2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 154 of 237 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 236 237
W
W
I recorded a video of the creeking pedal. You can hear it pretty well-

https://streamable.com/1wzxv1

N
N
Saw your video and that's surely not right, and should be remedied. My sense is that you could fix it easily (and I have a few easy suggestions) but that you should just have Yamaha do the fix.

W
W
Originally Posted by NormB
Saw your video and that's surely not right, and should be remedied. My sense is that you could fix it easily (and I have a few easy suggestions) but that you should just have Yamaha do the fix.

Thanks Norm! I'll email my dealer and see what's up. Out of curiosity what are the few easy suggestions you have? I can only think of WD40 but don't wanna risk spraying stuff where I shouldn't.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Pete/Gom. The damper pedal rod rubs a bit on the (plastic/cloth?) bushing where it enters the pedal assembly. I don't think it is out of center. It just gets dusty after several months and starts to squeak. I just hold down the pedal and rub the pencil lead around the bushing. It works like a charm. However, I do still experience a slight cracking sound from the pedal box if I press the pedal too hard. Which I tend to do and am trying to correct.

Last edited by TomLC; 08/02/20 10:54 AM.

Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Doesn’t sound right. I’m wondering how easy it is to open the unit. I would try fixing it myself but that’s me smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Doesn’t sound right. I’m wondering how easy it is to open the unit. I would try fixing it myself but that’s me smile

My curiosity to figure out what is rubbing would compel me to attempt a DIY job.

I'm going to try pushing my pedal to the right and see if it makes the same noise.

God Bless,
David

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TomLC
Pete/Gom. The damper pedal rod rubs a bit on the (plastic/cloth?) bushing where it enters the pedal assembly. I don't think it is out of center. It just gets dusty after several months and starts to squeak. I just hold down the pedal and rub the pencil lead around the bushing. It works like a charm. However, I do still experience a slight cracking sound from the pedal box if I press the pedal too hard. Which I tend to do and am trying to correct.

So you’re saying the rod rubs on the bushing where it enters into a dusty center that has gone unattended for several months?

Rubbing around the bushing whilst holding down the rod -your approach- seems like a viable solution, but I wonder if the bushing could be soiled with excess rub in the process; therefore, causing the rod to slip a little to the left/right.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Beside the creaking sound and the left/right movement, it looks like you have one of those laminated wood flooring, am I wrong? If laminated wood flooring, then most likely there's some kind of padding underneath it. Depending on how thick this padding is (although it should not be too thick like with carpet padding), if you have the plastic screw just barely touching the flooring surface, any downward pressure from the foot may cause a little bit of vertical movement due to the padding underneath the laminated wood floor being squished down. You may need to screw it down a little bit more firmly than barely touching the surface.

Last edited by Volusiano; 08/02/20 11:19 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not WD40. Use a lubricant.
Originally Posted by woppa
I can only think of WD40 but don't wanna risk spraying stuff where I shouldn't.

But it might be best to first ask the dealer to attend to the problem.
Originally Posted by woppa
I'll email my dealer and see what's up.

W
W
Originally Posted by Volusiano
Beside the creaking sound and the left/right movement, it looks like you have one of those laminated wood flooring, am I wrong? If laminated wood flooring, then most likely there's some kind of padding underneath it. Depending on how thick this padding is (although it should not be too thick like with carpet padding), if you have the plastic screw just barely touching the flooring surface, any downward pressure from the foot may cause a little bit of vertical movement due to the padding underneath the laminated wood floor being squished down. You may need to screw it down a little bit more firmly than barely touching the surface.

I tried turning the knob all the way til I can't turn anymore to the point where the pedal unit is slightly angled up. No diff.

N
N
Thanks Norm! I'll email my dealer and see what's up. Out of curiosity what are the few easy suggestions you have? I can only think of WD40 but don't wanna risk spraying stuff where I shouldn't.

My first suggestion would be to try a spray silicone liquid lubricant. The stuff sprays in a solvent vehicle that then evaporates. Can't harm anything, I think. WD-40 is a big no. The second option I'd suggest of that does not work would be to open the unit up and shim the pedal rod on the right so that it sits to the left where it makes no sound.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by TomLC

So you’re saying the rod rubs on the bushing where it enters into a dusty center that has gone unattended for several months?

Rubbing around the bushing whilst holding down the rod -your approach- seems like a viable solution, but I wonder if the bushing could be soiled with excess rub in the process; therefore, causing the rod to slip a little to the left/right.

🤣

Kawai NV10
D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
My pedal rubs on...(don't know what the part is called) if I push it to the right or left when actuated. However, the rubbing noise is very faint. It's possible that with use woppa's noise will stop as the parts mate together more. Lube in the right spot would probably quiet it immediately.

God Bless,
David

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I would call the dealer first thing in the morning. They will fix it under warranty and you will also get it documented this was in case of it coming back later.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Any one of you have problems with the sustain pedal after stepping on the soft pedal? My sustain pedal seems to need to be 'clicked' back into place after stepping on the soft pedal.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Any one of you have problems with the sustain pedal after stepping on the soft pedal? My sustain pedal seems to need to be 'clicked' back into place after stepping on the soft pedal.
Just tried mine. Even pressed the una corda pedal hard, but no need to click the damper pedal back into place. Do you have the screw under the pedal unit adjusted so it touches the floor?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Just tried mine. Even pressed the una corda pedal hard, but no need to click the damper pedal back into place. Do you have the screw under the pedal unit adjusted so it touches the floor?
Yes, it touches the floor and it feels rock solid already. There's no problem with the damper pedal until I press the una corda pedal.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Yes, it touches the floor and it feels rock solid already. There's no problem with the damper pedal until I press the una corda pedal.
Since mine doesn't do this, my guess is this might be a manufacturing defect or an inaccuracy in the manufacturer or dealer's assembly process. I would recommend you reach out to the dealer or manufacturer (or whoever is responsible for administering your warranty - in my case, it's my dealer) on this issue. A short smartphone video of this happening might be helpful for them to understand what the issue is.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
W
W

Tested it as well, No problem with mine. All pedals working fine.

W
W
So I gave the Mobius a try. Bad bad bad. It's not even about the latency or whatnot. When plugged into the piano using 3.5mm there's so much white noise, like a very noticeable hiss, making it worthless. Completely different when using them for PC or PS4. If I use my Denons it is dead quiet.

Tonight I'm going to try adding a headphone amp and see how that goes. I have an old Ray Samuels Audio Hornet amp lying around (head-fi fans would know this)

Page 154 of 237 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission