2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
56 members (36251, Bruce In Philly, Anglagard44, blueviewlaguna., ando, AWilley, cassdad, 3B43, Carey, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 431 guests, and 365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Spinet or Console?
Rickster #2998354 07/03/20 04:50 PM
F
F
Great stuff Rickster.

Especially ... "Moral of the story? I'm not quite sure, but what we see and what we smell are somehow related."

Sounds like a great theme for blues song - how about "Stank Eye Beauty" smile

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Farfisakid #2998370 07/03/20 05:28 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Stank Eye could even be the name of a band. wink

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #2998469 07/04/20 01:58 AM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Well when you take the mothballs out of your piano the smell will disappear quite soon so it still
be a a beautiful piano once again. So no worries there !

I always thought a "studio" piano was 47" but the other day I read that a 45" piano is a studio piano.
A 130 size, is an "vertical".I did not know that either. My belief was that all uprights are vertical.
Sorry I do not know why I am rambling.....

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/04/20 01:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
Retsacnal #3004149 07/18/20 11:19 PM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
So, another two weeks have passed... [Linked Image]

With the arrival of summer heat, the mothballs are baking in the garage, and their aroma is much more palpable. I should probably remove them, since they have certainly served their purpose by now, and the garage smells like Stank Eye is rehearsing out there. sick

Attitude check: between the drop action and short stubby keys, I have to confess that my zeal for the project is waning. frown I also find myself scanning CL for studios.

On yet another trip to Lowes, I checked for the screws I need to assemble the dolly. Still no luck. Decided to try Home Depot in the next suburb over. An employee at HD was very helpful. I hadn't sought help at Lowes because I've gotten pretty familiar with the fasteners section over the years, searching out replacement nuts and bolts for various things. Anyway, the guy at HD explained that the reason that I wasn't finding the size I needed (5/16" diameter) is because they no longer stock it (their fastenters bins seemed virtually identical to Lowes, and probably stocked by the same vendors). Anyway, he showed me that they are still available online.

After poking around on their website, I discovered boltdepot.com whose site seemed a little more navigable to me, and who also offered what I was looking for in small numbers. I ordered 16 screws, washers and nuts, and went ahead and ordered 16 wood screws too, to hold the longitudinal pieces to the cross pieces, to save yet another trip to the store. So, $20 worth of hardware, and $5 in shipping later, I was set.

The screws arrived today, and I drilled all the holes, but realized that I can't countersink the flat head screws. I had assumed that I could just use a larger drill bit to do it, but today I realized that my largest drill bit is not large enough, so I'll end up back at the store for a proper countersink bit, or ordering one.

Back to my attitude check. Each time I see it in the garage, I sort of blanch. I really don't want to mess with a drop action, and the keys feel really short. As long as it's here though, I have sort of decided to finish the dolly and to go through the motions of moving it inside as an exercise. I think what I really want is a studio (or at least a console w/o a drop action), but if I can't move the console then I certainly can't move a studio, so it remains a good exercise. I also want it out of my garage, where the space it's taking up is more and more noticeable. For example, I got a new stove the other day, and it hardly fit into the garage for unpacking, and now the old stove is taking up just as much space too. Maybe I can take it and the console to the dump in the same load. Actually, the stove is an in-counter cooktop, and will probably fit in my trashcan, but the the console won't. Sigh...

Anyway, the dolly is on hold again temporarily, while I source a proper countersink.

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3004182 07/19/20 02:55 AM
W
W
That would be a sad end for a nice little piano. I guess with all the electronic keyboards out there the spinet pianos are all doomed as they don’t fit into that “starter” lane anymore. I’m on the lookout myself specifically for a Spinet piano. But around here they seem to have suddenly disappeared. Probably already in the landfill. 😕

former piano tuner/tech
WBLynch #3004367 07/19/20 01:40 PM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WBLynch
That would be a sad end for a nice little piano. I guess with all the electronic keyboards out there the spinet pianos are all doomed as they don’t fit into that “starter” lane anymore. I’m on the lookout myself specifically for a Spinet piano. But around here they seem to have suddenly disappeared. Probably already in the landfill. 😕

I agree that it would be the sad end for the piano.

I've thought about cleaning it up a bit and trying to find it a new home, but CL in my area is full of free spinets and free and nearly free larger uprights (this one is a console with a slightly dropped action). TBH, it's actually in pretty good shape. Initially I thought the key dip was off, but now I suspect that it was only my perception at the time (partly because of the shorter keys and that I was standing at the time). The only thing conspicuously "wrong" with it is that the hammers could use a little reshaping, and I'm planning to do that. The action feels fine, but my intention was to experiment some with it, and I may still do so, but I'm also gonna be on the lookout for something without a drop action. If I find it, this one will need to go.

Anyway, I was in a somewhat cynical mood when I wrote the previous post, but the reality is that when I'm done with it, it will probably be difficult to find it a home. The previous owners tried to give it away, and had trouble finding anyone. OTOH, they were pretty far out in the boondocks. I had my own reasons for seeking it out (to learn a little bit from it), but they don't include keeping it long term, and I'm gonna try not to get attached to it.

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3004396 07/19/20 03:26 PM
W
W
My goal is to find one and convert it into an acoustic/digital hybrid with a silent system record/midi Interface. New hybrids from Yamaha and Kawai cost $10,000 and more. I’ll try to create one for $1,000 all in.

I probably wouldn’t play it acoustically very often but it would be fun to have someone over and play it, maybe out of tune. Then say, “sorry, let me fix that“ and flip a lever and suddenly have a 9ft Steinway grand come out of that poor, poor, pitiful thiNg. 😆

former piano tuner/tech
Retsacnal #3004536 07/20/20 12:30 AM
K
K
Retsacnal, I have been following your progress with strong interest because I too have picked up a decent looking console (‘63 Everett) for my pianos tech learning that turned out to have thayer action which is a type of drop action. I’ve definitely learned a few things from it and repaired Here and there, but in the end I’ve sold it to a guitarist who is getting into piano right after I found a proper 48” upright. For a few days, I was worried about not being able to get rid of it in time for my new piano, but the buyer came prepared with friends and a trailer so I didn’t have to store the spinet in my already crowded garage. Your console/spinet is pretty photogenic, also you've given more maintenance and repair to it than a majority of free pianos on Craigslist so a chance of getting it out of your home is pretty good. If you know a piano teacher, he/she can let the words out to the students also.

K8KT #3004545 07/20/20 01:10 AM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by K8KT
Retsacnal, I have been following your progress with strong interest because I too have picked up a decent looking console (‘63 Everett) for my pianos tech learning that turned out to have thayer action which is a type of drop action. I’ve definitely learned a few things from it and repaired Here and there, but in the end I’ve sold it to a guitarist who is getting into piano right after I found a proper 48” upright. For a few days, I was worried about not being able to get rid of it in time for my new piano, but the buyer came prepared with friends and a trailer so I didn’t have to store the spinet in my already crowded garage. Your console/spinet is pretty photogenic, also you've given more maintenance and repair to it than a majority of free pianos on Craigslist so a chance of getting it out of your home is pretty good. If you know a piano teacher, he/she can let the words out to the students also.

Thanks for the kind words, K8KT. If you've already found a taller upright, and disposed of your console, then you're a couple steps ahead of me! thumb

I actually have thought about going through a teacher to find a student who might want it. The guy I was studying with at the university where I teach ironically left last semester. I guess my playing was pretty bad! wink Actually he relocated to the west coast after the Fall semester, so I didn't take lessons this past semester. I could reach out to the department, I suppose. After my wife passed away I sang in a choir for a while, and I know the music director and his assistant both teach piano too, so I may reach out to them. The assistant also teaches music in a high school, so there may be potential leads there too.

Anyway, I talk about hauling it to the dump, but I will do my best to find it a good home. It's a surprisingly nice piano for a freebie.

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3004672 07/20/20 09:52 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Anyway, I talk about hauling it to the dump, but I will do my best to find it a good home. It's a surprisingly nice piano for a freebie.

Ret, I'm sure you'll find a good home for your Baldwin console/spinet hybrid. Just keep trying.

One of my old uprights is in my garage rather than in my piano shop, which is more environmentally friendly with insulated walls and a fulltime dehumidifier. But I just don't have the room for the upright in my piano shop, or my house, for now. The unfriendly garage environment is already taking a toll on the old upright. But I plan on playing it and enjoying it till it is too far gone.

If I had the room, I'd have a lot of old pianos just to give them a good place to pass on, if nothing else. But as we say here in the south, you can't put ten pounds of taters in a five pound bag. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #3004994 07/20/20 11:42 PM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster

Ret, I'm sure you'll find a good home for your Baldwin console/spinet hybrid. Just keep trying.

One of my old uprights is in my garage rather than in my piano shop, which is more environmentally friendly with insulated walls and a fulltime dehumidifier. But I just don't have the room for the upright in my piano shop, or my house, for now. The unfriendly garage environment is already taking a toll on the old upright. But I plan on playing it and enjoying it till it is too far gone.

If I had the room, I'd have a lot of old pianos just to give them a good place to pass on, if nothing else. But as we say here in the south, you can't put ten pounds of taters in a five pound bag. smile

Rick

I do want to get it out of the garage and into the house. It seems to be fairly sturdy, though, and I don't think the garage is doing it any harm. I've kept a hygrometer on it, and it's usually right around 60%. Fairly stable, actually. The heat has gotten up though. We've hit 99 the last few days running. The garage isn't insulated, and sort of splits that with the internal temperature, but I'm not exactly sure what the temperature is out there. I know that GA will have us beat slightly in both temperature and humidity, at least my hometown (Augusta).

In terms of elbow room, I'm pretty locked down. 1/4 acre lot. Draconian neighborhood association and covenants. My late wife kept the house amazingly well organized and made a nice home. This is one area where our skills complemented one another. I've made an effort to keep most of the house in a state that she would approve of, so I'm resisting accumulating pianos! wink I guess I could put some in the basement (something I never had in Ga), but getting them down there would be a hassle (I'm worried now about 3 steps, let alone a whole flight of them)!

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3004995 07/20/20 11:50 PM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Quick update: Today I went to Lowes and got the countersink bit.
When I got home I realized it's too small. crazy cursing

The screws are 5/16", and the countersink is 3/8". Ought to drop right in, right? So I discovered it's not for a 3/8" screw. That's it's actual size. My screws are 5/16, but the wide flat head I specifically sought out is much larger in diameter. In fact, this one is only 1/16" larger than the threaded part of my screw. Anyway, stupid mistake. I think if I had even stood there and thought about it while looking that I would have realized. But I just grabbed it and bolted for the next thing on my list (HVAC filters).

Too much detail...

TL;DR: I got the wrong size bit. Have to exchange it. blush

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3005005 07/21/20 12:26 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
When you exchange it, bring the screw with you.

Semipro Tech
BDB #3005010 07/21/20 12:37 AM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

Definitely! Should have done so the first time. frown

~Mark Twain
BDB #3005099 07/21/20 08:48 AM
j&j Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

It sounds like you’ve done the Lowe’s/Home Depot dance more than a few times. wink

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]
Retsacnal #3005420 07/22/20 02:44 AM
K
K
If you've already found a taller upright, and disposed of your console, then you're a couple steps ahead of me! thumb

Well, I just ran into another Everett spinet at someone’s shop and ended up volunteering to clean it up, so my time with spinets isn’t over yet. I’ll start working on it next week. smile

Last edited by K8KT; 07/22/20 02:46 AM.
j&j #3009315 08/01/20 11:45 PM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Originally Posted by BDB

It sounds like you’ve done the Lowe’s/Home Depot dance more than a few times. wink

No job is complete unless you've had to return to the store for missing supplies or tools!

On that note, I couldn't get just the larger countersink. I had to buy a set. So I'm set for life in countersinks.

And two more crazy setbacks since my last update:

In the first, I realized that I had only ordered 8 sets of screws, washers and nuts to mount the wheels. I'm not sure what made me do that. Clearly, 4 per caster, so 16 for all 4 casters.

And for the second, when I reordered the extra 8 sets, for some reason on the washers I only entered 4!! mad

As crazy as it sounds, I went back in both cases and double-checked the emails sent to confirm the orders, and those were the numbers I keyed in.

Frankly, I'm not sure the washers are even needed, but fortunately, Lowes had packs of 5/16 washers, even though they didn't have that size screw.

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3009319 Yesterday at 12:00 AM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
Time for an update.

I've been working on the dolly, piecemeal, as the various bits of hardware have arrived. I had intended to use wood glue between the pieces of wood when I screwed them together, just for a little extra holding power, but I ended up gluing them before hand. Then I worried that the bond might break when the screws went in, but it didn't. The wood is so hard though that I drilled some pretty substantial pilot holes.

So, the dolly is done, and it seems to be holding like Fort Knox! Of course the acid test will be putting a few hundred pounds on it. I was too tired this evening to try putting the piano on it, and I want to clear out the garage a bit before attempting to move it into the house (gonna need a lot of elbow room to navigate--I don't want to hit anything).

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3009324 Yesterday at 12:15 AM

5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

5000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]Oh, in the Lessons Learned category, I've almost reached the price of this dolly in costs, so I might as well have bought one, although shipping was quite a bit. I think mine will be a little lower, which should make it a bit easier to work with.

~Mark Twain
Retsacnal #3009449 Yesterday at 10:42 AM
[Linked Image]Oh, in the Lessons Learned category, I've almost reached the price of this dolly in costs, so I might as well have bought one, although shipping was quite a bit. I think mine will be a little lower, which should make it a bit easier to work with.

I would think your custom made piano dolly would be better than the store-bought one, Ret. The dolly in the pic looks a little high to me, for piano work, although the welded, steel construction looks stought.

Plus, you have the satisfaction of knowing that you built the dolly yourself from scratch. That in itself is worth a lot. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bösendorfer, Valentina & Thunder
by Lucubrate - 08/03/20 05:43 PM
Experience with Henle Library App?
by WeakLeftHand - 08/03/20 05:17 PM
Piano learning apps
by SwfcDan - 08/03/20 05:04 PM
Finger pedaling- Who uses this technique?
by Jethro - 08/03/20 01:48 PM
Need help with wiring digital piano
by makentoxpiano - 08/03/20 11:06 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,688
Posts2,987,945
Members98,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission