
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
This is a surprise ...

I could not find this information on my ES8 either. The packing box has it but who, other than some crazy weirdos wink , keeps the packing stuff?
O actually kept the box(good for concealing bodies LOL) will have a look. I thought the boxes are made standard, and serial numbers/production dates are individual, didn't expect the box to have the production date on the box, it's not anywhere on a warranty card or a manual.

-Kawai ES8
-Casio Privia PX330
-Sennheiser HD598
J
J
Originally Posted by NormB
Kawai* Kawai is a last name in Japanese, Kawaii means cute. Would be pretty odd seeing "CUTE" in bold letters on a piano, wouldn't it? Lol

Finally bought the P515
Originally Posted by joemama42O
Would be pretty odd seeing "CUTE" in bold letters on a piano, wouldn't it?

MacMacMac fires up MS Paint...

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission