2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
58 members (CyberGene, achoo42, clothearednincompo, Almaviva, Blague, anotherscott, 15 invisible), 479 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H.C Bay Piano Need Advice
#3003322 07/16/20 11:52 AM
M
Melynn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
About 10 years ago we acquired an H.C. Bay Piano from a friend that was in awful condition. We had big plans of refinishing it, getting it restrung, rekeyed to name a few. This thing needs a ton of work of which we have not been able to do. But it plays beautifully. My husband feels that is is worthless and should just go to the dump...I am the one who sees life in everything and would like to pass it along. However, NO ONE wants it. LOL.
My question is this...is there value in an old 1919 piano even if in horrendous condition? Or is hubby correct and there is no hope and it would go to the dump. The thought hurts my heart. But it is a dusty old piano needing tons of love.

I can't even find a place that can give me an answer of whether it even has any value whatsoever. I am not looking to sell it ...I just want it to go the right place...and I feel like the dump isn't it.... any guidance would be so appreciated.

I found a number stamped in it which dates it to about 1919.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: H.C Bay Piano Need Advice
Melynn #3003350 07/16/20 01:06 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi, Melynn, and welcome to Piano World!

I too like old upright pianos, or even old grand pianos. But the uprights don't take up as much space as the grands.

I have had several old upright pianos over the years, and have two now, both from around 1910. In fact, I just played one of them a few minutes ago, and it put a smile on my face. smile

That said, there are lots and lots of old acoustic pianos from yesteryear out there, and many are free for the taking, if the taker can move it.

I've seen a few ads for a free old upright piano, but the owner requires professional movers so as not to damage their floors; and, I don't blame them. But chances are, they narrow the field of prospective takers even more by requiring professional movers, usually.

Although I really don't have room for another old upright at the moment, I still cruise the piano ads on FB marketplace and CL to see what is out there. On occasion, I see something that is really tempting.

Now, getting back to your old H.C. Bay piano, I think I have heard of the brand, but know nothing about them. You could advertise it for free, and see what happens, if you don't want to take it to the landfill. There might be someone (like me:-) who admires old, worn-out upright pianos, and would take you up on the offer to take it. However, I know you said that no one wanted it, so you may have already tried that.

I terms of whether or not is worth any money, I can't help you there, but my first guess is that it is not. If you can't find someone to take it for free, as you mentioned, I doubt you would find someone to pay you any money for it.

There was a time when the price of scrap metal was up and some of the scrap metal scavengers would pay a small amount for the cast iron plate and pick it up. I have gotten rid of a couple of old uprights by giving them to the scrap metal scavengers, who could come and pick it up for free. But I think the price of scrap metal is down now.

When I check out the piano ads, particularly the freebees, there are certain brands that catch my eye more so than others. Again, some are more tempting than others to take and go through the hassle of moving it, which is a HUGE chore.

So, the bottom line is, if you all really want to get rid of it, you have three choices... advertise it for free and see what happens, take it to the landfill or hire someone to take it to the landfill for you, or cannibalize some of the parts and panels off of it to keep for sentimental purposes or creative projects and discard the remainder.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Melynn #3003383 07/16/20 02:47 PM
M
Melynn Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Rick,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and informative message. Yeah, I am definitely not looking to sell it or make money from it but my mind always goes to a place like, does someone else find it valuable? Maybe not from a monetary standpoint but someone may value having it more than us. And could you imagine if it did hold a monetary value and I totally ripped it apart and took it to the landfill. Oh dear....lol. I just wanted to make sure we were not trashing something worth finding an owner for....if that makes sense.
But yeah...we are capable of taking it apart and transporting it...but somewhere in my heart it hurts watching it happen. My kids have had so much fun learning to play it...even if it is old and dusty.

I am going to try one more time to find it a new home and if I am not successful...well, I guess hubby will win.

Thank you once again and happy piano searching and playing!

Sincerely,
Mel

Melynn #3003387 07/16/20 03:03 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Try listing your piano through https://pianoadoption.com/

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Melynn #3003394 07/16/20 03:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Melynn, I too hate seeing these great old pianos being sent to the dump. I acquired a 1927 Kurtzmann and decided to restore it. I bought some books, but mostly learned all I needed from YouTube. If that interests you, you might consider trying it on your piano. All told I'll probably spend $1,000 in parts, but I am replacing hammers and strings. Other than that, it's just elbow grease. You might be able to get away with less if you don't have to replace as much.

It has been a very rewarding process so far, and one I highly recommend to piano lovers if you have the time and space.

Kawai MP11SE
souped up Kawai GL10
Emery Wang #3003552 07/17/20 03:38 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Emery Wang
Melynn, I too hate seeing these great old pianos being sent to the dump. I acquired a 1927 Kurtzmann and decided to restore it. I bought some books, but mostly learned all I needed from YouTube. If that interests you, you might consider trying it on your piano. All told I'll probably spend $1,000 in parts, but I am replacing hammers and strings. Other than that, it's just elbow grease. You might be able to get away with less if you don't have to replace as much.

It has been a very rewarding process so far, and one I highly recommend to piano lovers if you have the time and space.

Emery Wang,

I am so impressed! I admire the courage to jump into something that requires such a depth of understanding beyond the surface task. I wish you every bit of good luck for a very positive result.

Detail oriented work like piano action work and restringing can be "centering" and have a "zen" element to it, but the details in such an exercise can take many years to master. Action regulation alone can take quite some time to understand. "Correct" is not always "right" and specs. are really only a guide to an experienced technician. Many people would be intimidated by a project like that. Bravo!

Anyway, now I can't wait to see a video of your piano when it is complete - or maybe a stage by stage vlog??

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
W. Hoffmann (Langlau)
by Lijpe_Tjap - 08/07/20 02:30 PM
rhythm vs beautiful sound/overall effect.
by daoc2009 - 08/07/20 01:08 PM
Sforzandi in Beethoven
by samwitdangol - 08/07/20 11:27 AM
Production Voices - sfz libs are on sale
by VladK - 08/07/20 10:14 AM
Top end digital pianos??
by Chrisgilx - 08/07/20 10:00 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,779
Posts2,989,143
Members98,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission