2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
52 members (blueviewlaguna., ando, AWilley, 36251, cassdad, 3B43, Carey, anotherscott, bsntn99, 12 invisible), 440 guests, and 366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 55 of 56 1 2 53 54 55 56
Re: Kawai CA79 / CA99 owners club
Mart2 #3007303 07/27/20 11:30 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Mart2
Maybe useful, reviewing the NV10 Stu Harrison mentions (repeatedly!) that the volume setting affects the feel of the action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRmVVNxgIZ4
Yes. This is one of the most important things in digital pianos people tend to forget.

kimby #3007386 07/27/20 03:28 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by kimby
Originally Posted by Parkher
So, I got an AIO:
HP EliteOne 800 G4 Touch AiO PC i7-8700 23.8-inch

I'm glad to hear that with the CA99, a wall/VESA mount above the piano is not too high!

In my case, the bottom edge of the AiO is slightly below the top of the piano, but this AiO has a 3.5 cm. soundbar at the bottom so the actual screen begins perhaps 3 cm above the CA99 top which is 1 m 01 cm, I think. That is the bottom-most position, it is possible to raise it, though.
To make it any lower, the wall mount has to attached lower to the wall.
I was thinking perhaps using the AiO upside down, that would give me 3.5 lower screen.
But the cooling system pushes hot air out from the top, so I don't want to have this hot air affecting my highly polished CA99 from close distance.
I might still try it, because when I keep my hand at the top vents, I feel nothing. No hot or warm or any air. But it is impossible to rotate it 180°. It rotates a bit over 90° in either direction, but for upside down orientation I would need to re-atach it with 4 screws to the vesa mount.

I added another 16 GB of ram to it, so now it has 32 GB, also another 2 TB ssd

Are you going to install VMware and make this a virtual server host?? smile
Well, my several years old full tower has only 16 GB and cannot have any more, and I need more memory so badly. For the AiO I will probably never need too much memory even if I run all kinds of DAWs and sampled instruments, but memory is so cheap today, so why not, just in case.
BTW, one of best ways to use up memory is to open simultaneously hundreds of tabs in browsers, and I can do that on this new AiO. I already have it connected to CA99 by audio and playing music youtube videos on CA99 while playing along, as promised smile
And I have already installed Opera, FF and Chrome on it too.
With youtube, when playing one thing I see more suggested stuff that I want to check out, so I just keep opening new tabs. So yes, 32 GB may come in handy...

Last edited by Parkher; 07/27/20 03:31 PM.
Parkher #3007422 07/27/20 04:55 PM
K
Online Content
K
But the cooling system pushes hot air out from the top, so I don't want to have this hot air affecting my highly polished CA99 from close distance. .. I might still try it, because when I keep my hand at the top vents, I feel nothing. No hot or warm or any air.
That is a very interesting observation about the hot air! You'd probably only notice it under very heavy load, and only for short periods. But I'm not sure I would have thought of that!

BTW, one of best ways to use up memory is to open simultaneously hundreds of tabs in browsers
I resemble that on most of my PCs smile

I already have it connected to CA99 by audio and playing music youtube videos on CA99 while playing along, as promised smile

Ok THIS --- I am still not getting this part of the setup. I am using the built-in sound device with ASIO4All. When a VST is loaded, this takes over the sound output, which I have piping to my CA79.

How do you get VST sound and Youtube/etc sound to go out of the same line at the same time? I would consider this to be Nirvana! smile Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!

Previous long-time owner of a Yahama P-120 (and love it) - now has new life with a student
Brand new owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
kimby #3007476 07/27/20 06:50 PM
P
P
I already have it connected to CA99 by audio and playing music youtube videos on CA99 while playing along, as promised smile

Ok THIS --- I am still not getting this part of the setup. I am using the built-in sound device with ASIO4All. When a VST is loaded, this takes over the sound output, which I have piping to my CA79.

How do you get VST sound and Youtube/etc sound to go out of the same line at the same time? I would consider this to be Nirvana! smile Any helpful hints would be much appreciated!
Oh, I haven't tried any VSTs yet on my new AiO - I have it running for the second day only.
And I don't think I tried anything like that before.
But if you want some (un?)helpful hints, why not:

Solution 1. Try using ASIO Link driver.
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/3519-odeus-asio-link-now-available-free/
https://give.academy/downloads/2018/03/03/ODeusASIOLinkPro/

Documentation:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180318082746/https://o-deus-audio.com.au/Content/ASIO%20Link%20Technology.pdf

https://web.archive.org/web/20180318082455/https://o-deus-audio.com.au/ASIOLinkPro

NOTE: it is now free, if you see $89 or something - it is old information.

Solution 2. (Involves additional hardware):
Get an external hardware audio interface and an external hardware mixer.
Then mix together the low latency vst sound from your external interface together with the internal youtube sound from a regular audio out from your pc.
I haven't tried it myself, you still need an asio driver for the external interface (usually, its own) so I am not sure if it really works, although I've seen such claims. It may work probably because the asio driver is for that specific device only (and an external one) and does not affect anything else, unlike asio4all.

Solution 3. The mixture of the above two, with an external interface but with no mixer:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/3p7sg6/full_software_audio_routing_setup_with_asio_link/

BTW, some usb audio interfaces might have enough mixer functionality by themselves for solution #2. They have a usb input + some line inputs.
If not, here is a possible mixer:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_q502_usb.htm

Last edited by Parkher; 07/27/20 06:57 PM.
kimby #3007497 07/27/20 07:29 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You don't even need hundreds of tabs ...
BTW, one of the best ways to use up memory is to open simultaneously hundreds of tabs in browsers
I now have one Chrome window open, with three tabs: 865 MB. Ridiculous!

MacMacMac #3007563 07/27/20 11:42 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
You don't even need hundreds of tabs ...
BTW, one of the best ways to use up memory is to open simultaneously hundreds of tabs in browsers
I now have one Chrome window open, with three tabs: 865 MB. Ridiculous!
Good for you. You are not a hoarder!

Martinez #3008383 07/30/20 09:06 AM
H
H
Hello everyone! Finally, it is my turn to receive my CA99, and I am so happy with it!!

Small shade on the frame: I can distinctly hear, from let's say, 50% volume, a clear buzzing when i play notes on the lower register. It is not light at all, it is quite distinct, and really annoying on that type of price range. I saw that some of you had already been confronted with the issue, what did you do? Did your dealer issued some kind of assistance with warranty, or is it directly with Kawai?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Martinez #3008389 07/30/20 09:36 AM
D
D
As from next Wednesday I will be a new owner of a Kawai Ca99 in polished ebony.
Part exchanged my VPC1 for it from Bonners piano store in Milton Keynes,long drive to try it out but worth it in the end.

Kawai VPC1,True keys American,Ivory Grand pianos, Pianoteq 6.0 and Ravenscroft
Hikenkami #3008433 07/30/20 11:48 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Hikenkami
Hello everyone! Finally, it is my turn to receive my CA99, and I am so happy with it!!

Small shade on the frame: I can distinctly hear, from let's say, 50% volume, a clear buzzing when i play notes on the lower register. It is not light at all, it is quite distinct, and really annoying on that type of price range. I saw that some of you had already been confronted with the issue, what did you do? Did your dealer issued some kind of assistance with warranty, or is it directly with Kawai?

I'm curious myself, I can only repeat again that I had the same problem with CA98 and it was just loose screw, repaired by technician after few visits(it was hard to pinpoint)

Martinez #3008452 07/30/20 12:43 PM
K
Online Content
K
Congratulations, Hikenkami and daz100!

The longer I have my CA79, the happier I am with it.

Sure, there are a few bugs or annoyances here and there, but my main concerns (action and pedal), along with the cabinet/form factor (although the CA99 and EP are more beautiful!!), continue to make me happier all the time!

Previous long-time owner of a Yahama P-120 (and love it) - now has new life with a student
Brand new owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
Evgeny 85 #3008457 07/30/20 01:14 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Evgeny 85
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Old sound vs. new sound is not relevant. The old sounds were lame. The new sounds are lame. You solve that with virtual instruments.

If my only reasonable upgrades were CA-xx or CLP-xxx then I'd choose to just keep my CLP240.
The CA- and CLP-action upgrades aren't worth the expense of a new purchase, and neither are the sounds.
Your statement got me thinking. I plan to replace my CLP240 with Kawai CA79 or Yamaha 700 series if I get the chance to try them. Are there really no improvements in the keyboard action in 15 years?

Fwiw; I always assumed my 15 year old Yamaha would still be pretty much on par with more modern digital pianos. It took me about 10 seconds with a CA78 to change my opinion. I now have both a CA79 and an old Yamaha P140 and it's a night and day difference.

I suspect Mac and I do agree on this: in the end it doesn't matter what I or Mac think: find a dealership and try for yourself. If you don't care about the difference forget what I said. If you do care ignore what Mac says. You are the one playing on your instrument, so your opinion is what matters. smile

Nordomus #3008460 07/30/20 01:37 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by Hikenkami

I'm curious myself, I can only repeat again that I had the same problem with CA98 and it was just loose screw, repaired by technician after few visits(it was hard to pinpoint)
I am convinced something becomes loose and just needs to be tightened. It all depends on how rough is the treatment your CA gets on its way from the factory to your home.
Also, buzzing may be caused by something touching your CA from outside:
a hygrometer placed on top of it (in my case), a coil of the power/midi/audio/usb/etc. cable touching the soundboard from outside, etc.

Martinez #3009402 Yesterday at 08:12 AM
T
T
My CA79 just arrived yesterday! Delivered directly from a Kawai warehouse in Hamamatsu, the city of the Kawai headquarters, so it's straight from the source, haha. It's maybe a 3 hour drive from where I live.

The delivery guys were super nice and checked every key and the pedals upon putting it together. No problems at all for me with any of the keys or speakers.

And it's pretty amazing. I stopped playing piano for 11 years when I moved to Japan, but started playing again recently on a cheaper digital piano my friend gave me in February (Korg SP170S). It's been a good at-home hobby to do during this crazy year, and I'm excited to get more serious about it with a piano that better mimics an acoustic one.

Kawai CA79
Tzadeck #3009404 Yesterday at 08:14 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Tzadeck
The delivery guys were super nice and checked every key and the pedals upon putting it together.
Wow, respect for that. Usually noone bothers.

Martinez #3009417 Yesterday at 09:02 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Who’s ‘noone’? And why is he bothering?

Martinez #3009421 Yesterday at 09:09 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I meant delivery service usually is in a hurry and doesn't check if delivered item is ok.

Martinez #3009431 Yesterday at 09:51 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Oh, I see. blush

Nordomus #3009485 Yesterday at 12:25 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Nordomus
I meant delivery service usually is in a hurry and doesn't check if delivered item is ok.

More than anything I think it's just because Japanese consumers are notoriously picky and expect great customer service. There's an idea, for example, that if you come home from buying six donuts but realize the shop made a mistake and only put five donuts in the bag, if you call the shop someone should come bring you the extra doughnut even if it's past closing time.

Last edited by Tzadeck; Yesterday at 12:25 PM.

Kawai CA79
Martinez #3009631 Yesterday at 07:34 PM
Online Content
Hello Tzadeck,

I haven't heard of the doughnut example before, however I agree that the level of customer service in Japan is the best I have ever experienced.

Congrats on your new piano!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Martinez #3009671 Yesterday at 09:29 PM
O
O
Congrats with your new CA79, Tzadeck! smile

I'm also interested in getting the CA79, but havent pulled the trigger yet, cause of the upcoming CLP 700 series.
They are not available in my country yet, so didnt got the chance to actually play one.
This whole "Binuaral recording", through the headphones got me curious.... i guess thats why i am sitting it out, waiting for the overall feedback from other players.

How does the CA79 sound through the headphones? Even after a few hours of playing/practising? Are you content with it? smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1, KORG Pa4X Oriental
Page 55 of 56 1 2 53 54 55 56

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bösendorfer, Valentina & Thunder
by Lucubrate - 08/03/20 05:43 PM
Experience with Henle Library App?
by WeakLeftHand - 08/03/20 05:17 PM
Piano learning apps
by SwfcDan - 08/03/20 05:04 PM
Finger pedaling- Who uses this technique?
by Jethro - 08/03/20 01:48 PM
Need help with wiring digital piano
by makentoxpiano - 08/03/20 11:06 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,688
Posts2,987,945
Members98,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission