2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Any Roland FP-30 owners out there? If you could comment on whether you always use the Piano Partner 2 app to change settings on the keyboard, or if you've gotten used to the "hold down function and press whatever key" to change settings that would be appreciated. I would love to get the FP-60 instead for the bigger speakers, line outs and a proper user interface on the keyboard itself, but I could buy a 2nd FP-30 for that much extra . . .

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had owned a FP-30 in the past. I used it all the time which was very convenient and easy to use.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Tyr
I had owned a FP-30 in the past. I used it all the time which was very convenient and easy to use.
Was the piano a pain to use if you didn't have a device handy for the app? And how did you like the FP-30? I'm back and forth between that and the Yamaha 125-I prefer the Roland action, but the 125 has line outs, onboard rhythms, and buttons for all functions.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I don't usually use the app. I find the buttons just fine most of the time. The app has some extra rhythm patterns and such, which are fun.

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Oh, and the "headphone out" works just fine as a line out into an amplifier and what have you.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
I don't usually use the app. I find the buttons just fine most of the time. The app has some extra rhythm patterns and such, which are fun.
Cool thanks! And the downward facing speakers . . . I have a home made piano table; are the speakers going to sound bad on a shelf? I could probably cut some holes to match in my desk if I have to . . .

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Hmm, hard to say in advance, but yah, I could imagine they would be muffled. But that's what saws are for. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've never used the app, and most likely never will.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano Tone
Any Roland FP-30 owners out there? If you could comment on whether you always use the Piano Partner 2 app to change settings on the keyboard, or if you've gotten used to the "hold down function and press whatever key" to change settings that would be appreciated. I would love to get the FP-60 instead for the bigger speakers, line outs and a proper user interface on the keyboard itself, but I could buy a 2nd FP-30 for that much extra . . .

I prefer the “hold down [Function] and press whatever key”. Originally, I used a cheat sheet, which turned into colored sticker dots, until I got it memorized. My most used functions:

Sounds:
- 3 pianos
- 2 jazz organs
- clavinet
- acoustic bass
- harpsichord
+ layers
+ keyboard splits

Rhythms:
- Quick BPM select
- Built-In Rhythms
- Time Signatures
- Beat accents
- Numerical Keys

General Functions:
- Speakers on/off
- MIDI control on/off
- Set MIDI channel

Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Oh, and the "headphone out" works just fine as a line out into an amplifier and what have you.

I agree, the FP30 headphone outs at full volume are basically line level and give a nice strong signal. It seems to be designed to run comfortably/clean at max volume; it does not overdrive/distort the built-in amplifier. I always use max volume out to a mixer or audio interface.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Z
Z
i use piano partner to turn on and connect my ipad to fp30 via bluetooth, so I could use a piano learning app. for some reasons, trying to connect directly using my ipad's bluetooth setting does not work

P
OP Offline
P
If you have a chance to use the app it does offer some additional features; if you only use the onboard buttons you are limited to the layering and split voice combinations (they have to be within different categories - so you can't layer harp over strings for example because they're both in "other") - with the app you can do this. And there are also 42 rhythms in the app. Anyhow happy playing!

D
D
I have the FP 10 but it does have the same hold function then press key thing you mention. Honestly I like that. It limits the amount of buttons on my keyboard while keeping functionality. I actually don't like those keyboards with huge bodies on top of the keys with all those screen and notes and what not. I don't always need them so it's good that I don't see them every time I go to my piano. The speakers on the bottom is kinda weird but overall I find the design to be perfect. (I'm only a beginner btw)

The app itself I actually don't use at all except when tweaking some things like sensitivity. There are some sample sounds only available in the app too for some reason.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission