2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, Bruce In Philly, Anglagard44, blueviewlaguna., ando, AWilley, cassdad, 3B43, Carey, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 431 guests, and 365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Upgraded from Kawai GM10 to a GX2
#3009329 Yesterday at 01:03 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I posted here recently about my considering an upgrade from a Kawai GM10 baby grand (5' 0") that we've had for about 10 years to a new Kawai GX2 (5" 11"), primarily for the benefit of our teen daughter who grew up learning how to play piano on the GM10. Was skeptical about whether the upgrade would be worth it and whether I would be even able to tell the difference but, wow, when our daughter played a few songs on the GX2 at the piano store the significantly better sound quality of the GX2 was immediately apparent even to me. The new piano really sings beautifully and puts more life into the familiar piano pieces that were played on the older piano.

I was considering going even bigger and getting a GX3 (6" 2") or maybe (if there were a good enough of a deal) even a GX5 (6' 7"), but I'm now glad that we didn't because the GX2 is plenty powerful enough for the size of the room that the piano is in.

One small item about the piano, though: We've noticed that one of the bass keys sounds a bit different from the adjacent bass keys on the piano. When the key is tapped the sound sounds a bit muffled even though it is playing the proper note (we checked with an iPhone app and confirmed that it is indeed close to the proper note). I opened up the lid of the piano and looked at the string corresponding to the problem key but didn't see any obvious difference between this particular string and nearby strings. Any ideas what the problem could be? I plan to call up the piano store that we bought the piano from on Monday to report the problem to see if anything can be done about it.

Anyway, aside from that little matter the new Kawai GX2 sounds great. Really happy with it and glad that we took the plunge to upgrade.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Upgraded from Kawai GM10 to a GX2
Sammy111 #3009343 Yesterday at 02:30 AM
L
Online Content
L
Congrats Sammy!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
Sammy111 #3009352 Yesterday at 02:52 AM
G
G
The one key that sounds different will probably be because of the felt or the string. Maybe the felt is harder or softer or something is wrong with the string (maybe it needed to be replaced and is therefore different).
Whatever the reason, your piano tuner will be able to handle it without too much of a problem.

Congrats to your new piano - I am jealous! You mentioned in your post that your daughter plays. Maybe you want to consider learning to play yourself - it’s a ton of fun!

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
Gretel #3009357 Yesterday at 03:11 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, Lucubrate and Gretel.
As for learning to play the piano, yes, you read my mind. I was so impressed by the sound of the new piano that earlier today I bought a book on piano playing for beginning adults and was slowly and studiously plonking out the melody of "Ode to Joy" on the new piano just awhile ago. I have a long way to go to catch up to my daughter, but on the other hand I'm recently retired so I have plenty of time to devote to a new hobby. Plus, after spending a career doing scientific research I figure that piano playing will be good exercise for the right half of my brain.

Sammy111 #3009364 Yesterday at 03:46 AM
G
G
Thumbs up!

W.Hoffmann T122, Roland FP-50, Roland RD-64
Sammy111 #3009397 Yesterday at 08:01 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Congrats on your piano and may you enjoy much plonking! Share a pic if you can.

I can’t tell you anything about that note that’s off, except to say it will surely be a quick fix, so don’t worry too much about it. Although, let us know what it was.

And if you’re interested in connecting with a bunch of adult beginner players, stop over in the Adult Beginners Forum here at PW:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/30/1.html

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sammy111 #3009411 Yesterday at 08:41 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Nice choice, I remember the thread when you were thinking about this purchase.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Sammy111 #3009445 Yesterday at 10:37 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on your grand piano upgrade! I'm happy for you!

Based on your discription on the offending bass note, it probably needs a minor adjustment. The piano store tech should be able to take care of that for you. Or, if you just play it a bit, it might take care of itself. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Sammy111 #3009470 Yesterday at 11:33 AM
Congratulations, Sammy111. Lots of fun playing your new GX2!

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
Sammy111 #3009505 Yesterday at 01:45 PM
H
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Kawai GX-2!

Sammy111 #3009517 Yesterday at 02:21 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Good for you, Sammi111! I had the opportunity to play a GX2 for about a week last summer. It was a very satisfying piano.

If your daughter has played several years, you may help the both of you by letting her teach you. By teaching you, she will have to manipulate, examine, and evaluate her existing knowledge in ways that her current means of learning do not utilize or require. Teaching you could have a very positive effect on the depth and breadth of her own understanding of what she learns.

Since you bought a beginner method book, I assume you are comfortable proceeding outside the traditional avenue of paying a professional teacher to teach you.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Sammy111 #3009553 Yesterday at 03:54 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, everyone. Also, will notify the piano tech to look at the key with the slightly muffled tone.

Will also look into the adult beginner's forum here on PianoWorld. As for my own lessons, I'm thinking of just starting off on my own learning the basics with a book and with the help of the two pianists in our family (daughter and wife) to correct any significant problems with the basics like hand positioning. We'll see how it goes. At some point in time I may take lessons from a professional teacher if I advance further.

Sammy111 #3009556 Yesterday at 04:03 PM
j&j Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Sammy111 on your new Kawai GX2! The key that sounds a bit off might just be new piano settling in. Pianos are incredibly intricate and strings stretch and wood and felt settle, so little things may show up and are typically an easy adjustment by your piano technician. Best Wishes that both you and your daughter can really enjoy your new GX.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
Sammy111 #3009675 Yesterday at 10:01 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations on your beautiful Kawai GX grand.The different sound in the string is probably something small and will probably just correct itself as the piano adjusts like J&J suggests.
Enjoy your wonderful piano!

Sammy111 #3009729 16 hours ago
K
K
Congratulations with your new piano!

Regarding the timbral difference you've noticed in the bass: I play an SK-2, which is of a comparable design to a GX-2. Even though the whole key range has beautiful transitions, there's a single place where I notice the transition between keys when playing forte/fortissimo, even if subtle, and that is from F#1 to G#1. F#1 and lower sound fuller, where G#1 has a different, slightly duller structure (at the extreme of the dynamic spectrum, that is). I discussed this with my technician, and he suggested that the subtle timbral shift is produced by a difference in string construction: F#1 has double copper windings, whereas G#1 has a single layer. This is something that might be levelled out, but my technician suggested that I live with it at least for a while, as it might settle in, or I may adjust to it myself, being only subtle.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bösendorfer, Valentina & Thunder
by Lucubrate - 08/03/20 05:43 PM
Experience with Henle Library App?
by WeakLeftHand - 08/03/20 05:17 PM
Piano learning apps
by SwfcDan - 08/03/20 05:04 PM
Finger pedaling- Who uses this technique?
by Jethro - 08/03/20 01:48 PM
Need help with wiring digital piano
by makentoxpiano - 08/03/20 11:06 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,688
Posts2,987,945
Members98,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission