2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (Charles Cohen, A. Lucato, dng, clothearednincompo, CyberGene, dhull100, ambrack, 10 invisible), 400 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai NV5: Educational Features
#3009695 08/02/20 11:40 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I’ve been doing research on the NV5, and would like to learn more about the Educational Features

Below’s a list of Lesson Songs, from the product specs

Burgmüller 25 (25 Etudes Faciles, Opus 100)
Czerny 30 (Etudes de Mécanisme, Opus 849)
Czerny 100 (Hundert Übungsstücke, Opus 139)
Beyer 106 (Vorschule im Klavierspiel, Opus 101)
J.S. Bach: Inventionen
Sonatinen Album 1
Chopin Walzer (Chopin waltzes series)
Chopin Etudes (Opus 10)
Alfred’s Premier Piano Course Lesson 1A
Alfred’s Premier Piano Course Lesson 1B
Alfred’s Basic Piano Library Lesson Book Level 1A
Alfred’s Basic Piano Library Lesson Book Level 1B
Alfred’s Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson Book Level 1

I‘ve read a lot of threads on the NV5, & watched many YouTube videos as well, but I don’t recall the Educational Features being covered/explained. Do You access these Song Lessons through a device like an iPad. What’s the format like? Have NV5 users, particularly Beginners, found these Lessons helpful. How do the Educational Features on the NV5 compare to what’s available for the NU1X

Any & All feedback Welcomed!

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 08/02/20 11:41 PM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
Re: Kawai NV5: Educational Features
Lucubrate #3009701 08/03/20 12:35 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
It plays the songs from those method books, accessed via the Music menu. You can change the tempo of the song, enable metronome, and play along, etc. Here's a video I recorded with the Novus playing "Cafe Vienna" from the Alfred book:

Lucubrate #3009763 08/03/20 08:13 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have never once seen a student or teacher use these “features” on a digital piano. For me it’s just marketing.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Lucubrate #3009830 08/03/20 12:26 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, and these features are crutches at best.

I want a piano with only 88+3 features. A digital will, of course, require a few more controls.

But excessive "stuff" turns the piano into not-a-piano.
That's not for me.

Lucubrate #3009853 08/03/20 01:38 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
These method books like Alfred often come with a more expensive edition that includes a CD. The Novus just includes that CD music here with some extra perks.

The best somewhat educational feature on the Novus, if you have young kids, is Kawai's Concert Magic. It can definitely be fun for them, and if anything, teaches a sense of rhythm and feel for the music.

Lucubrate #3009989 08/03/20 07:49 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the comments

We’re a Family of Beginners, including a 12 year boy

I’ve been considering a DP, in order to have access to online educational material & apps, for example, Piano Marvel

Due to Covid - Piano Lessons have been put on Hold,.. & Who knows if/when things will return to normal

Initially, I was looking at the Yamaha CSP 170,... & since progressed to looking at Hybrids, & now, specifically, the NV5

In reading past threads, I’ve noticed multiple beginners have purchased the NV5. I was curious if They had found any of the Educational Material, provided w/ the NV5 or Kawai, helpful

Yamaha has Smart Pianist & other downloadable educational products, available to owners of some Yamaha DPs. Was curious if Kawai had something similar

~Lucubrate

Last edited by Lucubrate; 08/03/20 07:51 PM.

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
Lucubrate #3009992 08/03/20 08:06 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Due to Covid - Piano Lessons have been put on Hold,.. & Who knows if/when things will return to normal
You could try to find a piano teacher that will work with you online. I've been taking lessons from the same guy for years, and when the virus hit this spring he switched to teaching over skype or facetime. The first few weeks it was awkward getting things setup, but now I really like it and wouldn't mind if we never went back to in person lessons. Maybe I'll feel different if this lasts another year, but I don't miss the time spent driving and looking for a parking place.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Lucubrate #3009996 08/03/20 08:15 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
The Novus does not include any significant Kawai apps for teaching how to play the piano, however, external apps like Piano Marvel are supported via MIDI.

For external apps, the biggest perk of the Novus is Bluetooth MIDI. This will allow you to interface with apps on your iPad without needing to mess with any wires, although you may need to install a free app to enable the Bluetooth MIDI connection.

+1 to what MarkL said.

Since none of the school districts are resuming in-person this year, you can pretty much assume that in-person piano lessons will not be resuming either.

I was also reluctant to move to FaceTime lessons, but it's actually been working out for me once I got things set up. I would strongly recommend that you trial this with your teacher(s) if possible. I believe it's worth the investment at this point.

Lucubrate #3010001 08/03/20 08:32 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Burgmüller 25 (25 Etudes Faciles, Opus 100)
Czerny 30 (Etudes de Mécanisme, Opus 849)
Czerny 100 (Hundert Übungsstücke, Opus 139)
Beyer 106 (Vorschule im Klavierspiel, Opus 101)
J.S. Bach: Inventionen
Sonatinen Album 1
Chopin Walzer (Chopin waltzes series)
Chopin Etudes (Opus 10)
Alfred’s Premier Piano Course Lesson 1A
Alfred’s Premier Piano Course Lesson 1B
Alfred’s Basic Piano Library Lesson Book Level 1A
Alfred’s Basic Piano Library Lesson Book Level 1B
Alfred’s Basic Adult Piano Course Lesson Book Level 1

Well, let's take them one by one, then.

Burgmuller etudes - about 3 in the set are commonly played by early intermediates as pieces of repertoire.
Czerny - typically technical exercises done by intermediate to advanced pianists, seemingly randomly selected from the roughly 900 opuses of the composer. The most famous opus isn't represented here.
Beyer - an older beginner-oriented method, which has sort of fallen out of favor in the teaching circles I'm aware of, rarely used anymore.
Bach - the inventions are important, but what's the point of having them loaded on the keyboard? To play a good invention, your fingering needs to be well thought out and repeatable...i.e. you need the physical score.
Chopin waltzes - I don't understand the point of having them preloaded, unless you're trying to teach them by ear.
Chopin etudes - See above, but much more difficult.
Alfred series - this is useful only if your child is studying using Alfred, but it sort of ignores the other 900 pound gorilla in the room - Faber. Also, I find it terribly boring for a teacher to only employ one popular method with all their students.

I suspect the majority of this list (except for the Alfred stuff) was selected because it was in the public domain and free to use.

MarkL #3010017 08/03/20 09:09 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by MarkL
You could try to find a piano teacher that will work with you online. I've been taking lessons from the same guy for years, and when the virus hit this spring he switched to teaching over skype or facetime.

My current Teacher isn’t offering online Lessons (yet). I’ve considered finding someone new....

The idea of using online Apps, specifically Piano Marvel, in conjunction with Lessons (somehow, sometime) has an appeal of it’s own, particularly for the Boy, but honestly - with the whole Family

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

navindra #3010019 08/03/20 09:18 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by navindra
The Novus does not include any significant Kawai apps for teaching how to play the piano, however, external apps like Piano Marvel are supported via MIDI.

For external apps, the biggest perk of the Novus is Bluetooth MIDI. This will allow you to interface with apps on your iPad without needing to mess with any wires, although you may need to install a free app to enable the Bluetooth MIDI connection.

Excellent - Just what I was hoping to hear! Would appreciate feedback from anyone who uses Apps on Their iPads (or other devices) in conjunction with Their NV5s or NV10s. Particularly, what educational Apps They use, or would recommend

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

terminaldegree #3010025 08/03/20 09:38 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I suspect the majority of this list (except for the Alfred stuff) was selected because it was in the public domain and free to use.

Appreciate You taking the time & effort to comment on Those pieces

IIRC - You & another Gentleman played the NV5 at NAMM. Compared to the NU1X, You preferred the action of It (NU1X) over the NV5, but the Pedal Mechanism of the NV5 over the NU1X. Due to noise in the room - You didn’t offer an opinion between the Two, on Tone. Also, the Gentleman You were with, was not impressed with the NV5 at the time

Since then, have You had any opportunities to further evaluate the NV5? With It’s digital & online capabilities - Do You think it would make a Good practice instrument

Thanks again for Your feedback!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

Lucubrate #3010030 08/03/20 09:47 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi Lucubrate,

I have been around one NV5 since the show, but at the time I was assisting one of my own students in purchasing a portable slab. Also, I was trying not to touch things, for obvious reasons. England Piano in Atlanta has one on the floor right now, for what it's worth.

Digital piano stocks are pretty depleted at just about every store I've talked to recently.

Lucubrate #3010033 08/03/20 09:58 PM
P
P
In reading past threads, I’ve noticed multiple beginners have purchased the NV5. I was curious if They had found any of the Educational Material, provided w/ the NV5 or Kawai, helpful

I think the value of these functions and the printed material (quite a lot) is 'neutral'. It's not worth considering it in a purchase decision. You won't be able to sell it off separately. You probably won't use it at all. But if it was missing, potential buyers like yourself might attach a negative value to (the lack of) such material. It's risky not to include it, even though customers won't need it.

My books (CN37 and NV5) were kept in a drawer for 2 years. Then I found a use for them: sight-reading practice (play an unknown piece just once, and then never again). I'm always short on random music for this, in particular with such a clear and large print layout. Stuff from internet is often hit and miss for me. I like the traditional editions more, but to print them nice and well (border-to-border etc) I would spend more time on preparing than playing (once). For me, that's the value I found in the songbooks.

pppianomarc #3010040 08/03/20 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by pppianomarc
I think the value of these functions and the printed material (quite a lot) is 'neutral'.

Please note that these printed score books are not included with instruments sold in the US.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Arpeggio fingering question
by Jon999 - 09/19/20 07:36 AM
Roland Integra 7 , kc600
by dss862 - 09/19/20 04:31 AM
Is Casio PX-S1000 a right choice for me
by lehinsun - 09/19/20 12:02 AM
2 week layoff...
by AmyKaye - 09/18/20 08:53 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,704
Posts3,004,492
Members98,592
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission