2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's "n'importe quoi", as french said...

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Learux
Big difference between watches and pianos is that a cheap Casio or Timex will tell time just as good(probably more reliable/abuse proof) then an expensive mechanical watch.

Unfortunately this is not the case with pianos.

A cheap digital piano can usually tell the time. A Bösendorfer Imperial can't.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Spot On!

Proud owner of a Bösendorfer 280VC & a covey of Patek Philipe watches

From left to right:

Patek Philippe 5140, Perpetual Calendar, Gold, Black Alligator w/ Deployment Buckle

Patek Philippe 5134, Calatrava Travel Time, White Gold, Black Alligator w/ Deployment Buckle

Patek Philippe 5127, Calatrava Self Winding, Rose Gold, Brown Alligatot w/ Deployment Buckle

[Linked Image]

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Wow, after Lucubrate, I probably should just not bother.

I still love watches and wear one 24x7. I even wear a watch with a fitness tracker on my right hand because as useful as they are Apple watches are just pure ugly. I have several TechnoMarines that I enjoy and I can swim with one and still keep track of time. I got a Movado dress watch I enjoy. I’ve been wearing my Citizen Ecodrive that’s sensational because it uses any sort of light to keep ticking. No movements that need care and cleaning or batteries that need replacing.

Every other month or so, I wish my watches were perpetual calendar.

Last edited by j&j; 07/22/20 09:21 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A couple other thoughts. At least with expensive Swiss watches, you can flash them at a dinner party and “show it off” whereas it’s pretty silly flashing pictures of your new Steinway or Sauter at dinner. Or I guess when other guests are showing pictures of grandkids, you can show pictures of a new piano but most people have no clue.

That was also my thinking about expensive watches. Most people in my circle of relatives and friends wouldn’t know the difference between a Patek Philippe and a Bulova. That’s true even with executive management where I worked.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
At least with expensive Swiss watches, you can flash them at a dinner party and “show it off” whereas it’s pretty silly flashing pictures of your new Steinway or Sauter at dinner.

I love watches (and all other aspects of mechanical timekeeping).

I like the idea that a watch that costs as much as a concert grand should be worn discretely, so that nobody else at the dinner party should be any the wiser.

If you flash pictures of your piano (be it a spinet or a concert grand) at a dinner party and people aren't interested, it's only because they're ignorant savages. 😀

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Does anyone have any comments about the validity of the piano/watch comparison in the first post? Although I know nothing about watches, that's actually what I was interested in and thought posters would comment on when I made the post. Which comparisons do you think are good or bad and why?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dhull100
Audemars Piguet deserves a spot, as they are among the holy trinity of watches with Vacheron and Patek. Among remaining options, I reckon Sauter is best fit. Not a great fit but best remaining.
I bough my ex-wife an Audemars Piguet back in 1997. One of the worse purchases of my life. 🙄(Not the watch! 😂)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The Steinway and Rolex similarity is an obvious one, especially the position of both brands in the public consciousness. However, Rolex isn't really a high-end manufacturer. Steinway is higher up the piano ladder than Rolex is up the watch ladder in terms of snob appeal. It's a bit like Louis Vuitton vs Hermès. Rolex is more Louis Vuitton. However ignoring the price difference...

Steinway: Rolex

Bösendorfer: Patek
Bechstein: Audemars Piguet
Blüthhner: Vachheron Constantin

Fazioli: Lange & Söhne

The holy trinity of PP, AP and Vacheron are the watch equivalent of the three Bs in the piano world. Lange is like Fazioli. They're not Swiss and the modern company was started fairly recently.

Last edited by johnstaf; 07/22/20 11:05 AM.
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
There is no need for all these subcategoires, I think we can just use:

Piano : Useful
Watch: Not

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Learux
Big difference between watches and pianos is that a cheap Casio or Timex will tell time just as good(probably more reliable/abuse proof) then an expensive mechanical watch.

Unfortunately this is not the case with pianos.
I imagine that somewhere on watch-forum.com there is a post that says
Big difference between watches and pianos is that a cheap Yamaha or kawai both just hit a string with a hammer as good as a Steinway or a fazioli. On the other hand a high-end chronograph Patek doesn't just tell time, it can tell you the state of the stars and planets in the universe and help you soar to heights that you never thought possible.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Well the comparisons that I know both watch and corresponding piano is the Rolex Steinway, the Bösendorfer to Patek Philippe and the Tissot to Estonia. Those seem right. Having never tried a Steingraeber or Sauter or Fazioli the other comparisons are lost on me.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
E
E
some similarities I can think of...
both have a small no. of brands that non watch/piano people think are the top, and know nothing about others (steinway, rolex, patek philippe vs. e.g. bosendorfer, f.p. journe)
non watch/piano people cannot think why anyone one would need more than one “good” one.
The traditional acoustic/mechanical market was almost destroyed by digital.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Does anyone have any comments about the validity of the piano/watch comparison in the first post?.... Which comparisons do you think are good or bad and why?

As others have noted - IMO, The Rolex/Steinway comparison is the most apropos

To the general public, Rolex probably represents to many, the epitome of a high-end, expensive watches. To watchmakers, dealers, aficionados, repairers, etc - They tend to have a different or more expansive view

Likewise with pianos, to the general public, Steinway probably represents to many, the epitome or ideal, in high-end pianos. For those who are piano manufacturers, dealers, turners, etc - Generally, they might have different opinions on the matter

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There are other similarities with acoustic pianos and mechanical watches. Both are incredibly complex mechanisms that are expensive to make and even more expensive to buy. Mechanical watches need to be kept moving if they’re not being worn, with something called a watch winder and do need to be cleaned to keep them running properly. The cost of cleaning exceeds the price of a quartz watch. An acoustic piano has even more pieces and parts than a fine Swiss watch and also requires regular tuning, voicing and regulation. Yes both of these items lost a huge market share with digital. But....after everyone had digital/quartz watches, suddenly the mechanical watches enjoyed a rebirth of interest.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
A PW member posted this on FaceBook and I thought it might be interesting to some here. I know nothing about watches so I can't comment, but maybe some PW members will have some insights about this list.

Rolex: Steinway
Patek Philipe: Boesendorfer
Omega: Yamaha
JLC: Bechstein
A. Lange & Sohne: Steingraber
Hamilton: Baldwin
Breuget: Pleyel
F.P. Journe: Fazioli
Seiko: Kawaii
Tudor: Grotrian
Elgin: Mason & Hamlin

That's funny. I just happen to own a Seiko and a Kawai.

But we need to find a match for Citizen watches, too. My father (a watchmaker by trade) was fond of them. Perhaps match it to Yamaha and find a European piano to match with Omega instead?

First love: Kawai GX-6
Yamaha Motif XF8
Tektronix MSO4104
B
BDB Offline
B
I would be interested in a match with an Apple watch. Maybe a Spirio Steinway.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Let's see, I have
a Movado
a Skagen
a Seiko Lassale
a Bulova and
two Citizen Eco Drive watches.

Anyone care to match a piano with any of these?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Curious if Anyone has a good comparison of a Piano to Franck Muller watch

Images of Franck Muller Watches

Although I don’t own a Franck Muller watch, I’ve always enjoyed Their particular style

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by BDB
I would be interested in a match with an Apple watch. Maybe a Spirio Steinway.

If You don’t mind Me asking - How does technology like Spirio, affect Your work, as a Piano Technician

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission