2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
35 members (Harpuia, Keith D Kerman, ejlamas, David B, Gretel, 9 invisible), 374 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is this reasonable? Yamaha P125 malfunction
#3010170 08/04/20 01:28 PM
C
cjlin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi, I recently bought a P125 from a reputable online music shop (4.6 stars on Google), but the piano came with two stuck keys. The online shop sent me a video to teach me how to fix it by myself (by shaking, lifting or pressing the keys). Yet, one of the keys is still broken.

The shop staff then told me that I had to print out a return label and drop the instrument off at a Fedex location by myself. The piano is very heavy, and I don't think I can do it all by myself. (Most of my friends are out of town due to COVID.) What's worse is that I don't have a car. The staff asked me to use Uber (out of my own pocket), sympathetically saying, "I know it's a hassle." And that was the end of the online chat.

Is this return process reasonable? I don't think any Uber drivers would help me deliver the piano. (And the piano with the box probably wouldn't fit in a normal Uber anyways.) What should I do to protect my rights?

Thank you!!

Last edited by cjlin; 08/04/20 01:35 PM.
Re: Is this reasonable? Yamaha P125 malfunction
cjlin #3010176 08/04/20 01:43 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The P125 isn't particularly heavy for a digital piano, at 26 pounds. I would not accept a solution that involves you having to fix it yourself. Fortunately, it sounds like they're paying the return shipping, which is not always the case (and is rarely included on the warranty from the actual manufacturer).

Either wait until you have a ride (assuming you're not past the return period) to the Fedex drop-off location, take a taxi, or pay the extra charge to have it picked up from your home, or try to convince the seller to pay for that extra service.

This is one of the reasons why I like giving a well-managed local store a chance for these sorts of purchases. If things go sideways, I can usually tell them to "deal with it". The cost of shipping things is becoming increasingly expensive these days.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
cjlin #3010177 08/04/20 01:43 PM
S
S
Note: I'm in the UK

I had a recent run of bad luck with some Kawai pianos being faulty; with an ES110, an MP11se and 2 MP7se units all being bad (due to stock levels I ended up changing model rather than waiting for some time for replacements to come in stock). These came from 2 different stores here in the UK, purchased online (gear4music and bonnersmusic) and at no point did I pay for or have to arrange myself the postage.

In all cases the store arranged a pickup and then either refunded (It was on finance so basically this just meant cancelling the finance agreement) or replaced the unit (in the case of the first MP7se).

As a result, other than repeated finance agreements being made and then cancelled which has undoubtedly hurt my credit rating, I'm out of pocket a total of £0 since even the original postage cost (which was included in the finance) was cancelled out.

So no, I don't think it's acceptable.

Yamaha P515
cjlin #3010217 08/04/20 04:37 PM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Ask Yamaha.

Will they tell you to talk to the shop?

Or will they have other channels for warranty issues?

cjlin #3010221 08/04/20 04:55 PM
J
J
The P-125... is definitely... not heavy at all. How far is the FedEx location? If it's close, you can just walk there with the P-125. If not, just Uber there. I feel for you, that money for the Uber shouldn't be coming out of your pocket. Maybe you're getting things mixed up: are you sure it's a P-125 or is it something a lot heavier like the P-515? P-125's are very, very light.

Last edited by joemama42O; 08/04/20 05:00 PM.

Finally bought the P515
cjlin #3010248 08/04/20 06:15 PM
C
cjlin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you all for the advice.

Right, P125 is not as heavy as many other digital pianos, but it's heavy enough for me to carry around in the original box. That's why walking to Fedex is not an option. Uber has a new policy that passengers can only sit at the back, but I'll give UberXL a try.

I was going to return this defective P125 in exchange for a new P125. I think it's unfair for me to drop off this defective product by myself. I kind of regret not having bought the piano from Amazon.

cjlin #3010250 08/04/20 06:18 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by cjlin
Thank you all for the advice.

Right, P125 is not as heavy as many other digital pianos, but it's heavy enough for me to carry around in the original box. That's why walking to Fedex is not an option. Uber has a new policy that passengers can only sit at the back, but I'll give UberXL a try.

I was going to return this defective P125 in exchange for a new P125. I think it's unfair for me to drop off this defective product by myself. I kind of regret not having bought the piano from Amazon.
Maybe someone can help you with carrying it? Are you SURE it's not a P-515 (which is very heavy)?

Finally bought the P515
cjlin #3010255 08/04/20 06:42 PM
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by cjlin
Hi, I recently bought a P125 from a reputable online music shop (4.6 stars on Google), but the piano came with two stuck keys. The online shop sent me a video to teach me how to fix it by myself (by shaking, lifting or pressing the keys). Yet, one of the keys is still broken.

The shop staff then told me that I had to print out a return label and drop the instrument off at a Fedex location by myself. The piano is very heavy, and I don't think I can do it all by myself. (Most of my friends are out of town due to COVID.) What's worse is that I don't have a car. The staff asked me to use Uber (out of my own pocket), sympathetically saying, "I know it's a hassle." And that was the end of the online chat.

Is this return process reasonable? I don't think any Uber drivers would help me deliver the piano. (And the piano with the box probably wouldn't fit in a normal Uber anyways.) What should I do to protect my rights?

Thank you!!

1. I'm frankly surprised at all the manly-man responses here saying how light the P-125 is. True, it's no MP11, and it's probably one of the lighter DPs around as things go. But as far as packages sent through the mail and things you have to carry, yes, it can absolutely be a burden, particularly if you're slight of build or any number of other reasons. And some folks don't have the common luxury of an on-demand car. So you absolutely have my sympathies. And suggesting you hoof it with a fully packaged DP box under your arm....wow.

2. It's understandable, but IMO unacceptable for the shop to expect you to self-help and "solve" the problem by jiggling keys around. Having a DP arrive with non-functioning keys is not acceptable, and given how much styrofoam is used in packaging, it's indicative of some transit abuse (being bumped/tossed around a delivery van or warehouse). For me, if a new DP arrives in that condition, it goes back.

3. It's understandable, and reasonable, though unfortunate, that the only return option is Fed Ex dropoff. I think the important thing is that the shop is covering the cost of return shipping, that's good. A lot of unscrupulous places will try to have you cover that cost, which can be significant. It's also not unreasonable for the shop to assume you have reasonable transportation to the dropoff point, though yes, it's time and money out of your pocket. IMHO, that's part of the risk you take when you buy online, you're saving upfront cost, but taking a chance on something that may cost you down the road.

4. As to how to approach this, I don't know what Uber charges, but do you have a Zipcar or other short-term rental option available--maybe it would be less? How about Lyft or another Uber clone (or even a taxi)? Perhaps you could ask a friend for a lift? Maybe you can call FedEx and ask if they can schedule residential pickup (perhaps for a fee)? You might try calling the shop and seeing if they have another delivery option that includes residential pickup (perhaps one you can pay for, e.g., UPS).

Best of luck. It's understandably frustrating to receive a damaged/broken product, even moreso to deal with the hassle of returns. As terminaldegree mentions, this is one of the benefits of dealing with a local shop (though for a P-125, they might expect you to deliver the unit back to the store as well).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
cjlin #3010288 08/04/20 08:39 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Call the store, have them arrange pickup on their dime, If they refuse, just call the credit card company for charge back.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Guitar Center Mulls Restructuring
by newer player - 10/30/20 12:44 AM
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,598
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission