2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/piano/sinhakken-only-white-no-black-keys/

To me, this is a ridiculous idea because:
1. It's incredibly difficult to play since one can't use the black keys to to orient oneself
2. It's incredibly limited to what pieces it can perform since it only contains notes in the C major scale

Maybe only one example of this was built? The only reason I can think for someone buying it would its unique look but there are so many other ways to choose something other than the standard black piano.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Is the all white key piano the dumbest think ever?

Yes.

At first I thought *all* the keys were white. IOW, every key would be attached to a hammer, and all the hammers would function. If so, that would be incredibly hard to play, but sort of interesting nonetheless.

But no. This is a piano with a full set of hammer/action, but only the black keys themselves are missing. So, that's just dumb.

Also, how would the tuner tune the strings that should be attached to a black key? As those strings went out of tune, wouldn't they add an out-of-tune resonance?

So yeah, just dumb.

/cranky

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 08/05/20 08:07 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well, I've learned from experience that, sometimes, being really good at something is not quite good enough, in terms of gaining a competitive edge, in an effort to achieve a certain level of success.

But in the case of an all white key piano, as much as I like playing in the key of C major, I wouldn't want one, and I certainly would not buy one. If fact, I would not go out of my way to see or play one. smile

On the other hand, being different can add a extra edge at times, that can lead to success. On the other, other hand, being too different from the norm can mean failure rather than success. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
The pianist just improvises when the piece (Doctor Gradus) becomes more chromatic.Yes very strange looking too.How many improvisations are there in C major ? Not enough.

N
Nip Offline
N
There is equal value to each key - no discrimination wink

Kawai MP7SE - Hammond XK3c - Synthesizers
K
K
You just need one piano per scale...

Maybe you could swap out the keys and buy a set of keys for each scale or possibly specific for each song you want to play.
If this were the software industry, that would be perfectly normal smile

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
It only has the diatonic notes of C major, there are no sharps.

From what I can see this is not a specially built piano, but rather a keyboard and action that can be fitted to an existing piano. Sinhakken is on the fallboard but it's only because they put a decal over where it says Steinway and Sons, the piano in the Classic FM video is just a normal Hamburg B. They'll have tuned it with the normal keyboard in it.

It's probably the dumbest idea ever, I've no idea why they'd think to do it, but hey, it got them likes on facebook and that's what counts these days right?

YAMAHA Artist
Wow, I thought this would be someone’s novelty design bespoke piano with the sharps coloured white or something. But no. This is so dumb it must be a ploy for social media hype. I agree with Joseph Fleetwood, seems like that’s all that matters these days.

If they want to show the world a piano without any black keys break out the photoshop. No need to physically build anything.

In the thread below, very recently, I voted that this was probably the oddest piano ever.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2990787/oddball-pianos.html#Post2990787

But the truth is that its main problem is to be an all naturals keyboard, and not the fact of being an all white one.

Why? Because for blind pianists it does not matter at all the colour of the keys. They could be purple or grey, rainbow style or all white. But it is of utmost importance its integrity and completion, for giving them the same possibilities that non blinded people have.

Well, perhaps, for some weirdos it might function as a toy piano. smile

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Fluxo,
for blind pianists it does not matter at all the colour of the keys

Of course the color isn't relevant, but I wonder how much of an impact there is due to the fact that the black keys are raised and shorter. Those would be potential tactile guides. I would guess that plays (har) at least a medium sized role. It would be interesting to see a video of a blind pianist playing with the camera directly over the keyboard....

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Yes, completely ridiculous and stupid. Also, maybe it’s just the angle but I couldn’t see any distinction from one key to the next, which would make playing even more difficult. How would you find middle C? Is there a little notch like on a typewriter or computer keyboard? I might just try it to try it but no real interest here.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
L
Strangely enough, googling "Sinhakken" brings up nearly nothing about the company behind this publicity stunt. From what I can gather they appear to be Japanese (there are images on Google of the piano at some sort of trade show in Japan), but they have no website that I can find, or a product page. Only articles like the one OP linked to.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
SinhaKKKen

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Wow! So many grumpy people this morning! The all-naturals keyboard is interesting. I'd love to sit down at it, but it wouldn't be to play Op. 10/5. I'd want to try something new. And, no, it doesn't only play in C major.

Was the Janko keyboard the dumbest think ever? How about Christopher Seed's left-handed piano? How about when Joe Zawinul reversed the keyboard on his Arp 2600 (while simultaneously playing a Rhodes with a standard keyboard right under it)?

I was intrigued.

Larry.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
We’re not grumpy. We were just trained for years on the standard keyboard. All those hours memorizing all the scales, chord cadences, and arpeggios. Changing to such a new piano completely undermines all my training and practicing. Plus the only music I could play is in Ionian mode. It reminds me of a broken computer keyboard that only has the middle row of letters working with no double tap options. If you weren’t around for cellphone texting you won’t understand my last statement.

I’m just old. I hate to think I just have to flush all that struggle to learn key positions away.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by j&j
We’re not grumpy. We were just trained for years on the standard keyboard. All those hours memorizing all the scales, chord cadences, and arpeggios. Changing to such a new piano completely undermines all my training and practicing. Plus the only music I could play is in Ionian mode. It reminds me of a broken computer keyboard that only has the middle row of letters working with no double tap options. If you weren’t around for cellphone texting you won’t understand my last statement.
It's MUCH worse than what you said for the reasons stated in the first post. It's not just that everyone is used to the standard keyboard.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No, I'm not grumpy. My problem with the keyboard is not that it's "inconvenient" or requires learning something new. It's that you cannot play C#, D#, F#, G#, or A# (well, and you also can't play Db, Eb, Gb, Ab, or Bb).

Innovations to instruments should add, not detract, to the music.

That's my take anyway.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus- true. Since the vast collection of piano music was composed with a full chromatic scale, in fact most all popular modern music uses a chromatic scale, I just don’t think, as much as I love the C major scale, that it would be pretty much useless as an acoustic piano.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I'm pretty sure that the creators of the all-naturals keyboard didn't think that they were creating a replacement for the traditional keyboard. Just an interesting variation. Slide it out, slide in the traditional keyboard, and your Well Tempered Clavier is good to go.

Larry.

Originally Posted by j&j
I’m just old. I hate to think I just have to flush all that struggle to learn key positions away.

Me too, j&j.

Plus, just when I was getting pretty good at sliding off the black keys on to the white keys, really fast, on my boogie and blues tunes, the thought of not having any sharps/flats/black keys is disheartening. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission