2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
dipss Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi! I'm pretty confused between these two boards.
I've heard that the PHA-4 is a better action than the Fatar TP/100LR, but I'm not too sure (won't be able to test them anytime soon either). I've been playing on a Yamaha P115 for a couple of years now and I want a better action than the GHS, which is too mushy and springy for my taste. I understand that the Arturia has much more functionality than the Roland, but I think the Roland would suffice. However, you also get a laptop plate and music stand with the Arturia as well, which is indeed extremely useful. Couldn't find either for the Roland (not a fan of carrying separate things since I fly a lot).
Any insights would be extremely helpful smile Thanks!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For me, the Arturia Keylab 88 wins hands down, especially on “schleppability”. The Roland A-88 is no slouch, but Arturia did their homework and got a lot of things right

1. Laptop platform!
2. Sheet music stand
3. Edge-to-edge keys (no side panel)
4. Cool wooden legs (but US$249 not so cool)
5. After-touch

The main sticking point is the the key action, but it becomes less important if you want those other features. If I was lugging a controller around, I’d pick the Arturia.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
D
dipss Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Groove On
For me, the Arturia Keylab 88 wins hands down, especially on “schleppability”. The Roland A-88 is no slouch, but Arturia did their homework and got a lot of things right

1. Laptop platform!
2. Sheet music stand
3. Edge-to-edge keys (no side panel)
4. Cool wooden legs (but US$249 not so cool)
5. After-touch

The main sticking point is the the key action, but it becomes less important if you want those other features. If I was lugging a controller around, I’d pick the Arturia.

You're absolutely right! Arturia has nailed this board. And all the points you mentioned make it a really really good buy! But, I just really need an upgrade from that pasty GHS! Do you have any insight as to how its action compares with the GHS?

Also, are there custom laptop platforms in the market?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Are you aware that these two are controllers only, unlike your P-115?

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Assuming you are after a controller (yes to my question above).

About the action, most users in this forum are more focused on digitals as close to acoustics as possible, in both, feeling and sound.

I have read critics on Fatar actions not being so realistic, but that may not be as relevant to gigs (assuming you are gigging with the controllers above) as others such as functionality, weight, compactness etc.

You should try testing the Arturia if possible before making a decision, yours is the opinion that matters the most.

Finally, you may get anwers with more grounded opinions on Arturia's action in other forums where there are more gigs players, such as Keyboard Corner.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
D
dipss Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by EVC2017
Are you aware that these two are controllers only, unlike your P-115?

I use my P115 with Keyscape, Logic and MainStage, for practicing, recording and gigging. I also play a Kawai Baby Grand, and hence I would really love a more authentic piano playing experience.

I'll definitely check out Keyboard Corner tho. Thanks!

O
O
Maybe a Fp10(pha4) or Korg D1(rh3)
Digital pianos with better/realistic keys paired with 37/49 or surface controller?!

Or even the Rd88(pha4), digital piano with some controls on it.

Maybe a digital piano will suit you better with a backup sound source on stage, if vst fails somehow

Last edited by Otavio; 08/02/20 07:35 AM.
D
dipss Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Otavio
Maybe a Fp10(pha4) or Korg D1(rh3)
Digital pianos with better/realistic keys paired with 37/49 or surface controller?!

Or even the Rd88(pha4), digital piano with some controls on it.

Maybe a digital piano will suit you better with a backup sound source on stage, if vst fails somehow

Yeah I've thought about this. This might be my best bet. Thanks for the suggestion!

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Fast Trills get garbled on FP10/FP30. It's been reported by multiple users now. But that's not important to everyone. so it could still work well as a controller for you. Pha4 is a heavy and sluggish action.

Last edited by jeffcat; 08/02/20 11:30 AM.
D
dipss Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Fast Trills get garbled on FP10/FP30. It's been reported by multiple users now. But that's not important to everyone. so it could still work well as a controller for you. Pha4 is a heavy and sluggish action.

I've heard opposing opinions on the PHA-4 in plenty. I guess I have to try the individual boards out. I'm also not quite sure whether it's the same PHA-4 as on the FP-10. At least on the RD-88, a piano reviewer said that the action was a few grams lighter than on the FP-30. He sort of shows it on the RD-88 using a weight.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-IpgvqbSk&t=738s

O
O
If you go to the route "digital piano + controller", I recommend you the Essential line from Arturia.
It will be the best low budget midi controller with a REALLY nice feature pack, like Analog Lab 4 fully mapped.
IF you spend more, you could buy the Key Lab Mk2(the bigger version of Essential line)
I prefer Arturia for their hands-on control + software pack/integration.

D
dipss Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Otavio
If you go to the route "digital piano + controller", I recommend you the Essential line from Arturia.
It will be the best low budget midi controller with a REALLY nice feature pack, like Analog Lab 4 fully mapped.
IF you spend more, you could buy the Key Lab Mk2(the bigger version of Essential line)
I prefer Arturia for their hands-on control + software pack/integration.

I've definitely did consider this, and might go for some similar arrangement. The Keylab mkii is indeed really impressive. But I guess I have to 100% sure of its action before going for it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission