2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
43 members (dng, Damien PG, djvu10, computerpro3, bsntn99, 36251, 14 invisible), 401 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CA-79 or CA-78
#3010101 08/04/20 06:40 AM
K
karelh Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hello,

I am looking for a digital piano that would serve as a main practice instrument for me (I have an acoustic upright, but I do not want to bother everyone when I am practicing a new piece :-). I have originally thought about going in the portable direction (and actually got RD-2000), but in the end I have realized that I cannot get a sound I would like out of it (or it would probably have been too much of a hassle, so I returned it in the end). I had a chance to try CA-79 and NV-5 in a store (along with other high-end digital pianos like Yamaha N1X), and I have quite liked the CA-79 at its price point (~3700USD which I guess is higher than the prices I saw for Satin Black version in the Prices paid topic, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a cheaper offer in Czech Republic). The main reasons why I consider CA-79 are:
- I really like the action (I know I should like the hybrid action of, e.g., NV-5 more, but for some reason it didn't work for me - I even found the action really slow on NV-5 for some notes. Perhaps the unit was partly faulty?)
- The SK-EX Rendering sound is really gorgeous
- If I understand it correctly, I can use Bluetooth headphones with the piano

However, I have stumbled upon an older CA-78 for just ~2800USD on sale (unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try that out as it is not on display). I am wondering, what are the key differences between CA-78 and CA-79? I guess that the key difference is a newer generation of action in CA-79 (I have read somewhere here on the forum that some claim that Grand Feel II is spongy, on the other hand I have also read about some quality issues related to CA-79/CA-99 in the owner's club). Apart of the action, are these pianos the same? (especially sound-wise) I am also uncertain whether Bluetooth headphones connectivity is available on CA-78 (I saw Bluetooth audio in the specifications, but I am not sure whether it does not only mean that the piano itself can be used as Bluetooth speaker system).

I will be happy for any advice :-) Thanks a lot!

Re: CA-79 or CA-78
karelh #3010110 08/04/20 07:41 AM
T
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I even found the action really slow on NV-5 for some notes. Perhaps the unit was partly faulty?

Seems like a regulation issue.

Kawai Novus NV5 // Yamaha P-115 on Garritan CFX | Pianoteq Standard | Minigrand | VI Labs Modern U
Ex: Yamaha: NU1X, CLP-685, CLP-545, YDP-164, YDP-140 | Kawai: NV10, CA-98 | Roland: FP-30
karelh #3010128 08/04/20 09:38 AM
Hi, I have a CA99, and just wanted to let you know that you can Not connect Bluetooth headphones to it. The Bluetooth connection is for connecting audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer to the digital piano.

2PianoCats #3010227 08/04/20 05:15 PM
K
karelh Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Tyr
Seems like a regulation issue.
I thought that the NV-5 cannot be that bad :-) However, it is out of my intended budget anyway. I was originally planning just to get a mid-range slab keyboard. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 2PianoCats
Hi, I have a CA99, and just wanted to let you know that you can Not connect Bluetooth headphones to it. The Bluetooth connection is for connecting audio from your smartphone, tablet, or computer to the digital piano.
Thanks a lot for the clarification! I must have misunderstood the product description.

One more question came across my mind. Dealers in Czech Republic typically provide 3 years of warranty for CA series (as for other instruments). In many other countries (including Germany and UK), however, I have seen that 5 years is provided. Do you know whether the 5 year warranty applies even here, or it is indeed just 3 years? Thanks!

karelh #3010264 08/04/20 07:27 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by karelh
One more question came across my mind. Dealers in Czech Republic typically provide 3 years of warranty for CA series (as for other instruments). In many other countries (including Germany and UK), however, I have seen that 5 years is provided. Do you know whether the 5 year warranty applies even here, or it is indeed just 3 years? Thanks!

The warranty is honoured by the distributor, therefore if the dealers in the Czech Republic are quoting a 3 year warranty for instruments purchased within the country, I believe this is correct.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #3010478 08/05/20 12:57 PM
K
karelh Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Kawai James
The warranty is honoured by the distributor, therefore if the dealers in the Czech Republic are quoting a 3 year warranty for instruments purchased within the country, I believe this is correct.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks a lot Kawai James for the clarification! I have probably one more question related to warranty. I am a bit worried by some of the reports in the Owner's club topic about quality issues of CA79/CA99. I am wondering, whether these issues (especially the buzzing sound as seen, e.g., here, issues related to the speakers and "clicking" action) are covered by the warranty? I really liked the CA79 when I test-played it in store, but the possibility of getting a "faulty" unit gets me somewhat nervous. (Especially since lugging it back to the store would have been rather difficult.) I have seen that many of these issues can probably be fixed by Kawai technician without actually having to move the piano around. Do you know whether the services of Kawai technician are available in Czech Republic? Thank you!

karelh #3010706 08/06/20 07:11 AM
Online Content
Hello karelh,

In the event that your Kawai digital piano develops a fault during the warranty period, it should be resolved by the dealer.

Whether this support requires the instrument to be sent to the dealer, or if the dealer sends a technician may depend on the dealer's policy. My recommendation would be to double-check the warranty with your dealer before purchasing.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heads up: Free Sean Chen Live Streaming Concert Sept 24th
by computerpro3 - 09/23/20 10:07 PM
Favorite mass?
by chopinetto - 09/23/20 06:51 PM
Dilemma-help
by Cutec - 09/23/20 05:35 PM
Vose & Sons Serial Number(s)
by piperbill - 09/23/20 05:03 PM
Buying first piano - Kawai 506n
by hmm2135 - 09/23/20 03:45 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,784
Posts3,006,189
Members98,650
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission