2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
42 members (David B, dng, Damien PG, djvu10, computerpro3, bsntn99, 13 invisible), 396 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Help identifying piece..
#3010912 08/06/20 05:17 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Hello all! I am trying to discover what piece of music this is. Does anyone have an idea? I only have this snippet. Thank you for the help!!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zqdz2q9iat3w2n/What%20is%20this%20piece.mp3?dl=0

Re: Help identifying piece..
Issadore #3010937 08/06/20 06:45 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Shazam doesn't know. Not surprising though wink

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Issadore #3011126 08/07/20 10:58 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Hi ShiroKuro,
Thank you for checking with Shazam, I appreciate it! This one is tricky. Anyone else have any ideas or approaches I might take to discover what piece this is?

Issadore #3011183 08/07/20 01:39 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's possible that the old "Dictionary of Musical Themes" book -- rarely seen any more -- would have it. I have a copy but I'm not at home where I have it. If nobody else gives the answer meanwhile, I'll check. (Not highly optimistic it's in there.)

This is a neat piece. It reminds me of this thing by Horowitz, which I once played (in a different life). grin

Issadore #3011217 08/07/20 02:59 PM
S
S
No, it's not in Dictionary of Musical Themes. (I have both the original and the opera/song companion volume.)

I thought there was something familiar about that Horowitz piece. I blew some dust off of a row of my CD collection and found it on a disc called "Pianists as Composers"...Donald Manildi, piano. Haven't listened to it in years....it has several other interesting works on it. Nice job playing it. You take the same tempo as Manildi and the track timing comes out precisely the same!

scriabinfanatic #3011232 08/07/20 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by scriabinfanatic
....Nice job playing it. You take the same tempo as Manildi and the track timing comes out precisely the same!

Thank you, and interesting that his timing is the same.
But, I have to confess, I prefer it a little quicker, and in fact was purposely taking what I considered a compromised tempo for the sake of accuracy. This video was for a formal purpose, and I didn't feel like I could afford much risk on accuracy. If it were just a regular performance (even if it were also being videoed -- the thing is, for this thing, the video was the purpose) -- for a regular performance I'd have taken a faster tempo, like maybe 5%.

BTW, cool that you have those books, not even just the first one but also that other one.
I don't remember coming across anyone else who has it at all.

Issadore #3011270 08/07/20 04:52 PM
S
S
It was when I was in music theory class (decades ago) that the prof mentioned Dictionary of Musical Themes...so when I happened to see a copy in the bookstore, I snatched it right up. My copy is marked-up quite a bit, due to my efforts (also long ago) to put much of it into a computer database of my own design, along with a melody search algorithm tied into a MIDI keyboard.

Issadore #3011300 08/07/20 06:18 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have both books - picked them up at a second-hand book/music sale some years ago. My high school library had them (many years ago) and I used to love browsing through them there.

Du holde Kunst...
Issadore #3011316 08/07/20 07:02 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I wish there was a Shazam for classical music...

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
currawong #3011331 08/07/20 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by currawong
I have both books - picked them up at a second-hand book/music sale some years ago. My high school library had them (many years ago) and I used to love browsing through them there.

(Hello!) smile

Yes, they can be great fun, and not just for finding something. I've enjoyed just browsing through some of those 'codes' in the back and trying to guess what pieces they are, and I've enjoyed seeing which different things unexpectedly have similar or even identical codes, meaning that their notes deceptively are extremely similar -- like, for example (my favorite!) -- did you (or anyone here) ever realize that the opening 'melodies' of the first and last movements of the Moonlight Sonata have exactly the same notes, for a fair while??

That totally floored me. I mean, look, how many many times I've heard (and played) those movements, yet never had any inkling of that.

And also, it's interesting to see what's included and what isn't. In that respect, the original book is, I'd have to say, very much a period piece. There's quite a lot of stuff that was 'in vogue' at that time which I doubt would be included in such a reference book now.

Plus: It's interesting (some might say I'm being generous in saying "interesting" rather than some other kind of adjective) grin how unless we get the notes 10000% right on something we're looking up, we usually won't find it, even if it's in there.
And there are some kinds of things, like if a melody begins with some kind of ornament, where it's hard to know how to 'code' those notes, so we just sort of toss a coin in our minds.

ShiroKuro #3011359 08/07/20 09:17 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
I wish there was a Shazam for classical music...

Shazam does work with classical. But it works the same with classical as with pop music -- i.e., it's comparing digital "fingerprints" from a database of commercially-released CD tracks (songs/pieces/whatever); it's not identifying melodies per se. So you can't expect it to ID some live performance that was never released on a commercial CD.

The first time I ever heard of Shazam, I was on vacation visiting family, in a nice restaurant that was playing some classical music over the PA, and one of my sisters asked me what the piece was. I said that it was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't quite recall it. So my other sis pulls out her smartphone and uses Shazam, which to my astonishment correctly ID'd the piece -- as well as the performing ensemble.

I haven't used it a lot, but for fun, I just gave it a challenge, playing it some pretty obscure stuff. It correctly ID'd Hamelin playing a Kapustin etude off of a Hyperion CD. Then it correctly ID'd an Ignaz Friedman piano transcription played by Joseph Banowetz on the Grand Piano label. It even correctly iD'd Viktor Valkov playing a Dimitar Nenov etude. Not bad!

Mark_C #3011361 08/07/20 09:46 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Mark_C
And also, it's interesting to see what's included and what isn't. In that respect, the original book is, I'd have to say, very much a period piece. There's quite a lot of stuff that was 'in vogue' at that time which I doubt would be included in such a reference book now.

That has been a big issue I've noticed with the book too. For example, I went to a solo cello recital, and all the drive home I was humming this wonderful melody from an encore played by the cellist. I looked it up in the book, and it wasn't there. I posted a facsimile of the melody online and a cellist ID'd it as from a Bach cello suite. I ended up buying the complete Bach cello suites (played by that same cellist), and that one played in the concert remains my favorite.

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Plus: It's interesting (some might say I'm being generous in saying "interesting" rather than some other kind of adjective) grin how unless we get the notes 10000% right on something we're looking up, we usually won't find it, even if it's in there.
And there are some kinds of things, like if a melody begins with some kind of ornament, where it's hard to know how to 'code' those notes, so we just sort of toss a coin in our minds.

That's one of the issues I addressed with my computer program. If it couldn't find an exact match, then it would go back and look for similar ones.

Issadore #3011552 08/08/20 01:16 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Thank you Mark C for sharing your performance! There really are some similarities between the pieces. Thank you everyone for taking the time to look ( the Dictionary of Musical Themes sounds amazing). If anyone has any other ideas of where I might look I would be ever grateful!

Issadore #3011600 08/08/20 03:23 PM
^Thank you for listening!^ smile

About the similarity of the pieces:
That really made me wish my tempo had been quicker!!
The piece you posted is very effective at that speed.
After hearing that, mine felt unusually sluggish by contrast.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My new Yamaha NU1X
by Mountains-and-Snow - 09/23/20 10:35 PM
Heads up: Free Sean Chen Live Streaming Concert Sept 24th
by computerpro3 - 09/23/20 10:07 PM
Favorite mass?
by chopinetto - 09/23/20 06:51 PM
Dilemma-help
by Cutec - 09/23/20 05:35 PM
Vose & Sons Serial Number(s)
by piperbill - 09/23/20 05:03 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,784
Posts3,006,189
Members98,650
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission