2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
30 members (CyberGene, andredatele, clothearednincompo, 36251, Adem, auflauf, Alex Hutor, 6 invisible), 445 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 82 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 81 82
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel?
Gargamel35 #3002101 07/13/20 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Gargamel35
I'm testing Piano Marvel app on laptop and i like it a lot. I played 1,5 hours straight and finished first 2 chapters of Method and Technique exercises. I'm still using free version so i wonder if it's limited somehow (less exercises for example)?

I also started to practise couple songs and one duet song with daughter. Is there a way to practise only right or left hand in "Prepare" mode? I find this mode very useful, but i need to practice with one hand first and "Prepare" mode demands playing with both.

GargameI35 -

I don't believe there are any restrictions in the free trial version, and for the separate hands, look to the bottom of the screen for "Practice Mode", and look for a "minced" version. it may not exist that way on every exercise. even a chopped version may have separate hand sections. Good luck.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Sarah65 #3002123 07/13/20 10:08 AM
T
T
I believe that the trial version has a less extensive music library and there’s a limit on the number of SASR tests that you can take.

Gargamel35 #3002207 07/13/20 01:57 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Gargamel35
I'm testing Piano Marvel app on laptop and i like it a lot. I played 1,5 hours straight and finished first 2 chapters of Method and Technique exercises. I'm still using free version so i wonder if it's limited somehow (less exercises for example)?

I also started to practise couple songs and one duet song with daughter. Is there a way to practise only right or left hand in "Prepare" mode? I find this mode very useful, but i need to practice with one hand first and "Prepare" mode demands playing with both.

If the song has sliced options you can. If not I'd just do assessment mode and play only RH or LH and ignore the score output. Also if you decide to buy it google Josh Wright Piano Marvel code I think he has a promo code for 20% off.

Sarah65 #3005198 07/21/20 01:21 PM
A
A
Just passed Arabia (Level 3B)!!
Now to rest the right wrist and finish Low Bridge...

Korg SP-170
*Alfred’s All-in-One Adult Bk 1 (relearning songs with PM)
*Fingerpower Etudes Primer Level 1 (for warmup...)
*Junior Hanon #15/16 (taking a week off here!)
*Piano Marvel—seeing the light at the end of the 3C tunnel...
AmyKaye #3005283 07/21/20 03:52 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by AmyKaye
Just passed Arabia (Level 3B)!!
Now to rest the right wrist and finish Low Bridge...

thumb thumb thumb thumb

Piano Marvel level 4C and everything I like smile
Sarah65 #3005654 07/22/20 04:26 PM
T
T
Did anybody else struggle with the 4 note V7 chords.

I’m getting there but my left hand still isn’t particularly happy about it.

treefrog #3005964 07/23/20 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by treefrog
Did anybody else struggle with the 4 note V7 chords.

I’m getting there but my left hand still isn’t particularly happy about it.

I just started on them with my teacher a few weeks ago. I’m not doing piano marvel, but saw this post and thought I’d share my exercises. I can say they get easier with practice. smile

One exercise my teacher suggested was doing mini improv with them in the right, to help ingrain the notes in your head.
Ex. C7 - play just root in left for now (C 4 beats/times a bar) & try an improv with R, 1, 3, 5, 7 in the right hand (C, E, G, Bb) Sounds counter intuitive, but practicing them in the right also helped my left.

Also do arpeggios with them in the left.
ex. C7 ascending C, E, G, Bb then descending Bb, G, E, C

HTH,
Silver

Sarah65 #3006140 07/23/20 10:00 PM
I've been using Piano Marvel since May of last year, so about 14 months now. I am on level 4C-13 Technique.

Of course, as I advance higher and higher into the lessons, they naturally become more difficult and it's taking me longer and longer to get that perfect score of 100% (I know, I'm OCD). In some cases, I'll spend hours on a lesson, repeating the assessment up to 200+ times until I get that 100% score.

Sometimes I feel like this is working against me rather than benefiting me because I'm spending too much time on one thing.

Am I practicing wrong? For other beginners like me, how do you determine for yourself if you've mastered the lesson and are ready to move on if you don't get that score of 100%?

I'm thinking of setting a "passing grade" of 96% or better going forward.

John_C - Colorado Springs
John_C #3006144 07/23/20 10:13 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by John_C
I've been using Piano Marvel since May of last year, so about 14 months now. I am on level 4C-13 Technique.

Of course, as I advance higher and higher into the lessons, they naturally become more difficult and it's taking me longer and longer to get that perfect score of 100% (I know, I'm OCD). In some cases, I'll spend hours on a lesson, repeating the assessment up to 200+ times until I get that 100% score.

Sometimes I feel like this is working against me rather than benefiting me because I'm spending too much time on one thing.

Am I practicing wrong? For other beginners like me, how do you determine for yourself if you've mastered the lesson and are ready to move on if you don't get that score of 100%?

I was the same way and for me it became “let’s see how fast I can get to 100” then once I got 100 I moved on but wasn’t grasping much theory or concepts. It became more of learn as fast as I can by repetition instead of learning how a scale is built, etc. which piano marvel doesn’t teach anything behind the notes. If I used it again I wouldn’t even care to get 100 I think 96 is plenty as long as you truly learned the lesson. Also get 96 keep progressing come come back and then get the 100 on them it’ll be pieces of cake.

John_C #3006213 07/24/20 05:43 AM
T
T

I’m at a point where not only do I have to get 100% but I don’t allow any red notes at all. Admittedly, I am a way behind you (4A) so things could change.
I think I have a slightly different approach to you in that I’ve probably never done a piece in 'Assess' mode more than 5 times before getting the 100%. This is because I won’t even attempt a piece in 'Assess' mode until I’ve perfected it in practice mode with time to spare and more importantly that I am happy with the performance and I’m playing every part smoothly and comfortably. I'll often get 95% on a piece and close the piano lid knowing after a nights sleep I'll be able to get the 100% more comfortably the following day.

I’m on 'Go Big C' at the moment which I practiced so much that I got 98% on my first attempt. I could probably get the 100% today but I’m not sure that I will move on yet because I find my left hand is quite ugly and contorted while playing this piece and I think I’ll need to iron that out before proceeding.

Saying all that, I can tell from this thread that level 4 on PM is a whole different ballgame to the preceding levels so I may not have the luxury of being able to get 100% for much longer.

Sarah65 #3006269 07/24/20 09:56 AM
S
S
Just finished Go Big C. Level 4 has some easy things, but I have to concentrate hard on each piece.

I am still aiming for 100%

Steven Carr #3006346 07/24/20 01:14 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Steven Carr
Just finished Go Big C. Level 4 has some easy things, but I have to concentrate hard on each piece.

I just completed 'Go Big C' too at 100%.

Now it’s going to take a while to get the tune out of my head and stop my fingers trying to play it on my leg smile

John_C #3006385 07/24/20 03:49 PM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Level 1-3 all 100% both method and technique. Level 4a method still 100% But then it starts, hours and hours and days and weeks labor on the same piece. It really was no longer doable, so I decided to practice until I got above 95%. And now I enjoy it again, maybe I'll go back later, I don't know yet.

Sarah65 #3006394 07/24/20 04:23 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65

Level 1-3 all 100% both method and technique. Level 4a method still 100% But then it starts, hours and hours and days and weeks labor on the same piece. It really was no longer doable, so I decided to practice until I got above 95%. And now I enjoy it again, maybe I'll go back later, I don't know yet.

If you were learning these pieces with a teacher, you would not be expected to play them at 100% before you move on. Just a thought to maintain sanity 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Sarah65 #3006447 07/24/20 08:31 PM
Thank you folks for responding to my grumblings of trying to achieve 100% on all lessons.

Today, I spent another 2+ hours on Lesson 4C-13 Technique. In practice mode, I can score 97% to 99% consistently while using a metronome. As soon as I hit that Assess button, my heart beats faster and I inevitably screw up, especially between sections or with timing changes. Or I lose my place and I can't pick it up again. So frustrating sometimes but I know every student has gone through the same.

Oh well, I know I will eventually get my passing score and move on.

John_C - Colorado Springs
Sarah65 #3006482 07/25/20 12:43 AM
S
S
I can recommend Graham Fitch and his first book on piano practice. Obviously the more advanced books are for really advanced students, but the principles he gives are very applicable to all levels of ability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmY4FlNJJ4

John_C #3006503 07/25/20 03:33 AM
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you folks for responding to my grumblings of trying to achieve 100% on all lessons.

Today, I spent another 2+ hours on Lesson 4C-13 Technique. In practice mode, I can score 97% to 99% consistently while using a metronome. As soon as I hit that Assess button, my heart beats faster and I inevitably screw up, especially between sections or with timing changes. Or I lose my place and I can't pick it up again. So frustrating sometimes but I know every student has gone through the same.

Oh well, I know I will eventually get my passing score and move on.

If you do "all" in practice, chopped mode, at the very last you increase the speed from 42 to 45 BPM (or more). Try that a few times, it will fail obvious. But when you go to "assess" it suddenly seems much slower and easier. You create a head start on your nerves ... weird but it helps.

Sarah65 #3006570 07/25/20 09:51 AM
A
A
+1 to what Sarah65 just said!

This morning (after about 4 days rest) I went back to Ballad in C Minor, sounded much better. I intend to spend another week reviewing the things that drove me nuts last week “just trying to get through this”: Into The Woods, back to 3A for Sweet Lullaby...and there’s the Ear Training/Harmonizations I need to go back through as well...

I’m convinced...spending more time in Practice mode, starting slow and speeding up, is the only way I’m going to get this on my own. Plus, I learned more about presets and can pull up one I made that has minimal instrumentation but rhythm and melody smile

Fun Fact: PM uses harmonic minors...my FJH scale book uses natural minors...mind blown!

Korg SP-170
*Alfred’s All-in-One Adult Bk 1 (relearning songs with PM)
*Fingerpower Etudes Primer Level 1 (for warmup...)
*Junior Hanon #15/16 (taking a week off here!)
*Piano Marvel—seeing the light at the end of the 3C tunnel...
AmyKaye #3006599 07/25/20 11:16 AM
T
T
Originally Posted by AmyKaye
+1 to what Sarah65 just said!

This morning (after about 4 days rest) I went back to Ballad in C Minor, sounded much better. I intend to spend another week reviewing the things that drove me nuts last week “just trying to get through this”: Into The Woods, back to 3A for Sweet Lullaby...and there’s the Ear Training/Harmonizations I need to go back through as well...

I’m convinced...spending more time in Practice mode, starting slow and speeding up, is the only way I’m going to get this on my own. Plus, I learned more about presets and can pull up one I made that has minimal instrumentation but rhythm and melody smile

Fun Fact: PM uses harmonic minors...my FJH scale book uses natural minors...mind blown!

This confused me at first. I knew all of my natural minor scales and very quickly had to add the harmonic minor scales to my repertoire.
I guess it makes sense as the chords are based on the harmonic minor. If you play the chords in natural minor, they sound odd.

Steven Carr #3006659 07/25/20 01:49 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Steven Carr

I think I'm going to start using the middle section of 'Go Big C' (the two handed sections) as part of my warm up in future. I’ve found when playing those sections over and over again while looking out the window, something strange starts to happen and my fingers start to take on a mind of their own and it becomes almost effortless.

Page 73 of 82 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 81 82

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Keep playing no matter what
by Tom97 - 11/29/20 06:14 AM
K. Kawai piano. Best tuning,
by Maximillyan - 11/29/20 03:22 AM
Dual-sensor vs Triple-sensor Actions
by Almaviva - 11/29/20 12:14 AM
Disklavier parts needed for Yamaha Mark 3 Disklavier
by Dfrankjazz - 11/28/20 10:52 PM
Pandemic a boon for piano stores?
by doremi - 11/28/20 10:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,122
Posts3,028,379
Members99,409
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission