2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
41 members (CLM Piano Learner, 36251, cmb13, bounced, ElaineAllegro, Craig Richards, dng, ee375, 8 invisible), 428 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Covid has halved my business.....
#3010602 08/05/20 08:24 PM
Duaner Offline OP
OP Offline
The virus has wrecked (for the time being) what I have been working very hard to build up. My business since March 15 this year has been cut in half (or more) and it is all because of this virus. I'm really not complaining as I'm healthy and my family is healthy at the moment. Obviously, there are ten's of thousands in far worse shape than I'm in health wise and financially. I'm just stating a fact from my perspective in my wee corner of the earth. I wonder how it has affected you? Care to share?

Duane Graves

"Pushin 70...still haven fun I think..."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Covid has halved my business.....
Duaner #3010608 08/05/20 08:33 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Not really because I telecommute, but it's hard to comment on your situation honestly without starting a debate on this thread.

I get the impression we're starting to see the cause and effect of our actions here, and I don't think it's going to be pretty. It'll be interesting if the media locks on to it. I've already noticed them starting to turn a little bit here and there. They owe it to us to make up for the damage they've done so far. It's the least they could do.

Sorry to hear about your situation. As you're about to find out in the near future, you're by no means the only one.

I wonder if performing arts will ever be the same again in a live sense. I wonder if people are thinking about these things?

Duaner #3011004 08/06/20 11:20 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
It seems to me that the paranoia of this virus is going to increase in intensity. We have only begun to see the ramifications of it. And just wait till the NEXT one comes along. Unfortunately the numbers are somewhat skewed (at least in the US) since there is a financial incentive to declare a person dead from C19. There may also be some financial incentive in the testing dept but I'm not sure on that. At any rate you can be sure that SOME people are benefiting handsomely as a result. The average person though is not. As always...follow the money.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 08/06/20 11:21 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Duaner #3011068 08/07/20 07:03 AM
J
J
it's difficult for people to take it seriously/ Visualize because they're not directly involved with stacking the body bags. Look at it this way, Funeral homes are way overwhelmed and shipping in refrigerated containers from all over. This wouldn't happen unless there is a massive influx of EXCESS death, above the normal baseline.

Obesity also seems to be a major co-factor for serious debilitation, and USA is #1 in that too with 40% of the adult population obese.

As for the debates on follow the money, you wouldn't pay for funeral arrangements/refrigeration unless someone actually dies. There's no arguing that.

Duaner #3011077 08/07/20 07:46 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
New Zealand had one of the earliest and harshest lockdowns and has effectively eliminated the virus. There is no excess deaths signal in New Zealand.

KevinM #3011083 08/07/20 08:08 AM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by KevinM
New Zealand had one of the earliest and harshest lockdowns and has effectively eliminated the virus. There is no excess deaths signal in New Zealand.

I wonder how they record their death figures? Example - in the UK we record them very dishonestly and unscientifically, whereas in Ireland, for example, they record them more honestly and more scientifically. Result = Ireland appears to have lower death rate than the UK. Whereas in actual fact this is misleading.

I would venture that some of these deaths are an illusion. Not so much in the fact that the people died, but in the fact that they did not in fact die of Covid.

The U.S. for example has ramped up their testing significantly. Hence the increased number of cases, and number of deaths attributed to Covid.

I think there's no denying Covid, as such, however, until we get a more standard way of recording deaths globally between Countries, it is very hard to actually compare them in any kind of scientific way.

Originally Posted by jeffcat
iThis wouldn't happen unless there is a massive influx of EXCESS death, above the normal baseline.

Assuming you're correct (I have seen some claims that the number of excess deaths is actually lower than last year in some countries) - what demographic are the excess deaths contained within? for example - age group.

This seems to be a very specific disease demographic-wise. I think these demographics have not been protected enough, while other demographics have been unnecessarily locked down. Hence the OP losing half of their business. It's as if science has just been chucked out of the window at this point, and I hope that it gains traction again, otherwise this will turn in to a truly grotesque and ludicrous situation driven by panic and hysteria (as it has been already). Largely from the media, who see an easy payday.

Zaphod #3011094 08/07/20 08:47 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Originally Posted by KevinM

I wonder how they record their death figures? Example - in the UK we record them very dishonestly and unscientifically, whereas in Ireland, for example, they record them more honestly and more scientifically. Result = Ireland appears to have lower death rate than the UK. Whereas in actual fact this is misleading.

I was talking about all deaths, because it is hard to know from recorded deaths whether those deaths because of covid are under or over estimated. Because New Zealand got this under control so quickly with a harsh and protracted lockdown, there was no excess deaths in their data. So we know from NZ experience that lockdown itself has little impact on excess deaths outside of saving peoples lives from corona virus.

Whereas in the UK by mid July excess deaths were around 65,000 for the year.

Last edited by KevinM; 08/07/20 08:49 AM.
Zaphod #3011100 08/07/20 09:11 AM
J
J
This seems to be a very specific disease demographic-wise. I think these demographics have not been protected enough, while other demographics have been unnecessarily locked down. Hence the OP losing half of their business. It's as if science has just been chucked out of the window at this point, and I hope that it gains traction again, otherwise this will turn in to a truly grotesque and ludicrous situation driven by panic and hysteria (as it has been already).

Any serious pandemic will proportionally impact the older and weaker more.

That's not to say the younger population is not infected, they just won't die from it. We can not selectively quarantine by age group and health condition, because the statistics clearly show, there are people in danger despite outwardly healthy signs.

The longer any ONE-Person behaves as if the pandemic does not affect him, in the grand scheme, the LONGER the pandemic will affect him. It may not kill you, but it Affects you Greatly, be it job prospects, economy, education opportunities, personal growth, piano shopping, pricing, tuning, regulation.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/07/20 09:17 AM.
jeffcat #3011101 08/07/20 09:15 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
This seems to be a very specific disease demographic-wise. I think these demographics have not been protected enough, while other demographics have been unnecessarily locked down. Hence the OP losing half of their business. It's as if science has just been chucked out of the window at this point, and I hope that it gains traction again, otherwise this will turn in to a truly grotesque and ludicrous situation driven by panic and hysteria (as it has been already).

Any serious pandemic will proportionally impact the older and weaker.

That's not to say the younger population is not infected, they just won't die from it. We can not selectively quarantine by age group and health condition, because the statistics clearly show, there are people in danger despite outwardly healthy signs.

Sorry but younger people have been dying from Covid. Some with co-morbidities and some without. The mortality incidence rate is lower but the impact of long range health issues is unknown.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Duaner #3011104 08/07/20 09:30 AM
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
My son has been in the funeral business for over 35 years and he receives cause of death information that so many times is listed as the virus but he knows is a lie.

As for performance venues the one I worked for canceled the 2020 season in mid March and they hope to get the 2021 season going in January.

RPT
PTG Member
Duaner #3011119 08/07/20 10:29 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
A good percentage of those who survive are left with permanent organ damage. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...onavirus-kidney-damage-caused-by-covid19

I agree with Jeffcat in that one reason cases are climbing and we will be dealing this for some time to come is because too many people are failing to take it seriously.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Duaner #3011159 08/07/20 12:41 PM
J
J
We were under a stay at home order for a long time, so I have only been back for about a month now.I have also lost over half my business, at least temporarily. I am pretty much working part time lol. However I am encouraged by the fact that piano sales are up. Also many people have told me that they started practicing again during quarantine. So I believe the private clients will compensate for some of the loss. Its tough to entirely tell since summer is always slow anyway. Especially August. Of course the music scene here in NYC has been decimated. That along with piano bars and Jazz clubs. I believe it will be some time before the music scene returns to close to normal if ever. So long term we will see what happens.

jeffcat #3011185 08/07/20 01:40 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Any serious pandemic will proportionally impact the older and weaker more.
Not true, the 1918 flu disproportionately killed younger people aged 20-40, and in our lifetime the 1997 H5N1 disproportionately affected people born after 1968. In both cases it was because older folks had an exposure to a similar virus in the past, which circulated before younger people were born. So older people had some immunity to the new virus.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
jeffcat #3011186 08/07/20 01:42 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
The longer any ONE-Person behaves as if the pandemic does not affect him, in the grand scheme, the LONGER the pandemic will affect him. It may not kill you, but it Affects you Greatly, be it job prospects, economy, education opportunities, personal growth, piano shopping, pricing, tuning, regulation.

To be fair, the thing that has affected job prospects, economy, etc. is the Government reaction to the pandemic, not the pandemic itself.

Originally Posted by dogperson
Sorry but younger people have been dying from Covid. Some with co-morbidities and some without. The mortality incidence rate is lower but the impact of long range health issues is unknown.

The mortality rate amongst the young is so low as to be negligible, from what I understand. In fact, in some Countries, it is said that the average age of patient who dies from Covid is actually higher than the actual average age of death full stop in that Country.

Originally Posted by Loren D
I agree with Jeffcat in that one reason cases are climbing and we will be dealing this for some time to come is because too many people are failing to take it seriously.

I doubt it. This is a virus and it will do its thing. One of the main reasons cases are rising is that testing is increasing. Taking it seriously only delays the inevitable. There is something to be said for that, as it eases the burden on the health systems, but ultimately there is not much we can do to stop the spread of a virus, and it's always been that way. Look at the common cold, TB, etc.

The illusion here is that all this arbitrary ruleset will in any way have an impact long term on teh spread of this virus, which I suspect is just a political move to appease the frightened masses.

This will probably act like any other viral outbreak. It will circulate the globe, then calm down, either through immunity or through mutation in to a weaker less effective state. It will, however, never actually disappear. And this will be exactly in line with most other viruses.

Best thing we can do IMHO is protect the vulnerable (we now know who they are) , and aside from that try and keep the economy afloat, and perhaps most importantly place an emphasis on general health, immune systems, diet, etc.

The way that most Governments are floundering around like a one-armed boxer with a blindfold on worries me far more than the virus at this point TBH - it's like science went out of the window a few months ago, and superstition and hysterical panic took over.

Duaner #3011193 08/07/20 02:00 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
BTW - I realise that I'm talking slightly against the grain here, and don't mistake me for an irresponsible person, I follow the rules. But I do like to get things in proportion.

One thing I'll add is there does seem to be a lot of disagreement amongst the scientific community about Covid currently, so I'm not sure it's a clear cut case of "right" and "wrong". They obviously need more time for research and experimentation.

One needs to ask oneself "How many deaths or reduction in quality of life has lockdown and Covid measures caused"? And the estimates are quite worrying a lot of the time. Some say it has caused more damage than the virus itself. Far far more damage.

Duaner #3011221 08/07/20 03:02 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just recently studied a chart in which Covid cases keep going up, but the common flu and pneumonia have practically disappeared. Another chart shows that in countries Hydrochloroquine is used Covid Fatality rate is hovering around 1.5%. Where it is banned The fatality rate is 16% which is practically impossible. So there is a lot of manipulation of the numbers. The Spanish Flu BTW was also a man-made disease and was caused by the Typhoid vaccine which was forced onto the troops, hence the average age of the deaths. The called it the Spanish Flu to hide the medical blunder. The Spanish Flu had a 2% Fatality rate and ended up killing 50 Million people.
I was fortunate when Covid hit that I had two years of work lined up. So i'll probably be affected in a delayed fashion. I have always been somewhat of a prepper, so I have a several year supply of food available and just got off City water it case it gets rough. Good luck out there, get prepared.
-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
Chernobieff Piano #3011229 08/07/20 03:27 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I just recently studied a chart in which Covid cases keep going up, but the common flu and pneumonia have practically disappeared.

Yes. Exactly.

Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I have a several year supply of food available

Lentil curry, Lentil stew, Lentil hot pot, Lentil soup, Lentil casserole, Lentil sandwiches, Lentil smoothy, Lentil cake.

There are some of my cooking suggestions for you. You're welcome laugh - however, don't forget to sterilise each and every lentil before you begin with industrial strength anti viral spray. I hear that eleven times is the correct number for a complete anti-covidation of lentils. For beans, it's 9 times.

Zaphod #3011251 08/07/20 04:24 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
One needs to ask oneself "How many deaths or reduction in quality of life has lockdown and Covid measures caused"? And the estimates are quite worrying a lot of the time. Some say it has caused more damage than the virus itself. Far far more damage.

Exactly the reason why I brought up New Zealand, a harsh strict lockdown that many said continued for far longer than necessary. Effective at eliminating corona-virus and New Zealand shows no excess deaths, whether corona virus or not. At least in New Zealand with its exceptionally harsh lockdown, the lockdown did not result in excess deaths, perhaps New Zealanders are exceptional, I think not, they are mortal like the rest of us.

Duaner #3011267 08/07/20 04:49 PM
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Came home from a tour in south east Asia May 1968 and there were many people dying from Hong kong flu and if memory serves, not even the military was concerned.
Home just in time to do back up riot control at the dnc convention in Chicago August same year and only recall gas masks for us, no one else had masks.
How about that, history trying to repeat progressively.

RPT
PTG Member
Duaner #3011284 08/07/20 05:32 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
And of course the money being spent to "help" those affected is not REAL money. It is literally being made out of thin air. Trillions upon trillions of $ being created out of nothing. How responsible is that? A recipe for disaster. Only time will tell.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Favorite mass?
by chopinetto - 09/23/20 06:51 PM
Dilemma-help
by Cutec - 09/23/20 05:35 PM
Vose & Sons Serial Number(s)
by piperbill - 09/23/20 05:03 PM
Buying first piano - Kawai 506n
by hmm2135 - 09/23/20 03:45 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,783
Posts3,006,179
Members98,650
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission