2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
It seems performing on a Steinway D at pianofest opened my eyes when it comes to judging vst's.

For some time I ditched Garritan cfx because I felt tired of it's sound, and loved embertone's walker sound, so I only played that for a while. Well, I still love the walker for it's sound, and will use it from time to time, but now I think I finally fully understand why garritans cfx gets so much praise around here. It just responds, and sounds, the closest to the real thing, comparing the libaries I own, it's playability exceeds everything else.

Also something I noticed, it's the only libary that's perfectly playable for me on my vpc1 with a flat velocity curve, I feel no need for adjustements so far, I think that says something.

As an amateur figuring things out on his own, I didn't really see this before, but as time goes on and I get better at playing, and with ever growing enthousiasm, and using better equipement, now I do. So now, this is my main vst again, and now I really want nothing that responds any less. I guess now only VSL is another option for me then? smirk

Anyone know if Garritan as a company is alive? Or are they done? I would like them to release a Steinway D of the same quality as their cfx.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Be ready to spend a lot of time tweaking the setting if you buy VSL. I just don't think the out-of-box setting is any good. But the flexibility of the setting is almost endless just like Pianoteq.

Also curious that OP you still have the opportunity to perform on a Steinway D during the pandemic?

Last edited by Harpuia; 07/14/20 03:05 PM.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Be ready to spend a lot of time tweaking the setting if you buy VSL. I just don't think the out-of-box setting is any good. But the flexibility of the setting is almost endless just like Pianoteq.

Also curious that OP you still have the opportunity to perform on a Steinway D during the pandemic?

Ok, well I think i'm used to that already, haha. But how does the playability of VSL's libaries compare to garritan cfx? As good? Better?

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I do think VSL pianos react to my touch a bit better than Garritan as I started to use close mics more. If I only use close mics on Garritan CFX the sound is less inspiring.

However, Garritan really did ambience well. I'm pretty sure for VSL you can get similar ambiance effect since you have 10 pairs of microphones to play with. It requires a powerful computer though. Overall I would say they are different beasts and it really needs some adjustments when switching over.

VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Numbers don't do it for me. I only need one mic. The more-is-better notion is unappealing to me.\
I think they should get it right once, and not wrong all the other times.

U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Numbers don't do it for me. I only need one mic. The more-is-better notion is unappealing to me.\

I agree with that. The thing is there isn't really only a right or wrong with this, I think. It's also very much a matter of different preferences, and so I do think numbers do count.

That said, too many options can get confusing and annoying as well, and I'm not planning on getting a full version. Who knows, maybe if I'm totally blown away and want more.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Not everyone has the same preference and one mic would significantly limit the potential for creating different nuanced sounds.

Multiple mics simply give a greater variety to shaping the sound.

God Bless,
David

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
One mic makes for a mono sound 😛 Let them be a pair at least.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
I think choice is often a cover for not knowing what works well.

My best pianos offer no mic choices. The engineers chose well.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The multiple microphones are more useful than just being able to combine lots at once.

It is being to pick the microphone that works best for you. For example there are three different close mics. A ribbon, a tube and a condenser. Not all in exactly the same location but all placed close to the piano. These different 🎙 have different characteristics. As a user you can choose the microphone that works best for you.

My feeling is, there is value in this that gives you the ability to experiment to find the mix from 1 to many 🎙 🎙 in a way you can’t do with other VSTs. Varying type and location of the 🎙.

For example, one thing is I do not use any reverb, but instead use a distant 🎙 to provide a recorded reverb.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I do think that VSL creates too many options for casual users. However I saw David Lai is satisfied with 2 mics of the standard Steinway on a modest machine so maybe that should be fine.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Setting up a recording rig with multiple mics is not an easy task and is not going to necessarily improve your recording unless a complex recording rig/engineering and a near-perfect anechoic room are available. My humble guess is that for an average VST maker, three mics are challenging enough. Just thinking of how to fix the phasing issues drives me crazy and that's the first and easiest thing to fix probably.

Kawai's anechoic recording room for Shiegero Grand:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Abdol; 07/14/20 06:11 PM.
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Harpuia
I do think that VSL creates too many options for casual users.

They could counter this by creating good presets, but judging by the opinions I have read on here that doesn't seem to be the case with vsl libraries.

I don't like the presets on garritan cfx much either.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
One little thing I wonder about is whether having so many mics setup at *simultaneously* affects the recorded sound at all, because Earthworks say that one advantage of their piano mic setup is how little it disturbs the "acoustic sound field". I'm assuming they have all mics set up together - it would be a mammoth task to take multiple samples with each mic position, separately.

Not your best work, IMHO. laugh

Greg

T
T
Originally Posted by U3piano
It seems performing on a Steinway D at pianofest opened my eyes when it comes to judging vst's.
For some time I ditched Garritan cfx because I felt tired of it's sound, and loved embertone's walker sound, so I only played that for a while. Well, I still love the walker for it's sound, and will use it from time to time, but now I think I finally fully understand why garritans cfx gets so much praise around here. It just responds, and sounds, the closest to the real thing, comparing the libaries I own, it's playability exceeds everything else.
Also something I noticed, it's the only libary that's perfectly playable for me on my vpc1 with a flat velocity curve, I feel no need for adjustements so far, I think that says something
That's a very stark statement. Thank you for sharing!
I don't have that much ops on acoustic so it's very reassuring that I can stick with CFX.

[Kawai VPC1 / ES100 & Casio CT-S1 - VSTs: Boesendorfer 280VC (VSL), C. Bechstein (PT7+) & HB Steinway D, Steingraeber, Bluethner & K2 (PT8.2.0+) - Ableton Live Lite - Presonus iOne / iTwo - Sennheiser HD6xx - iloud micro monitors]
U
U3piano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by TonyDIGITAL
That's a very stark statement. Thank you for sharing!
I don't have that much ops on acoustic so it's very reassuring that I can stick with CFX.

Exactly why i thought i'd share my experience and newly formed opinion. smile

I forgot to add I also play synthogy's American D sometimes, but same as the walker, it has a nice sound but it isn't up to the level of garritan cfx in terms of realism and playability.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
One little thing I wonder about is whether having so many mics setup at *simultaneously* affects the recorded sound at all, because Earthworks say that one advantage of their piano mic setup is how little it disturbs the "acoustic sound field". I'm assuming they have all mics set up together - it would be a mammoth task to take multiple samples with each mic position, separately.

Earthworks mics are omnidirectional. In this type of mic, the higher frequencies aren't really omnidirectional at all, and this mainly has to do with the microphone body interfering with its acoustic environment. One solution is to have a very small enclosure housing the "business end". This type of mic suffers from a poor signal-to-noise ratio, so they're not a substitute for the more common omnis like the DPAs that VSL uses for the Decca Tree.

The effect of the mic body only affects the mic itself. Having multiple mics set up at the piano simultaneously doesn't make any significant difference. The VSL pianos don't use omnis at the piano at all, so this doesn't really make any difference.

Last edited by johnstaf; 07/14/20 07:02 PM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks John.

Greg

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
👍

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by sullivang
Thanks John.

Greg
Originally Posted by johnstaf
👍

John is a mic guru. Impressive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission