2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (aphexdisklavier, clothearednincompo, drumour, dorfmouse, Alex.G, CyberGene, David B, chrisbell, 8 invisible), 461 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Make sure You try a lot of different lamps - Even ones outside of Your budget

Unfortunately, since making returns these days is tricky, I probably won't try any, just buy one... And the ones I've seen that are out of my budget are really out of my budget! :P

I think I'll get something under $100 that will work in another part of the house, then I'll have light at the piano (where I need it now) and can save up for something really interesting should I decide to get something else in the future.

And yes, I'll post a pic even though it probably won't be very fun! :P

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by David-G
ShiroKuro, thank you for the kind words! Yes, the music desk of the Bluthner is lovely - this was their standard design of music desk at that period (1880s). I got the floor lamp about 20 years ago - the disc is part of the lamp. I have no idea who the manufacturer was, and I would be surprised if it was still available. But you might well find something with a similar halogen spotlight. Or more likely, perhaps, LED these days. Though I do think that there is something rather special about halogen light.
Hi David with those beautiful pianos you own and their delicate finishes you may want to avoid halogen lamps as they may fade the stained surfaces as they emit UV lights. On my older piano there was a slight fading of the satin surface of my kawai grand under halogen spotlight cans. Barely noticeable but I observed the change over 12 years. I now use only LED bulbs in those spotlights as there is no UV.

Working on:
Preludio: Bach/Rachmaninoff E Major Sonata for Violin

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
I have this LED floor lamp from Amazon, currently $60 Floor lamp. Its footprint is quite small and it is unobtrusive. The LED disc at the top is very bright at its maximum setting (of 3), and can be tipped and turned to direct the light where you want it. The lamp sits to the left of my piano, in the corner, and I don’t see the light source at all (I hate glare, but need bright light): the light bounces off the wall/ceiling. Love it. Good luck in your search!

"Serena," my Estonia L168.
K
K
The Cocoweb floor lamp has been a lot cheaper recently: $168.00. I bought a couple more recently.

My only gripe is that the arm is a little too short, and you can't bring the lamp to the center of the piano. However, having a long slight source means you don't get a harsh shadow around your hand, which I've found quite distracting. Also, another thing I like about the Cocoweb is that I can point the light towards the keyboard and the desk, so that there is no light directly hitting my eyes.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I just saw this one when I was searching out the Cocoweb lamp. It might have the flexibility to work. There are different finishes for it.

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/dawson-dark-bronze-pharmacy-floor-lamp__42d35.html

David

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
That is how I position my lamp, with the light angled toward the music desk and keyboard. Slightly toward the front of the piano so there is no shadow line on the keyboard.

David

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ken Iisaka
The Cocoweb floor lamp has been a lot cheaper recently: $168.00. I bought a couple more recently.

My only gripe is that the arm is a little too short, and you can't bring the lamp to the center of the piano. However, having a long slight source means you don't get a harsh shadow around your hand, which I've found quite distracting. Also, another thing I like about the Cocoweb is that I can point the light towards the keyboard and the desk, so that there is no light directly hitting my eyes.

They are cheaper on Amazon, but I do not need another one so I haven’t fully investigated the differences.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Well that was fast. First, I ordered this (the lamp, not the piano, har) and it was delivered today:
[Linked Image]

Mr. SK put it together, and there were immediately two problems. 1) It's not stable enough, and 2) the light-head doesn't swivel, so you can't angle it toward the music stand. So Mr. SK took it apart and packaged it back up, and it's getting returned. Too bad, because I really liked the way it looked. But indeed, as you all advised me, you get what you pay for. whome
Here's the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I ended up ordering this cheapo and I can save up for something fancy and expensive (and then this lamp could go somewhere else in the house). I could have gotten the $170 Cocoweb floor lamp, but after seeing all the super interesting ones that are more like $300 and up, I decided to save for one of those. In the meantime, I still need to see! So $40 and done, for now. Hopefully it wont be very noticeable once it's set in place. Here's the lamp and the link.

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Well it looks stable and rather nice !
The worst scenario would be if a lamp fell over onto the piano ,making marks on your lovely piano ShiroKuro.
I just have a hotch potch collection of a few small lamps and one tall (really heavy)brass standing lamp with a stained glass ,rather nice cover.I make sure it stands on the hardwood edge of the floor and not on the carpet.(too unstable on the carpet)
Best wishes with your new lamp.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I've always thought those old pianos with built-in candle holders or lamp holders look very cool. But I've always wondered if the player actually got much light onto the score when the holders are so far off to the sides in most of the pictures that I've seen.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I wondered how many scores were set fire but those.

David

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by supersport
I wondered how many scores were set fire but those.

I've thought that myself! grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by FrankCox
I've always thought those old pianos with built-in candle holders or lamp holders look very cool. But I've always wondered if the player actually got much light onto the score when the holders are so far off to the sides in most of the pictures that I've seen.

Don't forget that in the days before electric light, candlelit rooms would have been very dimly lit. So a couple of candles fairly close to the score might have made quite a difference.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Ok, I didn't like the other lamp that came. I don't like having it at my left elbow, and I don't like the light it gives. So I decided I need to get something I can put behind me. So, here are the last (hopefully!) options.

1. Lamp I already own:

[Linked Image]

The other options, which I would put in the same spot as above (behind the piano bench), are:

2. Disc lamp
[Linked Image]

3. Double cone lamp, in which case I would angle both shades upward:

[Linked Image]

4. Triple shade lamp:
[Linked Image]

Any opinions about which one would look nicest?

To summarize, the options now are:
1. My lamp (with the double stem)
2. The round disc lamp
3. The double cone lamp
4. The triple shade lamp

I feel like the cone lamp would work with the colors in the room, and the triple shade lamp would be nice with the black lines...

Again, thanks in advance! (I need an interior decorator...)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
I was thinking of trying one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-Sparq-Arc-Floor-Lamp/dp/B06VXWQX52

Review video:
https://www.amazon.com/vdp/12f98b23ee9647afafbb1f637b0c9f45?ref=dp_vse_rvc_2

Has anyone tried this style of lamp? It meets the under-$100 budget requirement.

First love: Kawai GX-6
Yamaha Motif XF8
Tektronix MSO4104
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Marianne
Haven’t tried it but it looks like it would be great for music scores as the light range is wide and bright.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Marianne, that is exactly the kind of lamp I was originally interested in... Plus I love how interesting it looks. And from the video, one good thing is that the light seems to come to the middle of the keyboard.

But after trying the two lamps I've tried so far, I don't think I could deal with that bright light right over my head, and it couldn't be used if I were playing for guests (which I used to do a lot before covid) because it would be unpleasant for someone sitting facing into it. I was actually surprised to find the LED light so unpleasant when it's in my line of sight or in my peripheral vision.

Here's a photo from one of the reviewers:
[Linked Image]

Imagining people sitting in a semi-circle around the piano, my violin-friend standing in the curve of the piano, I think the light would be unpleasant because of how it would be everyone's kine of vision.

So for all those reasons, I am thinking to get something behind me, hence the options I listed above. Marianne, you may like it though, I think the light would work well in many instances. If you get one, please share a photo!

I hope someone will comment on the new options I listed, I'm having a hard time making up my mind. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
[...]
So for all those reasons, I am thinking to get something behind me, hence the options I listed above. Marianne, you may like it though, I think the light would work well in many instances. If you get one, please share a photo!

I hope someone will comment on the new options I listed, I'm having a hard time making up my mind. smile

You need to be careful about where "behind you" you put your new lamp. You don't want the shadow of your upper body and/or head either on the music or on the keyboard. It could be distracting if part of the keyboard were in light and part (near the centre of the keyboard) in shadow. The lamp would have to be to one side of "behind you;" experimenting should solve that problem.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Well I Iike the flowering plant ! I probably do not need say it ,but it should not be there.
Oh I know I am just no sport ! It goes well with this thread though.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/08/20 08:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
I personally don’t like the cone lamp as the ones I have used don’t have a wide range. I would try the disc.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
re-felting hammers
by tjazz - 04/18/21 09:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,084,002
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission