2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (Anglagard44, BrokenSymmetry, AaronSF, antune, brennbaer, clothearednincompo, CraiginNZ, 36251, 13 invisible), 623 guests, and 444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
With the news of 97,000 children infected, and Multiple student and staff quarantined after 1st week of school reopenings, IDK guys, may have to wait it out for 3 years in the USA, or move to another country w/ sane humans.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
My concern is that a teaching piano isn't just some random surface in your home. For a piano teacher, it's an exclusive surface that multiple people spend extended time at, touching it all over as they play. And if it's anything like the lessons I've had and seen, students switch off frequently with the teacher as well who is correcting and demonstrating technique. Realistically, a person may be touching their face, or any other part of their body that hasn't been scrubbed for 40 seconds, a dozen times or more over a 30-60 minutes lesson. And so is the teacher. And then the next student comes in. It's not a good situation from a social distancing perspective.

Given how transmissible we know COVID is, I think it is really, really bad advice to suggest not cleaning the piano (especially keys and bench) between lessons. Don't worry about the finish, that fake ivory touch touch surface is just plastic.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sage words, Gombessa.
I have no worries about my piano because no one touches it but me.

But a teaching piano? That's a totally different use case.

And, yes, the keys are just plastic. Lysol wipes for the keys and for everything else. Simple.

That's if there are any parents willing to take the risk these days.
I wonder how the teaching business is faring?
Perhaps Morodiene will come along and comment.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gombessa
My concern is that a teaching piano isn't just some random surface in your home. For a piano teacher, it's an exclusive surface that multiple people spend extended time at, touching it all over as they play. And if it's anything like the lessons I've had and seen, students switch off frequently with the teacher as well who is correcting and demonstrating technique. Realistically, a person may be touching their face, or any other part of their body that hasn't been scrubbed for 40 seconds, a dozen times or more over a 30-60 minutes lesson. And so is the teacher. And then the next student comes in. It's not a good situation from a social distancing perspective.

Given how transmissible we know COVID is, I think it is really, really bad advice to suggest not cleaning the piano (especially keys and bench) between lessons. Don't worry about the finish, that fake ivory touch touch surface is just plastic.

Regarding the deadliness and transmissiblity of the virus it's already too late for many countries to shut down their economy. They're all doing what China did: Lying to the entire world and their own people. This includes majority of the 1st world countries.

Cleaning, wiping, etc are all necessary health measures but at this stage in my humble opinion around 70% of us will eventually deal with this virus at some stage (if we haven't been exposed to the virus already!!!) and this is the best case scenario.

Last edited by Abdol; 08/09/20 06:17 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I would say that if the teacher and the pupils are at all nervous about this, then maybe stick to Skype, as you're always going to have that tense feeling at the back of your mind.

I think you either mutually agree to do it an accept the risk, perhaps wiping the keys with Lysol (that sounded like a good idea) inbetween pupils, wear masks, and have a bottle of hand sanitiser (similar to any shop) or don't if one party is nervous.

I do think the Lysol sounds like the best one so far, as it doesn't damage the key surfaces, according to the poster. Or is there a kind of clear plastic temporary covering one can fit to the keys in the meantime, or something like that? Not ideal, but just a thought.

I would also bear in mind that adults may be more disciplined about touching their face, sneezing, coughing, etc. etc. than kids.

Just to add - that thing a few posts up about the strings - possible, but going a touch far, in my opinion, however, let's assume it's correct - teach with the lid down?

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
It'd be a lot of work if you want to be thorough and wipe down every single of the 88 keys, including the 2 sides of all the black keys, every single time in between students. That is, if you want to be thorough, which you do, because what's the point if you don't in the first place.

And this is also assuming that you (should) ask every students to wash their hands thoroughly before each lesson at your house. But unless you supervise them washing their hands in your bathroom, how do you know if they do a good job washing their hands or not?

But as soon as they touch any part of their face then the keyboard, you'd have to assume that their face is contaminated, and therefore your keyboard has been contaminated again. And this is already assuming that they wear face mask while playing, so coughing and sneezing into the face mask doesn't cause contamination. And this is assuming that the face mask has enough thickness and has no filtering that can vent their breathing out unfiltered ...

Boy, it's tiring and complicated to keep up with this for every single lesson....

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Sage words, Gombessa.

And, yes, the keys are just plastic. Lysol wipes for the keys and for everything else. Simple.

Are we sure lysol won't discolor affect abs keys ?, what about the spray kind, does it have some sort of solvent ?

J
J
From this website:

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/blogs/how-to-disinfect-your-piano/

Kawai's Tom Haydney offer some great advice:

"In terms of making sure germs aren’t transferred, the best thing to do is always wash hands before playing, and also after. It’s a very good habit even outside of pandemics.

Using cleaning substances containing alcohol is fine with plastic keys."

John

Last edited by John62; 08/10/20 05:44 AM.

Kawai CA79
Spray Lysol? On a piano? Shudddddder. frown
Wipes only, please.

K
K
Originally Posted by jeffcat
With the news of 97,000 children infected, and Multiple student and staff quarantined after 1st week of school reopenings, IDK guys, may have to wait it out for 3 years in the USA, or move to another country w/ sane humans.

+1. Which country has the best Kawai support? If I move to Japan will KJ be my personal technician?? smile

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, I've also heard it's not recommended to use spray products on a piano (more because it gets into the keys). If I had to, I'd choose spraying a piano over risking anyone's health, but the easy alternative is to spray the solution onto a cloth (which may also give any aresolizing agents or solvents a chance to dissipate), and then use the cloth to wipe the piano.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Suggestions for a 3.5mm > 3.5mm Cable
by mmathew - 04/17/21 05:09 PM
Playing by ear v Reading sheet music
by LarryShone - 04/17/21 04:20 PM
Why do used Baldwins seemed to sell for less than...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 04:00 PM
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 03:57 PM
Did many of the great piano compositions start out...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 03:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,354
Posts3,083,544
Members101,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission