2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (Animisha, CaseyVancouver, CyberGene, AcousticAndre, clothearednincompo, anotherscott, doctor S, David B, 13 invisible), 559 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I simply have covers for those pianos which get sunlight.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
D
D
I have western windows that would let sunlight hit the piano. I added roller blinds that I keep mostly down, so only the bottom 12" of window are not covered. This keeps the sun from ever reaching the piano, because as the sun sinks lower, it is blocked by the homes across the street. I measured, and the sun reaches to about 3" from the bench, so nothing is getting direct sun.

Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
S
S
I have put film that filters 99% of the UV light, and only lets through 21% of the heat. The windows face south and west, and gets a lot of sun during the day, and the film works great. However, the rather obvious downside after it was put up, is the that room gets much darker, so much that I consider putting in more lights. As Carey points out, covering the piano itself also works well, and is always a good idea either way.

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Deltajockey
My piano is in a room which gets some early morning sunshine for about an hour. As as well as curtains, which I seldom close, I have lace sheer which filters the light when the curtains are open, and softens the room visually.... and audibly for the piano. Sheer is a cheap and easy thing to add to a window if you don't want to have the curtains closed all the time. I'm not too worried about low sun, as it's only early in the morning.

I nowadays also have a nice and unused cottage queen size padded bedspread which drapes over the piano. I put it there originally temporarily, but it looks so nice I've decided to leave it on. (I was never fond of those drab black quilted piano covers. They look like an old 70's ski jacket to me).
The quilt also softens the sound, as I play it day to day with it on, and only take it off when fully opening the piano to play for guests.

My piano tuner was here last week, he's also a restorer, and advised my early morning sun was not a problem for the piano, so if it is low sunlight through glass, not as much of an issue. Though light degradation is cumulative, so I guess it depends on how many years it is exposed at a low level.
The added advantage of a cover, is it helps normalise room temperature and humidity. My tuner did some measurements while here, and found the cover was providing quite some protection from the current room humidity.

Do you mind sharing a photo with the bedspread on? I am considering buying a piano cover but you gave me another good idea. Thanks!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My piano tuner was here last week, he's also a restorer, and advised my early morning sun was not a problem for the piano, so if it is low sunlight through glass, not as much of an issue. Though light degradation is cumulative, so I guess it depends on how many years it is exposed at a low level.
I think your second sentence is the correct description and your tuner was wrong.

D
D
Linda I will post a pic, but I am having trouble adding to the gallery. I've never got it working. I've read the instructions, and the pics upload, but they never show up in the gallery. I'll keep trying when I get some time.

D
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think your second sentence is the correct description and your tuner was wrong.

Perhaps my condensed description was open to ambiguity. In my specific circumstance the filtered light is not a problem. Even though it's only low morning sun, it is still not direct. (If it comes down to it, it seems keeping your piano locked in a cover is the only way to preserve its finish.
People may well take note of preservation measures used in museums, as evidently the general consensus is that pianos are far too delicate to leave exposed to any daylight. grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,149
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission