2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
57 members (Beowulf, EBerlioz, Brian Hagen, David B, CyberGene, bobrunyan, ando, AlphaBravoCharlie, 11 invisible), 482 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Casio GP-500 vs Roland LX706?
#3009804 08/03/20 11:03 AM
L
LFYM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi all,

I currently own a Roland HP505, and I'm in the market looking for an upgrade. I narrowed my choice down to these two pianos, as I'm not a fan of Yamaha digitals and Kawais are too expensive and hard to find where I live.

I read pretty much every thread on the GP-500, and "hybrid piano" discussions aside, it seems the consensus is that it has a good action, comparable to the high-end series of the other three brands, but not quite to the true hybrid pianos. On the LX706, people seem to just really like the action of Roland pianos overall, although the sounds are not everyone's cup of tea. Nevertheless, I seem to hear better opinions on Roland's sounds than on Casio's.

Did not quite find a thread comparing the two, however. Price aside, what is everyone's opinion on the two?

Thanks!

Re: Casio GP-500 vs Roland LX706?
LFYM #3009813 08/03/20 11:26 AM
Our school bought a Casio AP-700, which I think is Casio's top-of-the-line piano apart from their "hybrids". I profoundly dislike the sound, it's very poor and has a extremely short decay. If the sound of the GP-500 is the same, or even a little better than of the AP-700, then IMO the Roland is definitely better. I have a Roland FP-80, which I think is of the same generation of your HP-505. It's miles ahead of the Casio, both on sound and action. But, I don't know the Casio's "hybrids", if they have a much better sound engine and how good are their actions.

Yamaha JX113; Roland FP-80 & FP-7F; Garritan CFX; Steinberg UR22mkII; Sennheiser HD 579 & HD 569; Zoom H5.
Me on YouTube: Duo Matschulat
LFYM #3009820 08/03/20 11:54 AM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Some time ago I tried a lx708 and a gp500 very shortly.

From that limited experience i remember the roland was disappointing to me, and on the contrary the gp500 suprised me in a positive way.

LFYM #3009835 08/03/20 12:43 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Now there are already the GP-510 and AP-710 and I think Casio announced some "piano sound updates" when the GP-x10 series "hybrids" were introduced. At least the dynamic range was mentioned and probably the sustain length too.

So, the GP-510 might be better.

...but I don't really know all the details.

And of course both the GP series and the AP-7x0 models have three different piano sounds. (And some minor variations of each three.)

LFYM #3009845 08/03/20 01:06 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by LFYM
Hi all,

I currently own a Roland HP505, and I'm in the market looking for an upgrade. I narrowed my choice down to these two pianos, as I'm not a fan of Yamaha digitals and Kawais are too expensive and hard to find where I live.

I read pretty much every thread on the GP-500, and "hybrid piano" discussions aside, it seems the consensus is that it has a good action, comparable to the high-end series of the other three brands, but not quite to the true hybrid pianos. On the LX706, people seem to just really like the action of Roland pianos overall, although the sounds are not everyone's cup of tea. Nevertheless, I seem to hear better opinions on Roland's sounds than on Casio's.

Did not quite find a thread comparing the two, however. Price aside, what is everyone's opinion on the two?

Thanks!
I recently bought the LX706. I did compare both the GP310 and the LX708. The 3 sounds of the Casio are quite passable imitations of the Bechstein, Steinway and Bosendorfor pianos and the action is good, though I found the keytops a bit slippery, which is what some other people have commented on. I had hoped to do far more comparisons but because of lockdown ended up buying the LX706 and it actually turned out very well. The action is good and as I commented before they have sorted out the note envelope and that has enormously improved the sound giving it much better clarity. I did alter the character of quite a few notes to make them more 'even' and the tuning to 440 from 442 but that's all. They basically have two sounds, the American and the European with minor variations on these two. I just use the European 1 with the changes noted.
I think you will find both good and really it is a question of trying them out, if you can. Another reason for choosing the Roland was I wanted something that was likely to last, unlike some brands, though Casio is probably ok in that respect.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
Colin Miles #3009854 08/03/20 01:38 PM
L
LFYM Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by matschulat
Our school bought a Casio AP-700, which I think is Casio's top-of-the-line piano apart from their "hybrids". I profoundly dislike the sound, it's very poor and has a extremely short decay. If the sound of the GP-500 is the same, or even a little better than of the AP-700, then IMO the Roland is definitely better. I have a Roland FP-80, which I think is of the same generation of your HP-505. It's miles ahead of the Casio, both on sound and action. But, I don't know the Casio's "hybrids", if they have a much better sound engine and how good are their actions.

Yeah, I hear some bad opinions on Casio's sound, especially on the decay of the notes. It seems some of the newer models have attempted to fix this, but I'm not sure to what extent they have been able to.

Originally Posted by U3piano
Some time ago I tried a lx708 and a gp500 very shortly.

From that limited experience i remember the roland was disappointing to me, and on the contrary the gp500 suprised me in a positive way.

I hear many people are surprised with the GP500, especially the action. Looking forward to testing it.
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Now there are already the GP-510 and AP-710 and I think Casio announced some "piano sound updates" when the GP-x10 series "hybrids" were introduced. At least the dynamic range was mentioned and probably the sustain length too.

So, the GP-510 might be better.

...but I don't really know all the details.

And of course both the GP series and the AP-7x0 models have three different piano sounds. (And some minor variations of each three.)

Yep, seems it was quite a serious issue on the GP500 from what I hear. Wonder if someone who played them both could chime in?

Originally Posted by Colin Miles
Hi all,

Thanks!
I recently bought the LX706. I did compare both the GP310 and the LX708. The 3 sounds of the Casio are quite passable imitations of the Bechstein, Steinway and Bosendorfor pianos and the action is good, though I found the keytops a bit slippery, which is what some other people have commented on. I had hoped to do far more comparisons but because of lockdown ended up buying the LX706 and it actually turned out very well. The action is good and as I commented before they have sorted out the note envelope and that has enormously improved the sound giving it much better clarity. I did alter the character of quite a few notes to make them more 'even' and the tuning to 440 from 442 but that's all. They basically have two sounds, the American and the European with minor variations on these two. I just use the European 1 with the changes noted.
I think you will find both good and really it is a question of trying them out, if you can. Another reason for choosing the Roland was I wanted something that was likely to last, unlike some brands, though Casio is probably ok in that respect.

It really seems like, as far as I hear, the only issues with the GP500 action are that it is slippery and maybe too light? What were the major differences you felt between the two actions, Colin?

LFYM #3009858 08/03/20 02:03 PM
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I would try to play both for as long as possible before deciding.

I really don't care for Roland piano sounds because they just don't sound real enough to me; close-ish but far enough away to grate on me significantly. However, I would try very hard to like the Roland's piano sounds because if you can like them then they are very good pianos with a range of good pianistic behaviours and a good key action.

I've played the GP500 - creaky el-cheapo cabinet and questionable taste in the execution of their somewhat tacky badges but yes, the action is good - very fast and may well prove very reliable; I don't believe I've read a single comment about GP action problems. The 'Bechstein' sample is also okay. If I really wanted a Casio I'd be sure to check out the updated GP510. I think sample length was mentioned as one possible upgrade on the 510.

It's a tough choice but if you like (or can at least live with) the Roland's piano sounds then that's the route I'd go.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 |
LFYM #3009985 08/03/20 07:18 PM
P
P
Hi all,

Thanks!

Have not tried Casio, but I have a similar piano to you - Roland HP 507 which I purchased 6 years ago after trying possibly every available digital piano in the price range between $500 and $10000.
I temporarily moved for work now but I could not move HP 507 here, so I was looking for something portable to play and purchased Roland FP90. It turned out to be upgrade to HP 507 in every way except speakers - as I like Roland piano action and sound, and just wanted something more responsive and improved version of it, not a completely different piano make, and FP 90 fit this profile perfectly. Modeled sound does not bother me, it is still the same Roland signature sound, with more variation to it.
Given LX706 has newer /better action and sound engine than FP90, I imagine this would be upgrade to HP 505, too, if you like Roland overall.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
LFYM #3010081 08/04/20 03:02 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
It really seems like, as far as I hear, the only issues with the GP500 action are that it is slippery and maybe too light? What were the major differences you felt between the two actions, Colin?
Not much difference between the actions. Both good. As far as the decay is concerned that is not now an issue. 3 years ago I had tried the previous GP500 model and that lacked volume and probably decay. The new models seemed to have fixed these problems. With the keytops you should try yourself.

Roland LX706

South Wales, UK

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practice schedule
by Pilotryan - 09/18/20 09:34 AM
Pedal curve?
by MacMacMac - 09/18/20 05:59 AM
achieveable "bucket list" pieces
by Lingyis - 09/18/20 04:05 AM
What are these chords
by ManishP - 09/18/20 03:39 AM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,691
Posts3,004,131
Members98,581
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission