2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
57 members (36251, cassdad, 3B43, Carey, anotherscott, bsntn99, Bett, 14 invisible), 441 guests, and 374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What kind of piano lamp should I get?
#3009448 Yesterday at 10:41 AM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Now that I've been working on a lot more new music, I'm playing from paper scores (as opposed to iPad) a lot more and I'm realizing I need a lamp to illuminate the score. My piano room doesn't have a ceiling light, there are two floor lamps in opposite corners. When I play from the iPad, it's fine and I never feel like I need more light. But when I play from a paper score, I need a light on the music (not on the keyboard).

My piano room is kind of cramped, and the corner where a lamp could go even more so. I don't want a lamp that sits on the piano, because I always keep my piano closed up when I'm not playing, and when I do play, I open the lid (as seen in the first photo). Although... I guess it wouldn't be impossible, I'd just be moving it all the time.

The shelf you see is where I put my iPad, glasses and other things while playing, but I supposed I could set a lamp there. The other option would be a floor lamp to go directly behind the piano bench (where that outlet it). I was originally planning to add more artwork to that wall, so if I put a floor lamp there, well, maybe an interesting one? But if would have to not take up a lot of space depth-wise because, again, it's kind of cramped there....

I would also rather not move around any of the artwork if I can avoid it.

Here are some photos for reference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ETA: I guess I'd like something interesting, since the idea was to put more art on that wall...
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; Yesterday at 10:43 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: What kind of piano lamp should I get?
ShiroKuro #3009450 Yesterday at 10:49 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
I bought a Cocoweb, LED dimmable, adjustable arm, floor lamp and placed it at my left shoulder. It is a slim design but will light the entire score. Highly recommended

https://www.cocoweb.com/piano-lamps/piano-floor-lamps/

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
ShiroKuro #3009454 Yesterday at 11:02 AM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Dogperson, yeah, that might be the best choice, placed on the left of the piano, sort of between the shelf and the window.

I was hoping for something a little less expensive though.... whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3009456 Yesterday at 11:12 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Dogperson, yeah, that might be the best choice, placed on the left of the piano, sort of between the shelf and the window.

I was hoping for something a little less expensive though.... whome

Maybe you can find something less expensive, but I didn’t. You want a lamp that will illuminate the entire score, evenly, without shadows. Far different from just an ambient room light.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

ShiroKuro #3009461 Yesterday at 11:18 AM
T
Online Content
T
I got the Cocoweb myself, but you might Google "pianoworld lamp". This has been discussed a lot before.

ShiroKuro #3009463 Yesterday at 11:21 AM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Dogperson, thanks for all of your comments, they're really helpful!

So I just read about that lamp on Amazon, one person gave it very bad reviews, complaining that the high treble end isn't well illuminated and the lamp causes confusing shadows. And they wrote that if you play for people with this light on, it is perpetually in their eyes. I do play for people (or I did, pre-covid) so that's one concern...

Your comment about ambient room light has me thinking. Given that I have two stick lamps, I think I'm going to take one of those and put it at various spots around the piano and that will give me some idea of the placement I want. Then I'll put that lamp back and can maybe narrow down the search based on placement...

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3009465 Yesterday at 11:26 AM
Tog Offline
Look at Benq (better known for their computer monitors) who manufacturer LED lamps designed specifically for piano use and a similar version that clips onto a computer monitor that may suit a Grand Piano's music desk better. These retail between £120 and £150 in the UK, so I'd guess multiple by approx 1.5 for US Dollar prices.

Standard: Absolute beginner. Currently butchering Bach BWV846!
Kit: Kawai MP11SE; Focal Alpha 80 monitors (pair); the original REL 'Storm' Sub-woofer from the early 1990's ( manufactured by BK Electronics Ltd on behalf of REL); Roland Z-Stand; generic studio style speaker stands; HP Grado SR60
ShiroKuro #3009466 Yesterday at 11:29 AM
Hi Shirokuro,

By any chance, have you tried something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/-/pt/Profess...mp;psc=1&refRID=PPYYQF8MYAVNQM45TXWP

This is the kind of lamp I use for studying paper (and even tablet) score, with very good results. I have a thin cloth covering the desk, to avoid damage, and clip the lamp to the desk, not to the score.By the end of session, I just remove it and put it over the (now closed) lid (also protected by a cloth).

But, of course, one can remove it completely and keep it somewhere else. I find this model actually quite easy and practical, also cheap and easily replaceable.

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
ShiroKuro #3009472 Yesterday at 11:45 AM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Tog, the Benq lamps are very stylish but it looks like they don't make a floor lamp, which is what I'm leaning to.

Fluxo, thanks for the suggestion, I did look at those but I'm thinking perhaps that's not what I want.

I'm leaning toward getting an inexpensive floor lamp with a bendy top, the cheap-o version of Dogperson's suggestion and without the.. what is that called, the cantilever part? Without an actual joint?

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3009474 Yesterday at 11:50 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I got the same Cocoweb lamp as dogperson and it may very well have been on his/her recommendation. I am far from an expert on lamps, but I think the series of LED lights on that lamp may give better illumination than one bigger bulb. I think these lamps are very stylish but yes, they are considerably more expensive than some other floor lamps.

ShiroKuro #3009475 Yesterday at 12:02 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Fwiw: looks like the lamp sold on Amazon is not the same as what is sold on the Cocoweb website

ShiroKuro #3009477 Yesterday at 12:10 PM
T
T
I second the Cocoweb lamp. Mine has three LED brightness settings and several pivot points so you can get the light right where you want it. Expensive but worth it.

Last edited by TBell; Yesterday at 12:16 PM.
ShiroKuro #3009478 Yesterday at 12:10 PM
K
Online Content
K
ShiroKuro - I do not have a helpful comment for you here, but I just wanted to say that you have a beautiful piano and a beautiful room! Excellent pictures. It's like something you would see on Houzz.com! It looks very warm and inviting.

I got a table-top style lamp for my upright-style digital piano. But I think it would not work for your setup. However, the wide format LED lamp with a sufficiently adjustable head has been working very well for me. A diffuser also helps eliminate shadows IMO.

I got this one, which I would never have tried out had it not been for the pictures that reviewers posted of using it on an upright.

It seems they also make a floor lamp of a similar variety, and much less expensive than the Cocoweb items. But I do not know if it would bend enough or work sufficiently for your use case.

Previous long-time owner of a Yahama P-120 (and love it) - now has new life with a student
Brand new owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
ShiroKuro #3009488 Yesterday at 12:33 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Dogperson, I'm sure you're right, considering that the one on Amazon is more than $100 cheaper.

Kimbby, thanks for the nice compliments! And for the links, I'll take a look. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3009520 Yesterday at 02:35 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I wanted a combination room light and piano light so I bought this lamp. I see you already have a room lamp, so this might be more than you want next to the piano. It came with CFL bulbs that I replaced with higher output LEDs. They have a couple different styles, one is more ornate.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
ShiroKuro #3009557 Yesterday at 04:09 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
You might put a small lamp on the shelf unit in the corner. That is basically the arrangement I have for my Bluthner, it shines in from the left in exactly the same way. I find this very acceptable and pleasant. I sometimes play in the evening with just that light, and with all the other lights in the room off - this engenders a rather warm intimate feeling.

Alternatively, you could adopt the arrangement I have for my Broadwood. There I have a columnar lamp which stands on the floor, which has a downwards-directed beam where the angle is adjustable. I position this so the light comes over my left shoulder and straight onto the music desk. This provides an excellent light and is altogether satisfactory.

ShiroKuro #3009558 Yesterday at 04:15 PM
L
Online Content
L
ShiroKuro

You’ve received some great recommendations

I just want to say Your Piano Room looks Wonderful

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
ShiroKuro #3009577 Yesterday at 05:28 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Lucubrate, thank you! smile

David-G, yeah, now I'm kind of waffling about whether to get a desk lamp or floor lamp...

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #3009585 Yesterday at 05:44 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Lucubrate, thank you! smile

David-G, yeah, now I'm kind of waffling about whether to get a desk lamp or floor lamp...

Whatever you decide to get - in your case, a good but slim-look floor lamp would better fit the bill in my opinion - don't necessarily go for the least expensive. There is some truth in "you get what you pay for," and a cheaper lamp may end up providing compromises you wish you wouldn't have to live with.

Just another thought.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
ShiroKuro #3009593 Yesterday at 06:06 PM
S
S
We got a slender "Koncept" LED floor lamp a few years ago which is similar in style to the slender Cocoweb lamp mentioned here. We use it for our piano and it works very well in providing bright, even illumination, but I don't recall it being particularly inexpensive, either. Something like in the +$300 range. We found the lamp at our local Lamps Plus store and they seem to have similarly styled, less expensive lamps on their website. They have a very large selection, so you might try looking at their floor lamp web page and setting their product filters for your tastes and seeing if any of the lamps tickle your fancy: https://www.lampsplus.com/products/floor-lamps/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bösendorfer, Valentina & Thunder
by Lucubrate - 08/03/20 05:43 PM
Experience with Henle Library App?
by WeakLeftHand - 08/03/20 05:17 PM
Piano learning apps
by SwfcDan - 08/03/20 05:04 PM
Finger pedaling- Who uses this technique?
by Jethro - 08/03/20 01:48 PM
Need help with wiring digital piano
by makentoxpiano - 08/03/20 11:06 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,688
Posts2,987,945
Members98,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission