2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bsntn99 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I realize this won't interest most people, but VSL is having a sale through the end of August and free 30 day demo on their orchestral starter editions. Volume 1 includes the Steinway D-274 Light version. The sale price for this package is showing as $236 or EU199.

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Synchronized_Special_Edition_Bundle/Synchronized_Special_Edition_Vol1

The difference is the D-274 Light only includes the close condenser and room mix mics, and has 30 velocity layers. I demo'd the full version and I don't notice a difference with the same mic positions. It still includes all the player features and pedalling of the full version. The only negatives from me is that it has a percussive attack and is voiced on the bright side. There is also some ringing/buzzing around C6. This is the same as in the full version. I use the built in eq with a high shelf at 3-4 Khz cutting by 8-10 db to get rid of a lot of the brightness to smooth things out.

It also includes a full set of orchestral patches which runs in a separate player. There is a Bosendorfer patch amongst the orchestral stuff, but is quite bad with only 3 velocity layers and no advanced pedalling. I use the velocity xfade control to lock in on one of the velocity layers to at least make it somewhat playable. It does require the Vienna Key or Cubase Elicenser which is what I use.

If you have ever wanted a full set of orchestral patches along with a very good piano included, this is the best library and deal I have run across. The overall footprint is pretty small and can run on a laptop with a decent cpu. I will probably pick this up to use for backing tracks or light orchestral sketching.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Pretty interesting.

Anyone has opinions if the d-274 is worth it with only the close condenser and room-mix mics? (At least it would help with the "vst's have too many options" problem!) smirk

I would also like to know if this d-274 is upgradable to a standard or full version.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
D-274 is my favorite VST among all that I owned. I didn't like it in the beginning and also thought it's too bright. It takes some time for me to really appreciate the sound. I feel the default velocity curve is on the bright side and I need to tame it down a little bit. After that, the distinctive Steinway sound is just so unique and I like it so much better than other Bosendorfer and Yamaha VSTs. It has its own density and weight in it. BTW I have the full version and I do think it is worth it. Just that it takes a lot of time working on the config. The light version may be on the brighter side since there is no mid microphones. David Lai has a setting for the standard version that works pretty well also.

Last edited by Harpuia; 08/06/20 01:51 PM.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks bsntn99 and good to see you back again.

That is a compelling package for those interested in exploring a home orchestra. Great tools of today's technology!

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I am temped by this, as I am interetested in the d-274, and was looking for some orcehstra instruments to use for backing tracks as well.

But I first want to try the demo. For that I would unfortunately need an E-licenser. Does anyone know if there is any difference to buying a steinberg or vsl e-licenser? What's best?

B
bsntn99 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by U3piano
I am temped by this, as I am interetested in the d-274, and was looking for some orcehstra instruments to use for backing tracks as well.

But I first want to try the demo. For that I would unfortunately need an E-licenser. Does anyone know if there is any difference to buying a steinberg or vsl e-licenser? What's best?
They are the same product, just called a different name by Steinberg or VSL. I would just get whichever is cheapest depending on your location.

Pretty interesting.

Anyone has opinions if the d-274 is worth it with only the close condenser and room-mix mics? (At least it would help with the "vst's have too many options" problem!) smirk

I would also like to know if this d-274 is upgradable to a standard or full version.
As far as the different mics, I tried the full version and only liked the close condenser and tube mics. I didn't care for the close ribbon or mid mics. The main, room, and surround mics are somewhat similar and I feel the room mix gives enough of the space to mix in with the close condenser mic. Here is youtube video on the light version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofTI11u3Ak

You can check with VSL if it would be upgradable to the full version. They usually give some discount consideration with upgrades.

Thank you very much thumb

i just download the demo.

Yamaha P 525
VSL D-274 , BI and CFX, NI Komplete Ultimate, VPS Avenger, Gig Performer
IK loud MTMs, Motu M4, DT 990 pro, AKG702, Macbook pro M1
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Pretty interesting.

It's perfectly fine. I have the full version and often use the same close position, with a touch of a distant pair. The room would substitute for this.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by johnstaf
It's perfectly fine. I have the full version and often use the same close position, with a touch of a distant pair. The room would substitute for this.

Thanks, that's all I need to know. I ordered an e-licenser so I can try the demo. I have also mailed vsl with the question about the possibility of upgrading.

Also Bsntn99 thanks for making this thread. thumb

All these instruments this package come with, can they be used as a plugin in a DAW, anyone know this? (I'm not too familiar with these things yet.)

K
K
All these instruments this package come with, can they be used as a plugin in a DAW, anyone know this? (I'm not too familiar with these things yet.)

Same question here and I'm not too familiar yet, either.

Also... and I hate to ask it... "how is the D-274 compared to the BI?" I know Harpuia says he/she prefers the D-274 to the BI. I have the BI (Standard) and am wondering if this is worth it.

However, I am interested in the orchestra instruments. I briefly looked for a video showing a demo of the non-piano instruments included (?) with this volume/edition..? Perhaps I'm confused. Also looking to create backing tracks.

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
D-274 is my favorite VST among all that I owned. I didn't like it in the beginning and also thought it's too bright. It takes some time for me to really appreciate the sound. I feel the default velocity curve is on the bright side and I need to tame it down a little bit. After that, the distinctive Steinway sound is just so unique and I like it so much better than other Bosendorfer and Yamaha VSTs. It has its own density and weight in it. BTW I have the full version and I do think it is worth it. Just that it takes a lot of time working on the config. The light version may be on the brighter side since there is no mid microphones. David Lai has a setting for the standard version that works pretty well also.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I also love this Steinway. And, not to sound too selfish, but I was really proud of myself when I reached a great combination of the balance between the condenser and mid 1 microphones!
But seriously, it's a great instrument in sound and feel!
I wonder, do you do the velocity curve thing in the SynchronPiano player or do you run this as a VST in a daw?

B
bsntn99 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yes this runs as a plugin in your daw. What I do in Cubase is have an instance run on each track with just the instruments or articulations I want loaded for that track. Then I can program strings separately from brass, etc. You can set the player to only load the samples when you send midi to that track for the first time so it does not preload all of the samples.

Note there are two players in this package, the Synchron Pianos for the D-274 and the Synchron Player for the orchestral stuff. There is a lot to learn on the Synchron Player and I am still figuring stuff out. I suggest watching the walkthroughs of the different instruments on Youtube that VSL has and the tutorials on using the Synchron Player for the orchestral stuff. It is very deep on what you can do with it.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by bsntn99
Yes this runs as a plugin in your daw. What I do in Cubase is have an instance run on each track with just the instruments or articulations I want loaded for that track. Then I can program strings separately from brass, etc. You can set the player to only load the samples when you send midi to that track for the first time so it does not preload all of the samples.

Note there are two players in this package, the Synchron Pianos for the D-274 and the Synchron Player for the orchestral stuff. There is a lot to learn on the Synchron Player and I am still figuring stuff out. I suggest watching the walkthroughs of the different instruments on Youtube that VSL has and the tutorials on using the Synchron Player for the orchestral stuff. It is very deep on what you can do with it.

I just listened to some of the videos, and it is very deep indeed! I guess one piano is enough for my attention for the time being, but certainly the orchestra stuff sounds really cool!!! smile

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by David Lai

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I also love this Steinway. And, not to sound too selfish, but I was really proud of myself when I reached a great combination of the balance between the condenser and mid 1 microphones!
I wonder, do you do the velocity curve thing in the SynchronPiano player or do you run this as a VST in a daw?

Unfortunately the Synchron Piano software doesn’t not provide a touch curve functionality. The only thing that I can modify is a configuration called midi sensitivity which is not very effective. I’m hosting Synchron Pianos in MainStage as a DAW and I’m using macOS. MainStage provides a utility to alter the touch curve.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by David Lai

Unfortunately the Synchron Piano software doesn’t not provide a touch curve functionality. The only thing that I can modify is a configuration called midi sensitivity which is not very effective. I’m hosting Synchron Pianos in MainStage as a DAW and I’m using macOS. MainStage provides a utility to alter the touch curve.

I see! Thanks for your reply. smile I guess I can live with the midi sensitivity at 0 at least for now. smile

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Unfortunately the Synchron Piano software doesn’t not provide a touch curve functionality.

That is quite surprising. It seems like one of the most basic and important function to implement in a piano vst. For me it's not a problem since I have a vpc-1 with it's own velocity curve settings, but quite surprising, for such a high level vst as this.

They'll probably implement it in the future.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I got a couple of questions answered by vsl so here's some new information:

1. There are currently no plans for seperately available light versions of the synchron piano's.

2. If you have the light version of the D-274 included in this package, you will get 12 EUR (about 14 dollar) discount if you get the standard version of the D-274 later on.

B
bsntn99 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Not surprised they won't share anything on future plans. I suspect at some point they may add a light version of the cfx or bosendorfer to some other special edition package, but not sell it separately. They mainly support the composing community. Pianist are a secondary and smaller market for them. Support on vi control has been very good from them. Much better than any other company.

Disappointing on the upgrade that the do not give more of a discount. For the D-274 that comes with this package, the close mic is 16.5gb and the room mix 18gb. So these are a little more than half the size of the full version with the 30 velocity layers. This means the full version has about 55-60 velocity layers for the same mics.

Last edited by bsntn99; 08/13/20 11:05 AM.
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I just installed the demo of this package, this is my first experience with vsl. At first I was annoyed because of having to use a e-licenser in the first place, and then i was even more annoyed finding out that thing is so thick it actually takes up 2 of my usb ports. But, after playing around with this package for a while, all i can say is: wow! shocked

I am impressed. The steinway light as well as the orchestra instruments are absolutely stunning. The sound quality is just incredible, and unmatched by any other virtual piano I own. The playability is just great as well, as expected, having already learned that from this forum.

It even seems to be pretty easy on my system, something i didn't expect.

Well those are my first impressions, I'm buying this.

M
M
I can't seem to find the steinway in the synchron player but I see it in the content folder on desktop. Maybe I installed the wrong demo? MooganDavid

Rme BabyFace Pro, Dynaudio BM6-ll, Garritan CFX Full, Vienna Imperial, Truekeys American Grand, Modern U, Cantabile Solo 2, Hauptwerk Pipe Organ Vst, VB3 Hammond Vst and SPIN Leslie Vst, Yamaha CP33 and Novation Impulse 61
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission