2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (AndrewJCW, Beowulf, Almar, Derek Mc, 1957, David Boyce, Boboulus, crazyRyoga, 10 invisible), 538 guests, and 528 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 97 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 96 97
Re: Kawai CA79 / CA99 owners club
Martinez #3004826 07/20/20 03:08 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Piano delivery is a funny affair. There are those that do it right, and those that might as well be the gorillas that mash your luggage as it gets loaded/unloaded from aircraft.

The guys in the Piano Forum and Technician's Forum tend to recommend dedicated piano movers ... those that are equipped with piano moving gear.

NOT a we-move-anything jacka** mover.
Not a freight company.
Not Fed Ex or UPS.
Nope ... only a dedicated piano mover.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Martinez #3004835 07/20/20 03:28 PM
T
T
My new CA79 thoughts.
Just joined the forum and hope someone could advise on a couple of issues I have found.
Firstly I must start with the key action-just one word- perfect. My previous piano a Yamaha 675 was starting to seriously annoy me with extreme difficulty in playing pp passages, especially chords. This is connected with the heavy action (98gms) and the escapement notch as far as I can tell. No such problems on the Kawai!!
My current issues with the kawai mainly relate to software which basically seems underdeveloped and lacking in basic functionality. For example I can save a user sound with a name that I have already used and no system warning given. I cannot then delete that name without deleting all user sounds. Other parts of the system are also rather clunky especially touching and swiping on the touchscreen which is fairly unresponsive.
My main question I am hoping the forum can answer relates to the upright piano sound options. My manual includes several options for this including “honky tonk” but my software only has one choice available. All the other piano types have all of the variations to select so why has this been removed?
Tried to simulate this with various effects but not very successful.
I have updated all software and firmware to the latest issues but do not know if the earlier software included this.
My overall impression with this piano is that it is a considerable step forward in simulating a real grand (including vibration fed back through the keyboard) and very happy with my purchase.
Kawai please make the software match the hardware!!

Tonyhow1 #3004926 07/20/20 06:28 PM
Hello Tony, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the recent purchase of your CA79.

Please allow me to respond to your comments:

Originally Posted by Tonyhow1
I can save a user sound with a name that I have already used and no system warning given.

Yes, this has been reported previously, and has also been logged in our internal bug tracker. The behaviour will be improved via a future software update.

I cannot then delete that name without deleting all user sounds.

This is a similar topic, and will also be improved in the future via a software update.

My main question I am hoping the forum can answer relates to the upright piano sound options. My manual includes several options for this including “honky tonk” but my software only has one choice available. All the other piano types have all of the variations to select so why has this been removed?

Please note that some sounds, including the "Honky Tonk" piano sound are only available on the CA99 model.
This is indicated on the "Sound List" page of the owner's manual, here, however it appears that this detail was omitted from the earlier reference to the sound, on page 21. I will inform my colleague responsible for preparing the CA99/CA79 owner's manual and recommend that this omission be corrected with the next reprint. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
MacMacMac #3004984 07/20/20 09:48 PM
P
P
Hi everyone,

#Post2976486
Originally Posted by Galuwen
[...]

And more and more reports of broken delivered GFIIIs.

Last case is dramatic: Christian Uhrmachr's CA99 keys are totally wave shape alligned that on the deepest key the touch display looses contact when key is pressed (we are collecting cases now here in Europe).

Galuwen

#Post2984784
Originally Posted by johnland82
[...]

When I opened the box post delivery, about half of the keys were lifted up off of the sensor (is that what the part is called, below the key?) and had shifted towards the right. I lifted each black and white key and moved them back into position. One key, C#5, seemed to be rubbing up against D5. I worked with the key a tad to keep it from hitting the D and it seems to have been fine for the last few days.

Is this something that happens with relative frequency? It looks as if they had the piano up on its side and had leaned it back on the dolly, and nothing in the packaging seems to be capable of holding the keys in place. Should I be concerned about potential future issues with the keyboard? I brought this up to the sales guy that I'd worked with. He said that sometimes that happens and that if I find any issues to let him know.

I'm not sure that I'd know what "issues" look like, but things seem to be working fine currently.

Any opinions? Thanks!

Do you guys mean like in the picture below :

[Linked Image]

#Post2985890
Originally Posted by ag_jazz_piano
Hi guys,
been reading the last couple of posts and see a lot of issues with delivery. I have mentioned it to my dealer that because it's considered "digital piano" (not accoustic), they can use "standard" transporters who handle this like a bicycle or anything they usually deliver.
But the CA99 is quite bulky, heavy and fragile so they should really pay attention to which transporter they use. In Europe, i believe Kawai is careful when they choose the transporter from their european warehouse to the dealers, but often when they deliver directly to you, the issue is on the last 100km where they use local transporters !!! Mine arrived ok but the box had a few holes and the wooden platform beneath the piano was broken because it did not match their moving machines standard sizes !

[...]

#Post3004826
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Piano delivery is a funny affair. There are those that do it right, and those that might as well be the gorillas that mash your luggage as it gets loaded/unloaded from aircraft.

The guys in the Piano Forum and Technician's Forum tend to recommend dedicated piano movers ... those that are equipped with piano moving gear.

NOT a we-move-anything jacka** mover.
Not a freight company.
Not Fed Ex or UPS.
Nope ... only a dedicated piano mover.

I couldn't agree more tired

So, I did't introduce myself, I am another lucky owner of a CA 79 DP.

I bingeread all the 52 pages of this thread with attention.

I live in France and ordered from an online retailer that can ship anywhere in France, even thouth they have their store in a single location.

I will not go through all the not so enthralling details, but when I opened the box, the piano keys were like in the above posted picture.

I did exactly like johnland82 explained, and carefully moved all the misplaced keys back into their pins.

But when I tried to turn the piano on it just wouldn't do anything. I tried different sockets, nothing worked. The piano was just broken when it arrived to me.

It's a good thing that I took a picture of the piano. When I called the store that sold it to me, they first offered to send a kawai technician to my place, which kind of suited me since I live far from where the store is located and I had so much trouble lifting it to my appartment. But when I sent the picture they said the piano probably had experienced a violent shock and a technician could probably not be able to fix it up rapidly at my place.

They offered to send another piano after they get back the previous one. Except I live on the fifth floor of an old building with no elevator. It had been really difficult to carfully lift it up there with the aid of some relatives, and I now had to get it back downstairs again, not only that but to reassemble the parcel and put everything back like it was when I opened it...

I was really affraid they would use the same delivery company which is so bad since they are probably responsible for the broken piano. And I was right, they did use the same company again, which treats those kind of parcels like any parcel and pays no particular attention to the symbol indicating it should stay upright (I saw how they took back the broken piano parcel...)

Anyway, 10 days later I got my brand new CA 79 (satin black), which this time arrived with all the keys in their places, I was lucky. I still had to go up the fifth floors with it again...
But this one works well.

The only problem worth mentioning is the B2 key, wich is abnormally hard to push compared to all the other keys. This is really annoying and I might have to contact my dealer again, unless you have a clue on what I should do ?

I do hear from time to time some clicking noise like others described in this thread, but it is intermittent and generally tend to disapear while I keep playing, maybe permanently, anyway I hope... Would it be possible that it is due to the white grease beeing distributed unequally at first when the piano is new, and then allocated more regularily on the keys while one keeps playing day after day ?

Concerning the buzzing and white noises some here mentioned, I think I did hear it, but also with headphones on, which would indicate a sample related noise, but most of those who described the problem said it was only through the speakers, and whith rerouted VSTs also, so I don't know... Anyway, it is not really annoying since I only hear it with high volume, which I realise is too much for the ears (I have Sennheiser HD650 headphones)

Anyway thank you all for your helpful reviews and feedback throughout this thread, and thanks to kawai james for his kind availability.

EDV #3005023 07/21/20 12:28 AM
R
R
Originally Posted by EDV
I got a CA98 9 months ago, and thinking of upgrading within the next few days.
For those arguing about "light vs heavy" key action, the CA98 seemed a tad heavy to me... this makes is harder to get some pp and ppp sounds out of it so I have been using the soft pedal ( set on 3 )for certain pieces. On the other hand the heavy feel added to the realistic feel and it was hard to believe I was not playing an acoustic piano. Responsiveness to me also seemed a bit "unpredictable", with some keys less responsive than others. Some keys would even sound bright on ff , and mellow on p or mf, so that really bothered me ( i suspect there was something wrong with my particular instrument though )
Finally...I customized my sound settings and virtual technician settings extensively on the CA98... yet after saving those settings using both "Store to Sound" and "Save as Favourite" I would lose many of my modified parameters when I switched off the CA98, so I have to actually write down my preferences in a piece of paper, and manually enter these ( Tone preferences ) every time !! Totally annoying !!
Can not wait to try the CA99...

I would love to hear your thoughts once you try it! I just traded in my brand new CA79 in EP for a satin black (ew, but only one left in east coast) CA98 (minus $1300 to cover the difference). I love the CA98 and don't regret my decision for now.

Kawai James #3005074 07/21/20 05:40 AM
T
T
To kawai James, thanks very much for you very quick reply. Should have realised that the ca99 would have more sounds.
Another question please- when I enter the sk ex rendering options via the main piano screen, the “effects” tab is not available. If I enter this piano via the “sounds” tab it appears. Is this a bug?
Can I also add something to a wish list- As this software takes ages to fully load (35seconds) I suggest that a proper low energy “stand by” mode should be added let’s say no more than 1 or 2 watts max as an option. My piano consumes about 25 watts if left on with the screen off which is far too high.

Martinez #3005142 07/21/20 10:43 AM
C
C
Hi everybody,

new CA-99R owner here. Haven't spend much time with it (I received it yesterday), but I have contradictory feelings. I like the action (coming from a CVP-305) but the sound it's kinda dissapointing. When playing chords I hear like a kind of hiss or digital noise.. I can't find a word for it, but there is something extrange. Almost as if the speakers weren't up to the task and about to distort. My piano teacher came to test it and he can't point exactly what it is but he definitely hears something "digital" on it.. frown

And the physical build quality it's just mediocre. It's functional but I'm far from impressed.

I need to spend more time with it, try headphones, pianoteq, ...more settings.

At the moment I'm not fully satisfied, but the next step is almost double the price (N1X) and I don't want to spend so much on a digital instrument.

Carlos CR

Carlos-CR #3005272 07/21/20 03:35 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Carlos-CR
Hi everybody,

new CA-99R owner here. Haven't spend much time with it (I received it yesterday), but I have contradictory feelings. I like the action (coming from a CVP-305) but the sound it's kinda dissapointing. When playing chords I hear like a kind of hiss or digital noise.. I can't find a word for it, but there is something extrange. Almost as if the speakers weren't up to the task and about to distort. My piano teacher came to test it and he can't point exactly what it is but he definitely hears something "digital" on it.. frown
Hi, are you sure it's not faulty unit?

Martinez #3005286 07/21/20 03:57 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Wow, that image is hard to look at. I think it goes without saying that is NOT your regular "items may shift or settle in shipping." That's some serious shipping damage, and I would not accept anything other than a full exchange for a brand new unit. You shouldn't be stuck with a tech attempting to fix that on a brand new unit.

And if you're getting an exchange, I think it's more than reasonable for the shop to send a new unit, have it delivered and set up for you, and have the movers box up and haul the damaged unit away. You shouldn't have to have to box up and return the clearly broken unit first.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #3005346 07/21/20 07:49 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Wow, that image is hard to look at. I think it goes without saying that is NOT your regular "items may shift or settle in shipping." That's some serious shipping damage, and I would not accept anything other than a full exchange for a brand new unit. You shouldn't be stuck with a tech attempting to fix that on a brand new unit.

You're right, but it's rather psychological : I had waited for this piano so eagerly and the keyboard seemed okay once I realigned the keys, that I thought at the moment if a technician was to come and fix the no boot issue, maybe I would be happy and not want to go trough the hassle of getting it downstairs, back in its parcel, and then moving the brand new piano upstairs again.
But after the store offered to send a new one, I realised it was the right option, who knows what was damaged in that unit, given the impact it probably endured.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
And if you're getting an exchange, I think it's more than reasonable for the shop to send a new unit, have it delivered and set up for you, and have the movers box up and haul the damaged unit away. You shouldn't have to have to box up and return the clearly broken unit first.

Yes, I agree. But they specifically said the mover wouldn't go upstairs and I had to pack up everything again... I was at the same time pissed and relieved that they would send me a new piano, but you're right, it's the minimum one ought to expect from them.
After the mover carried away the broken piano, I sent a message to the dealer asking for a new delivery company and a lift upstairs for my piano. They didn"t answer right away, but after the new piano was already on it's way, they politely said it was the same company (only with an "express" option this time so that I recieve it sooner) and I would have to carry it and install it myself again.....

Now I have this heavy one key problem, and I think I should ask them to send a technician...

Martinez #3005355 07/21/20 08:10 PM
When goods are delivered with obvious damage I simply refuse delivery.
Let the damage be a problem for the vendor and/or carrier. It's not my problem.
Someone is at fault, and it's not me.

I pay with pristine money. I'm entitled to pristine merchandise.

Martinez #3005389 07/21/20 10:47 PM
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I get my kawai ca99 satin black in a few weeks, bought from bonners. Swapped it for a nord grand which i originally bought from them.. Didn't get on with the NG at all in the end, and those nord piano monitors are abysmal, no idea what they were thinking making those.

I'm looking forward to my new ca99, however I'm also nervous as im hearing lots of issues on this thread, are kawai good at customer service and will fix anything if there's an issue, has everyone got their issues resolved? I get 5 years warranty apparently in UK, hope that's right. I feel i shouldn't have to be worried though as it cost a lot of money, is there some issues with kawai quality control?

Isn't it awful one should be excited and yet apprehensive to get a new instrument in this day and age...

Maybe i should stop looking on this forum lol

Martinez #3005445 07/22/20 05:14 AM
K
Online Content
K
@mwf - I too bought my CA 79 from Bonners just a few days before lock-down. They were fine and they use delivery movers specialising in Piano's. Kawai are in Milton Keanes and although I have had no issues (like the vast majority) that between the two of them anything arising would be sorted for sure. Enjoy your new instrument! smile .... and let us all know how you get on too smile

No good but carry on regardless
Martinez #3005446 07/22/20 05:21 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I need CA99 vs CA98 comparisons, pleaaaase smile

Martinez #3005451 07/22/20 06:05 AM
K
Online Content
K
@Nordomus - I feel sure that this has been covered somewhere on here. It was on or about the time of launch is Jan I think. But I cannot help directly as 98 was unknown to me personally smile

Martinez #3005456 07/22/20 06:30 AM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I'm reading this topic from the begining and there wasn't too much comparisons to previous models, only few, hopefully someone will say more about it smile

Nordomus #3005463 07/22/20 06:57 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Originally Posted by Carlos-CR
Hi everybody,

Hi, are you sure it's not faulty unit?

Hi Nordomus,

I don't think it's faulty.. it's very subtle and for example my wife doesn't hear anything weird with it (she doesn't play).. I think that I just had very high expectations and the amplification system in yamaha CVP-305 is very very good even if it's a 15 years old instrument.

Also today I've been playing many second hand verticals (Yamaha, Kawai, König, Gotrian, Essex, Boston) and two grands (a Yamaha and a shigeru Kawai) and the keyboard on CA-99 IMHO seems better than any of them, specially the verticals. And sound wise.. well every piano has its quirks and the CA-99 simply seems to have a set of different ones.

Carlos CR

Nordomus #3005777 07/23/20 04:31 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Nordomus
I need CA99 vs CA98 comparisons, pleaaaase smile
No, I cannot compare anything.
But, as I understand it, as Kawai actions go:
1. If you want an action that is the most fun to play: ES110.
2. If you want an action close to the actions of the best concert grands: CA99.
3. If you want an action for building stamina, close to a heavier action of a mediocre acoustic with pronounced escapement notch: CA98.

Last edited by Parkher; 07/23/20 04:34 AM.
Martinez #3005810 07/23/20 06:23 AM
K
Online Content
K
@ Parkher - you forgot to mention those who are in training for the Olympics - they need to be on Yamaha Clavinova circa 2003 complete with failing and sticky keys LOOOOOOL

Parkher #3005812 07/23/20 06:29 AM
Where does this come from?
Originally Posted by Parkher
1. If you want an action that is the most fun to play: ES110.
2. If you want an action close to the actions of the best concert grands: CA99.
3. If you want an action for building stamina, close to a heavier action of a mediocre acoustic with pronounced escapement notch: CA98.
If we're restricted to Kawai ...
For #1 most fun, I'd say NV10. The ES110 isn't in the running.
For #2 most like a concert grand, I'd say NV10. The CA-series actions cannot compare.

Page 52 of 97 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 96 97

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,350
Posts3,048,280
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission