2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So I finally got a chance to test the CA48 and CA58 today but it was a huge open room so very hard to compare the sound to my Young Chang Y185 which is in a smaller room and corner so that I know is also emphasizing bass. In any case, from that test, I was more impressed with the more robust sound of the CA58 so I think the CA58 is at the top of my list over my original goal which was the new CA49.
BUT, I was wondering, if I may be able to find the CA78 under 3K (the original budget was maxed at $2500 but I may go up to but no more than 3K if needed).
Is the CA78 such a big improvement over the CA58? Anyone has any good places to get it at a good price (and if not tax then much better)?
I am mostly considering Kawai because I like how it feels even though the CA58 I tried did feel lighter than my Grand but not bad at all, felt very nice to me just a bit lighter.
I am in the USA.

Thank you!!!

O
O
I wouldn't buy either. Best to save up for the 99 which has a wooden soundboard.

Yamaha P-515
Kawai K-300
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by onaiplatigid
I wouldn't buy either. Best to save up for the 99 which has a wooden soundboard.
Or better yet, keep saving more and just but a real Shigeru Kawai SK...

Anyone with some feedback based on the info on the OP?

K
K
I suppose it might depend on what's most important to the OP: on-board sound/rendering or action?

For 3k, you might be able to snag a CA-79 which is the latest.

Check the 'prices paid' sticky thread as well.

I got a good deal at Alamo Music in San Antonio, Texas - and they ship anywhere. (But they don't use piano movers to ship). I contacted them on their website chat and told them what I wanted to pay, and it worked out well.

As for comparisons between CA-58/59 and CA-78/79, well, I can't say I'm much use. Except the CA79's (GFIII) action is amazing to me.

*Edit: I said "on-board sound/rendering" because any deficiencies there can be overcome with the use of VSTs... not sure if the OP is into that sort of thing, or might be interested.

Last edited by kimby; 08/05/20 10:18 AM.

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kimby
I suppose it might depend on what's most important to the OP: on-board sound/rendering or action?

For 3k, you might be able to snag a CA-79 which is the latest.

Check the 'prices paid' sticky thread as well.

I got a good deal at Alamo Music in San Antonio, Texas - and they ship anywhere. (But they don't use piano movers to ship). I contacted them on their website chat and told them what I wanted to pay, and it worked out well.

As for comparisons between CA-58/59 and CA-78/79, well, I can't say I'm much use. Except the CA79's (GFIII) action is amazing to me.

*Edit: I said "on-board sound/rendering" because any deficiencies there can be overcome with the use of VSTs... not sure if the OP is into that sort of thing, or might be interested.

I see a lot of comments about finding low prices like that but I never seem to be that lucky. If I could find the CA79 for 3K then I would likely go for that one. I am going to try Alamo, thank you!!
And no, I don't plan to do any VSTs, (I was ALL about that years before and still got plenty of those but for now, this piano is going to replace my grand until things change in my life. After reading more, I feel the 78/79 will last me longer than going with the 58.

Thanks!!

Last edited by shaolin95; 08/05/20 10:58 AM.
C
C
I bought the CA58 rather than the 78. More for budget reasons. I liked the 78 better.

To me, the 58 has a heavier action. I changed it to the "light" setting and that has helped. The action takes getting used to, but, it does give a good workout for the fingers.

The one thing I wish it had is bluetooth audio (like the 78 and the new CA59). I have patch my iPhone into the audio jack if I want to play along with music, etc. However I could get a bluetooth to audio device for this.

Otherwise it's a good digital. But if you can get the 78/79, go for it.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ctopher7
I bought the CA58 rather than the 78. More for budget reasons. I liked the 78 better.

To me, the 58 has a heavier action. I changed it to the "light" setting and that has helped. The action takes getting used to, but, it does give a good workout for the fingers.

The one thing I wish it had is bluetooth audio (like the 78 and the new CA59). I have patch my iPhone into the audio jack if I want to play along with music, etc. However I could get a bluetooth to audio device for this.

Otherwise it's a good digital. But if you can get the 78/79, go for it.
I am trying to locate a CA78 at a good price right now. THanks for your feedback!!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
For those looking for the Alamo Music price on the CA79, don't waste your time. I called them and apparently other dealers called and complained to Kawai. That ship has sailed!

Marcus

Marcus Valdes

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mivaldes
For those looking for the Alamo Music price on the CA79, don't waste your time. I called them and apparently other dealers called and complained to Kawai. That ship has sailed!

Marcus
Dang it, my timing is always the worst

K
K
MAN that SUCKS!

So Kawai works to keep the prices artificially high. Because apparently Alamo Music was still making a profit even though they were giving good prices.

I am so happy I was able to get a CA79 at a good price, and I am so sorry for those who now can't. Maybe there are other dealers who will work with you.

There's nothing to lose by contacting as many dealers as you want!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is common in many retail product lines ...
MAN that SUCKS!
So Kawai works to keep the prices artificially high. Because apparently Alamo Music was still making a profit even though they were giving good prices.
Manufacturers often throw their weight around, and pressure dealers to sell above a specified minimum price.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Most dealer agreements have defined territories. The vast majority of manufacturers, not just this one.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
MAN that SUCKS!

I am so happy I was able to get a CA79 at a good price, and I am so sorry for those who now can't. Maybe there are other dealers who will work with you.

There's nothing to lose by contacting as many dealers as you want!
I called a couple and the situation is worse than I thought. They wont ship to my state because we have an authorized dealer and Kawai will not allow any other dealer to sell to a state which already has a dealer so I am at the mercy of the local dealer. That Fing pissed me off. Maybe I will look into a different brand instead.
Not finding any used ones either so far smirk

Last edited by shaolin95; 08/06/20 07:05 PM.
You seem to think your situation is bad ... but it's not.

And your attitude won't help.

Just because you can't work a deal with Alamo doesn't mean you're "at the mercy of the local dealer."
To the contrary ... your local dealer is at your mercy.
He needs to sell pianos. He needs customers. He needs your money.
Never forget that.

I think you need to fix your attitude. Really.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
You seem to think your situation is bad ... but it's not.

And your attitude won't help.

Just because you can't work a deal with Alamo doesn't mean you're "at the mercy of the local dealer."
To the contrary ... your local dealer is at your mercy.
He needs to sell pianos. He needs customers. He needs your money.
Never forget that.

I think you need to fix your attitude. Really.
Are you for real now? Do you even know me? Do you even know my local dealer and ever had to deal with them??? Basically you have ZERO knowledge yet you are already figuring it all out. Show some respect if you want to be respected! Perhaps you should be the one making changes to your life before trying to "fix" people you do not know.
Seriously, that is what I need, some random internet self-righteous stranger telling me how I need to live my life.
I got actual useful advice from other members already so take your "recommendations" somewhere else.

Last edited by shaolin95; 08/06/20 07:48 PM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Let's keep the personal coaching out of this conversation please.

Greg
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BB Player
Let's keep the personal coaching out of this conversation please.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Most dealer agreements have defined territories. The vast majority of manufacturers, not just this one.

Absolutely right.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Going to a local dealer to try the CLP-675. Since new models are coming out maybe is a good time to take a look at that one and then drive to the Kawai dealer to test the CA78 (luckily they are not too far from each other).

K
K
Originally Posted by shaolin95
They wont ship to my state because we have an authorized dealer and Kawai will not allow any other dealer to sell to a state which already has a dealer so I am at the mercy of the local dealer.

Yes I heard that a few times and I got pissed off as well.

But that's when I found Alamo, back when they were doing great deals. I never contacted the Kawai showroom (which was in my area).

So, it's possible that if you call 10 dealers, you might hear this 10 times. But call 20, and you might find one willing to work with you. It is super annoying. I contacted a number of dealers who never bothered to get back with me. I assume they didn't need my money.

Or maybe another manufacturer with more reasonable pricing and policies will have a model that appeals to you. I have my fingers crossed for you in your search!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission