2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, 9 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I agree. I think 90125 should settle/chill a bit.
Piano World doesn't grant psychiatry degrees. Go elsewhere for such.
Originally Posted by ando
You honestly don't see the ad hominem component in his posts? I don't have an issue with the position on music he's putting forward - that's perfectly fine, but he's going considerably further than that on the character analysis of Gene, imo. It's not appropriate for the discussion at hand. He assumes facts not in evidence, so to speak. Whether you agree with it or not, it insults our collective intelligence to state that this is not occurring.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
For me, music is only a hobby. I use my acoustic to study and enjoy playing classical and some rock ballads from different groups. I’m fascinated by the mechanics of acoustic pianos and how they achieve their signature voice. I use my digital to discover how different digital piano voices sound when applied to classical music or rock ballads. My hobby affords me some escape from boredom or the ever depressing national news.
I’ve recently tried playing melodies by ear and can do OK but I sure read music much faster and pretty much have to drag along my sheet music to try out pianos. Again, thank heavens for my digital when I’m just noodling around. It nicely hides my many mistakes in my headphones. Frank Baxter is right. Playing piano is fun!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Thank you ando for addressing 90125's creepy jabs at CyberGene's personal life. I don't think this is behavior we should condone or even ignore.

90125, you have some very interesting points about music.

However, I think you have been harassing CyberGene, which I condemn. We should avoid speaking ill of people's personalities here. It is also irrelevant to the discussion.

Beethoven, Bach -> Kawai CA-97 -> Garritan CFX Full -> Neumann Klein and Hummel 310s
G
G
Originally Posted by Yushi
Come on! Guys!
Why don't you answer from hearts!
Wouldn't it all because of someday in your life art has saved you!
Because of fighting the death, the reality?
Because of expressing your life, your existence, your soul, you!
Because of sharing your love!

And by the way, do not fool yourselves. "Girls" do not care about pianists. Let them name one.

Could it be that Liberace broke too many of their mother's hearts? smile smile smile

I'm thinking that Liberace did not appeal to their mothers.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by similar
Thank you ando for addressing 90125's creepy jabs at CyberGene's personal life. I don't think this is behavior we should condone or even ignore.

90125, you have some very interesting points about music.

However, I think you have been harassing CyberGene, which I condemn. We should avoid speaking ill of people's personalities here. It is also irrelevant to the discussion.

thumb thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I think I play for a couple of reasons mostly.

Playing is like a mix of meditation and self-expression to me. I can play the same pieces I love over and over again, trying to memorize and perfect them further, or play them differently, and this practically never gets boring. For me it's all about getting in a sort of meditative state, the deeper i manage to go, the better the music comes out. I like to think it's a connection with the "subconscious / universal wisdom / god / whatever you would call it", where the musical expression really comes from, the creative part which makes me play pieces my way, instead of just trying to copy the original as well as possible.

Lately I had some great experiences at public piano's with some great responses from people, and this has made me think more and more about busking, so that has become a goal of mine. I think I have about 45 minutes of memorized useable repertoire by now so it's getting to a point I could go and try it, I think.

The thing is a piano is not a guitar or a violin. Bringing a real piano on the street is kinda hard, and the look and sound of a digital piano might not be very attractive, but the only real option. Still figuring out how that could happen exactly. It would be amazing if I could find a violinist that would accompany me, On the other hand I always like to do things on my own.

Anyway I love to play for people and give them beautiful moments, and if I could make a dime while doing that that would be even more great! On a public piano I was playing someone had randomly put a notebook, open on a page. It wasn't mine, but people thought it was, and 3 people put a few coins in it. After quite a while I thought oh well why not collect those coins, and the opened page said "Maybe this is something we could do again" and only that.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
To get better at playing piano, no other real reason.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Music has never been a hobby to me. Science is my hobby I suppose. I've studied both to the same level, but music is too fundamental for me to explain why I do it. It's like breathing.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Girls Girls Girls = Women Women Women. To better understand this, pick up and read any biography of any rock band of any era.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Didn't have to be a rock band. A pop band did better, even a local one had their admirers.
Mine played hotels and smaller pop venues, pubs/clubs. The singer's girl friend turned many heads and attracted many punters. The Freemasons weren't too happy when she got drunk, however. smile

Last edited by peterws; 07/31/20 02:35 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Must admit, I'd love to post something to generate the amount of controversy this has! frown

"[Linked Image]"
So, peterws ... the women even go for crematorium organists?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I keep working on classical piano so that someday, I can play my goal piece.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
So, peterws ... the women even go for crematorium organists?

We're always in demand, Mac. Not enough of us to go round . . .but we do get preferential rates when our time's up. . .

"[Linked Image]"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission