2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Cominut, crab89, Animisha, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,178 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3008771 07/31/20 01:53 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi,

I’m currently in the process of purchasing a new piano and have several ideas, just wondering what others thought on these pianos as I have no experience in buying pianos. I am an adult learner, currently grade 7. I’ve tried a Schimmel W118T, Kawai K300 and Yamaha B3. My preference was the Schimmel with a beautiful rich tone but don’t really know much about Schimmel as a brand, especially the Wilhelm series. I’m trying to avoid a big mistake so was wondering if anyone had any viewpoints on these models, the Schimmel in particular.

Many thanks fellow pianists!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Learux #3008779 07/31/20 02:17 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Many thanks, a really interesting article and allaying most of my fears. I am however slightly concerned about the resale value due to the parts from Asia and the manufacturing in Poland; I have been advised to avoid Chinese parts all together however, I’m not sure how realistic that is.

Thanks

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I don't have much experience with grand piano's, but out of all uprights I have tried, I think Schimmels have the most interesting/beautiful sound I have heard so far.

Other than that as far as I know Schimmels are just great German quality piano's, and probably have good resale value, I don't know about the Wilhelm Schimmels.

C
OP Offline
C
Yes that’s my concern, although Schimmel as a whole appears to be a very reputable and high quality brand, the Wilhelm Schimmel seems lesser known and lesser quality - but I guess you get what you pay for!

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I love Schimmels. They typically have a clean, clear as a bell middle and upper treble and a rich bass. I haven’t tried the Wilhelm Schimmels but I’m sure they sound beautiful. IMHO, Polish craftspeople and employee’s labor rates are distinctly less expensive than their German counterparts and factory costs also are substantially lower. That explains much of the pricing difference. Go back and schedule a nice long appointment to really check out again the uprights you’re interested in. Best Wishes in your search.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I had a Schimmel C120. Beautiful tone

Initially, I was looking at the W123, but went w/ the C120, because I liked it a bit more & it was built entirely in Germany

Personally, it mattered to Me, but objectively, it might not matter at all

Schimmels have a nice sound & a Good reputation

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you haven't already done so, please read these as well......

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/yamaha/

https://www.pianobuyer.com/brand/kawai/

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/a-map-of-the-market-for-new-pianos-ratings/

https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/staff-picks-recommendations/

In terms of quality, price and resale potential, the Kawai is probably your best bet. The quality of the W. Schimmel may compare favorably to the Kawai, however it is also much more expensive. A Kawai K500 (priced closer to the W Schimmel) is a step up from the K300 and might better meet your needs.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all for your opinions and advice on this matter. I will certainly consider it further before making a decision. Many thanks smile

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
The only Schimmel I tried was a C121 (called Manhattan Elegance or Elegance Manhattan)
Yes a lovely tone and touch.The keys were shorter than a 130 instrument,but really an excellent piano.
The Kawai K-500 also worth trying. I like this instrument as much as the U3 .They have different tonal styles ,but both are very good and cheaper of course than the Schimmel.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 07/31/20 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all, just a follow up question regarding a comparison between the Schimmel W118 and the Yamaha U1 (looking at the price possibly a better comparison than the B3). Has anyone had experience with both pianos, if so what are your experiences and which would be a better choice. I realise that the U1 is a very well known and popular piano in comparison to the Wilhelm series of the Schimmel which may have less recognition but does this ultimately lead to better quality, I’m personally not so sure. Alternatively if anyone has any other suggestions of pianos I should try in that price range, I would appreciate recommendations.

Many thanks

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I personally do not like the Yamaha B3 because of the tone and the response.I have never tried a W Schimmel.The U1 is far better than the B3 in terms of tone and response.Very new ones can sound
very bright and need to be voiced.(I mean "metallic bright")

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I personally do not like the Yamaha B3 because of the tone and the response.I have never tried a W Schimmel.The U1 is far better than the B3 in terms of tone and response.Very new ones can sound
very bright and need to be voiced.(I mean "metallic bright")

I have the same experience.

I tried a couple of b3's back when I was looking for a piano, and I didn't know why, but for some reason the b3's didn't do something to me like u1's and especially u3's did.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission