2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
57 members (Beowulf, EBerlioz, Brian Hagen, David B, CyberGene, bobrunyan, ando, AlphaBravoCharlie, 11 invisible), 482 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hey need help to wire digital piano. Same line signal
#3010085 08/04/20 03:23 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello, i need help to make one thing to work. So now i will try my best to explain. Things i need to connect together Kawai ES110, laptop, headset with mic. I take private piano lessons on discord i want to send sound from my piano and mic SIMULTANEOUSLY. I also have to listen person on discord and hear the piano in my headset (preferably not to toggle between channels) not through piano speakers so i don't disturb other in my house. How to make it work as cheap as possible without fancy stuff, i believe this can be done with just right jacks and right wiring. if u scroll down u can see what ports that my digital piano have https://www.kawai-global.com/product/es110/
So in short, piano and microphone same line to discord. piano sound and discord same line to my headphones.

Re: Hey need help to wire digital piano. Same line signal
makentoxpiano #3010091 08/04/20 04:11 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello makentoxpiano,

I expect you will need to use a mixer of some kind to combine the ES110's Line Out audio and your microphone. If the mixer also has a built-in audio interface, you'll be able to connect it directly to your computer and pass the audio through to Discord, while monitoring the sound from the mixer's headphone output.

Probably the most affordable mixer that offers this functionality is the Behringer Xenyx Q502USB:
https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ALL

In order to turn off the ES110's speakers, you'll need to follow the instructions below:

[Linked Image]

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
makentoxpiano #3010157 08/04/20 12:36 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
One missing consideration:

The mic on your headset (if it's a standard "computer headset" or "gaming headset"), needs a small "bias voltage" to work:

. . . No standard mixer will supply that voltage.

My suggestion:

. . . Get an inexpensive _dynamic_ or _condenser_ "lavalier microphone", which _will_ connect to the mixer's
. . . . microphone input.

An example:

https://www.amazon.com/Cardioid-Microphone-Panasonic-Camcorders-Recorders/dp/B07GKH6W4M

That one is a condenser mic, and needs "phantom power", which KJ's's suggested Behringer mixer will supply(*). It sounds pretty good in YouTube videos testing low-cost mic's.

The incompatibilities between "computer audio" and "pro audio" are subtle, and bridging that gap is tricky.

(*) -- Tricky, indeed. The Xenyx 502 mixer KJ recommends _doesn't_ supply the correct phantom power voltage. For that, you need to get the Xenyx 802 (or 802 USB) mixer.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 08/04/20 12:45 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
makentoxpiano #3010164 08/04/20 12:52 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

There are differing opinions about the Xenyx 502's "phantom power" (do a Google search to see the flames):

. . . The Xenyx 802 works _for sure_ with condenser mics.

I own one, and have used it with several condenser mics.

. Charles
makentoxpiano #3010210 08/04/20 04:24 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your answer Charles and James! It took a while to figure out terms you used. Im pretty much newbie when it comes to tech stuff. My headset with microphone is Sennheiser Gaming One model, headphones and mic are connected to my PC in and out AUX 1/8 jacks. I really want some basic but functional setup because its only be used for piano lessons.
My only goal is to play piano without disturbing other in my apartment, so piano sound should only be heard by me and my teacher. While im playing we should be able to communicate with him without toggle or plug in and out all the time. Also will mixer change audio from my digital piano at the end? I would like to have exact same original sound that i used from my piano, your examples has lot of knobs, looks like its equalizer.
Also i wonder why simple wiring wont work using just Y splitters? Logically, lets say i connect Y splitter to mic aux port in my PC and connect piano and mic to it. This way it will become 1 channel physically? So now my piano is quiet, i transfer signal from mic and piano to my PC into Discord. So i have my headset pluged into PC aux so i can hear discord, at this point i need to figure out how to listen my Piano through PC, hmm will some kind of software will do this trick? So will this trick with signal in Y splitter work at all?
If what i wrote above is not going to work why do i need mixer and i cant just use an audio interface? So if i go mixer way i have to get that condenser mic? Again its only for lessons and this setup will never be used for nothing else (for sure until i learn piano well enough). Between lessons i simply plug my headphones into piano headphone port and practice silently.

Last edited by makentoxpiano; 08/04/20 04:30 PM.
Charles Cohen #3010236 08/04/20 05:34 PM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
My suggestion:

. . . Get an inexpensive _dynamic_ or _condenser_ "lavalier microphone", which _will_ connect to the mixer's
. . . . microphone input.

An example:

https://www.amazon.com/Cardioid-Microphone-Panasonic-Camcorders-Recorders/dp/B07GKH6W4M

That one is a condenser mic, and needs "phantom power", which KJ's's suggested Behringer mixer will supply(*). It sounds pretty good in YouTube videos testing low-cost mic's.

Alternative suggestion: https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-BOYA-Omnidirectional-Condenser-Recording/dp/B07TG9212V

This one does not require phantom power; it does need an LR-44 coin cell though, depending on where it is connected. On smartphone or laptop, the battery is not needed and the ON/OFF switch stays "OFF". For camera, DSLR, mixer, the battery is required and ON/OFF set to "ON". So far I am very satisfied with it, good sound overall and good build quality.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
makentoxpiano #3010679 08/06/20 02:59 AM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
EVC2017 --

. . . Thanks for the tip, that's a nice feature.

. . . Also i wonder why simple wiring wont work using just Y splitters? Logically, lets say i connect Y splitter to mic aux port in my PC and connect piano and mic to it. This way it will become 1 channel physically? So now my piano is quiet, i transfer signal from mic and piano to my PC into Discord. So i have my headset pluged into PC aux so i can hear discord, at this point i need to figure out how to listen my Piano through PC, hmm will some kind of software will do this trick? So will this trick with signal in Y splitter work at all?

Yes, the Xenyx mixers have tone controls. They are _very_ useful.

The tricky part, in all of this, is making sure there are _no_ feedback loops, and arrange the levels so that your voice is roughly as loud as the piano, to your teacher.

With an acoustic piano, you might get lucky, and use the same mic for your voice, and the piano sound. But with a DP (that you want to play silently), you need to combine the voice mic, and piano "Line Out" (or headphone) signals to feed to the PC:

. . . the easiest way to do that is with a small mixer.

You could look into using "virtual audio cable" software ( vb-audio.com ), and a digital mixer running inside the PC to control the signal levels, and an inexpensive audio-to-USB "audio interface" like the Behringer UCA222, to feed the piano sounds into the computer, and a "USB microphone" (there are a lot of them) to feed your voice into the digital mixer running in the computer.

. Charles

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practice schedule
by Pilotryan - 09/18/20 09:34 AM
Pedal curve?
by MacMacMac - 09/18/20 05:59 AM
achieveable "bucket list" pieces
by Lingyis - 09/18/20 04:05 AM
What are these chords
by ManishP - 09/18/20 03:39 AM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,691
Posts3,004,131
Members98,581
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission